AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   Car Talk (https://acurazine.com/forums/car-talk-5/)
-   -   General Car Talk Discussion Thread (https://acurazine.com/forums/car-talk-5/general-car-talk-discussion-thread-832939/)

Rick_TL-S 10-02-2012 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by charliemike (Post 14075133)
Just imagine if Rick wasn't an insider. The average person has no chance other than their common sense.

Maybe I'm reading it wrong, but I take it that's a quick little dig at my uncertainty.

I deserve it. :tomato:

charliemike 10-02-2012 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by Rick_TL-S (Post 14075280)
Maybe I'm reading it wrong, but I take it that's a quick little dig at my uncertainty.

I deserve it. :tomato:

Not at all! They tried to screw you and you knew better. The average person would have gotten screwed.

ttribe 10-02-2012 08:53 PM

Notable cars seen on the road today during my travels - 2 FR-S, 1 BR-Z (first one I've seen), 1 9G Accord Sport, and 3 Panameras.

RPhilMan1 10-03-2012 10:12 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I think I'm set on the ST...

Damn impressive gains with just a tune. Look at the torque! :what:

253/324 to the wheels! Peak torque at 2346RPM... :toocool:

Attachment 113488

SCT vs Stock Calibration Notes:

Same SCT calibration was tested on both 87 and 93....power is down about 15fwhp on 87 vs 93.

NOTE: SCT recommends 93 or 91 octane.

The big deal is the power gain when the car is "hot" and at normal drive temp (99% of your time)

Stock Boost Levels- Stock the ST will make spikes of boost around
21.5 psi and then holds between 20psi - 17psi, depending on the commanded torque.

SCT Calibration Boost Levels - SCT 93 Octane Calibration the ST will make spikes of boost around 23.5 psi and then holds between 22.5psi
- 17psi, depending on the commanded torque.

Air Inlet Temps are very good.....after 10 minutes of idle time and
7 runs in a row they climbed from 80F (run 1) to 110F (run 7).

Stock Speed Limit is 186mph

Stock Rev Limit is 6700rpm
SCT Calibration Rev Limit is 7300rpm

Torque Truncation has been eliminated

Now, the car remains an ANIMAL on the street after it has some heat in it.

I am also putting together a group buy for the SCT X3 programmer $ 399 through October.

charliemike 10-03-2012 10:49 AM

Dammit, I am trying not to go trade my cars for this! :)

Aman 10-03-2012 11:38 AM

Wow that shoots up fast :what:

CLtotheTL32 10-03-2012 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by Aman (Post 14076895)
Wow that shoots up fast :what:

:mizouse:

:what:

chill_dog 10-03-2012 11:48 AM

Impressive.

StreetKA 10-03-2012 11:52 AM

Now you guys make me want it lol

But it looks like powerband falls on its face after 5.5k rpms. Is it exhaust or timing is beeing pulled

crazyasiantl 10-03-2012 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by StreetKA (Post 14076937)

But it looks like powerband falls on its face after 5.5k rpms. Is it exhaust or timing is beeing pulled

thats how my car is.

cobb accessport seems to cure it

charliemike 10-03-2012 02:07 PM

I can't remember when was the last time I saw 5500+ on the tach.

Aman 10-03-2012 03:19 PM

:what: Really? I love winding it up, especially when a light turns green on a high speed-limit road or highway on-ramp.

civicdrivr 10-03-2012 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by StreetKA (Post 14076937)

Its probably the size of the turbo.

crazyasiantl 10-03-2012 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by civicdrivr (Post 14077437)
Its probably the size of the turbo.

+1. The Turbo in my car spools up super fast, but falls flat at 5k. And IIRC, the Turbo is only the size of my fist

speedemon90 10-03-2012 04:20 PM

GTI's fall off too, i think turbos just do that in general?? They run out of air up top.

anywhoo, you think that tune will yank at your steering wheel?? It is still a fwd car.

charliemike 10-03-2012 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by Aman (Post 14077434)
:what: Really? I love winding it up, especially when a light turns green on a high speed-limit road or highway on-ramp.

Winding up your 2.0? :tomato:

iSeeYouTwo 10-03-2012 04:24 PM

What car/motor is that tune for?

charliemike 10-03-2012 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by iSeeYouTwo (Post 14077593)
What car/motor is that tune for?

