Goodbye 'Lude, Hello G35c (was) Possibly trading in my car for a ...

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 10:51 PM
Got a Job!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Goodbye 'Lude, Hello G35c (was) Possibly trading in my car for a ...

I've been thinking about getting rid of my car for a little while now, and in the meantime, have been browsing my options as to what I could potentially get in return. Basically, I nailed it down between a G35c and a TL. I've been a fan of the G35 for quite some time now, and have had the opportunity to drive one a few times. In addition, I was able to test-drive a 6spd TL, which was quite nice as well. However, I've been leaning towards a G35c for a few reasons. For one, I would like to finally jump into a RWD for once. Secondly, it's definitely sportier, which doesn't hurt . Thirdly, I'm quite partial towards coupes in general. I know what you're saying - so why even consider the TL? Well, it's a fantastic car, I love the looks, it drives great, and has a MUCH nicer interior than the G. So that's been a hard decision for me to make. But, in the end, I've been leaning towards the G.

Well, I've been looking for the past few months online for one of my liking, and it's been quite difficult. I want one in either Ivory Pearl, or Blue Slate, in that particular order, which are two VERY hard colors to come by. Next, I would prefer an 05+ due to the better interior and the 19's. I would love to get one in Navi, but that's almost pushing it as for being too specific. Also, I've been having a tough time deciding whether to stick with a manual, or go towards Auto. My gf can never drive my 'lude since it's stick, and she lives about 90min away so L.A. to O.C. traffic can blow sometimes. I'm thinking that from this point on, maybe I should leave manual for when I have the opportunity to have a "weekend sports car" that I can screw around in. But damn will I miss stick, you know? It's truly a very difficult decision to make, let me tell you. Lastly, I would LIKE to get one for no more than $25k OTD.

So, after looking for a long while, I finally came across one that sounds like a potentially good deal. Here is the autotrader link:

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...uperSpotlight=

It's an '05 G35c, Ivory Pearl, $23,966 with 34,056 miles, AT, Black w/ Beige interior, 19s and rear tinted windows.

Here's the thing: APPARENTLY, Rydell doesn't haggle on their prices and that they're fixed - or so I'm told. But let's face it; it's the end of the month, and also the end of the year, so there HAS to be some tweaking with the price, or so I would assume. I was going to try to sell Private Party, but the last two times I did that, it took damn near 5 months, and I probably could have traded it in for about $500 less. So here's what I'm thinking. I go in there, tell them I'll give them my car + $15,000 cash, and go from there. Below are the trade-in values on edmunds and kbb.

'01 Prelude, Base, 5MT, OEM lip kit, tint, 79k miles
Trade-In Values (Good):
Edmunds: $8,400
KBB: $9,800

So, what are your guys thoughts? Do you think that's a good deal? Do you think they'll even entertain $15k + my car? I'm thinking they'll want $17k, basing my car to be about $8k, but I really have no idea. I plan on going in tomorrow, so any help before hand/advice would be helpful and appreciated. Thanks guys!

`John

Last edited by Dem1K; 11-28-2007 at 10:54 PM.
Old 11-28-2007, 11:45 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,273 Likes on 3,050 Posts
Originally Posted by Dem1K
I've been thinking about getting rid of my car for a little while now, and in the meantime, have been browsing my options as to what I could potentially get in return. Basically, I nailed it down between a G35c and a TL. I've been a fan of the G35 for quite some time now, and have had the opportunity to drive one a few times. In addition, I was able to test-drive a 6spd TL, which was quite nice as well. However, I've been leaning towards a G35c for a few reasons. For one, I would like to finally jump into a RWD for once. Secondly, it's definitely sportier, which doesn't hurt . Thirdly, I'm quite partial towards coupes in general. I know what you're saying - so why even consider the TL? Well, it's a fantastic car, I love the looks, it drives great, and has a MUCH nicer interior than the G. So that's been a hard decision for me to make. But, in the end, I've been leaning towards the G.

