General Car Talk Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2020, 02:08 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,569 Likes on 986 Posts
Originally Posted by oonowindoo
People live in Palm springs?? isnt that like in the middle of the desert
It is but they have their own aquifer so they don't share with LA. And after a certain point hot is just hot?
Old 06-12-2020, 02:39 PM
Ex-OEM King

Received 6,192 Likes on 4,062 Posts
Originally Posted by JS + XES
Yeah it's like 10-15 degree hotter than LA average, but it's not humid at all. I can't do humid weather. Vegas has recently getting a lot of urban development so there's a lot of good Asian restaurants and kids places.

The housing there is very cheap since there's so much land to be developed. Wish the houses aren't so close to each other though. Haven't been able to find houses that are a little apart from each other.

And Socal is just brutal for housing market. I own a 1200 ft condo near DTLA and its 540k and our HOA is 440. It's so dumb hahaha. At least I have it so I will rent it out and make profit off of it if I decide to just keep it and move to Vegas.

If I was loaded enough, I would just buy a house in La Canada at the entrance of Angeles Crest Highway. Houses I want are like 1.3mil so I may come back when I can comfortably afford it in 5 years. I grew up in OC/LA so I love it here. Moving to Vegas just makes a lot of sense financially.
Move up here. $540k in my town will buy you a 3500sq ft house in the best school district in the state with maybe half that HOA per year.

Just gotta deal with a bit of cold and the occasional riot.
The following users liked this post:
nist7 (06-13-2020)
Old 06-12-2020, 02:49 PM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Originally Posted by SamDoe1
Move up here. $540k in my town will buy you a 3500sq ft house in the best school district in the state with maybe half that HOA per year.

Bro we're Californians, I start wearing jackets when the temperature starts with a 6.

This is how I picture people from the Northeast (NSFW due to shirtless middle aged dude swigging from a bottle):

Old 06-12-2020, 02:51 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,273 Likes on 3,050 Posts
and shoving snow at 6am at -20 just to move the car out... He will die..
Old 06-12-2020, 03:50 PM
Ex-OEM King

Originally Posted by Costco
Bro we're Californians, I start wearing jackets when the temperature starts with a 6.

This is how I picture people from the Northeast (NSFW due to shirtless middle aged dude swigging from a bottle):
You get used to it pretty fast. Also MN is definitely not the NE.

and shoving snow at 6am at -20 just to move the car out... He will die..
Bro. -20 is too cold for it to snow so that'll never happen.
nist7 (06-13-2020)
Old 06-12-2020, 04:15 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,600 Likes on 1,581 Posts

Just buy a Snowmobile & some riot supressent spray & your good to go.

Move to Carolina & you can skip the Snowmobile.
nist7 (06-13-2020)
Old 06-12-2020, 05:48 PM

You get used to it pretty fast. Also MN is definitely not the NE.
My gf's sister lived in Minneapolis for several years. I seent it, during winter they both look the same to me I actually like the cold, but the gf can't handle it.

If we're going by that leasing convo in that other thread, then maybe a trade in can resolve my issues
Old 06-12-2020, 08:18 PM
Someday, an RS6 Avant+

Received 1,019 Likes on 542 Posts
Colorado is a nice place. Taxes are reasonable, you can open carry, and a nice house runs 400-600 in the best school districts. Oh, I forgot to say that this true in Colorado Springs. The liberal shit holes of Boulder and Denver are too expensive.
Old 06-12-2020, 10:21 PM
Ex-OEM King

Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory
Just buy a Snowmobile & some riot supressent spray & your good to go.

Move to Carolina & you can skip the Snowmobile.
Snowmobiles are a ton of fun though.

My gf's sister lived in Minneapolis for several years. I seent it, during winter they both look the same to me I actually like the cold, but the gf can't handle it.

If we're going by that leasing convo in that other thread, then maybe a trade in can resolve my issues
They look the same but the people are a lot different. Not many assholes here.

Also, housing is cheaper and taxes are lower.

Originally Posted by mrmako
Colorado is a nice place. Taxes are reasonable, you can open carry, and a nice house runs 400-600 in the best school districts. Oh, I forgot to say that this true in Colorado Springs. The liberal shit holes of Boulder and Denver are too expensive.
My next job I want to be in CO. It's where I think we'd be the happiest to be honest. Tons of hiking and off road opportunities.
mrmako (06-13-2020)
Old 06-13-2020, 04:19 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,094 Likes on 749 Posts
Originally Posted by civicdrivr
My father used to live in Vegas. I think he was there for 6-7 years in the early 2000s. I loved it there, but the sustainability is a sticking point. When he first moved there, Lake Mead was around it's normal level. By the time he left, it was around half full and continued to fall. It's recovered some, but still only about half full. I considered moving out there about 8 years ago, but it was difficult finding a job in my field that paid a decent salary. Housing isn't terribly expensive but most other things are, and it does get hot - I've experienced ~120*. Standing outside is ok for a little bit, but if you need to do any work outside, do it early in the morning.

Oh, and scorpions. Fuck those things.
Oh wow didn't know about Lake Meade. Wife and I went to vegas few years back and we rented a littler power boat to drive around the lake and up on the "walls" of the lake it looked it the water level used to be much higher but we weren't sure....it's interesting to know these things.

And in fact probably good to do some more scientific/digging into these things before you move to an area so that you can prep for the next 10-20+ years if you want to settle down in that area for long time.

A good couple friends of ours moved from NorCal up to Seattle area....mostly for his wife's work but also our friend (husband of the wife) said that with the coming climate change, seattle area should get warmer/less wet in the coming years?...so could be more california-like in the next ~20+ years....

lol, I mean you guys did elect Jesse Ventura so that's pretty bad ass and honestly any city could've been hit like that...just matter of time.....yeah here in KC 540k gets you very similar things....3000+sq ft and best school district.

But then again gotta deal with the cold/snow and having to connect usually from KC to another hub airport to go overseas which is somewhat annoying...at least MSP has lot more direct intl flights I think than MCI

Originally Posted by mrmako
We went skiing there with friends who live in Denver....they say Denver is getting expensive as hell and homes are selling over asking from hours of being listed...crazyiness.

The nature outdoors is awesome though...and lots of snow possible too....
mrmako (06-13-2020)
Old 06-15-2020, 12:21 PM
Safety Car

Alright, need our local Audizine experts opinion.

I'm looking to possibly upgrade from my current 06 TL.

Here's a 2015 Audi A7 3.0 TDI listed locally at a Ford dealer for $22,311: https://www.louisburgfordsales.com/u...earchDepth=1:4
And this has definitely piqued my interest. Mileage is bit higher at 98,000

PROS:
  • TDI gets you 38MPG with 19 gallon tank for ~700mi of range per tank (very useful since I commute a total of about 700mi per week, would love to just fill up once a week instead of 2x/week as I do now)
  • Awesome styling and the lower end torque seems to be very practical/usable
  • Fairly cheap at low $20s
  • The 2015 is a revised generation (mid generation update) with better headlight/styling and some interior updates IIRC
  • I LOVE the liftback means huge cargo/trunk space at almost 25 cu-ft (I hate the normal sedan trunk). This is a lot cheaper alternative than a Panamera or the Model S (both of which are liftback sedans and way more than I care to spend right now). And looks way better than say a crossover appliance and is more roomier than some of other smaller traditional hatchbacks
  • No spark plug to worry about (but of course TDI things to worry about)
CONS:
  • Diesel-gate scandal means this car may be getting less than advertised 38mpg/700mi after it has had the emission software fixed? I assume this car is legal to drive now as all those cars had to have the fix done to be road-legal....
  • Added hassle of needing to add DEF(AdBlue) regularly. For this A7 3.0 TDI it looks like it takes 17 liters and will last about 8,000 miles (resetting the Adblue/DEF light I've heard may need to go to dealer if it runs too low?....not sure....)
  • Much higher maintenance/repair cost of an Audi. Looks like it's coming up on 100k mi which means it could be due for a "Major" maintenance: https://www.audiusa.com/content/dam/...RIL%202018.pdf
    • AdBlue - fill/replace
    • Diesel Particular Filter check/inspection (due at 115k miles for all TDI motors), could be expensive if needs replacement? (DIY possible?)
    • Fuel filter replacement every 20,000 miles (for TDI motors)
    • Along with all the other usual 100k items (brakes, belts, fluids/reservoirs, etc. etc.)
  • Potential timing chain issues? Not sure if 2015 is late enough, but I remember hearing about horror stories of timing chain guides/tensioners going out....I've read that more frequent engine oil changes can minimize that?
  • I assume this is a direct injection motor...potential carbon build up? But then again this is a TDI so maybe it's not the same as a gas motor?
    Any other issues with diesel motors I need to worry about for maintenance?

My co-worker owns a A8L TDI and says a "major" servivce at his local dealer was about $1700 (though that included all new tires). Apparently he knows a service person at a local AUdi dealer and this particular car has been serviced at the local audi dealer and most recent issue is that it had some road noise/whining at speed...and dealer says it could be due to the aftermarket wheels/tires....which I couldn't tell but looking at other 2015s it seems like that car does have aftermarket wheels?

I could use that as an advantage to bargain down the price. I do want to move down to as small of OEM wheel as possible (looks like 19s) and looking at OEM Audi sites...looks like they run about 400-500 per wheel? So that's 2k + tires. Maybe I could sell these wheels for some money back...but that is another issue. I hate huge wheels since this is going to be a luxury highway cruiser so smaller OEM with meatier tires = more comfort.

Local Audi dealer is quoting $185 for a pre purchase inspection.

If anyone has any advice on this car in general I would greatly appreciated it!!! I'll probably crosspost this to Audizine also.

Last edited by nist7; 06-15-2020 at 12:34 PM.
00TL-P3.2 (06-15-2020)
Old 06-15-2020, 12:30 PM
Team Owner

Major service include tires for 1700 is cheap.... I know someone who spent $3000 on maint. and some minor repairs on a 14 years old Accord.

Dont know too much about TDIs but as for any used German cars, especially 100k miles used German cars.

Just make sure you are protected...
The following 2 users liked this post by oonowindoo:
00TL-P3.2 (06-15-2020), nist7 (06-15-2020)
Old 06-15-2020, 12:38 PM
Safety Car

Major service include tires for 1700 is cheap.... I know someone who spent $3000 on maint. and some minor repairs on a 14 years old Accord.

Dont know too much about TDIs but as for any used German cars, especially 100k miles used German cars.

Just make sure you are protected...
Yeah I'm guessing that's why the last owner traded it in at 98k knowing there is a potential for a very big repair bill coming up and would rather get into a new ride and let the dealer mess with the resale.

I'm hoping the $185 pre purchase inspection is well worth it and looks like the local Audi Dealer has had this exact car in for service so they may know what is upcoming and due.

Certainly I'm fortunate to be in a financial situation where a more significant 4-figure repair bill is do-able...but still would rather be well prepared going in...especially if it can knock the price down to below $20k.

Of course something could always go wrong and a needed repair may be needed....like with any higher mileage used vehicles....ugh...my frugality and wallet-preservation mentality is fighting against the desire to get into a nicer vehicle...lol

Gonna have to talk to the wife also....it's probably gonna get shot down...lol....
Old 06-15-2020, 12:42 PM

Received 5,559 Likes on 3,794 Posts
The A7 has grown on me a lot. Really didn't like them when it came out.
If it's solid, I'd say that would make quite the comfortable DD/interstate mileage-muncher.

Also, agreed, $1700 with tires seems pretty cheap. OE Conti Runflats on my C300 are about 1200 before installation.
nist7 (06-15-2020)
Old 06-15-2020, 12:53 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by 00TL-P3.2
The A7 has grown on me a lot. Really didn't like them when it came out.
If it's solid, I'd say that would make quite the comfortable DD/interstate mileage-muncher.

Also, agreed, $1700 with tires seems pretty cheap. OE Conti Runflats on my C300 are about 1200 before installation.
Yeah....seems like it...just tires alone with dealer prices for labor and TPMS and nitrogen BS and whatnot can easily go north of $1000....maybe he was really just quoting tires + minor stuff like a routine oil change that can go up to 1700.

I've been doing some internet-window shopping for a while and my most recent obsession has been these liftback sedans where you keep the sedan styling but with the increased cargo capacity and better rear cargo access with the liftback...without having to go to say a hatchback or into a crossover/suv territory. Wish more cars were like this design.

A friend just bought a 2019 Prius and that is the other very very practical car to have with the hatch design but clearly two diff goals being met....figured A7 with the TDI is a great compromise that gets very good MPG without going hybrid/electric.....given it is a larger luxury sedan
Old 06-15-2020, 12:58 PM
Team Owner

I would look into newer 435/440GC to be honest.. with 22k... you dont have to add a lot more to get a good one... and you dont have to worry as much since it will be much newer with lower mileage...A5 Sportback hasnt been out long enough to be "cheap"

But you can find plenty of low mileage 2018 A5 sportback in the low 30s range. Many of them are certified = warranty...

They all sound much better than an audi with 100k miles to me..

Last edited by oonowindoo; 06-15-2020 at 01:03 PM.
nist7 (06-15-2020)
Old 06-15-2020, 01:17 PM
Safety Car

I would look into newer 435/440GC to be honest.. with 22k... you dont have to add a lot more to get a good one... and you dont have to worry as much since it will be much newer with lower mileage...A5 Sportback hasnt been out long enough to be "cheap"

But you can find plenty of low mileage 2018 A5 sportback in the low 30s range. Many of them are certified = warranty...

They all sound much better than an audi with 100k miles to me..
Ah dang, good call....didn't know about the Gran Coupes and the A5 Sportback....should've done more research into these kinds of cars.

Looks like the A5 Sportback is in the 30s still...hmmm

Last edited by nist7; 06-15-2020 at 01:21 PM.
Old 06-15-2020, 01:32 PM
Team Owner

10k difference is a good deal considering it will have at least 70k less miles = 5+ years of driving
Certified Warranty and the ability to buy extended warranty
Newer tech than the A7
Better equipment
Newer generation car in general
cheaper maint.
Better MPG

peace of mind
nist7 (06-15-2020)
Old 06-15-2020, 01:53 PM
Safety Car

10k difference is a good deal considering it will have at least 70k less miles = 5+ years of driving
Certified Warranty and the ability to buy extended warranty
Newer tech than the A7
Better equipment
Newer generation car in general
cheaper maint.
Better MPG

peace of mind
Yeah, good point. I think the value is definitely there....for $10k more the tech/newer/lesser miles definitely more valuable. Lose out on TDI but the newer gas turbo motors have been very efficient too (rented a A6 while ago with the 2.0T I think....and it got basically close to 40mpg if I stayed easy on the gas on the highway....)

Yeah looked up more info on Audizine and on the Diesel-gate scandal....basically VW is giving extended emissions system warranty up to 10yr/120k (exhaust, diesel emission control systems, turbo, fuel system. EGR. ECU, OBD,). Of course this car is already at basically almost 100k so warranty is nearing its end...and then with my driving it'll be done in 1 year and then big repairs could pop up.....and this car had it done in 2018. Looks like slightly lower MPG, diff engine noise, and more frequent use of the diesel exhaust fluid additive (AdBlue) which per the fix you can get free AdBlue refills at dealers.

Hmm....the search continues. THanks a ton @oonowindoo , helps me give perspective and get away from when you get too addicted to one car/model.....and step back and look at the negatives.
oonowindoo (06-15-2020)
Old 06-15-2020, 02:03 PM

In general I wouldn't mess with anything diesel these days with that high mileage.

Whatever fuel savings you might gain from the TDI will be greatly offset by the repair/replacement of emissions-related parts. It looks like performance and fuel economy aren't affected that much if at all, depending on the engine. I found the same issues you stumbled upon, so the fix itself really isn't bad overall.

Still, diesel fuel is subsidized a lot more in other countries, I don't really think it's worth it at all in the US. Diesel was quite a bit cheaper gasoline in Germany when I was there, but apparently the trend is being changed and diesels are beginning to fall out of favor even in Europe.
nist7 (06-15-2020)
Old 06-15-2020, 02:11 PM
Team Owner

I personally dont have any issue with Diesel.. i have issue with high mileage German cars in general diesel or gas alike

Not because i think they are less reliable or whatnot, but just the cost of the keep them running is just too high for what it's worth.
nist7 (06-15-2020)
Old 06-15-2020, 02:26 PM
Safety Car

In general I wouldn't mess with anything diesel these days with that high mileage.

