Is Hyundai starting to get decent?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2008, 11:43 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by xav
Legit question here...

Whenever I see an 09 Elantra or Santa Fe, I think Hyundai came a long way in term of design and general look (even tho some may argue the front of the Santa Fe is copied on the FX35).

Now I just saw an ad on the new flagship of the korean brand: The Genesis:

http://www.hyundaigenesis.com/

Same feeling, it "looks" like a very decent car and "seems" to offer a lot for the price (including the sound system that used to be in Rolls Royce only before the Genesis).

However, $30k is a lot for a Hyundai and still doesn't seem enough for all the features they claim to offer.

So what's your opinion? Are they hidding something with their good marketing? Or are they on their way to become something big (toyota big) in the auto industry?

It HAS been decent for the last 10+ years. Just take a look at 2008 Dependability study. Its much higher than Nissan, Mazda, GMC, Ford, Chevy, Infinity, Audi, etc.

One more time for non-believers, and hard headed folks.

Hyundai > Nissan, Mazda, GMC, Ford, Chevy

Hyundai has excellent reliability, dependability, quality, and many options for the BEST PRICE. What do you want more??

We are lucky here, because in Korea, Sonata can go up to $30,000 more, actually every Hyundai car in Korea is much more expensive than here because, thats the actual price. However, in here, they lower price so much to regain reputation for best price and market....

And in terms of design, its always Simple, and attractive. Period.

Are you buying the car itself, or the Brand name logo?

And as for the Hyundai brand image, in the near future, Its going to have same reputation as Lexus, Toyota, Acura, etc. i mean you guys DO ACKNOWLEDGE its improving Fast!~~ This poor image only exists US.

And recently, hyundai outsold Nissan and HONDA in the world.

Worldwide Sales for the year 2007

1. Toyota - 9,366,000

2. General Motors - 8,902,252

3. Volkswagen - 6,191,618,

4. Ford - 5,964,000

5. Hyundai-Kia - 3,961,629

6. Honda - 3,831,000

7. Nissan - 3,675,574

8. PSA (Peugeot/Citroën) - 3,428,400

9. Chrysler - 2,676,268

10. Fiat - 2,620,864

The Truth

And one last time for non-believers, Biased, and hard headed folks.

Hyundai > Nissan, Mazda, GMC, Ford, Chevy

- I am back -

Last edited by msl82; 08-15-2008 at 11:48 AM.
Old 08-15-2008, 11:47 AM
black on black 04 TL 6MT

"Is Hyundai starting to get decent?"

very much so. it will be the brand to watch over the next 5 years.
Old 08-15-2008, 11:48 AM
black on black 04 TL 6MT

Originally Posted by S A CHO
My dads girlfriend has an 07 Sonata V6. Other than interior styling, it's an awesome car.

I almost can't beleive how quiet the interior of that car is. There's ZERO engine noise and virtually no wind noise even upwards of 80mph... I was actually conisdering picking up a 4cyl. base model 5 speed just as a highway commuter car because it was that quiet...

It's pretty quick too...

It's definitley a good car and I can't wait to take a seat in the new Genesis, or even better the new Genesis Coupe ( )
they have fixed the interior design problem for the 08 model. it resembles the 3G TL interior a bit to me.
Old 08-15-2008, 12:41 PM
The Designer

If you want objective opinions check out the Genesis forums. Most of the owners on there are very honest about their likes and dislikes and surprisingly most have switched from much more expensive vehicles rather than upgrading from the likes of Accords, Camrys, etc as many people figured.

In fact out of the 10 or so owners who are regulars have switched from 2 Lexus GSs, a Mercedes E Class, a BMW 335 and two Infiniti Ms.

They are definitely for real and just some more time to prove to those who still think of them as the 1990 Hyundai Excel company.
Old 08-15-2008, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by is300eater
WOW, I've never scene that one before!!! Where did you dig that one up??!!
saw it on inside line but why are you being sarcastic

Last edited by ghttf; 08-15-2008 at 02:38 PM.
Old 08-15-2008, 02:54 PM
.... .... .... ... ....