2013 Ford Focus ST

2.0L Ecoboost 4-cylinder

speedemon90 10-03-2012 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by charliemike (Post 14077592)

I havent done it recently for certain reasons i'll explain later, but maybe before a month ago, i'd hit redline at least once a week in my car :tomato:

Aman 10-03-2012 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by speedemon90 (Post 14077584)
GTI's fall off too, i think turbos just do that in general?? They run out of air up top.

anywhoo, you think that tune will yank at your steering wheel?? It is still a fwd car.

I thought it was mainly the size of the turbo, like Morgan said. :dunno: That's why variable-vanes are popular, no?

Originally Posted by charliemike (Post 14077592)

It's part necessity :tomato:

I do enjoy doing it in any car though. :shrug:

speedemon90 10-03-2012 04:54 PM

^well i dont know too much about turbos, but i'm sure that size matters too. Just saying its a common trait of a turbo? And brb while i google variable vane turbos haah

SuperTrooper169 10-03-2012 05:09 PM

My MS6 in stock tune falls flat on it's face after 5500 RPM too, but Cobb has eliminated that problem to my redline loving delight.

Aman 10-03-2012 05:14 PM

On the topic of tunes, what are the downsides? All we hear are improved power, improved fuel economy, improved everything.

Is it just a little less reliable?

charliemike 10-03-2012 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by Aman (Post 14077702)
On the topic of tunes, what are the downsides? All we hear are improved power, improved fuel economy, improved everything.

Too aggressive and the engine could go kaboom.

But most of the time I wouldn't imagine much risk other than perhaps some premature wear from being under more pressure more often.

My guess.

civicdrivr 10-03-2012 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by speedemon90 (Post 14077584)

It depends. Smaller turbos spool faster but cant move as much air at higher rpms. Larger turbos spool slower aka turbo lag but make monsterous power up top. Just look at a single turbo Supra dyno graph.

There are ways to mix and match the halves as well, so you can tailor the snail to the motor.

Originally Posted by Aman (Post 14077702)

Cost? :shrug:

Originally Posted by charliemike (Post 14077764)
Too aggressive and the engine could go kaboom.

But most of the time I wouldn't imagine much risk other than perhaps some premature wear from being under more pressure more often.

My guess.

Most of the off the shelf tunes are tame enough that you dont have to worry about blowing the engine.

For example: Subaru recommends at least 91 octane in my car since thats what the tune is setup for. The tune I have now is spec'd specifically for 93 octane, so timing is a bit more aggressive and the fuel trims are cleaned up a bit. I can run 87 octane in an emergency, but I have to drive real easy on the car.

Im sure that the ST can make another 20-40whp/tq on corn juice too.

Costco 10-03-2012 07:16 PM

Most manufacturers very conservatively tune their F/I vehicles in order to maximize reliability *glares at Volkswagen*

Other times, it's baffling. I believe on early Mazda DISI motors (2.3 turbo, MS3/6), the stock tune is actually more prone than it should be to deonation, though I may be missing some details. It's prevalent enough to the point where MS owners even coined the term ZZB (Zoom Zoom Boom) :tomato:

Nothing API or an Accessport can't fix!

Costco 10-03-2012 07:24 PM

UA6's SRT-8 thread reminded me... whatever the hell happened to these? I'd imagine these are a lower-cost alternative to ventilated seats.

http://hooniverse.com/wp-content/upl...AM-720x482.jpg

http://carphotos.cardomain.com/ride_...4022_large.jpg

The crotch vent is just as important as well the other vents. Swamp crotch is more uncomfortable than anything else. Also found another name for these vents: ball blowers... heh

Rick_TL-S 10-03-2012 08:31 PM

Drove our '07 Carrera S today & felt right at home surprisingly with it being a stick. Stiff clutch, yet still gives you enough feedback to know when its biting. Kind of surprised me because with the PDK transmission, you have to ease into the gas pedal to find the "bite" point I guess & it's tricky because the car will sometimes shudder a bit (as if stalling) & then just launch when you try to give it a little more throttle. The ones I've driven so far (par Boxster), I've yet to get the car to gently ease into motion; they always want to take off. So, it actually felt easier with the manual. :annoyed:

Afterwards, had a chance to drive '13 Boxster. It had the PDK tranny as well, but the throttle response was much easier without the car wanting to take off. I've never driven a previous Boxster before though, but I can't imagine just what kind of improvements were done because it's an amazing, little car.

