Interesting article about warming up your car.

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 12:14 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,050 Posts
In your weather, you'd be lucky to get a diesel engine to start at all.
Old 01-10-2011, 12:21 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 196 Likes on 99 Posts
Originally Posted by Aman
In your weather, you'd be lucky to get a diesel engine to start at all.

Sometimes they don't. When they do, it's not very pleasant for them. Oil heaters, coolant heaters, and air intake heaters can only do so much. In -35 to -45 conditions, better just to leave them run. Diesels will idle contently for weeks.

Terry
Old 01-10-2011, 12:21 PM

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by SharksBreath
SouthernBoy, couple of questions for you.

north east (as you know) is pretty cold right this time of year. i recently moved, and now my work is about 3-5 mins from my house.

i usually start my car, have a smoke (outside of the car), then hop in and keep the rpms relatively low all the way to work. keep in mind, my work is only a few mins away from my house...so i know nothing is fully warmed up in my car by the time i arrive at work.

should i be worried my xlr8 exhaust will flake out prematurely?

should i take the scenic route and hop on the highway for a few minutes each morning, instead of taking the 5 min route?
Why don't you just walk if you're so close? Sounds like you'd be there by the time you finished your cigarette.
Old 01-10-2011, 12:36 PM
BANNED

Received 2,885 Likes on 1,784 Posts
Originally Posted by Aman
IMO you'll be spending more money than you'll save by extending your commute just to warm the car up.
what do you mean spending VS saving money?

this was never really about money, more about how these short cold trips will effect my car.

1. start car when it's freezing outside
2. drive very short amount of time to work
3. shut off car.
4. me wondering how much my car hates me for doing this.

Originally Posted by Street Spirit
Why don't you just walk if you're so close? Sounds like you'd be there by the time you finished your cigarette.
it's not exactly walking distance, plus it was 20deg this morning and every morning. i also have errands to run after work, so i need my car here.
Old 01-10-2011, 12:45 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,050 Posts
I meant any damage you cause by driving such a short distance in the cold probably wouldn't be as expensive as the extra gas used to avoid that damage.
Old 01-10-2011, 12:50 PM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
Originally Posted by SharksBreath
alright well i've got the v3 jpipe (rids of 3rd cat), and xlr8 exhaust, no resonators only mufflers.

...so basically what i'm trying to avoid is any wear/tear on my exhaust components. i feel like if i just do the short 3-5 min drive, nothing will be warmed up whatsoever towards the back end of the system. you know what i mean?

i guess i should lengthen my commute some, so that everything gets up to operating temps. i know these short stop n go trips are not the most ideal thing...
Short stop and go's. No, they're really not the best for your engine and exhaust. Sometimes they're hard to avoid.

Maryland is in the South, though some of your legislators introduced a resolution recently disclaiming that.... interesting. Most of the local news wogheads refer to our dual metro area as the mid-Atlantic. As a physical designation of types, this is not far off. But as a regional description, you would think they would know better. But then again, these are the same types who don't know the difference between the words "bring" and "take" or how to correctly use them in a sentence.
Old 01-10-2011, 12:53 PM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
Originally Posted by teranfon
I would argue the article makes a few generalizations that do not apply to all start up conditions. First off, everyone's interpretation of "cold" and "winter" is different depending where you live and the time of year. For the next few days it will be -35 here, and there is no way I would start one of my vehicles and drive away after a few seconds. I wonder if the author has seen an oil pressure gauge taking a second or two to move and heard a power steering pump squeal away upon a very cold start up. At the other extreme, some of my trucks spike oil pressure at cold start up in winter conditions because the oil is way too thick from being cold. Secondly, as mirror mentioned, idling does not hurt a car equipped with modern fuel injection and electronics. I'm sure many here who commute spend much of their time idling away in traffic. Ten seconds is all you need? There isn't enough time for me to go into the different expansion rate of aluminum pistons and steel cylinder liners. I also think diesel and turbocharged engines, becoming much more common, would need much more than ten seconds.

