I can't decide between an 05 TL or an 05 Corvette

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2004, 06:06 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Corvette or TL? or did you mean Corvette or a Dodge Viper?

Seriously though... if you want some luxury and a nice traveling ride get the TL. If you want a fun speedy racer, get the Corvette. I can't see anyone taking a long country side road trip in a Corvette and still be comfortable by the end of it. Get the TL if you plan to take trips and like a nice ride! Get the vette if you just want something to race around town and go fast.

Corvette ------------>

Acura TL ----------> Back Seat ---->
Old 08-27-2004, 07:18 PM
Bears Rule!(Well, kinda')

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Get the vette if and ONLY if it comes with a chest wig and big gold chains. If not, go with the TL.
Old 08-27-2004, 08:38 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 370 Likes on 209 Posts
Originally Posted by Flanagan
IMO the TL is a world-class car. It has shown that it can hang with the big guys in its class (BMW, M-B, Jag, Audi, etc) in spite of its FWD layout. The Corvette, on the ther hand, is a joke everywhere but America. Sure, we live in America, so who cares, right? Well, it does give some insight into what other cultures look for in a car, and I tend to agree with them more than most Americans. Generally (warning: umbrella statement ) Americans look for a car that is "nice" or "fast" or "cool looking", rather than the things that really matter when driving: good combination of ride/handling, ergonomics, overall quality, value for money, etc. Power is give and take. It's nice to know that you can smoke the guy sitting next to you at the light, but power is also relative. Someone who has never driven a car with more than 200 hp will think the TL is extremely fast. Someone who is used to driving a fully built Supra will think that a Corvette is slow, so I'll not discuss the power differences here. That said, let's compare the two vehicles in question along these that matter most (to me ) :

The Corvette is damped like a brick and understeers until you punch the throttle, at which point the tail will start to come around. It loves going straight, not so happy in the corners. The TL is damped comfortably, and remains mostly neutral, shading towards understeer. Sure, it doesn't have the absolute handling limit of the Corvette, but that is mostly due to contact patch.

Corvette ergonomics are horrendous. It feels backwards to me. Nothing is where I would like it, and some things are difficult to reach or work (switches obscured by steering wheels and shift lever, etc). The TL does have its ergonomic foibles, but it is sound for the most part.

As for quality, it's no comparison. The Corvette has panel gaps you can see from across a parking lot and interior plastics that resemble the texture and feel of coal. The interior is wholly depressing with all its hide-of-the-wild-naugabeast dark gray matter sucking up all the happy. For '05, they painted a few things silver, but kept all the 1/2" seams and naugahide tetures. The TL uses modern quality soft-touch plastics which are pattern matched to the leather and real aluminum trim (though it's too thin). Plus it's made by Honda, so barring the few squeaky cogs on this site, will work reliably and unremarkably for the duration.

As far as value for money, with the Corvette you are paying for a name and a reputation that exists in America only. For the same money, you can buy an M3 or a used M5, an Audi S4, or a Jag S-type R, all of which have near the power of the Corvette plus damn near the comfort and generally better handling than that of the TL. They are all overall superior cars ot the Corvette.
With the TL, you are paying for componentry and quality. For the same money, you can buy a BMW 325i with few options, an Audi A4 1.8t with options or 3.0 with nothing, a Jag X-type, a Subaru WRX STi, etc, all of which are overall inferior cars to the TL.

Phew.

PS I don't own either car, I drive a '98 2.3CL, so either would be an upgrade for me!
You are one ingnorant individual. You clearly are way out of date on the Corvette. As stated in posts above, I have owned two C5's (and one C4 - just for the record). I am not what you might consider the stereotypical Corvette owner either. At 51 years old, I have owned 47 cars. Over half have been foreign. My earlier sports cars were RX-7 Mazdas.

For a little more of my background, I have roadraced mortorcycles, and have done some autocrossing and drag racing. I have a number of trophies to show that I'm an above average driver.

The C5 Corvette is considered a world class sports car. The new C6 even more so. It has circled Neurenburg (sp?) as fast as a Porsche Twin Turbo. If you don't think it can handle, come on down to Houston and let me take you for a ride in mine. I think you have a lot to learn about the newer Corvettes.

Your points on how the Corvette is looked at in other countries means nothing. Would you care to cite your sources? Read any of the road tests on the Corvette since the C5 came out in 1997. They drive sports cars from all over the world, and they always give the Corvette credit for being a world class sports car.
Old 08-27-2004, 09:40 PM
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by mrtgman
What do you guys think? I have never really been a Vette fan but man that 05 looks sweet! Nice redesign and with 400hp it's gotta fly! Any corvette owners or previous owners have any input to share?

if i have extra 25k, take corvette anytime
Old 08-27-2004, 09:43 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
yeah, vette all the way, unless you want tech features...but for your area get the vette! i was driving the 05 about 3 weeks ago (VP of GM is family friend) gotta love the push button start and stop :-D
Old 08-27-2004, 11:06 PM
Renaissance Man

Originally Posted by jjsC5
You are one ingnorant individual. You clearly are way out of date on the Corvette.... They drive sports cars from all over the world, and they always give the Corvette credit for being a world class sports car.
I am hardly an ignorant individual and I am not out of date on the Corvette. I don't care to know your background or how you are qualified to disagree with me. Anyone is qualified to disagree with me! However, I only cited the Corvette's reputation in other countries to make my point that, when using the mammalian brain (as opposed to the reptilian brain), the Corvette is not such a great car.

Once again, this is all my opinion. I don't look at cars based on their cool factor. Sure, I lust after the odd Ferrari just as much as the next guy, but when one doesn't have the financial flexibility to justify a lustful purchase as expensive as a car, I believe that rational thinking should intervene. And my rational thinking is telling me that I'd buy a TL over a Corvette. But, if I were to become indpendently wealthy, I would buy cars with my reptilian brain. But I still wouldn't buy a Corvette. There are much cooler cars available.

Oh, as for sources, magazines such as CAR and EVO, as well as the television shows TopGear and 5th Gear, all from England, for a start. In fact, I'll throw out some quotes from the recent TopGear review of the C6:

Originally Posted by Richard Hammond from TopGear
"So this then is America's Porsche 911. But we've never really payed much attanetion to it here in Europe, because we have our own Porsche 911. It's called a Porsche 911."

"Now for the price, that may seem like a bargain. But quite sadly, there's alot of this car that's bargain basement."

"And there's more misery to come when you're driving it. The clutch is making my left leg hurt and the gearchange is out of a Victorian signal box."

"And then there's the chassis technology. The Corvette's rear suspension uses leaf springs. Let me make that live for you. If you went to your doctor's and he got a jar of leeches out. You know what I mean."

"Oh dear. Is this the pinnacle of American sports car icons? A plastic wedge with a horrible interior, clunky transmission, and suspension technology lifted from the Old Testament?"

"This is amazing, look at this! We're going 'round a bend! They don't have these in America, how did they know to do this? Sure, it only has leaf springs underneath, but then so did Charleton Heston's chariot, and look at the fun he had."

"There's the heads-up display. Now that's cool. It displays speed, revs, and all sorts. It's all very useful. But there's more. That's a G-meter. Now why would an American car need a G-meter?"

"That's a fast car! I mean it's nearly as quick as an Evo!"
To paraphrase, they were shocked that the Corvette could possibly be any good since the others American cars that they had tested were so terrible, in their opinions. Plus, they didn't drive one with the new Magnetronic (or whatever it's called) suspension option. So maybe the C6 will be a decent car. But it still doesn't beat out the TL IMO, because of the lackluster interior and quality issues, as I stated in my original post.

Anyway, take it easy, I'm not trying to offend anyone. This is all my opinion. I think I'm entitled to that. And I'll try to keep my posts shorten than 100 pages next time.
Old 08-27-2004, 11:14 PM
Racer

God, I miss Top Gear sooooo much! How do you get it, Flanagan?

Personally, won't ever buy another GM product. Had one VERY bad experience and will never go back.

To me, the Corvette has an image problem. Around here, they all seem to be driven by guys in their 50s who are trying too hard. There are now so many alternatives (350Z, etc), they must be losing ground. Oh, and a MANUAL roof in a car that costs that much?!?!?!
Old 08-27-2004, 11:21 PM
Renaissance Man

Originally Posted by Pot80h
God, I miss Top Gear sooooo much! How do you get it, Flanagan?

Personally, won't ever buy another GM product. Had one VERY bad experience and will never go back.

To me, the Corvette has an image problem. Around here, they all seem to be driven by guys in their 50s who are trying too hard. There are now so many alternatives (350Z, etc), they must be losing ground. Oh, and a MANUAL roof in a car that costs that much?!?!?!
http://gear.viper007bond.com/

They have full episodes there available through BitTorrent. The trackers are down for some of the episodes right now, and alot of the episodes aren't offfered at all, but it's a start. Once the season starts again, it'll pick back up.
Old 08-28-2004, 07:02 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 370 Likes on 209 Posts
Flanagan - Have you spent any time driving a C5? I have - so far over 30,000 miles - much of it on back roads and some of it autocrossing. That's why I think my opinion has merrit. I actually have one and know how it handles. I also know what others who have driven it have to say - including racers and road testers.

The quotes you show are typical of the brits. They talk about the "technogy". Sure it has a leaf spring. I could care less what is has, I care how it works. It's like knocking it for having a pushrod engine. So what. Mine has 350 hp with pushrods. The Z06 and new C6 have 405/400 hp with pushrods.

I referred to you as "ignorant" because your comments are totally the opposite of those who drive and test cars for a living, and those like myself who actually own them. You say you could care less about my experience (racing etc). Fair enough. You tell us what experience YOU have with driving competitively and how many miles YOU have behind the wheel of C5's, and we'll just let the people who read this forum decide who to believe. Oh, and if they want to believe the Brits - that's even better. Look at their history of turning out quality cars!!!
Old 08-28-2004, 07:28 AM
Racer

Get both and just drive the Corvette on weekends.
Old 08-28-2004, 07:57 AM
Racer

I hate American cars more than most folks (I've driven far too many bad ones), and GM in particular. However, if I could afford a Vette and didn't have to fit kids in the back, I'd probably be driving one. Sure the interior sucks (not sure about the C6), but that's not why you buy it. And from what I've heard, despite the incredible performance (power and handling), the ride is quite compliant. Sure there are other nice cars in the same price range, but not many (any?) with the performance per buck that you can get a Vette for. And a turbo-charge 4 (ala STi and Evo) just doesn't compare to an NA 8, so. Not too mention the extreme "boy racer" styling - good for the "kids" these days, but awkward looking for anyone over their mid-20s. Oops, I guess that's a stereotype too. Oh well.

And lastly, no offense, but the Brits are certainly not the people that I'd be taking automobile advice/comments from. Sure that's a generalization, but you get my point.
Old 08-28-2004, 08:00 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by ndabunka
Yea, why would you want the nice throaty sound of 400HP V8 when you could have the high-pitched girly winning of a 6-cyl running at marginal tolerance levels. More of those M3 have blown up than you would care to even know about.

ive owned high hp v8s from gm before. i know the difference between the cars, im not stupid. i was simply stating my preference for that kind of money. there are mamy reasons why i prefer the m3 over the vette. yes, i know they have touchy engines and yes i know it is 6cyl. thanks for making sure i was aware of those points though. i appreciate it its just my opinion and it would be my money not yours so relax.

why does everyone always have to believe that their opinion is the only one that is right.
Old 08-28-2004, 02:20 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by missmyprelude
And lastly, no offense, but the Brits are certainly not the people that I'd be taking automobile advice/comments from. Sure that's a generalization, but you get my point.
*AHEM* Now THERE"S an understatement!!! Speaking AS a Brit, I have to point out that, as a nation, we're just as viable as "Americans" as far as automobile feedback goes. I've heard bad reviews from US auto journos, just the same as I've heard them from British auto journos. But the Top Gear guys are exceptionally good and make no apology for any personal favoritism - there's none of this hidden bias like in some other shows and magazines.

Yes, some British cars have sucked, but so have some American cars (don't make me say "Pinto"!) But the Brits also get to drive some cool cars that (unfortunately) Americans don't - like the TVRs and, until recently, the Lotuses (Lotusi?).

The Corvette to Americans is an icon, and brings a whole suitcase full of nostalgia. The same thing is true of the Jaguar and MG's to the British. Personally, I wouldn't drive either - that's why I buy Japanese!!
Old 08-28-2004, 02:21 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by sleeks
why does everyone always have to believe that their opinion is the only one that is right.
I'm a woman - it's my job!
Old 08-28-2004, 04:10 PM
'06 750Li Sapphire/Creme

Originally Posted by mrtgman
Interesting That No One Has Mentioned The Stereotypes About Vette Drivers. Ya Know, Mid Life Crisis,balding, Etc... I Realize That These Are 2 Completely Differant Cars But I Guess It Will Come Down Down To Leasing Numbers. I Would Guess That The Vette Sales Guys Will Try To Play Games Based On The New Style Etc. So They Probably Won't Lease Well. Anyway I Did Not Like My C240 Because It Felt Very Cheap And Cramped Inside. The Ml320 That I Currently Have Is Very Basic, No Thrills, Boring!
The Stereotype thing is one of the reasons I bought my convertible corvette when I did (28 years old). At that time the only way I could afford it comfortbaly was to buy a used one. Mine was two years old and only had 8K on it when I bought it. Great toy at the time. A buddy of mine is buying one of the new convertible 05's. Said that most dealers are getting $5K OVER sticker for them. He was able to find one dealer (in the country) that was willing to sell it to him at list price. You will NOT find ANY dealing on the new 05's but if your open to an 04, you may get some dealing. As far as lease values... you should have no problem getting the car leased. The residual will be based off of the current model (in most cases). My recommendation is to only buy the vette if it's a third (or "toy") car. DO NOT buy it if it's a primary driver. Many miles on on vette is simply NOT A GOOD IDEA. When you go to sell, you will find that the majority of other sellers will have quite low miles on their cars and you may have to lower your price below any residual in order to compete in the aftermarket. Good luck. I didn't see your comments on the AMG...
Old 08-28-2004, 04:17 PM
'06 750Li Sapphire/Creme

Originally Posted by sleeks
ive owned high hp v8s from gm before. i know the difference between the cars, im not stupid. i was simply stating my preference for that kind of money. there are mamy reasons why i prefer the m3 over the vette. yes, i know they have touchy engines and yes i know it is 6cyl. thanks for making sure i was aware of those points though. i appreciate it its just my opinion and it would be my money not yours so relax.

Sorry for the flame. The "mini beemer" following on here just bugs me now and then. For the life of me I can't understand why some try to compare the 3's to the TL on here. I guess you weren't doing that so you didn't deserve the flame. My apologies. The M3 is a nice looking car and even though I'm not a fan I can see the attraction for many.
Old 08-28-2004, 05:04 PM
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
If you really didn't need a sedan, and you had a winter/rain car... get the Vette... you'll never regret it!
Old 09-01-2004, 02:36 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Flanagan
IMO the TL is a world-class car. It has shown that it can hang with the big guys in its class (BMW, M-B, Jag, Audi, etc) in spite of its FWD layout. The Corvette, on the ther hand, is a joke everywhere but America. Sure, we live in America, so who cares, right? Well, it does give some insight into what other cultures look for in a car, and I tend to agree with them more than most Americans. Generally (warning: umbrella statement ) Americans look for a car that is "nice" or "fast" or "cool looking", rather than the things that really matter when driving: good combination of ride/handling, ergonomics, overall quality, value for money, etc. Power is give and take. It's nice to know that you can smoke the guy sitting next to you at the light, but power is also relative. Someone who has never driven a car with more than 200 hp will think the TL is extremely fast. Someone who is used to driving a fully built Supra will think that a Corvette is slow, so I'll not discuss the power differences here. That said, let's compare the two vehicles in question along these that matter most (to me ) :

The Corvette is damped like a brick and understeers until you punch the throttle, at which point the tail will start to come around. It loves going straight, not so happy in the corners. The TL is damped comfortably, and remains mostly neutral, shading towards understeer. Sure, it doesn't have the absolute handling limit of the Corvette, but that is mostly due to contact patch.

