Old 03-17-2004, 12:40 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
g35 all the way
Old 03-17-2004, 02:06 PM
Safety Car

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally posted by JRock
Most of the cars you listed are already over-priced, so instead of reasonably pricing a new car, the new cars come out equally overpriced? No I don't think that makes sense and I certainly won't buy into that. I'll either become a used car buyer and avoid the bullshit premium prices (and enjoy picking one up after a significant depreciation after a year or two) or I'll buy a car I think is actually worth the asking price (which seems to be becoming fewer and fewer cars).

Sorry but the inflation rate in auto industry pricing far exceeds the rise in income for most buyers. Eventually more and more cars are going to start pricing themselves out of reach. Many already have but many people are stupid and go for things like 60, 63, and 72 month loans on a car just to afford it. They're REALLY going to get whacked when they finally brighten up and realize how far upside-down they are in a few years when they want to trade in the car but owe significant amounts of money beyond the value of the car. This already happens with regular (and increasing) occurance at dealerships every day.

There are articles quite often now in auto industry magazines about how dealers are getting worried about when all these long-term car loans are going to come back and bite them in the ass... they're basically giving people ways to afford cars outside of their means (really the cars aren't - the cars are the right cars, but the prices are ridiculously inflated but people need the car and have to find a way to afford it) and they keep approving longer and longer term loans with more and more revolving debt from previous cars the owners want out of after 2-4 years but have 5+ year loans on.

Just sit back and watch what happens. It's all going to come to a head within the next few years.

This is why I'm only going to buy a car I can afford without a monthly payment. I could probably manage a G35Coupe, but I don't find it worth the money I'd spend on it. Definitely not worth my using every last cent of my car budget to get one. I'd rather get a year-old 350Z for $27k (or less) and save almost $10k over the price of a new G35Coupe and put that $10k into something more enjoyable like turbo'ing the Z. Except I don't really like the Z much so I probably wouldn't buy one of those either. =)

I laughed when I heard AHFC approved (I forget if it was) a 60 or 72 month loan on a TSX navi for about $34,000 (which obviously included about $6k of revolving debt from the customer's trade in). Finance companies just keep stretching and stretching out the debt and that cannot go on indefinitely and certainly not much longer considering they're already at 5-6 years on cars that have a turnover rate around 3-4 years.

Your justification of pricing by looking at competitors' prices as an excuse to pay too much for a given car just shows you are falling in line to accept over-priced cars like many other buyers today. Hopefully you won't be one of the many that will be buried in debt over the next few years that will likely bring the auto industry to the brink of collapse when less and less people can afford (aka can get approved for a loan) to get into a new car.
heard this argument time and again.

"you have a lease? oh thats bad..."

"you have a loan? oh thats bad..."

who are you to say what is and isnt right for me? do you know my finances or my priorities? what if i dont want to mod the car? what if id rather take food to work every day and pay for a more expensive car

its great that EVERYONE here buys their cars for CASH and apparently invests the rest of their money. For me, as i CLEARLY represent a SMALL and WRONG minority, ill happily pay for the loan of a car. My dad has a 14 year old geo, my mom an 8 year old altima, and my cl will be with me for the next 5 years at least. i dont give a fuck what the turn arround rate is on a car...which is why i asked about the service with each, im going to keep it for a long ass time. so what is wrong with streaching the payment over a period of time?

if i wanted to i could take a 24 month loan, and then what? what if i dont want to sell the car? just be happy with the knowledge that its payed off? right...

id rather streach it out and have a little money left over to enjoy for myself

for eveyone's opinions, thx again. i'll really need to drive the two and see where my passion lies, though im leaning towards the z to better satisfy the sports niche
Old 03-17-2004, 02:09 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 388 Likes on 196 Posts
Originally posted by SilverBullet
It's a sports car, not suppose to have room or all the goodies. It's not a mid life crisis ACURA CL was. (I don't want to mean or anything, but the CL was for older people and it seemed to have the room for adults. The G35 is more for younger people who don't need the space that much).
you're such a sack rider. whan you had the acura, you talked all sorts of shit about nissan/infinity.

now you have an infinity, and you talk all sorts of shit about the cl-s.

how can anyone take you seriously?
Old 03-17-2004, 02:50 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,666 Likes on 930 Posts
IMO, the CL is no more a mid life crisis ride than the G35C.

Though I'm a Nissan guy, I'd have NO issue with having a CL-S parked in my garage next to my Maxima; and I'm in my mid 30s (aka pre-midlife). $.02
Old 03-17-2004, 02:52 PM
Someday pigs WILL fly!

No, I think what he was referring to was the audience that Acura was targeting in the beginning. There is no doubt that in the beginning that Acura targeted the over 40 crowd. Only when they were convinced to make the 6spd did they re-direct the ads. Dat's all. And the same could be said for my RED G35C 6MT .
Old 03-17-2004, 02:56 PM
Senior Moderator

I guess the same could have been said about the Lexus SC300/400; which seemed to be discontinued at the same time the 2G CL debuted (which itself was discontinued at about the same the the G35C debuted).
Old 03-17-2004, 03:29 PM
Safety Car

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
its funny that you guys keep on bringing up teh midlife crisis thing...most of the people i see driving the g35/z are young ppl

now the 'vette...THAT is a midlife crisis car
Old 03-17-2004, 03:30 PM
Race Director

Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by bkknight369
its funny that you guys keep on bringing up teh midlife crisis thing...most of the people i see driving the g35/z are young ppl

yeah for my mid life crisis i want a viper or something at least semi exotic...no way i'd be driving a sub 40k dollar car.
Old 03-17-2004, 03:38 PM
Someday pigs WILL fly!

Hey watch it....I'm in the middle of mid life crisis and enjoying every moment of it!
Old 03-17-2004, 04:00 PM

Neither car is a midlife crisis car.
Old 03-17-2004, 04:57 PM
Unregistered Member

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally posted by JRock
Most of the cars you listed are already over-priced, so instead of reasonably pricing a new car, the new cars come out equally overpriced?
How are you determining what is over or under priced? Everyone has different spending habits/incomes/priorities, so what may seem overpriced to you might be a bag of shells to someone else.

No I don't think that makes sense and I certainly won't buy into that. I'll either become a used car buyer and avoid the bullshit premium prices (and enjoy picking one up after a significant depreciation after a year or two) or I'll buy a car I think is actually worth the asking price (which seems to be becoming fewer and fewer cars).
Some people don't want to own used cars, even if it is the smarter thing to do financially speaking. I'd pay the extra $$$ just for the new car smell alone

Sorry but the inflation rate in auto industry pricing far exceeds the rise in income for most buyers. Eventually more and more cars are going to start pricing themselves out of reach.
Makes no sense. The market is driven by the buyers. If more and more people can't afford the cars, then the manufacturers will not price them as high. Using your logic, the average family will be forced to buy a cheapo econobox or buy an average car used. It's all market driven though...

Many already have but many people are stupid and go for things like 60, 63, and 72 month loans on a car just to afford it. They're REALLY going to get whacked when they finally brighten up and realize how far upside-down they are in a few years when they want to trade in the car but owe significant amounts of money beyond the value of the car. This already happens with regular (and increasing) occurance at dealerships every day.
Yeah, people learn from their mistakes, even if it is by force. How many people do you know that financed a car for 72 months, lost thier ass, and then did it again?

Your justification of pricing by looking at competitors' prices as an excuse to pay too much for a given car just shows you are falling in line to accept over-priced cars like many other buyers today.
You may think it's all a big conspiracy or something, but competitors prices play a HUGE part in pricing any car. I happen to think the G35c is a awesome value for what you get. How many other cars have the same credentials for the same price (and kick ass styling)??
Old 03-17-2004, 05:01 PM
Unregistered Member

Think about this on new car prices:

Years ago, the Lexus SC400 was much more expensive than a G or Z.

Same with the 300Z and Toyota Supra

The new Z and G are actually a bargain compared to these "old" cars now.
Old 03-17-2004, 05:04 PM
Unregistered Member

5.6 0-60 for the sedan G35. 14.2 at 100 mph also was the 1/4. Several magazines in the past got that.
One magazine got those numbers for the G sedan 6mt.

Show me another.....

The average times for the 6mt sedan are more like 14.6 @98
Old 03-17-2004, 05:06 PM
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by Tom2

Show me another.....

Is it true in the G/Z the autos run fairly close to a well driven M/T?
Old 03-17-2004, 05:08 PM
Race Director

Originally posted by Chaptorial
Is it true in the G/Z the autos run fairly close to a well driven M/T?
yep.
Old 03-17-2004, 05:33 PM
EZZ
Burning Brakes

I find it funny that people say the G-coupe is overpriced and the cls is priced right. Look at resale value. The g35c has the HIGHEST rating possible for resale value. That means that the market had determined that the car is desireable and the price is where it should be. The TLS/CLS has only average resale value (according to ALG). This means that the market has determined them to be not as desireable meaning it was probably OVERPRICED to begin with. In conclusion, I say you may have your opinions but the market has determined that the G35 is priced right and the TLS/CLS is overpriced.
Old 03-18-2004, 09:09 AM
Senior Moderator

http://money.cnn.com/pf/features/lists/resale_values/

...read into it what you will.
Old 03-18-2004, 11:48 AM
Old timer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
heard this argument time and again.

"you have a lease? oh thats bad..."

"you have a loan? oh thats bad..."

who are you to say what is and isnt right for me?
You read my entire argument wrong if that's the response you're writing. I wrote about myself and my preferences for how to buy cars, and I also wrote about the auto industry as a whole, based on articles written by educated economists and auto industry heads.

The rest of your post is irrelevant since you didn't even read mine correctly and instead decided to get all defensive, so it will be ignored. Tom2's will be also since he doesn't understand that most people are sheep and are influenced into buying beyond their reasonable means by advertising and wanting to keep up with the Joneses, and the auto industry creates this demand while also increasing the prices of what you "need" (really "want") to have to feel like you've "made it".

Moving on.
Old 03-18-2004, 12:06 PM
Old timer

The rest of my post, due to gay 5-minute edit limit

The fact is that people haven't learned their lessons, Tom2. This is actually a recent phenomenon that most people are still in the midst of getting screwed by - most are so busy rolling debt over into a new car purchase that they haven't had a chance to realize how bad it is to do that yet. Plus you have the dealers telling them how great it is that they can get them into a new car even with all that extra debt. "It's okay, we can get around that "problem" and get you in a new car TODAY! It's not your fault that you've put yourself into debt on a worthless item!"
They tell them what they want to hear.
It appeals directly to the average American's sense of ignoring things they don't like and hoping they will just "go away".

The industry as a whole is heading for a huge reality check when it all comes apart due to continued lengthening of leases and loans until everyone's so fucked up with debt they can't afford a new car and the new car industry does a collective "oh shit, what do we do now?!".
The reality is you can't ignore these problems forever and you can't just keep brushing things you don't like under the carpet, and many people are going to learn that the hard way in the next few years as more and more people want to buy a new car every three years but have 5-6 year loans on them that leave them upside-down by thousands of dollars (which they then hope to roll into yet another new car loan. Eventually the creditors will have to, "okay that's enough, we can't extend this any further it's just too much debt and we feel the risk is too great for us not getting paid back." When that happens and they say "Enough!" is when it all comes to a screeching halt.

It's the exact attitude of "who are you to say what is and isnt right for me?" that's going to come back to bite you in the ass. There is a right choice and a wrong one. The wrong choice can often "feel right" especially when it's laden with things that appeal to your feelings instead of your common sense. If you keep trying to play the idiot's game of "doing what feels right" instead of what actually is right, you'll find yourself screwed up in no time. A fool follows feelings, an intelligent person deals with facts and reality.

There's nothing wrong with the idea of leasing or finance. There is something wrong with taking out a long-term loan on a car that you will hate after 3-4 years but on which you will still be upsidedown by thousands of dollars. That's a car you REALLY can't afford, even though it would FEEL great to own it today.

Self-control is lacking today and is the root of this problem that has been fed by the auto industry since they only care about selling cars TODAY. The articles discussing this long-term loan phenomenon are starting to become more and more frequent as more people in the industry realize they need to also consider their future sales as well instead of focusing only on today.

Now don't ever confuse their concern for tomorrow with care for you, the buyer. They only care about selling cars. If letting you lease a car long-term is going to hurt their pockets, they'll work out a way to fix that but it won't be for you that they do it, it'll be for them.
Old 03-18-2004, 12:09 PM
Banned

Originally posted by mattg
you're such a sack rider. whan you had the acura, you talked all sorts of shit about nissan/infinity.

Oh did I? Please show me.
Old 03-18-2004, 12:09 PM
Banned

Originally posted by gto2050
No, I think what he was referring to was the audience that Acura was targeting in the beginning. There is no doubt that in the beginning that Acura targeted the over 40 crowd. Only when they were convinced to make the 6spd did they re-direct the ads. Dat's all. And the same could be said for my RED G35C 6MT .
Exactly.
Old 03-18-2004, 12:11 PM
Banned

Show me another.....

2 did, I don't have them on me right now. They are at home.

Also, Most of the sedans run low 14s. The autos run 14.6s. BTW, I ran 14.3 at 97.5 mph with 2.1 60ft, and only 1400 miles. I bogged badly and just wasn't use to the car. It was bone stock. The car can now run at least a 13.9 or so since it has alot more miles, and one mod.

The car was tested by 3 magazines, I had them listed by issue and saved. 14.2 was the times of 2 I can remmeber, but I do remember all 3 trapped at 100 mph.
Old 03-18-2004, 02:54 PM
EZZ
Burning Brakes

Also, Most of the sedans run low 14s. The autos run 14.6s. BTW, I ran 14.3 at 97.5 mph with 2.1 60ft, and only 1400 miles. I bogged badly and just wasn't use to the car. It was bone stock. The car can now run at least a 13.9 or so since it has alot more miles, and one mod.