Personally, I think the article makes some good points, but far too generalized to be taken seriously for all winter conditions.

Terry
Minus 35?? Sorry to say this, but better you than I, Terry. That's freakin' cold.
Old 01-10-2011, 01:06 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Most of that article is BS at best or exaggerating.
I dont think some of the sources have ever seen or driven in cold weather. 10 sec is NOT all you need in some weather. Idling wont hurt anything other than the ozone. Winter time for work, my car NEVER gets shut off other than lunch break (no engine issues period). I will usually let it run a good 10 min before i drive off in the am. Ever hear all the components in a car in -20 weather? Moan and Groan, 10 sec isnt enough.

Originally Posted by teranfon
I would argue the article makes a few generalizations that do not apply to all start up conditions. First off, everyone's interpretation of "cold" and "winter" is different depending where you live and the time of year. For the next few days it will be -35 here, and there is no way I would start one of my vehicles and drive away after a few seconds. I wonder if the author has seen an oil pressure gauge taking a second or two to move and heard a power steering pump squeal away upon a very cold start up. At the other extreme, some of my trucks spike oil pressure at cold start up in winter conditions because the oil is way too thick from being cold. Secondly, as mirror mentioned, idling does not hurt a car equipped with modern fuel injection and electronics. I'm sure many here who commute spend much of their time idling away in traffic. Ten seconds is all you need? There isn't enough time for me to go into the different expansion rate of aluminum pistons and steel cylinder liners. I also think diesel and turbocharged engines, becoming much more common, would need much more than ten seconds.

Personally, I think the article makes some good points, but far too generalized to be taken seriously for all winter conditions.

Terry
I agree 100%
Old 01-10-2011, 01:08 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by KaMLuNg
can you answer me this? how is your tranny and the tranny fluid getting warmed up if you aren't moving?

Because the motor is still turning the trans/gears and pumping the fluid thus heating the fluid. Just because you arent moving dosnt mean that nothing isnt moving. Also many cars have warmers on them (many hondas have radiator coolant that helps warm the trans for cold weather)
Old 01-10-2011, 03:34 PM
Someday, an RS6 Avant+

Received 1,025 Likes on 543 Posts
Originally Posted by Crazy Acura

I idle till the RPMs drop a little then i go. Drive under 2700rpm till the oil temp is up.

All fluids tend to warm up faster this way instead of idling.

My Subaru, upon start up, goes to 1500 rpm and stays there for about 30 seconds, then is comes down. And my coolant temp gauge has a blue light, letting me know it is not warm. This means no sport# mode for the transmission. So I give it about 30 seconds, then it settles in and off I go.

The coldest we see here is about 50F, so not really a winter thing.
Old 01-10-2011, 04:01 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,090 Likes on 767 Posts
Originally Posted by fsttyms1
Because the motor is still turning the trans/gears and pumping the fluid thus heating the fluid. Just because you arent moving dosnt mean that nothing isnt moving. Also many cars have warmers on them (many hondas have radiator coolant that helps warm the trans for cold weather)
ok? and for those of us that have a diff? do we need to warm that up too?
Old 01-10-2011, 04:04 PM
i heart latin chicks

Received 64 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Rapture
I mostly did it because I always believed oil pressure was high on a cold engine.
oil pressure is higher when the engine is cold
Old 01-10-2011, 04:27 PM
Punk Rocker

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts
I let mine warm up for 20-30 secs before leaving. Also no heavy acceleration til fully warmed.
Old 01-10-2011, 05:46 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by KaMLuNg
ok? and for those of us that have a diff? do we need to warm that up too?
A diff as in a center or rear diff in something like a AWD or RWD will only get heated by movement. Trans fluid like stated before is being pumped and circulated with the motor running (especially autos)
Old 01-10-2011, 06:48 PM
Trolling Canuckistan

Received 811 Likes on 644 Posts
Originally Posted by fsttyms1
A diff as in a center or rear diff in something like a AWD or RWD will only get heated by movement. Trans fluid like stated before is being pumped and circulated with the motor running (especially autos)
But also manuals?
Old 01-10-2011, 08:02 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by black label
But also manuals?
Depends on how its designed but most yes. They are spinning as well as the clutch isnt depressed. Manuals are a little less effected any way as they are gear on gear mesh. They dont have the fluid pressure like autos and multiple clutchplates that need the fluid to get to them right away.
Old 01-10-2011, 09:09 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 439 Likes on 322 Posts
I live in socal, most of the cold starts for me this season is about 45 degrees, I usually let my car warm up 30seconds to a minute, sometimes longer if I am loading the car or something.