Whatever fuel savings you might gain from the TDI will be greatly offset by the repair/replacement of emissions-related parts. It looks like performance and fuel economy aren't affected that much if at all, depending on the engine. I found the same issues you stumbled upon, so the fix itself really isn't bad overall.

Still, diesel fuel is subsidized a lot more in other countries, I don't really think it's worth it at all in the US. Diesel was quite a bit cheaper gasoline in Germany when I was there, but apparently the trend is being changed and diesels are beginning to fall out of favor even in Europe.
Yeah....definitely good point with the cost from fuel saving will be going down the drain with repair stuff down the road...especially at near 100k miles for the A7.

Yeah diesel means less gas station option (no costco) and its definitely not as cheap as gas here per gallon.

I personally dont have any issue with Diesel.. i have issue with high mileage German cars in general diesel or gas alike

Not because i think they are less reliable or whatnot, but just the cost of the keep them running is just too high for what it's worth.
Indeed.

The other thing is with diesel I had no idea they had to have additional emission control system to help control pollutants in the exhaust...which means this is another system in the car that can go wrong and then needing to be fixed/maintained down the road.

Apparently, if you completely run out of the diesel exhaust fluid additive...the car will literally shutdown and will not re-start until you get it refilled...like a hard stop....
Old 06-15-2020, 02:34 PM

I know a guy that dumped a diesel Super Duty that he bought new, then moved onto a Duramax which got lemon law'd. He then decided to swear off of diesels. Ironically went to the presumed least reliable brand among the 3 domestics (Ram), but got the gas 5.7L and it has been reliable for him.

Even with ultra low sulfur diesel, the engines just put out way more pollutants and therefore require more emissions equipment to be legal. More complexity = more chances of things going wrong = more cost.

Stack all that on top of high-mileage German reliability. Even if its reliable, parts and labor are higher and it will eventually need service which most of us cannot perform ourselves. Audi timing chains are dependent on the engine, but the V6s are all longitudinal, which means the engine will have to be dropped if service needs to be done. In other words, prepare your anus

I want to like diesels so much, but even before the whole diesel gate thing they were questionable. Not piling on more since Nist seems aware of the downsides, but ugh. I'm a little salty.
nist7 (06-15-2020)
Old 06-15-2020, 02:41 PM
Safety Car

I know a guy that dumped a diesel Super Duty that he bought new, then moved onto a Duramax which got lemon law'd. He then decided to swear off of diesels. Ironically went to the presumed least reliable brand among the 3 domestics (Ram), but got the gas 5.7L and it has been reliable for him.

Even with ultra low sulfur diesel, the engines just put out way more pollutants and therefore require more emissions equipment to be legal. More complexity = more chances of things going wrong = more cost.

Stack all that on top of high-mileage German reliability. Even if its reliable, parts and labor are higher and it will eventually need service which most of us cannot perform ourselves. Audi timing chains are dependent on the engine, but the V6s are all longitudinal, which means the engine will have to be dropped if service needs to be done. In other words, prepare your anus

I want to like diesels so much, but even before the whole diesel gate thing they were questionable. Not piling on more since Nist seems aware of the downsides, but ugh. I'm a little salty.
Yup yup. Many sobering facts indeed and good to look at it from a distance....ah well, the love fest was fun while it lasted during this internet-window shopping phase.

The modern car repair/maintenance with much less DIY-ability is a good point you bring up. So much electronic/software stuff as well as very specialized tools/things that shade-tree mechanics are unable to do nowadays compared to yesteryear......not to mention re-sale value and of course general car reliability going forward if things are not done right.

In other words, prepare your anus
Old 06-15-2020, 04:26 PM
Ex-OEM King

The "major service" thing is a bit of a misnomer. It's not that they do more stuff like plugs, belts, etc, they just "check" more stuff and lube up the door hinges. That said, the major service plus a set of tires that are worth driving on for $1700 seems a little too good to be true.