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
I been looking at hyndais on the road and they are not so bad. I like the V6 Sonata. It got that aggressiveness to it!
Old 08-15-2008, 03:07 PM
What Would Don Draper Do?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Blazing GT
I been looking at hyndais on the road and they are not so bad. I like the V6 Sonata. It got that aggressiveness to it!
exterior looks-wise, i've always thought that the current sonata is what the 7g accord should have looked like.
Old 08-15-2008, 04:32 PM
hail to the victors

read recent comparo by car and driver for midsized sedans.

hyundai was #2, right behind passat. that's better than accord and camry!!

also about that dependabillity..

hyundai started to make good car since 2002.(consumer reports, JD initial quality). so it's not quiet 10 years yet. expect hyundai to be top 5 every year starting 2012.

and RL? don't insult genesis!! genesis outsold RL last months and half of their dealers don't even have genesis yet. genesis destroys RL in looks, power, size, and everything.
Old 08-15-2008, 04:58 PM

i prefer the RL's interior though.
Old 08-15-2008, 06:06 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
Yep... It took them awhile, but they have gotten to the point where I'd consider buying a hyundia... I would have never said that back in the 80's or early 90's when they first came out here in the US.
Old 08-15-2008, 07:03 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by JediMindTricks
i prefer the RL's interior though.
Thats true. The interior design of RL is better than Genesis. But, I think quality is about same~

P.S. I am back
Old 08-16-2008, 03:13 AM
Safety Car

Received 111 Likes on 79 Posts
i believe the average american consumer does not truly follow these reports. they buy what they want. as a user of a car forum such as acurazine, we are more savvy and would tend to follow ratings. with that said, hyundai has to continually work on a reputation to continue their sales.

personally, i think the options per overall price are a steal. it ultimately boils down to getting over the status of driving a korean vehicle.

i am currently a leasee of a fully loaded black on grey Tuscon. And i absolutly love it. 30 months in, and hassle free so far.
Old 08-16-2008, 03:33 AM
Safety Car

on a further note, hyundai has absolutely come a long way. this is undebatable. they will be envisioned, i think, as a top contender within the next 10 years. again, they will need to invest a large chunk of money into marketabilty to increase sales. their offerings are definetly there. it is now a decision of the buyer to make a wise investment in their vehicles.
Old 08-16-2008, 09:16 AM
Rooting for Acura

Received 1,765 Likes on 804 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermonMermon
on a further note, hyundai has absolutely come a long way. this is undebatable. they will be envisioned, i think, as a top contender within the next 10 years. again, they will need to invest a large chunk of money into marketabilty to increase sales. their offerings are definetly there. it is now a decision of the buyer to make a wise investment in their vehicles.
Also, when they finish "fixing" their reputation they will get to sell their cars for more money. Once that happens consumers will see them as more valuable automobiles (which I think is stupid, but you know it's true) and, I believe, that will be how Hyundai will come into true contention with the likes of Toyota and Honda.
Old 08-16-2008, 09:33 AM
Evil Mazda Driver

Received 174 Likes on 89 Posts
Have an '04 Santa Fe here...it's a great car even now with 98,300 miles on it.

I just did a four-state, 2,000 mile road trip with the SF and even with the A/C going and cruise at 75 in rolling terrain, it returned an average of 24.6 mpg with the best tank getting 25.7. The dash doesn't creak, the A/C blows ice cold, it has only one chronic rattle, it never fails to start, and it drives like a champ.

Their image needs polishing, no doubt but give it time and I think most people will come around. I say most people because even today, you'll find those die-hard 'buy American' types who still think the Japanese can't build a car. You can't win 'em all, Hasselhoff...

Just my
Old 08-16-2008, 11:09 AM
Racer

i believe the average american consumer does not truly follow these reports. they buy what they want. as a user of a car forum such as acurazine, we are more savvy and would tend to follow ratings. with that said, hyundai has to continually work on a reputation to continue their sales.

personally, i think the options per overall price are a steal. it ultimately boils down to getting over the status of driving a korean vehicle.

i am currently a leasee of a fully loaded black on grey Tuscon. And i absolutly love it. 30 months in, and hassle free so far.
I agree with you. I mean, American people should remember that Koreans can make one of the best and highest quality devices, in which from Samsung and LG.

Koreans can do same for cars too.
Old 08-16-2008, 12:59 PM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Originally Posted by msl82
I agree with you. I mean, American people should remember that Koreans can make one of the best and highest quality devices, in which from Samsung and LG.

Koreans can do same for cars too.
While I agree that Hyundai is getting better (every Samsung and LG product I've owned has treated me well ) your support for Hyundai is based more off of nationalism than anything else.

Nothing wrong with it, but tone it down already, jeez. Buying Korean just because the Koreans make good products is the same as the idea of buying American because its American.

