Honda dealership marking up parts

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2022, 07:14 PM
2016 Acura TLX

Received 137 Likes on 89 Posts
Honda dealership marking up parts

So I've got a 2012 Honda Odyssey with 170k miles that had a rear main seal leak. I thought I could limp it around and use ATP leak stop until I could sell it but unfortunately, the drive light started flashing and the transmission is toast. The 5 speeds on these rarely go bad so I was a bit surprised since I have the fluid changed nearly every other oil change at the dealer. Anyways, I had it towed in to the Honda dealer where I get most of my services. I kinda lucked out since I'd basically be double dipping on the labor costs with the rear main seal repair, but its getting the parts that got me kinda annoyed. A remanfactured transmission from Honda is like $5k which ain't gonna happen with the current value of the van. However, they can also source an used unit from LKQ which I knew going in. I checked the price on transmissions on their site and found they were kinda cheap which is nice. The lowest mileage one is somewhat local with 78k miles and going for around $450 and I double checked by calling in and asking if its the whole thing. Problem is the dealership is quoting me $1800 (parts only) for the exact same transmission that I'm looking at out of the same van. I get charging a small commission, but 4 times the price seems a bit ridiculous. They're okay with me purchasing it myself and having it delivered there, but I shouldn't have to coordinate any of that. Also they kept giving me some bs about them rethinking their relationship with LKQ because they got quoted higher. Is a near 400% markup normal, or am I missing something? There's also an extra parts and labor warranty I can purchase from LKQ for a couple hundred.
Old 10-18-2022, 09:31 PM
Someday, an RS6 Avant+

Received 947 Likes on 516 Posts
I had a local place here charge me $1500 for a A/C compressor when I could have gotten it for $400. I didn't research it before hand so that was my bad.
Old 10-18-2022, 10:41 PM
2016 Acura TLX

Yeah, I'm most likely just gonna buy it myself and have them do the labor. But I'm pretty disappointed that they'd try to pull something like this. Its not like I was comparing similar parts from another source vehicle. We were both looking at the same transmission. Been going there for over a dozen years, but I don't think I'll be using them anymore.
Old 10-19-2022, 12:03 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,603 Likes on 6,645 Posts
Replace the PCV first before dropping the trans to put in a rear main seal. It's cheap and may alleviate the leak.
Old 10-19-2022, 11:08 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,748 Likes on 1,402 Posts
Originally Posted by honda_nut
Problem is the dealership is quoting me $1800 (parts only) for the exact same transmission that I'm looking at out of the same van. I get charging a small commission, but 4 times the price seems a bit ridiculous. They're okay with me purchasing it myself and having it delivered there, but I shouldn't have to coordinate any of that.
Just curious, should this LKQ 78K trans., which you purchase for $450 & ship to the dealer, prove to be faulty or 'crap the bed' soon after the Honda facility install, will they, the dealer, cover the labor to replace it the second time around?

If not, that probably explains some of their logic for the mark-up.
Just saying.
Good Luck!
Old 10-20-2022, 11:07 AM
2016 Acura TLX

Originally Posted by thoiboi
Replace the PCV first before dropping the trans to put in a rear main seal. It's cheap and may alleviate the leak.
That's on my to do list after I get it back since its fairly cheap and easy. Unfortunately the trans won't go into gear so I don't think I've got much of a choice. Not exactly sure what caused it to die. There were no warning signs like slippage or leaks and I had the fluid changed often. Then again I'm not sure what previous owner did the first 95k miles.
Old 10-20-2022, 11:11 AM
2016 Acura TLX

Originally Posted by zeta
Just curious, should this LKQ 78K trans., which you purchase for $450 & ship to the dealer, prove to be faulty or 'crap the bed' soon after the Honda facility install, will they, the dealer, cover the labor to replace it the second time around?