Well, I've been looking for the past few months online for one of my liking, and it's been quite difficult. I want one in either Ivory Pearl, or Blue Slate, in that particular order, which are two VERY hard colors to come by. Next, I would prefer an 05+ due to the better interior and the 19's. I would love to get one in Navi, but that's almost pushing it as for being too specific. Also, I've been having a tough time deciding whether to stick with a manual, or go towards Auto. My gf can never drive my 'lude since it's stick, and she lives about 90min away so L.A. to O.C. traffic can blow sometimes. I'm thinking that from this point on, maybe I should leave manual for when I have the opportunity to have a "weekend sports car" that I can screw around in. But damn will I miss stick, you know? It's truly a very difficult decision to make, let me tell you. Lastly, I would LIKE to get one for no more than $25k OTD.

So, after looking for a long while, I finally came across one that sounds like a potentially good deal. Here is the autotrader link:

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...uperSpotlight=

It's an '05 G35c, Ivory Pearl, $23,966 with 34,056 miles, AT, Black w/ Beige interior, 19s and rear tinted windows.

Here's the thing: APPARENTLY, Rydell doesn't haggle on their prices and that they're fixed - or so I'm told. But let's face it; it's the end of the month, and also the end of the year, so there HAS to be some tweaking with the price, or so I would assume. I was going to try to sell Private Party, but the last two times I did that, it took damn near 5 months, and I probably could have traded it in for about $500 less. So here's what I'm thinking. I go in there, tell them I'll give them my car + $15,000 cash, and go from there. Below are the trade-in values on edmunds and kbb.

'01 Prelude, Base, 5MT, OEM lip kit, tint, 79k miles
Trade-In Values (Good):
Edmunds: $8,400
KBB: $9,800

So, what are your guys thoughts? Do you think that's a good deal? Do you think they'll even entertain $15k + my car? I'm thinking they'll want $17k, basing my car to be about $8k, but I really have no idea. I plan on going in tomorrow, so any help before hand/advice would be helpful and appreciated. Thanks guys!

`John
05 G35 Coupe for 23k is a very good price considering the mileage is reasonable.

take ur car to Carmax to see how much they offer you if u dont wanna sell privately.
If carmax can give u 8k... then i am pretty sure they can shave the $966 off.
If they dont even want to do that.. then fuck them... go find another one. Go find a 6speed one.....
Old 11-28-2007, 11:45 PM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Just my own opinion, but interior design is overrated. Yes, its very nice to have a luxurious interior, it makes you feel whenever you get in the car. A lot of people say, you spend 90% of the time looking at the interior rather than the exterior. Well, I say you shouldn't be and usually aren't looking at your interior while you're driving. So don't let the fact that one car has a nicer interior make you regret a decision that you never took.

I personally love the TL's interior, and the G35's interior is pretty nice to me. Never sat in the G35c though so I don't know how the ergonomics are. Ergonomics are more important to me, because I hate having to get up off my seat to shift into 5th/6th gear, or to reach for climate controls, etc. because its distracting and potentially dangerous.

There's nothing like a high-powered RWD car. You need to drive responsibly with one (I have.... so far) but it is so much funner at the limit. And there's nothing doing a u-turn at an empty, wide-open intersection.... right before you finish the u-turn, floor it and the rear end just goes crazy, requiring you to dial in the countersteer. You just can't do that in a FWD or AWD car.

I know that FWD cars can still be fun though. Haven't driven a G35c but if its funner to drive than a TL, why not? Also, be patient! 5 months is quite a long time to sell your car, but you can definitely find something nicer for a better deal, you just have to wait for it. Whatever you decide, good luck.
Old 11-29-2007, 12:59 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,016 Likes on 1,435 Posts
I would get an 07g35C for the better interior, but the price is going to be around mid to high 30's the way you want it. You can nab an 04 Tl for around 21-24, 05 TL for 22-25, 06 TL for 23-26, an 07 for 26-30 depending on S or not, and an 08 will cost 33 with nav. I vote for the 05+ is good.
Old 11-29-2007, 01:44 AM
givin the business

sound's like a good plan to me...go with the g....the tl has a nice interior but the g is just sexy all the way around.
Old 11-29-2007, 04:15 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 7,476 Likes on 3,779 Posts
Isn't there a new lease deal on the TL for 379? I'd never lease b/c it doesn't make sense to me financially but to some it does. Maybe you have to assess whether you can get away with driving a G and having enough room to haul your friends, stuff, etc. The CL could do that for me, I doubt a G could and certainly the TL could as well. I don't care what anyone sez, an interior is important. If it looks like azzzz, then you are never going to like it.
Old 11-29-2007, 04:34 AM
Glacier Frost Mica CL-S