You remind me of this guy... "Made in Germany, you know the Germans make good stuff."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ns4mnmNBk1Y
Old 08-16-2008, 02:49 PM
Safety Car

i dont see the relation of high quality ELECTRICAL devices to high quality vehicles. If you were to further look into this statement than you could go as far to say that you wouldnt worry about any electrical problems or basic build quality with a korean vehicle.

succeeding in samsung or lg products doesnt necessarily translate into bragging rights for manufacturing, oh, say a chasis, suspension, etc.

needless to say, hyundais ARE very well built cars. esp. for the price
Old 08-16-2008, 03:21 PM
My first Avatar....

Received 6,066 Likes on 3,899 Posts

needless to say, hyundais ARE very well built cars. esp. for the price
This is one of the BIG keys to Hyundai's turn around. People feel they are getting something for their money. When/If Hyundai decides it wants to price itself with the rest of the competition, the shine might come off the apple. If they're going to charge as much as a Honda, just buy a Honda.
Old 08-16-2008, 03:35 PM
hail to the victors

Originally Posted by pttl
This is one of the BIG keys to Hyundai's turn around. People feel they are getting something for their money. When/If Hyundai decides it wants to price itself with the rest of the competition, the shine might come off the apple. If they're going to charge as much as a Honda, just buy a Honda.

if you compare vehicle to vehicle, hyundai is right up there with honda. sonata finished better than accord and camry in a recent comparo, and elantra compares very well against much smaller civic. i'll take veracruz over new pilot. fuel rating? sonata is better than accord and almost all of their line ups are competitive.

hyundai doesn't just offer value anymore. all of their line ups are getting better every year while honda screws up every year with styling. only thing honda has on hyundai is the name HONDA. but hyundai is growing fast. really fast.

it's just a matter of time IMO. people will pay same $ for hyundai.
Old 08-16-2008, 03:44 PM
how handsome I am

Originally Posted by Pure Adrenaline
Please.

It bears closer resemblance to the LS460's design theme.
If anything, Hyundai finished what Acura started with the RL; a proper luxury sedan with a backbone.

Hyundai's benchmark is Toyota/Lexus, not Honda/Acura.
that statement could not have been put any better. I guess this is what the current gen RL should have been.
Old 08-16-2008, 03:47 PM
I drive a Subata.

Received 2,603 Likes on 1,571 Posts
Originally Posted by chungkopi
if you compare vehicle to vehicle, hyundai is right up there with honda. sonata finished better than accord and camry in a recent comparo, and elantra compares very well against much smaller civic. i'll take veracruz over new pilot. fuel rating? sonata is better than accord and almost all of their line ups are competitive.

hyundai doesn't just offer value anymore. all of their line ups are getting better every year while honda screws up every year with styling. only thing honda has on hyundai is the name HONDA. but hyundai is growing fast. really fast.

it's just a matter of time IMO. people will pay same $ for hyundai.
That only thing you are speaking of is EXTREMELY valuable in business world. Brand equity is NOT easy to build.

In addition, Honda isn't really screwing up every year with styling. It's just very subjective matter if you think about it. Honda's overall sales number has been excellent. Statistics don't lie much.

I agree that Hyundai's growing very fast though. Just so you know, I'm Korean.
Old 08-16-2008, 04:38 PM
hail to the victors

honda's crackhead designers screwed up ridgeline, pilot, TSX, TL, and RL. and not a big fan of accord either. only honda worth buying right now is fit, and civic IMO. there are a better choices out there.

i used to be a big honda fan. owned 3 hondas and 2 acuras. but i don't like where they are going. it's gonna get more competitive every year.

genesis and gen coup will upgrade hyundai's image and i think they will continue to grow.
Old 08-18-2008, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by chungkopi
honda's crackhead designers screwed up ridgeline, pilot, TSX, TL, and RL. and not a big fan of accord either. only honda worth buying right now is fit, and civic IMO. there are a better choices out there.
as JS + TL said, though, styling's all subjective. i actually like the ridgeline, pilot, and TSX. and the accord sedan may not be much of a looker, but it's still selling well.
Old 08-18-2008, 01:36 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,568 Likes on 985 Posts
No one likes jingo-istic nationalism so can we keep that off this board please?
Old 08-23-2008, 08:06 PM
Pro

I dont get how some of you guys cannot see the resemblance between the genesis and the RL. It looks like a complete RL copy to me. I dont really like the look though. But you have to admit, assuming their build quality is good, that car totally kills the competition. V8 is gonna have 375hp. And that sound system is lexicon, same guys who made the Rolls sound system, and its putting out 500watts!
Old 08-23-2008, 08:22 PM
Burning Brakes

genesis> new tl.. enough said.

09 acura tl = epic fail.