What are your requirements in a new car? I think you can do a whole lot better than an old Audi with nearly 100k on the clock. Hell, $23k will get you into a 2018 Accord 2.0T which will be FAR FAR FAR FAR FAR more reliable and come with all the latest gadgets and gizmos. If you don't need anything that big, you can get a nice GTI for that price for more party and practicality. There are the aforementioned newer 3 series (and 2 series if coupe is ok), or hell and I can't believe I'm saying this, the TLX as well.
The following 2 users liked this post by SamDoe1:
00TL-P3.2 (06-16-2020), nist7 (06-16-2020)
Old 06-15-2020, 05:09 PM
Team Owner

He wants a hatch that looks like a car

There are only a few that he could choose from new or used

Stinger
4GC
A5/S5 sportback
A7
BMW GT lines ( )

I really wish Honda made the current Accord a hatch... i mean it's got the hatch look already...

Last edited by oonowindoo; 06-15-2020 at 05:13 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by oonowindoo:
Old 06-15-2020, 05:50 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,050 Posts
Accord hatchbacks?

Sometimes I wonder if this would've sold better as a styling exercise rather than a utility exercise:

The following 3 users liked this post by Aman:
civicdrivr (06-15-2020), Costco (06-15-2020), nist7 (06-16-2020)
Old 06-15-2020, 05:59 PM

Why would you lift a 1G Porsche Panamera?
The following 2 users liked this post by Costco:
Aman (06-17-2020), nist7 (06-16-2020)
Old 06-15-2020, 06:18 PM
Team Owner

That thing is in the same category as 3GT and 5GT.. except even uglier...
Old 06-15-2020, 09:19 PM
Ex-OEM King

Duct tape some BMW badges over the Honda ones and people will buy it in droves.
nist7 (06-16-2020)
Old 06-16-2020, 06:40 AM
Safety Car

The "major service" thing is a bit of a misnomer. It's not that they do more stuff like plugs, belts, etc, they just "check" more stuff and lube up the door hinges. That said, the major service plus a set of tires that are worth driving on for $1700 seems a little too good to be true.

What are your requirements in a new car? I think you can do a whole lot better than an old Audi with nearly 100k on the clock. Hell, $23k will get you into a 2018 Accord 2.0T which will be FAR FAR FAR FAR FAR more reliable and come with all the latest gadgets and gizmos. If you don't need anything that big, you can get a nice GTI for that price for more party and practicality. There are the aforementioned newer 3 series (and 2 series if coupe is ok), or hell and I can't believe I'm saying this, the TLX as well.
Now that I think about it.....it comes down to honestly more modern audio/tech (OEM/built-in bluetooth availability) and a more hatch-like cargo space if possible (hence the liftback sedans) and of course generally newer/better ride with higher MPG....pretty much more of wants...I mean honestly I could just use earbud when I drive and whatnot....

But yeah definitely I'm no longer seduced by the A7....just watched a YT video where a mechanic said a 2014 A7 timing chain quote was about $6700......40hrs of labor with...AND then he goes to say don't buy a modern Audi TDI if any of the diesel emission system needs repair,.,..could go up to 10k or more.....

The new Accord 2.0Ts are damn nice...maybe I can forgo the whole hatch-like trunk thing in a sedan....

Hmmm now that I think about it....TSX Wagon???

Originally Posted by Aman
Accord hatchbacks?

Sometimes I wonder if this would've sold better as a styling exercise rather than a utility exercise:

He wants a hatch that looks like a car

There are only a few that he could choose from new or used

Stinger
4GC
A5/S5 sportback
A7
BMW GT lines ( )

I really wish Honda made the current Accord a hatch... i mean it's got the hatch look already...
haha, yup.

Yeah agreed on an Accord hatch version...without that abomination that was the Accord Crosstour....
Old 06-16-2020, 08:52 AM

Stinger GT gets my vote, if the A7 is out.
Even the 2.0T Stinger is a nice drive.
Old 06-16-2020, 09:27 AM
Safety Car

Stinger GT gets my vote, if the A7 is out.
Even the 2.0T Stinger is a nice drive.
Yeah I'll have to drive one to see.....I know the popular opinion is a big thumbs up for the Stinger....which I love for where it sits as Kia and a competitor to a luxury sport sedan....and with the liftback design....only thing is that I've never liked the entire front end of the Stinger....just too busy with the oddly shaped grille and vents (to me).....
Old 06-16-2020, 09:46 AM
Ex-OEM King

Originally Posted by nist7
Now that I think about it.....it comes down to honestly more modern audio/tech (OEM/built-in bluetooth availability) and a more hatch-like cargo space if possible (hence the liftback sedans) and of course generally newer/better ride with higher MPG....pretty much more of wants...I mean honestly I could just use earbud when I drive and whatnot....

