G35c vs. 350z Which is the king

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2004, 09:26 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Ant7701
I have driven both plenty of times and I'm not trying to start an arguement here but IMO I don't feel comfortable in the Z period. It's not the seats or lack of luxo items or anything...I just don't feel comfortable in it. The speedo and guage cluster is microscopic. The dash pocket (no navi) is 100% garbadge that tilts to either side when tryin to close and gets jammed. And for a two seater it's just not my cup of tea. And I didn't say the g is everything the z is and more...READ AGAIN...I said "the G35 you can have just about every acpect of a z give or take a little hear and there but be comfortable and shit. GIVE OR TAKE A LITTLE HEAR AND THERE.
Glad you like the G35c... I'll enjoy my Z...
Old 03-16-2004, 09:27 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by El_accordo
who or what is a "torquie"?
Torquie!
Old 03-16-2004, 09:37 PM
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Comparing the Z to the G35C is not a valid comparison - compare apples to apples.

The Z is a 2-seater dedicated fast-back while the G35C is a 4-seater luxury coupe (you can argue about the luxury...)

Anyways... both cars look very sexy and they are adequately powered for stock. If you arn't going to mod a lot... wait for a 2-door version of the new TL (if it ever happens!).

Make up your mind if you want a 2-seater or 4-seater - that's the first step!
Old 03-16-2004, 09:53 PM
TQ > MPG

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I actually think both are pretty badass, but I would say get whichever design you like better. They have the same amount of hp, same suspension, and similar build quality. The G35 definitely has a better service department but supposedly Nissan dealerships have been taking good strides lately.

If they are essentially the same amount of money I say go G35 any day of the week. IMO it looks a little less "mid-life crisis" than the 350Z and def has a much nicer interior.
Old 03-16-2004, 10:20 PM
2ManyMiles

Originally posted by jtkz13
If they are essentially the same amount of money I say go G35 any day of the week. IMO it looks a little less "mid-life crisis" than the 350Z and def has a much nicer interior.

For me, the 350Z does have a Mustang GT quality to it. YMMV.
Old 03-16-2004, 10:26 PM

Comparing the Z to the G35C is not a valid comparison - compare apples to apples.
I disagree, especially since the G35 is based on the 350Z. They attract similar buyers with similar values in a car. Many magazines called the G35c the "350Z 2+2" (like the last gen).
Old 03-16-2004, 10:28 PM
2ManyMiles

I have heard that the 350Z isn't based on the G35 platform, despite the similarities.
Old 03-16-2004, 10:35 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by DeezNutz
I have heard that the 350Z isn't based on the G35 platform, despite the similarities.
You are wrong. The G35/G35c/Z/FX 45/35 all share the same chasis (FM)
Old 03-16-2004, 10:37 PM
TQ > MPG

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally posted by DeezNutz

For me, the 350Z does have a Mustang GT quality to it. YMMV.
It does, except it doesnt have a backseat. The 350Z vert is pretty ugly with the top up too, so the availability of the vert in the Z isnt really an advantage.

I think most people on here say G35 because obviously if you bought a CL-S you favor luxury & style over balls out handling & flashy looks. Either car would be a very nice weekend cruiser, but in the end it's what you want. You cant really go wrong with either.
Old 03-16-2004, 11:38 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,273 Likes on 3,050 Posts
350Z --- lower driving position (feels faster), Handles SLIGHTLY better than G35C, less weight, SLightly faster. but plastic interior, rough ride (my ass hurts after 1 hr of driving Z), so basically a TRUE sports car.

G35C --- feels more HIGH CLASS , unbeatable Customer service( DONT EVEN WANNA COMPARE ACURA AND INFINITI SERVICES), LOOKS better IMO, brembo and many features are standard on 6spd, [IMG]pack more chicks in[/IMG] , Z is faster but it all depends on driver, soild suspension, not as boucy as Z.

i would choose um...Z if they redo the interior ( main reason i chose G over Z).

i think G and Z are use different platforms... i could be wrong but i think 350Z is using the old Z platform while G and FX share the same platform.
Old 03-16-2004, 11:48 PM
Safety Car

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally posted by JRock
wtf kind of logic is that?!