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
not feeling the interior of the G what so ever
Old 11-30-2007, 12:39 PM
Got a Job!

uh oh...
Old 11-30-2007, 12:52 PM
The Third Ball

Received 5,105 Likes on 2,708 Posts
Originally Posted by INSPIRE 32V
not feeling the interior of the G what so ever
Another genius post. Way to keep it coming there Einstein.

Dem...you tired of the lude?
Old 11-30-2007, 01:21 PM
Got a Job!

Originally Posted by The Sarlacc
Another genius post. Way to keep it coming there Einstein.

Dem...you tired of the lude?
Tell me about it - worthless post.

Anyways, as for the 'lude, it's a couple of things. For one, I've missed that sport-luxury setting which I had with the CL-S, and am ready to get back into it. Secondly, I think it would be best to jump back into automatic considering my drive back and forth. Thirdly, I'm just dying to jump into the G. I'll update soon...:wink:

Last edited by Dem1K; 11-30-2007 at 01:23 PM.
Old 11-30-2007, 01:37 PM
Cruising in ATL!!

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts
Are you certain that this G35c is perfectly fine physically/mechanically? For 05 with that miles, that price ticket looks awfully good. I've been looking at their price lately and that certainly is lower than anything. Did you run CARFAX on it? Is this dealer repuptable? Most of times, you're better off hanggling the new car price first then when it comes to making a deal, tell them that you're interested in trading your own car. And then go from there.

No reason to compare G35C vs TL. I mean they are completely different automobiles. As long as G35C meets all of your demand, why even consider 4 doors? Yes, Acura makes GREAT/RELIABLE cars but so does Infiniti. Just go with it but make sure this car is legit.
Old 11-30-2007, 04:43 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 236 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by I Go To Costco
There's nothing like a high-powered RWD car. You need to drive responsibly with one (I have.... so far) but it is so much funner at the limit. And there's nothing doing a u-turn at an empty, wide-open intersection.... right before you finish the u-turn, floor it and the rear end just goes crazy, requiring you to dial in the countersteer. You just can't do that in a FWD or AWD car.
The TL is a great car, but get the G. The interior is not as bad for me as people say, looks sportier and sounds like heaven itself.+it's a white.What else you need?
Make sure the dealer is legit,+1 on the Carmax. The price does look ''too'' good.
Old 12-01-2007, 01:09 AM
Got a Job!

Thumbs up

*ahem* :hugegrin:

You can now consider me a proud owner of a 2005 G35c!! I went last night and signed all the paperwork, and picked the car up this afternoon, while trading my Prelude in. All I can say is....WHAT A RELIEF!!! So much weight has been lifted off my shoulders now. I ended up getting the car for $23,469 + T&L, which was a great deal. The CarFax came up with nothing, only showing the date it was registered, and clean besides that. Also, I took my car in the other day for an oil change, and they told me I had about $950 of repairs that were needed, so I saved myself on that headache by trading it in. I just got back in from taking it out for another spin, and I can't wipe the smile off my face. It's such a great car, and I'm 100% stoked about my decision. The dealership is Rydell Chevrolet, and has 3 other locations in the San Fernando Valley, as they are a rather large dealership down here. They also include a 7 day, no questions asked Return Policy with a full refund, or 30 days for an exchange, which is damn good.

I would love to throw some pictures up besides the ones on the website, but I'll have to wait until I get a camera to take some better pictures. I must say, I actually really like the interior...a lot. The ergonomics are great, and the updated interior compared to the '03-04 is MUCH better. I'm still in awe that I got the car that I wanted. Also to note, the car looks damn near BRAND NEW. No dents, scratches, or bodywork from what I can tell. The thing is an absolute beauty! And I finally had a chance to see the Pearl tonight under some good lighting and it looks great.