But yeah definitely I'm no longer seduced by the A7....just watched a YT video where a mechanic said a 2014 A7 timing chain quote was about $6700......40hrs of labor with...AND then he goes to say don't buy a modern Audi TDI if any of the diesel emission system needs repair,.,..could go up to 10k or more.....

The new Accord 2.0Ts are damn nice...maybe I can forgo the whole hatch-like trunk thing in a sedan....

Hmmm now that I think about it....TSX Wagon???
The TSX wagon won't get you any of the gizmos that your TL doesn't already have.

Another option is a GTI autobahn if you don't need the space or AWD. It'll have all the things including ACC, blind spot, collision warning, traffic jam assist, android auto/carplay, LED headlights, etc etc etc. It comes only in hatch and is a total party in a can to drive.
nist7 (06-16-2020)
Old 06-16-2020, 10:12 AM

^ The GTI is a blast. Hindsight, might've been a better long-term option over my MB. For my budget at the time, it would've had to be an SE, the Autobahn was a bit outside our planned budget at the time.
nist7 (06-16-2020)
Old 06-16-2020, 10:28 AM
Safety Car

The TSX wagon won't get you any of the gizmos that your TL doesn't already have.

Another option is a GTI autobahn if you don't need the space or AWD. It'll have all the things including ACC, blind spot, collision warning, traffic jam assist, android auto/carplay, LED headlights, etc etc etc. It comes only in hatch and is a total party in a can to drive.
haha, nice and of course the classic Golf.

I defnitely love the styling though the only thing is if I can live with the smaller cargo room...definitely a nice hatch and could be had for very reasonable amounts.

Looks like there are quite a few variants of the Golf...Mk7 SportWagen is very practical but it does look a bit awkward with the body lines/proportions....

Any issues with VW reliability? I think the Golf is quite reliable overall?

Lot of different variants/trims/etc....gonna have to read up on the Golf more...
Old 06-16-2020, 10:45 AM

Less power, but the Alltrack could be an option. Pretty much a lower-powered GTI longroof, with the addition of AWD. IMO, the Alltrack is much nicer looking over the GSW.
nist7 (06-16-2020)
Old 06-16-2020, 11:14 AM
Safety Car

Less power, but the Alltrack could be an option. Pretty much a lower-powered GTI longroof, with the addition of AWD. IMO, the Alltrack is much nicer looking over the GSW.
Yes. Dang, AllTrack looks WAY better than the SportWagen. And the cargo volume is the same. Sliiiightly lower MPG due to the AWD and heavier weight but certainly that is enticing....very affordable prices also.
Old 06-16-2020, 11:40 AM

I looked hard at the Alltrack SE alongside the GTI.
If the Alltrack had a bit more HP, it'd be perfect. IIRC, all trims of the later MYs Alltrack can be had with the DSG or the 6MT.
Old 06-16-2020, 11:58 AM
Ex-OEM King

Originally Posted by nist7
haha, nice and of course the classic Golf.

I defnitely love the styling though the only thing is if I can live with the smaller cargo room...definitely a nice hatch and could be had for very reasonable amounts.

Looks like there are quite a few variants of the Golf...Mk7 SportWagen is very practical but it does look a bit awkward with the body lines/proportions....

Any issues with VW reliability? I think the Golf is quite reliable overall?

Lot of different variants/trims/etc....gonna have to read up on the Golf more...
I've had mine for 2 years and 15k miles without a single problem. Anecdotal evidence but a data point nontheless. That said, all MY18 and MY19 models come with a 6yr 72k mile bumper to bumper factory warranty so less to worry about there.
The following 2 users liked this post by SamDoe1:

Quick Reply: General Car Talk Discussion Thread