The car was tested by 3 magazines, I had them listed by issue and saved. 14.2 was the times of 2 I can remmeber, but I do remember all 3 trapped at 100 mph.
Sorry but that is still slower than the G-coupe. Most coupes run 14.1 with an average driver and 13.9 to 14.0 with good drivers. You admit it yourself that the sedan can only run 13.9 with a mod And yes, the sedan is 50 lbs lighter but 20 hp shyer.
Old 03-18-2004, 03:44 PM
Race Director

Originally posted by EZZ
Sorry but that is still slower than the G-coupe. Most coupes run 14.1 with an average driver and 13.9 to 14.0 with good drivers.
gotta raise the flag in that there statement because this isn't what i've been seeing MOST people do at the track.
Old 03-18-2004, 03:57 PM
Banned

Originally posted by EZZ
Sorry but that is still slower than the G-coupe. Most coupes run 14.1 with an average driver and 13.9 to 14.0 with good drivers. You admit it yourself that the sedan can only run 13.9 with a mod And yes, the sedan is 50 lbs lighter but 20 hp shyer.
It's driver. And tell you what, I see other guys running faster than me and they were stock. lol so the coupe is not faster. This has been proven MANY times on the G forums.
Old 03-18-2004, 03:58 PM
Banned

Originally posted by zeroday
gotta raise the flag in that there statement because this isn't what i've been seeing MOST people do at the track.
I agree.
Old 03-18-2004, 04:19 PM
EZZ
Burning Brakes

Okay, maybe I exaggeratted Besides just poking fun at SilverBullet, most times I have seen on G35Driver.com and Freshalloy have the coupe times 0.2-0.3 seconds faster. I've seen several slips that are 14.2 with AUTO and stock and yet to see that on the sedan. Most Coupe owners have seen around 230-235hp on the dyno stock and most sedan owners are in the 220-227 range (more variance than coupe, not 20hp but it is adjusted at the wheels). One guy even got 13.9 stock (I think on FA). I honestly think the coupe is exactly like the 350Z and the sedan DOES have a more restrictive exhaust layout.
Old 03-18-2004, 04:19 PM
Administrator Alumnus

Received 131 Likes on 82 Posts
Old 03-18-2004, 04:30 PM
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
So what times have you been seeing at the track?
Old 03-18-2004, 04:34 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 719 Likes on 201 Posts
this is the worst thread ever.
Old 03-18-2004, 04:52 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 388 Likes on 196 Posts
all the z/g threads suck.
Old 03-18-2004, 06:49 PM
Unregistered Member

When you find the issues, let me know... I thought I had read every single G35 (coupe and sedan) road test that has ever been published (by a majory magazine), but apparently, I missed one.

Anyway, let me know.
Old 03-18-2004, 06:52 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Old 03-18-2004, 06:53 PM
Unregistered Member

I'll agree that the sedan is NEARLY as quick as the coupe, from everything I've seen or read so far...

But if you like to magazine race, just check out g35driver forums and look up a post from "boones" about compliling all of the performance results of both the sedan and coupe.

The average times of the 6mt coupe were better than the 6mt sedan. So I'd say the coupe is quicker, but not by a large margin.
Old 03-18-2004, 06:56 PM
Administrator Alumnus

Received 131 Likes on 82 Posts
There is waaaaaaaaaay to much e-penis in this thread.

Old 03-18-2004, 06:59 PM
Unregistered Member

He said "e-penis" Hahahahaha
Old 03-18-2004, 07:14 PM
Unregistered Member

Jrock,

Sorry, but I just don't agree with your doom and gloom outlook on the auto industry.

Like I said before- there are plenty of cars out now that are priced lower than their older counterparts. And the 350Z is a perfect example.

That alone makes the "sheep" think it's a screaming bargain, huh?

I'd love to know who all of these people are that you're talking about..... you know, the ones who buy so far beyond their means and end up screwed. I certainly don't know anyone in that situation.

In the meantime, I'll keep buying new cars, even if they might be considered overpriced to other people.
Old 03-18-2004, 07:22 PM
Race Director

Jrock,

Sorry, but I just don't agree with your doom and gloom outlook on the auto industry.

Like I said before- there are plenty of cars out now that are priced lower than their older counterparts. And the 350Z is a perfect example.

That alone makes the "sheep" think it's a screaming bargain, huh?

I'd love to know who all of these people are that you're talking about..... you know, the ones who buy so far beyond their means and end up screwed. I certainly don't know anyone in that situation.

In the meantime, I'll keep buying new cars, even if they might be considered overpriced to other people.
guess you're out of retirement?
Old 03-18-2004, 07:23 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 638 Likes on 276 Posts

isnt he the same guy who had a maxima before owning the CLS and talked shit about acura/honda on the maxima forums?

I do beileve so.
Old 03-18-2004, 07:24 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
I don't get it. If you want a 2 seater, buy the Z, if you need a 4dr sedan, buy the G35, if you need a coupe....

WTF is this so difficult

Quick Reply: G35c vs. 350z Which is the king