Definitely made me want the Carrera S until I realized I can't afford a $57,000 car. :tomato:

RPhilMan1 10-04-2012 10:19 AM

Just put an order and deposit down for an ST - ST3 package with moonroof on Oxford White. :smirk:

ttribe 10-04-2012 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by RPhilMan1 (Post 14079117)
Just put an order and deposit down for an ST - ST3 package with moonroof on Oxford White. :smirk:

:thumbsup:

MarbleGT 10-04-2012 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by Costco (Post 14077953)
The crotch vent is just as important as well the other vents. Swamp crotch is more uncomfortable than anything else. Also found another name for these vents: ball blowers... heh

My Mazda has crotch vents for both the driver and passenger.

RPhilMan1 10-04-2012 10:37 AM

srika 10-04-2012 10:47 AM

congrats! :toocool:

SuperTrooper169 10-04-2012 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by Costco (Post 14077936)
Most manufacturers very conservatively tune their F/I vehicles in order to maximize reliability *glares at Volkswagen*

Other times, it's baffling. I believe on early Mazda DISI motors (2.3 turbo, MS3/6), the stock tune is actually more prone than it should be to deonation, though I may be missing some details. It's prevalent enough to the point where MS owners even coined the term ZZB (Zoom Zoom Boom) :tomato:

Nothing API or an Accessport can't fix!

The stock tune for the DISI motors are very conservative, but that's not the reason for being prone for ZZB. The stock tunes run rich to prevent knock but in turn create more fuel being dumped back into the valves. As well they're tuned with prevention in mind, so if some f*cktard puts 87 octane in it'll still run and not blow up. It'll run like crap but it will run. Also the stock spark plugs are basically at their heat range limit with the stock tune, so the very first thing you're supposed to do before tuning with an AP is get step colder plugs. The high flow fuel pump is also close to it's limit for holding fuel pressure with the stock tune/parts, so if you mod beyond the basic bolt-ons, such as installing a downpipe, mainfold, etc. you need to upgrade the fuel pump internals to be able to handle the increased fuel flow. I've decided to not go with a downpipe so I'm still using my stock internals but my logs show steady fuel pressure during WOT runs.

The real reason for ZZB though is the car being a relative performance bargain being put into the hands of kids just getting their license and thinking it's a race car. More often than not it's because of simple abuse, dropping the hammer on it constantly or boosting at too low RPMs causing all that excessive boost in the cylinders. There has been it happening (supposedly) to someone while just crusing at a steady speed out of boost, but I'm suspicious about that. But I personally run an off the shelf COBB tune simply because it's much better than the stock tune but still safe enough that I'm not pushing the limit since this is my daily driver. Some MS6/MS3 guys are tuning on E85 and making HUGE power. It's not uncommon to see 500+ hp out of the DISIs now, of course with big turbos, not stock units, but still that's insane for a sub-$30,000 car IMO.

charliemike 10-04-2012 11:18 AM

Awesome! Congrats! When do you think it'll arrive?

StreetKA 10-04-2012 11:22 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPTL...e_gdata_player

I wish they would being the astra to us as a buick

RPhilMan1 10-04-2012 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by charliemike (Post 14079300)
Awesome! Congrats! When do you think it'll arrive?

Thanks! At the earliest, it could be 6 weeks. However, they do shut down for Thanksgiving. Thus, getting the order in now was crucial. I hope 6-8 weeks.

charliemike 10-04-2012 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by RPhilMan1 (Post 14079340)
Thanks! At the earliest, it could be 6 weeks. However, they do shut down for Thanksgiving. Thus, getting the order in now was crucial. I hope 6-8 weeks.

I was looking online and it doesn't seem that Ford is sending or dealers are ordering ST3s. You find that to be the case?

RPhilMan1 10-04-2012 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by charliemike (Post 14079378)
I was looking online and it doesn't seem that Ford is sending or dealers are ordering ST3s. You find that to be the case?

ST3s were on material hold for a while due to the HID headlights. Ford confirmed that they started production on 10/1. They won't be hitting the dealers until the end of October.

My order will be the first ST3 that arrives at my dealer - needless to say my rep said they were anxious to see one! :tongue:

On another note, I already ordered the SCT Custom Programmer and tune since it's on sale for the month of October. I'll also order the JBR rear motor mount to reduce wheel hop, the Steeda CAI when it is released, Steeda rear swaybar, and eventually a nice cat back exhaust. So it begins. :toocool::tomato:

speedemon90 10-04-2012 12:53 PM

sweet!!! When can you expect it??

edit: just saw your post above :tomato: