Going to get rid of the TL within 4 to 5 months. New car advice...

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2006, 10:52 PM
ASSEMBLED TO PERFECTION

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy Going to get rid of the TL within 4 to 5 months. New car advice...

Well, the miles are climbing up, I just hit 96k. I want to sell it a little before 100k or right after 100k because if the tranny goes I dont wanna shell out a shit load of money, hopefully it will break right before 100k and i'll get an additional 15k warranty on the new tranny and I wont have to sell it within 4 to 5months. Anyways if I have to, I can't decide on what to get. The only thing I could come up with is get a 02-03 TL-S with Navi and put all the mods from my TL on there. I have thought about a CL-S but dont really want to deal with a smaller car mainly because its 2dr and I enjoy the roomy 4dr thing about the TL, plus I already got a little 2dr SE-R, don't want two coupes. Only problem is, my car right now is pretty much done, so if I get a 02-03 TL-S I wont be able to mod it much just the front end, since its different. I dont want to end up getting sick of it soon after I get it. I like the TL and would want something simliar to it if I had to get something else.
Only other car I had in mind was the 99+ Lexus GS300's, but most of them have a shit load of miles in my price range. The absolutely most I would spend is 20k on my next car and that is even pushing it. Help me outtt!!
Old 01-11-2006, 11:06 PM

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Civic Si....ever look into one? It may be slightly out of your budgety, but add a Tom Tom Go 700 Navi with the permanent install kit for about $1000, and your set...it even has bluetooth phone linking capability. Civic EX sedan isn't a bad choice either...
Old 01-11-2006, 11:10 PM
That was uncalled for...

Received 43 Likes on 27 Posts
Okay dude, you might think Im crazy here, or people around here will think this car is a POS, but whatever, ITS NOT...Its the Ford Taurus SHO...Its a awesome car. If you do a little research on the car you can see waht they are. On average they sell for 3500.00...do a little maitnence, 700.00...Come in automatic and standard 5-speed (which I have)...They are fast, comfertable and have a nice selection of select aftermarket parts. For people that want to see how these cars run, take a look at this link to these videos:

http://www.axiscycle.com/slowsho/

That car is stock, aside from a cat-less y-pipe (which is a 500.00 mod)...As you can see, it can easily pull the TL, and CL-S...aslong as a wide variety of other cars...

The only downside is that its a older car (1992-1995 "Gen 2")

Thats my one and only suggestion, do some research on it, It truly is a VERY under esimated car, and a whole shit load of ricers think its a grandfathers Taurus...

And the engine is made by Yamaha, How is that?
Old 01-11-2006, 11:13 PM

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Ummm Taurus SHO is kinda old???
Old 01-11-2006, 11:18 PM
ASSEMBLED TO PERFECTION

Civic Si I would consider, but it's still too much, plus its a coupe. As far as the Civic EX hell no, lol It's a straight car and all, but I am not going from a Acura TL to a Civic, I'm trying to upgrade a little or stay the same, and a civic isn't staying the same or upgrading, but the SI is nice, just not the type of car im looking for.

And for the guy that said the Ford Taurus, I hope that was a joke, that car in no way shape or form is luxury. I am not looking for a cheap car for speed, I already have that (SE-R). This is mainly for LOOKS, luxury and comfort.
Old 01-11-2006, 11:22 PM
That was uncalled for...

Originally Posted by BLaCk Acc

And for the guy that said the Ford Taurus, I hope that was a joke, that car in no way shape or form is luxury. I am not looking for a cheap car for speed, I already have that (SE-R). This is mainly for LOOKS, luxury and comfort.
If only you knew...Suit yourself...
Old 01-12-2006, 12:29 AM
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here's a '99 Lexus GS300 I found on AutoTrader with only 39K miles, clean carfax one owner, selling for $18.5K. And here's another '01 GS300 with 47K miles selling for a little under $20K, only problem is that it has that tacky stick on wood trim.
Old 01-12-2006, 02:33 AM
Three Wheelin'

how about a 5-speed is300....
215hp
RWD
Manual Transmission

IMO they handle pretty good even stock. BTW... I test drove a 2000 auto is300 with an owner who drives the shit outta that car every day. The accelleration is very smooth and my first thought was how the hell does a car that's been driven hard everyday still runs so smooth?

anyways.. i think this would be an affordable sports sedan that can look very bad ass when modded. And if you get a 5 -Speed, it will be even faster than your tl. LOTs of potential for this car...especially .............TURBO
Old 01-12-2006, 07:51 AM
Suzuka Master

Dont you people have aftermarket auto trannies?
Old 01-12-2006, 08:02 AM
G
Bitten.