I'm already bidding on getting the '06 headlights w/ the projectors, and I've got a couple other things that I have planned within the next couple of weeks. I'll definitely post pictures once I get those things all squared away, but for now, I'm going to enjoy her the way she is for the meantime . I'm going to go in tomorrow morning to get the front windows tinted as well, something that I find necessary for the meantime. Stay posted for some updates

`John

Dear Mod: Could you please change the thread title to, "Goodbye 'Lude, Hello G35c"

Last edited by Dem1K; 12-01-2007 at 01:12 AM.
Old 12-01-2007, 01:41 AM
I shoot people

Received 3,057 Likes on 1,483 Posts
welcome to the Infiniti family
Old 12-01-2007, 02:44 AM
Got a Job!

thanks buddy
Old 12-01-2007, 03:20 AM
givin the business

congratulations on the new whip...enjoy it
Old 12-01-2007, 03:35 AM
RAR

Received 1,286 Likes on 714 Posts
congrats. now change your sig.
Old 12-01-2007, 06:56 AM
GEEZER

Received 2,227 Likes on 1,421 Posts
Congrats!
Old 12-01-2007, 07:41 AM
has Gloryhole Girls in

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Congrats!
Old 12-01-2007, 08:25 AM
Administrator Alumnus

Received 131 Likes on 82 Posts
I dearly miss my G35c. Enjoy the whip.
Old 12-01-2007, 08:27 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
Congrats !! The pricing on some of the G35's have fallen a bit not that the G37 is out making them quite attractive...
Old 12-01-2007, 08:59 AM
JnC
Former Sponsor

Received 351 Likes on 227 Posts
Congrats on the car bud

I know a guy in CA who is a salesman at an infiniti dealership. Let me check with him and see if he can get you a pair of 06 G35c headlights for cheap. The headlights had a recall and they get cars in all the time to get replacement headlights. They toss out the old headlights in the dumpster after drilling two holes in the front lenses. Lets see if he can score you a set, no promises though.
Old 12-01-2007, 09:41 AM
Race Director

The G35c will become a classic Infiniti car one day.

Also, based on my experience and my dad's Infiniti service has been much better than Acura service. Although recently the Acura dealer let's you choose which loaner you want to drive, something Infiniti doesn't do.
Old 12-01-2007, 10:11 AM
I shoot people

Received 3,057 Likes on 1,483 Posts
but I'n sure that's still limited to what they have available... I mean... if everybody requested a MDX... I'm sure not everybody will get one...
Old 12-01-2007, 11:45 AM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,569 Likes on 986 Posts
Just my own opinion, but interior design is overrated. Yes, its very nice to have a luxurious interior, it makes you feel whenever you get in the car. A lot of people say, you spend 90% of the time looking at the interior rather than the exterior. Well, I say you shouldn't be and usually aren't looking at your interior while you're driving. So don't let the fact that one car has a nicer interior make you regret a decision that you never took.

I personally love the TL's interior, and the G35's interior is pretty nice to me. Never sat in the G35c though so I don't know how the ergonomics are. Ergonomics are more important to me, because I hate having to get up off my seat to shift into 5th/6th gear, or to reach for climate controls, etc. because its distracting and potentially dangerous.

I know that FWD cars can still be fun though. Haven't driven a G35c but if its funner to drive than a TL, why not? Also, be patient! 5 months is quite a long time to sell your car, but you can definitely find something nicer for a better deal, you just have to wait for it. Whatever you decide, good luck.
Your logic makes no sense.

It makes you sound like you'd be happy living in a house that looks like a mansion on the outside and is a dump inside.

Interior ergonomics IS a big deal.
Old 12-01-2007, 12:21 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by charliemike
I put a lot of value into how an interior looks/feels... I figure I'm going to be spending A LOT more time inside looking at it, then outside looking at it...
Old 12-01-2007, 12:50 PM

It makes you sound like you'd be happy living in a house that looks like a mansion on the outside and is a dump inside.

Read again. I do think ergonomics is a big deal.