So I'm gonna guess and say in my location I dont need a much needed warm up? What I do will suffice, or should I warm the car up a little longer?
Old 01-11-2011, 01:52 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by speedemon90
I live in socal, most of the cold starts for me this season is about 45 degrees, I usually let my car warm up 30seconds to a minute, sometimes longer if I am loading the car or something.

So I'm gonna guess and say in my location I dont need a much needed warm up? What I do will suffice, or should I warm the car up a little longer?
dont need much in your climate.
Old 01-11-2011, 02:52 PM
Your garage

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I let my S4 idle for a minute or so before I take off. The 4.2L V8 has a timing chain instead of a belt. Between the chain tensioners and the chain is essentially a plastic guide that is sometimes prone to failure (check this out: http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...build-Pictures). By keeping the RPMs low and letting oil properly circulate through the chain, it is my belief that the guides will last a little longer. It's around $5000 to pull the motor and fix all the broken bits; I'll take my chances and let it idle for a bit.

All of my others cars I just stick into gear and go.
Old 01-11-2011, 03:37 PM
mmmmmm....

Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts
Originally Posted by mrmako

My Subaru, upon start up, goes to 1500 rpm and stays there for about 30 seconds, then is comes down. And my coolant temp gauge has a blue light, letting me know it is not warm. This means no sport# mode for the transmission. So I give it about 30 seconds, then it settles in and off I go.

The coldest we see here is about 50F, so not really a winter thing.
My bro had that on his Legacy GT. I loved it.
Old 01-11-2011, 04:02 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 638 Likes on 276 Posts
I do wonder how many people mistaken the coolant temp gauge for an oil temp.
Old 01-11-2011, 05:48 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,016 Likes on 1,435 Posts
Originally Posted by Crazy Acura
I do wonder how many people mistaken the coolant temp gauge for an oil temp.
I wonder sometimes too.

As far as warming up a car goes, newer cars are designed to run rich for the first few minutes to dump extra fuel on the catalysts so they can warm up faster and help reduce toxins. This is why you see the car rev at 1500 or so RPM's and then drop to around 1000.

I find that if I turn on my car, set HVAC, get out and check tires and body, get back in, turn on radio and but on my seatbelt that the car is more than likely ready to go. Adding on to that, driving easy for the first few minutes is also good. Then again, that' usually in lower temps like the 40's. If it's colder I usually let it sit for about a minute and then get going.
Old 01-12-2011, 01:36 AM
S E L L

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts
My TL is garaged so I just get in the car, press the garage door opener, start the car. When the door is fully open I pull out, close the garage door and then drive off. Altogether that probably takes about 30 seconds.
Old 01-12-2011, 08:42 AM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Up in MT right now its COLD, I like my car warm, 10-13min warm up 5days a week for me..
Old 01-12-2011, 09:18 AM
Not Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts
When I had my Corvette, all the vette guys said to not go under heavy throttle until the car was warm because of the thermostat was not open and causes pressure in the lines since the loop is closed. Also, will wear out your water pump faster and when an LT1 water pump goes out it ruins the electronic distribution system below it.
Old 01-12-2011, 10:27 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by Gfaze
My TL is garaged so I just get in the car, press the garage door opener, start the car. When the door is fully open I pull out, close the garage door and then drive off. Altogether that probably takes about 30 seconds.
lucky for you guys on the west coast where winter doesn't really exist. try doing that in -20 degrees weather with windchill -40 and see what happens....

in the summer when the temp is 80+, i do the same...just start it and go.