Originally Posted by chewi
215hp
RWD
Manual Transmission

IMO they handle pretty good even stock. BTW... I test drove a 2000 auto is300 with an owner who drives the shit outta that car every day. The accelleration is very smooth and my first thought was how the hell does a car that's been driven hard everyday still runs so smooth?

anyways.. i think this would be an affordable sports sedan that can look very bad ass when modded. And if you get a 5 -Speed, it will be even faster than your tl. LOTs of potential for this car...especially .............TURBO

My little brother had an IS300 sport cross (the wagon version) and I loved that thing. Has the luxury you want, the nameplate recognition that you want, and is priced right. The Lexus navis isn't that either.

Plus, the aftermarket scene for that car is ridiculous. You can get just about anything for that car.

Oh, and the bolt pattern is the same as the Acura 5 lug, so depending on your offset, your wheels should fit right on. My wheels that I had on my CL-S bolted right on to my little brother's IS. Get a very small spacer for when you have brand new brake pads, and your set.
Old 01-12-2006, 10:31 PM
AZ O.G NoOldManVetteOwner

Received 204 Likes on 126 Posts
I would get an 02-03 TL-S Navi if I were you. Depretiation has hurt the 2nd gen TL, so much that these cars are a steal on the used car market. I personally still love my TL-S despite having an 04 TL as well. The J32A2 is a great motor and much more of a screamer than the A1.

Aegean Blue Pearl w/ kit would look good with your rims/drop. Always thought that was one of the TL's all time best colors.
Old 01-12-2006, 11:27 PM
Suzuka Master

$20k? '04 GTO
Old 01-12-2006, 11:33 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
06 Accord LX? pretty nice car for the $ imo...
with some dealing you should be able to get the LX at ~$20,000-21,000 OTD including tax/license and the EX @ ~$23-24k OTD /w tax/license...
this is the I4 btw... coupe or sedan your choice
Old 01-12-2006, 11:53 PM
Three Wheelin'

yea, IS300 sounds nice.
maybe a WRX? 00-03 max?
Old 01-13-2006, 01:25 AM
I pimp an Audi A4.

Civic Si I would consider, but it's still too much, plus its a coupe. As far as the Civic EX hell no, lol It's a straight car and all, but I am not going from a Acura TL to a Civic, I'm trying to upgrade a little or stay the same, and a civic isn't staying the same or upgrading, but the SI is nice, just not the type of car im looking for.

haha your on my boat now.

i sold the tl and got a beater (dont ask what it is)

i do miss my car and im guessin we have the same taste in style cuz u mentioned the gs300.

we'll the cars ill be lookin at in a month or so would be..
new or certified audi a4.
used subi legacy GT
used evo8
used gs300/400

either car will be all black

just lookin for the right deal and prices to go down a lil bit more and then ill be ready to make a purchase! goodluck man. i dont regret selling the TL and i know you wouldnt either if u got another car that was better than what u have now.
Old 01-13-2006, 06:02 PM
ASSEMBLED TO PERFECTION

215hp
RWD
Manual Transmission

I was looking at the IS300 also, but I noticed that almost all of them come without full leather? A lexus without leather seats? , And for as much as there going I rather get a TL-S with navi and lower miles, if the prices were lower I would consider it a bit more, but I dont want to pay that much for a IS.

Originally Posted by 2K2SilverTL-S
I would get an 02-03 TL-S Navi if I were you. Depretiation has hurt the 2nd gen TL, so much that these cars are a steal on the used car market. I personally still love my TL-S despite having an 04 TL as well. The J32A2 is a great motor and much more of a screamer than the A1.

Aegean Blue Pearl w/ kit would look good with your rims/drop. Always thought that was one of the TL's all time best colors.
Yea I noticed, there dirt cheap now, I really dont want to spend too much, and the TL-S seems like the way to go, but you know me man, I have to get a black one lol ABP would be a second choice. Ive seen a black one with navi for like 16k with low miles too.

Originally Posted by big mike 13
yea, IS300 sounds nice.
maybe a WRX? 00-03 max?
WRX- nope, dont really want a rally car lol

Maxima- only like the newest ones, the older ones dont look all that great.

Originally Posted by pimpravi
haha your on my boat now.

i sold the tl and got a beater (dont ask what it is)

i do miss my car and im guessin we have the same taste in style cuz u mentioned the gs300.

we'll the cars ill be lookin at in a month or so would be..
new or certified audi a4.
used subi legacy GT
used evo8
used gs300/400

either car will be all black

just lookin for the right deal and prices to go down a lil bit more and then ill be ready to make a purchase! goodluck man. i dont regret selling the TL and i know you wouldnt either if u got another car that was better than what u have now.
I know man I dont really want to get rid of the TL, the GS is the only one thats nicer then the TL, but the only thing about the GS is it doesn't have that sportly look to it like the TL does, but it also has that pimp look tho lol. I guess i'll see what the prices are at when the time comes, because right now there still pretty high with low miles. As far as the A4's go, those are niceee, but my cousin has an A6 and hes like man those cars have a bunch of little stupid problems and aren't so reliable, so that made me not want to get that. Thanks for the help though.
Old 01-13-2006, 06:06 PM
fap fap fap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
215hp
RWD
Manual Transmission

inline6 are pretty smooth
Old 01-13-2006, 06:26 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
CLS 6spd ?? No tranny issues, it's an acura, and the prices on 'em are great...
Old 01-13-2006, 08:46 PM
drop em like its hot

cl-s6 would be my choice. black on black cl-s6... cant go wrong with that
Old 01-13-2006, 09:06 PM
Chloe @ 17mo

The GS looks very pimp. If you can't get the 400 then just go with the 300. My friend has one. The interior is similar to the 2g TL too so that's plus. Lots more mod options.