Yeah.... I kinda did make it sound like I don't care how it looks inside. I actually do care, I wouldn't want a dash that looks like a cube or fugly looking seats. But a good car with a great interior would not sway me over an awesome car with a so-so interior.
Old 12-01-2007, 02:18 PM
COME AT ME BRO!

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
awesome congrats!!!!! enjoy the new ride!
Old 12-01-2007, 02:20 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,569 Likes on 986 Posts
Read again. I do think ergonomics is a big deal.

Yeah.... I kinda did make it sound like I don't care how it looks inside. I actually do care, I wouldn't want a dash that looks like a cube or fugly looking seats. But a good car with a great interior would not sway me over an awesome car with a so-so interior.
Heh, sorry about that. I was confuzzled.

I guess it's my old-fartness showing up. I want a nice interior now.
Old 12-02-2007, 04:16 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by csmeance
I would get an 07g35C for the better interior,.
i thought '05-'07 G35 c had same interior?
Old 12-02-2007, 06:30 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,273 Likes on 3,050 Posts
Originally Posted by MaximaPower
i thought '05-'07 G35 c had same interior?
it is slightly different from 03-04
Old 12-02-2007, 06:56 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow, are you serious? Comparing the interior of a house to a car? Just when I thought I saw it all on the internet...
A house is something you LIVE in, and a car is something you DRIVE.
Talk about apples to oranges, not even a remotely relevant analogy.

You may be admiring the interior of your new car a good amount of time but unless you live inside your car, I can almost guarantee you'll be spending more time driving it.

The interior of the TL is not THAT much better than the G35.
I'll take the better drivers car, thanks
Old 12-02-2007, 07:16 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by oonowindoo
it is slightly different from 03-04
yes it is...but i was responding to the post where someone said '07 has better interior than '05
Old 12-03-2007, 01:37 AM
Got a Job!

I just wanted to thank everyone for their kind words. After a few days of ownership, I can tell you that this car is great, and my family & friends LOVE it -- MUCH more than when I brought back the CL-S (I still thought/think that it was/is an awesome car as well). I went ahead and got the front windows tinted to match and it made a world of difference. I also purchased the '06 headlight and a couple other goodies, so I'll wait until they're all in to tell you and post pictures.
Old 12-03-2007, 02:38 AM

Originally Posted by Dem1K
I just wanted to thank everyone for their kind words. After a few days of ownership, I can tell you that this car is great, and my family & friends LOVE it -- MUCH more than when I brought back the CL-S (I still thought/think that it was/is an awesome car as well). I went ahead and got the front windows tinted to match and it made a world of difference. I also purchased the '06 headlight and a couple other goodies, so I'll wait until they're all in to tell you and post pictures.
Sweet, congratulations!
Old 12-03-2007, 03:54 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,098 Likes on 832 Posts
Congrats man on your new purchase!
Old 12-03-2007, 06:51 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts
Congrats on the car man, post pics!
Old 12-03-2007, 12:35 PM
In the Mid-South meow

Received 2,162 Likes on 1,099 Posts
How does the feel of the auto in the G35 compare to the CL-S you had? I'm assuming it was an auto you had? I've heard it's a world of difference in shift feel.

Congrats by the way! Love the pearl white on Infinities. Beautiful color.
Old 12-03-2007, 12:38 PM
Got a Job!

The tranny is MUCH different in the G35 than the CL-S. I'm constantly using the tiptronic and it shifts rather quick, where the cl-s was a bit sluggish. So far, not having the stick hasn't gotten to me since I'm liking the tiptronic in this thing, so I'm happy about that. And yes, the Ivory Pearl is an AWESOME color in person, especially under good lighting. Thanks

`John
Old 12-03-2007, 12:43 PM
In the Mid-South meow

Received 2,162 Likes on 1,099 Posts
Good to hear the auto is better in the G35. I used to have nightmares about my CL-S's auto, but now that I'm in a 6spd I sleep very good. Hopefully you'll keep loving the auto and won't have buyers remorse like I did after a month, but then again it's not a POS Acura CL automatic. Good luck with it!

Quick Reply: Goodbye 'Lude, Hello G35c (was) Possibly trading in my car for a ...