Oh hay guys, C5 corvette vs SRT-4, but cost isn't an issue because both are below $50k.

:w-hat:
wtf are you talking about? a loaded z and a loaded g cost about the same...one isnt twice the price of the other

i was saying cost isnt the issue cause i wouldn't get a basic version of either
Old 03-16-2004, 11:52 PM

i think G and Z are use different platforms... i could be wrong but i think 350Z is using the old Z platform while G and FX share the same platform.
Cusdaddy and I have spoken. Bow the fuck down They share the same platform.

I think both cars are fucking hot and Nissan after a decade of being the hell asleep is really doing their thing now.

And I still won't buy one.
Old 03-16-2004, 11:52 PM
Safety Car

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
hehe mid-life crisis feel eh?

i think the comparison between the g and z are valid...i dont especially care for the back seat, but the z isnt exactly a g without the back, which is why i am asking opinions

i think i found a 0-60 time of about 5.6 for the z, and 5.8 for the g, and about the same difference in quarter-mile times, and i guess for the added luxary and comfort its an ok tradeoff

service is an issue, at least for me--i hate getting dicked arround at a dealership. we have a nissan altima, and the service has been ok, but not luxary standards, and if im spending that much on a sports car (though it is cheap comparitively), id like the better service and warranty

thx for the opinions guys, i appreciate it
Old 03-16-2004, 11:57 PM

Dealer service does do a lot. Infiniti is on par with Lexus, which means awesome. I know I could not imagine going back to a dealer unlike Lexus. Especially if the car is more prone to be in the shop.

What R your priorities?
Old 03-17-2004, 06:12 AM
Old timer

Oh and aside from the interior, I also can't stand the dopey headlights on the G either.

Originally posted by bkknight369
wtf are you talking about? a loaded z and a loaded g cost about the same...one isnt twice the price of the other

i was saying cost isnt the issue cause i wouldn't get a basic version of either
Problem is they're both over-priced, especially the G35Coupe. Saying it's okay because they're both under $40k is silly because you are insinuating that you'd pay up to $40k for either of them. Hell no!! G35Coupe should max out at the same price the 2003 CL TypeS 6spd did. Definitely no more. It's a 2-wheel drivetrain, more hp, less interior quality. Total balance of cost there. Instead it's jacked up to around $36 or 38k depending on with or without navi. Fuck that.
That was my point in saying "oh it's okay they're both less than $50k" regarding a Vette ($40k car) and SRT-4 ($20k car) - it makes no sense to say that either because neither one is worth $50k, just like neither the 350Z nor the G35C are worth $40k!
Old 03-17-2004, 07:17 AM
Banned

What doesn't make sense is the Sedan is lower than the Coupe and its just as fast because of the lighter weight.

Originally posted by zeroday
g35c's look a lil overweight to me and they ride higher...roofline is higher...z looks better especially when modded. this poll has been done before here btw. most of these idiots like the g35c

if you want a faster rear wheel drive cl get the g.
Old 03-17-2004, 07:21 AM
Banned

Originally posted by bkknight369
hehe mid-life crisis feel eh?

i think the comparison between the g and z are valid...i dont especially care for the back seat, but the z isnt exactly a g without the back, which is why i am asking opinions

i think i found a 0-60 time of about 5.6 for the z, and 5.8 for the g, and about the same difference in quarter-mile times, and i guess for the added luxary and comfort its an ok tradeoff

service is an issue, at least for me--i hate getting dicked arround at a dealership. we have a nissan altima, and the service has been ok, but not luxary standards, and if im spending that much on a sports car (though it is cheap comparitively), id like the better service and warranty

thx for the opinions guys, i appreciate it
5.6 0-60 for the sedan G35. 14.2 at 100 mph also was the 1/4. Several magazines in the past got that.
Old 03-17-2004, 07:34 AM
Administrator Alumnus

Received 131 Likes on 82 Posts
Oh and aside from the interior, I also can't stand the dopey headlights on the G either.