You could also consider an 01-02 Lincoln LS. They depreciated alot, but it's a well built car. Pretty gangsta in Black.
Old 01-13-2006, 10:31 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by AsianRage
You could also consider an 01-02 Lincoln LS. They depreciated alot, but it's a well built car. Pretty gangsta in Black.
Hell you can get an '03 LS V8 for under $20K with low miles. They improved the '03 (most notably the V8 which got 280HP) in almost everyway. I rented an LS V8 last year from Hertz and it was an awesome car, lots of power and I got it up to 130MPH on a long empty stretch of highway. Unfortunately the governor ruined the fun after that.
Old 01-14-2006, 01:19 AM
Nom Nom Nom Nom

Received 76 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by S A CHO
Okay dude, you might think Im crazy here, or people around here will think this car is a POS, but whatever, ITS NOT...Its the Ford Taurus SHO...Its a awesome car. If you do a little research on the car you can see waht they are. On average they sell for 3500.00...do a little maitnence, 700.00...Come in automatic and standard 5-speed (which I have)...They are fast, comfertable and have a nice selection of select aftermarket parts. For people that want to see how these cars run, take a look at this link to these videos:

http://www.axiscycle.com/slowsho/

That car is stock, aside from a cat-less y-pipe (which is a 500.00 mod)...As you can see, it can easily pull the TL, and CL-S...aslong as a wide variety of other cars...

The only downside is that its a older car (1992-1995 "Gen 2")

Thats my one and only suggestion, do some research on it, It truly is a VERY under esimated car, and a whole shit load of ricers think its a grandfathers Taurus...

And the engine is made by Yamaha, How is that?

Let your crappy ford go.
How are you gonna go from a TL to a Ford Taures. Talk about a downgrade.
I only watched one video and he lost to a g20..So basically he lost to a sentra.
Old 01-14-2006, 01:21 AM
Nom Nom Nom Nom

Received 76 Likes on 50 Posts
215hp
RWD
Manual Transmission

From what ive heard, its just hard to find a manual. Its way rare. This is strickly what i have heard, dont hold me to it.
Old 01-14-2006, 12:23 PM
Chloe @ 17mo

Originally Posted by DownUnder
Hell you can get an '03 LS V8 for under $20K with low miles. They improved the '03 (most notably the V8 which got 280HP) in almost everyway. I rented an LS V8 last year from Hertz and it was an awesome car, lots of power and I got it up to 130MPH on a long empty stretch of highway. Unfortunately the governor ruined the fun after that.
That's right. It was the 03 that was trying to think of.
Old 01-14-2006, 08:26 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by SwervinCL
Let your crappy ford go.
I only watched one video and he lost to a g20..So basically he lost to a sentra.
That turbo G20 would also leave your CL way behind in a race, basically a lot worse then what it did to the SHO.
Old 01-14-2006, 09:04 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
From what ive heard, its just hard to find a manual. Its way rare. This is strickly what i have heard, dont hold me to it.
Yeah, there were only 3511 6spds made, but do an autotrader search for 03 CLS 6spd and you'll find dozens forsale nationwide...

I can probably find 1/2 dozen here in the black market with mrsteve's ABP 6spd being one of the best bangs for the buck...
Old 01-15-2006, 11:37 AM
That was uncalled for...

Let your crappy ford go.
Dude, That G20 was boosted...

Did you see the supercharged Miata race? Did you see the Maxima race? Did you see the Mustang race? Did you see the GTP race? Did you thee the Vr6 race?

And did you see what it did to the CL?

And havent you ever heard of a sleeper? .
Old 01-15-2006, 08:35 PM
Tristate ViP Crew

I'm biased but get a type s
Old 01-17-2006, 09:13 PM
Banned

im also thinkin about selling my 2000 TL this summer...but ive been eyeing BMW E36 M3!!!

you can pick up a 95 with low miles or a 97 with decent miles for like 13 to 15k. they got 240hp stock, excellent handling, and are just P I M P!!

ive been browsing the m3forums and they dont sound like the money pits that lots of people make em out to be. basically the only known problems are the shock mounts and various suspension, thats why lots of guys swap em out
Old 01-18-2006, 08:09 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,671 Likes on 932 Posts

Maxima- only like the newest ones, the older ones dont look all that great.
You're in the minority on that one.