Interesting Article

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2015, 09:27 PM
Superstressed

Received 86 Likes on 84 Posts
Interesting Article

I apologize if this is a re-post.

Should we punish drivers who dawdle in the left lane?
Old 06-03-2015, 10:17 AM
2024 Honda Civic Type R

Received 1,454 Likes on 923 Posts
Originally Posted by MSN
David Ober had plenty of time to ponder this particular first-world frustration during one of his regular trips down to Indianapolis in January — when, yet again, found himself stuck behind someone dilly-dallying in the left lane.

“He was going way under the speed limit,” Ober recalls. “And he would not move over even though he was clearly able to move over.”

So Ober, who is an Indiana state representative, decided a legislative fix was in order. In May, Gov. Mike Pence signed into law Ober’s new measure, which imposes a harsh penalty on left-lane slowpokes.

When the law takes effect in July, all cars traveling in the left lane will have to yield to faster traffic coming from behind. It doesn’t matter what speed you’re going. If you don’t move to the right, that’s a $500 fine.
Interesting article. Every day in Chicago I face drivers like this - hanging in the left lane when the right lane is open, forcing me to pass them on the right. Sometimes I will flash my brights like I've seen in Europe, hoping that they would move over. If they don't, I'm forced to pass them on the right. And when it is deemed necessary I'll try to remind them to move over with a gentle motion of the thumb to the right lane. I don't drive like an idiot but I don't appreciate it when someone is holding up traffic in the left lane without any good reason at all. Sometimes they'll be on their phones, not paying attention to anyone else around them. Sometimes they are just in la-la land content with going at or below the speed limit while traffic piles up behind them.

I welcome the idea of a law that prevents this, but I find it will be very hard to enforce. This pretty much requires a police car traveling in the lane with traffic at the time to be able to determine someone is holding up the left lane. And then at that point, if someone passes on the right and picks up their speed (which probably wouldn't happen if they know a police car is in close proximity), would the police car take the time to pull over the left lane driver or go for the right lane passer?

It all reminds me of this video:

I think it all comes down to education. I wish the states would put up more signs that say "slower traffic keep right" on all roads, not just interstates. It's common courtesy as well. And, as the article mentioned, I think it could help reduce road rage as well. Don't block someone in and no one will get angry.

Now, for some nice image reminders.

This is a joke because Illinois is listed as always but no one follows it. Speaking of "unless turning left", I have seen drivers sit in the left lane for a mile or two because they are going to be making a left turn. Did they really think they wouldn't ever have a chance to move over to the left lane once they were closer to their turn? Drivers would be happy to let you in the left lane to make an upcoming turn as long as you don't sit in it for a mile or two.

Interesting Article-eva1oxy.jpg

At least start pulling over drivers that do this and warn them, as the Georgia State Patrolman has done. Educate. Make it known that doing this is severely frowned upon.
Old 06-03-2015, 10:38 AM
Stay Out Of the Left Lane

Received 1,236 Likes on 1,023 Posts
This really needs to be enforced. A guy who works for me was pulled over by a State Trooper but was only given a verbal warning - which is fine, but needs to happen more often. And even still you have the folks that move to the right when they see you and then move back to the left once you pass -
Old 06-03-2015, 06:28 PM
Stage 1 Audi S5

Received 1,157 Likes on 682 Posts
Seem to remember a thread like this in ramblings that went well but....slow people in the left lane destroys 95 in the morning around Miami. Yes, there is a lot of traffic but they make it so much worse, especially with all the blinker less cars flying around them on the right.
Old 06-03-2015, 07:09 PM
Race Director

Received 596 Likes on 430 Posts
People on the 101 near SLO are horrible offenders of this. Yes, it's only two lanes in both directions, but NOBODY drives with a sense of urgency out there.

In the last few months, I've seen several people get in front of the slow moving car, and point over to the right lane before angrily taking off.
Old 06-03-2015, 07:13 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

Received 1,484 Likes on 1,048 Posts
$500 is a little nuts, IMO. But it would be nice to start to see this enforced, especially through major metropolitan areas.

Around here it's not bad outside of the city. Within limits it's a lost cause.
Old 06-03-2015, 08:08 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by Aman
$500 is a little nuts, IMO. But it would be nice to start to see this enforced, especially through major metropolitan areas.

Around here it's not bad outside of the city. Within limits it's a lost cause.
I think 500 should be first offense and even stiffer after that! As someone who averages 50k to 100k miles a year of driving, I can NOT stand all the inconsiderate, head up their asses, too busy day dreaming A-holes that just ride in the left lane like they own it. It only makes for Aggressive driving by others, more chances being taken by others to get around them and lots of congestion.
Old 06-03-2015, 08:47 PM
Superstressed

It was late when I posted this last night. I should have clarified that the article was interesting to me because I've never heard of this law before this article. As many people have said, enforcing this law will be difficult. Don't get me wrong, I am all for this law. Connecticut has 90% of this country's oblivious, lack of courtesy, disrespectful drivers. Of course, that statistic is just what it feels like to me, being in outside sales and on the road a lot.

It's a shame what driving in this country has become. I'm lucky enough to get to Germany every few years. People in Europe still view driving as a privilege. I don't recall ever seeing anyone in Europe doing anything but driving while they're behind the wheel.

Originally Posted by RPhilMan1
Interesting article. Every day in Chicago I face drivers like this - hanging in the left lane when the right lane is open, forcing me to pass them on the right. Sometimes I will flash my brights like I've seen in Europe, hoping that they would move over. If they don't, I'm forced to pass them on the right. And when it is deemed necessary I'll try to remind them to move over with a gentle motion of the thumb to the right lane. I don't drive like an idiot but I don't appreciate it when someone is holding up traffic in the left lane without any good reason at all. Sometimes they'll be on their phones, not paying attention to anyone else around them. Sometimes they are just in la-la land content with going at or below the speed limit while traffic piles up behind them.

I welcome the idea of a law that prevents this, but I find it will be very hard to enforce. This pretty much requires a police car traveling in the lane with traffic at the time to be able to determine someone is holding up the left lane. And then at that point, if someone passes on the right and picks up their speed (which probably wouldn't happen if they know a police car is in close proximity), would the police car take the time to pull over the left lane driver or go for the right lane passer?

It all reminds me of this video:

I think it all comes down to education. I wish the states would put up more signs that say "slower traffic keep right" on all roads, not just interstates. It's common courtesy as well. And, as the article mentioned, I think it could help reduce road rage as well. Don't block someone in and no one will get angry.

This is a joke because Illinois is listed as always but no one follows it. Speaking of "unless turning left", I have seen drivers sit in the left lane for a mile or two because they are going to be making a left turn. Did they really think they wouldn't ever have a chance to move over to the left lane once they were closer to their turn? Drivers would be happy to let you in the left lane to make an upcoming turn as long as you don't sit in it for a mile or two.

At least start pulling over drivers that do this and warn them, as the Georgia State Patrolman has done. Educate. Make it known that doing this is severely frowned upon.
Great video and graphics RPhilMan1. The guy narrating is funny as sh1t. I agree with everything you've said in your post. Wait until your my age and have really logged some miles.

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
I think 500 should be first offense and even stiffer after that! As someone who averages 50k to 100k miles a year of driving, I can NOT stand all the inconsiderate, head up their asses, too busy day dreaming A-holes that just ride in the left lane like they own it. It only makes for Aggressive driving by others, more chances being taken by others to get around them and lots of congestion.
Perfectly stated.
Old 06-03-2015, 09:23 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts
I know around here the state troopers LOVE to go after people in the left lane....

a few more things that are crappy

1. trying to run people down or refusing to move over when you obviously can when they are merging into the freeway.

2. in construction zones where it is backed up and people are entering from the left or right ramps. in those cases people are supposed to let 1 car in (you know alternate) and people refuse to do that...

3. Rolling the red light and cutting off the people with the green.

4. Stupid people Jaywalking on a green light and then having the audacity to flip you off as you nearly run them over.
Old 06-03-2015, 09:33 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

Received 1,484 Likes on 1,048 Posts
I dislike them as much as the next guy, but that's more than some safety-related fines - red light/stop sign running, excessive speeding, etc. Left lane hogging isn't as dangerous as that.
Old 06-04-2015, 08:26 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by Aman
I dislike them as much as the next guy, but that's more than some safety-related fines - red light/stop sign running, excessive speeding, etc. Left lane hogging isn't as dangerous as that.
No, its not as dangerous as red light running but it is still dangerous and leads to aggression/road rage, i see it every day. Someone doing 80 in a 70 and paying attention is far less dangerous than someone stepping on it taking the risk to try to cut in between other cars to try to get in front of the jack-hole just sitting there unwilling to move over. Sure there are other safety related fines that can be handed out by those trying to get around the person sitting in the left lane, but the simple fact is is there wouldnt be the need if the person just sitting there would get out of the way. The Left lane was designed for passing. Not to sit next to the car in the right lane and keep pace with him so no one can get past because you feel you are going fast enough and no one needs to be going faster. That decision isnt up to that person. And it really pisses me off when said person gets pissed and irritated by someone riding their ass. They wouldnt have that issue if they just moved over.
Old 06-04-2015, 08:44 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts
I didn't think of it earlier but here is the perfect car for dealing with idiots in the street blocking traffic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPBQkY3tPH8

AWD for that time when you need extra traction mowing down stupid...
Old 06-04-2015, 09:39 PM
Superstressed

Originally Posted by YeuEmMaiMai
I didn't think of it earlier but here is the perfect car for dealing with idiots in the street blocking traffic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPBQkY3tPH8

AWD for that time when you need extra traction mowing down stupid...
Haven't seen that video before. I think it would be nice just to be able to coax the left lane slackers out of the way with a nice nudge. Like this minus the sirens lol.

Old 06-05-2015, 12:19 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
There is a group called 'Left Lane Prius' which brings awareness of this exact issue.