Corvette ergonomics are horrendous. It feels backwards to me. Nothing is where I would like it, and some things are difficult to reach or work (switches obscured by steering wheels and shift lever, etc). The TL does have its ergonomic foibles, but it is sound for the most part.

As for quality, it's no comparison. The Corvette has panel gaps you can see from across a parking lot and interior plastics that resemble the texture and feel of coal. The interior is wholly depressing with all its hide-of-the-wild-naugabeast dark gray matter sucking up all the happy. For '05, they painted a few things silver, but kept all the 1/2" seams and naugahide tetures. The TL uses modern quality soft-touch plastics which are pattern matched to the leather and real aluminum trim (though it's too thin). Plus it's made by Honda, so barring the few squeaky cogs on this site, will work reliably and unremarkably for the duration.

As far as value for money, with the Corvette you are paying for a name and a reputation that exists in America only. For the same money, you can buy an M3 or a used M5, an Audi S4, or a Jag S-type R, all of which have near the power of the Corvette plus damn near the comfort and generally better handling than that of the TL. They are all overall superior cars ot the Corvette.
With the TL, you are paying for componentry and quality. For the same money, you can buy a BMW 325i with few options, an Audi A4 1.8t with options or 3.0 with nothing, a Jag X-type, a Subaru WRX STi, etc, all of which are overall inferior cars to the TL.

Phew.

PS I don't own either car, I drive a '98 2.3CL, so either would be an upgrade for me!
Wow, there is so much misinformation in this post that I almost don't know where to begin. Let's start by saying that for the most part, I hate American cars. I have an '02 Z06 which I absolutely love. To say that a Vette understeers and loves to go straight is so ignorant it's not funny. The TL is more neutral handling than a Vette? You have got to be joking.

I also have an '04 Audi S4. There is no contest as to which car is more fun to drive...the Z06 wins hands down. Sure, it's noisier, harder to get into, etc. It should be. It's a sports car. If you can believe it, the ride in the S4 is harsher than the Z06, a car that can pull 1g and circle the Nurburgring with the best of them. That's due to the very narrow sidewall on the Audi's tires along with the fact that the Z06 has cushier seats. If you've never driven a C5, you cannot base your opinion of the Corvette on previous models. The C6 should be even better. I find it rather strange that your 2 choices boil down to a TL vs C6 but if that is truly the case, you will not be disappointed with the C6.
Old 09-01-2004, 11:56 PM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by ndabunka
Yea, why would you want the nice throaty sound of 400HP V8 when you could have the high-pitched girly winning of a 6-cyl running at marginal tolerance levels. More of those M3 have blown up than you would care to even know about.
For some buyers that grew up on high revving I4 engines, the sound of an I6 revving to 8000 RPM is {much} preferable to the sound of a pushrod V8.

My advice to mrtgman would be to go test drive a used 03 or 04 Corvette (there is no way your getting a test drive of a new ‘Vette). You either love of hate the feel of a big, pushrod V8 rumbling along.

Another item that takes some getting used to, at least for Honda guys, is the way the Vette’s engine shudders when you start it - and when you shut it off. Refinement? Not exactly.

Then there is the steering. IMHO the steering of the Corvette is somewhere between vague and rubbery. Out here in the show me state (MO) we have the worst roads in the country. The ‘Vette’s handling on these roads, when pushing it a bit in rough twisties, is unstable at best.

The Corvette is going to be faster and get more looks. Otherwise, the TL is a superior car by almost every automotive engineering standard.