If not, that probably explains some of their logic for the mark-up.
Just saying.
Good Luck!
But LKQ had a labor warranty so it should've covered their base. I'd have gladly paid the $1800 if it actually cost anywhere near that. I probably should've called and checked before I had it towed in, but too late now. Talked to my long time Acura advisor and he mentioned they would not have marked it up like that.
Old 10-20-2022, 11:53 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,748 Likes on 1,402 Posts
But LKQ had a labor warranty so it should've covered their base.
Not sure I understand.
From their 'Warranties' webpage, all I'm seeing is that they:
Warranties | LKQOnline

LKQ Online Warranty Information

LKQ Online's part warranties cover everything from missing, incorrect, or damaged parts to customer returns. We will cover product failure due to defective materials, and we guarantee to replace or repair your defective item, or refund your purchase price.

Limited Warranty and Liability on Used Parts
What is not covered?
  • Labor costs you incur for installation of parts you purchase from LKQ Online

It does not mention reinstallation labor is covered should the part prove faulty.
Only that the purchase price may be refunded after a 'Warranty Process' evaluation is accomplished.

Maybe I'm missing something in my reading / interpretation?
Old 10-20-2022, 01:35 PM
2016 Acura TLX

Yeah, I saw that. But when you go to actually purchase an item, there's a dropdown to let you choose additional warranties including labor for up to 2 years for not much more. Ended up purchasing it for around $600 with a year of parts and labor.
The following users liked this post:
zeta (10-20-2022)
Old 10-20-2022, 03:16 PM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
The dealer wanting to markup a third party item isn't surprising but that increase over what it otherwise costs is incredibly excessive.

My local Acura dealership sells every part for more than MSRP. I needed a nut for my front suspension. MSRP is 95 cents. Local dealership is $4.95 (with a notation that MSRP is unknown). It's like the dealer isn't aware an entire online universe exists for parts.
Old 10-20-2022, 03:25 PM

Received 5,303 Likes on 3,637 Posts
^ Could also be matrix pricing. I forget how it specifically works, but dealers that use it are almost always noticeably higher than non-matrix dealers.
Old 10-21-2022, 08:51 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,039 Likes on 2,513 Posts
Originally Posted by subinf
The dealer wanting to markup a third party item isn't surprising but that increase over what it otherwise costs is incredibly excessive.

My local Acura dealership sells every part for more than MSRP. I needed a nut for my front suspension. MSRP is 95 cents. Local dealership is $4.95 (with a notation that MSRP is unknown). It's like the dealer isn't aware an entire online universe exists for parts.

Here's a example using Honda e-store data where you select the dealership
https://estore.honda.com/honda/customer-home.asp

Honda Oil Filter 15400-PLM-A02, most common type for modern Acura/Honda for the two closest dealerships to me.

Honda estore OEM price $7.40
Oddonell Honda estore price $6.66
Jim Coleman Honda estore price $14.98

Old 10-26-2022, 06:25 PM
2016 Acura TLX

I'm no mechanic, but I assume a rear main seal job should include an oil change also? Well maybe not the cost of the oil filter, but I imagine it difficult to do without draining the oil first and they wouldn't just hand the car back being low. Had a quick call with the service advisor and he mentioned it'd be another $80 to the oil change. Seems kinda odd being that it normally cost like 60ish from the same dealer, but maybe costs went up. Feels like I'm being nickel and dimed.
Old 10-26-2022, 08:40 PM
Someday, an RS6 Avant+

Received 947 Likes on 516 Posts
I'm no mechanic, but I assume a rear main seal job should include an oil change also? Well maybe not the cost of the oil filter, but I imagine it difficult to do without draining the oil first and they wouldn't just hand the car back being low. Had a quick call with the service advisor and he mentioned it'd be another $80 to the oil change. Seems kinda odd being that it normally cost like 60ish from the same dealer, but maybe costs went up. Feels like I'm being nickel and dimed.
You are. But I think we all are, it's just that car dealers do it because they can. You can walk out of a store without buying anything, but at the car dealer, you want your car fixed.