Problem is they're both over-priced, especially the G35Coupe. Saying it's okay because they're both under $40k is silly because you are insinuating that you'd pay up to $40k for either of them. Hell no!! G35Coupe should max out at the same price the 2003 CL TypeS 6spd did. Definitely no more. It's a 2-wheel drivetrain, more hp, less interior quality. Total balance of cost there. Instead it's jacked up to around $36 or 38k depending on with or without navi. Fuck that.
How do you figure?

35K for a 6mt G-coupe is priced right, IMHO (That's what I paid). Look at the competition. There's the RX-8 , the 330Ci $$$$$$$ and um... what else. It's a fast, good looking coupe. Is the GTO overpriced too??? Because you get a fast car with much less luxury... Haven't heard too many people complain about that car's price...

And the interior quality? Please. Everything fits perfectly inside my car. There are no gaps, no rattles. So the dash is made of buttons instead of knobs. If you even think the quality of the CLS is better, you're mistakin'. Layout is certainly subjective and you're entitled to your opinion on that, but Infiniti has Acura beat on quality, sorry. I wasn't keen on the interior look at first, but you warm up to it. Especially when the cabin is as quiet as a mouse.
Old 03-17-2004, 07:51 AM
Old timer

Originally posted by Scrib
How do you figure?
Most of the cars you listed are already over-priced, so instead of reasonably pricing a new car, the new cars come out equally overpriced? No I don't think that makes sense and I certainly won't buy into that. I'll either become a used car buyer and avoid the bullshit premium prices (and enjoy picking one up after a significant depreciation after a year or two) or I'll buy a car I think is actually worth the asking price (which seems to be becoming fewer and fewer cars).

Sorry but the inflation rate in auto industry pricing far exceeds the rise in income for most buyers. Eventually more and more cars are going to start pricing themselves out of reach. Many already have but many people are stupid and go for things like 60, 63, and 72 month loans on a car just to afford it. They're REALLY going to get whacked when they finally brighten up and realize how far upside-down they are in a few years when they want to trade in the car but owe significant amounts of money beyond the value of the car. This already happens with regular (and increasing) occurance at dealerships every day.

There are articles quite often now in auto industry magazines about how dealers are getting worried about when all these long-term car loans are going to come back and bite them in the ass... they're basically giving people ways to afford cars outside of their means (really the cars aren't - the cars are the right cars, but the prices are ridiculously inflated but people need the car and have to find a way to afford it) and they keep approving longer and longer term loans with more and more revolving debt from previous cars the owners want out of after 2-4 years but have 5+ year loans on.

Just sit back and watch what happens. It's all going to come to a head within the next few years.

This is why I'm only going to buy a car I can afford without a monthly payment. I could probably manage a G35Coupe, but I don't find it worth the money I'd spend on it. Definitely not worth my using every last cent of my car budget to get one. I'd rather get a year-old 350Z for $27k (or less) and save almost $10k over the price of a new G35Coupe and put that $10k into something more enjoyable like turbo'ing the Z. Except I don't really like the Z much so I probably wouldn't buy one of those either. =)

I laughed when I heard AHFC approved (I forget if it was) a 60 or 72 month loan on a TSX navi for about $34,000 (which obviously included about $6k of revolving debt from the customer's trade in). Finance companies just keep stretching and stretching out the debt and that cannot go on indefinitely and certainly not much longer considering they're already at 5-6 years on cars that have a turnover rate around 3-4 years.

Your justification of pricing by looking at competitors' prices as an excuse to pay too much for a given car just shows you are falling in line to accept over-priced cars like many other buyers today. Hopefully you won't be one of the many that will be buried in debt over the next few years that will likely bring the auto industry to the brink of collapse when less and less people can afford (aka can get approved for a loan) to get into a new car.
Old 03-17-2004, 07:57 AM
Suzuka Master

My Z was $28k.... Far from overpriced
Old 03-17-2004, 07:59 AM
Administrator Alumnus

Very well written response.

That doesn't mean I have to agree...

However, I will say that car prices have gone through the roof. But there's nothing I can do about it. I don't want to buy used. I want a car that I drove off the lot with less than 7 miles on it. A full warranty. Something that is mine from the start.

And as for loan terms. I don't have one. I own the car outright. While I would agree 72 and 84 month loans are insane, it's something that I'll never get involved with.

People need to become more educated. It's clearly obvious. But you nor I can do anything about these "inflated" car prices. But I'm in a position where I'm going to be just fine when the bubble bursts. Hopefully others will too...
Old 03-17-2004, 08:06 AM
Someday pigs WILL fly!

G35C over Z because of "utility" of back seat, no one has mentioned insurance.....2 seat cars are more expensive than 4 seaters. The perfect car would be the G front end and 350Z back end. Infiniti service versus Nissan non-service (Not all but in general). Both interiors are not up to snuff for the money but it's okay. Same engine but tuned differently. Both have potential. Just my
Old 03-17-2004, 08:07 AM
Old timer

Originally posted by Scrib
Very well written response.

That doesn't mean I have to agree...

However, I will say that car prices have gone through the roof. But there's nothing I can do about it. I don't want to buy used. I want a car that I drove off the lot with less than 7 miles on it. A full warranty. Something that is mine from the start.
I was 100% that way too, until I worked in the auto industry and realize it really isn't worth the wasted money. You can usually find a 1-2 year old car that was well-cared-for by the owner and is in great condition, with low miles and thus still under the factory warranty, so why throw away additional money for a new one?

Six months ago I would have scoffed at that notion, but not today. That doesn't mean I won't buy a new car, but with less seeming worth their value it is becoming less likely, especially since I desire a level of performance not found in many sub-$35k new cars.

cusdaddy: (Assuming that's the Enthusiast level Z, '03, 6spd)
And if you decided to trade her in today, she'd get appraised for about $20k-$21k and resold for around $25k (probably negotiated to $23-24k by the buyer). What's your point?
Btw, I don't in general find the Z to be too over-priced, except for the Track model.
Old 03-17-2004, 08:09 AM
Administrator Alumnus

I was 100% that way too, until I worked in the auto industry and realize it really isn't worth the wasted money. You can usually find a 1-2 year old car that was well-cared-for by the owner and is in great condition, with low miles and thus still under the factory warranty, so why spend a lot of additional money for a new one?

Six months ago I would have scoffed at that notion, but not today. That doesn't mean I won't buy a new car, but with less seeming worth their value it is becoming less likely, especially since I desire a level of performance not found in many sub-$35k new cars.
Ok cool. I'm with ya' now. And I see you point.

Who knows... I've got a house on the way which will change cash flow. Kid(s) are probably coming too... So unless my wife and I really start making the coin, I'm not going to be able to afford the 40K cars... So a nice used on will certainly be on my list.
Old 03-17-2004, 08:12 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by gto2050
G35C over Z because of "utility" of back seat, no one has mentioned insurance.....2 seat cars are more expensive than 4 seaters. The perfect car would be the G front end and 350Z back end. Infiniti service versus Nissan non-service (Not all but in general). Both interiors are not up to snuff for the money but it's okay. Same engine but tuned differently. Both have potential. Just my
My Z is actually LESS to insure than both the G35c and CLS. I know it's very strange, but I priced all 3 out before I got my Z, and the Z was the least (although only slightly less).

In regards to Nissan service, my service has been outstanding. I know my dealer may not be the norm, but they have treated me wonderfully. They offer loaner cars, they call every 2 months to check up on my car and to see if there is anything I need. My dealer got the Platinum award for service, so it may not be the norm, but I've been very satisfied in this regard.
Old 03-17-2004, 08:16 AM
Someday pigs WILL fly!

Cars are more expensive, you are right but they are absolutely brimming with technology as to what was available 10 years ago. And..... as always, unless it's destined to become a classic (which probably none of todays cars qualify, other than an Enzo) it's a lose lose proposition.
Old 03-17-2004, 08:19 AM
Someday pigs WILL fly!

Originally posted by cusdaddy
My Z is actually LESS to insure than both the G35c and CLS. I know it's very strange, but I priced all 3 out before I got my Z, and the Z was the least (although only slightly less).

In regards to Nissan service, my service has been outstanding. I know my dealer may not be the norm, but they have treated me wonderfully. They offer loaner cars, they call every 2 months to check up on my car and to see if there is anything I need. My dealer got the Platinum award for service, so it may not be the norm, but I've been very satisfied in this regard.
The insurance is not the same here in good ol' Joisey. You bringem, we rapem. Most Nissan dealers are not as good as the one you go to. However, when I had my 98 Max, it came from a dealership in Morristown who was fantastic. They also own a Lexus and Infiniti dealership.
Old 03-17-2004, 08:21 AM
Masshole

I love my G!!!
Old 03-17-2004, 08:45 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,667 Likes on 931 Posts
Originally posted by cusdaddy

My Nissan dealer pretty much has a 'F#@K good service' (and CSI) mentality. ***ACME NISSAN, Monmouth Jct., NJ*** Ironically, the guys in sales are pretty cool and VERY willing to give a good deal.
Old 03-17-2004, 08:48 AM
Race Director

Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts
i have a few surpises coming for my z this year that might change the way some of you Z haters feel about it

(no it's not a new interior :sqntfawk: )
Old 03-17-2004, 09:37 AM
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If it came down between the 2 i'd take the G35c. Better dealer network and more luxury > less luxury.
Old 03-17-2004, 10:10 AM
Lots of JDM parts on my

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The only thing I miss is the back seat. I LOVE this car though!!! I got to ride in a G35C and the ride quality wasn't THAT much better. (IMO) If you have either one, I think you will be happy. I am NOT impressed with Nissan's service to this point. Pretty bad.

Car for car, I love my Z and wouldn't trade it for a G35C.
Old 03-17-2004, 10:22 AM
RIP Red-CL

i'd rather have the 350z but in canada track pack has no navi so that sux.
Old 03-17-2004, 11:07 AM
Team Owner

Eventually more and more cars are going to start pricing themselves out of reach. Many already have but many people are stupid and go for things like 60, 63, and 72 month loans on a car just to afford it. They're REALLY going to get whacked when they finally brighten up and realize how far upside-down they are in a few years when they want to trade in the car but owe significant amounts of money beyond the value of the car. This already happens with regular (and increasing) occurance at dealerships every day.
There was a HUMMER dealer in my area that was advertising a ZERO down EIGHT YEAR financing deal on the H2.
Old 03-17-2004, 11:30 AM
Race Director

Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by Shawn S
There was a HUMMER dealer in my area that was advertising a ZERO down EIGHT YEAR financing deal on the H2.
does that come with the gold package though?
Old 03-17-2004, 11:32 AM
Someday pigs WILL fly!

2 Gold FRONT TEEF! a la Tyson!
Old 03-17-2004, 11:39 AM
Happy CL-S Pilot

I just checked out the G35C.. man, there is no room in the back seat. the headroom is for kids not adults. Also, there is no memory seats function, but you can have it on the maxima and G35 sedan, Why? also, the areo kit is 1,100. Is it worth it?
the trunk is tiny, but the rear seats' bak fold down.

I wished they have it with 6-speed and the new AWD system from skyline...

Impressive, sticker is around $39k.
More moeny than what I would like to spend low $30sK
Old 03-17-2004, 11:41 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Nashua_Night_Hawk
I just checked out the G35C.. man, there is no room in the back seat. the headroom is for kids not adults. Also, there is no memory seats function, but you can have it on the maxima and G35 sedan, Why? also, the areo kit is 1,100. Is it worth it?
the trunk is tiny, but the rear seats' bak fold down.

I wished they have it with 6-speed and the new AWD system from skyline...

Impressive, sticker is around $39k.
More moeny than what I would like to spend low $30sK
It's a sports car, not suppose to have room or all the goodies. It's not a mid life crisis ACURA CL was. (I don't want to mean or anything, but the CL was for older people and it seemed to have the room for adults. The G35 is more for younger people who don't need the space that much).
Old 03-17-2004, 11:45 AM
Administrator Alumnus

Old 03-17-2004, 11:51 AM
Happy CL-S Pilot

Something impressive the inifinity warrenty. It is 4 yrs/60 kmiles bumper to bumper and 6years/ 70k miles powertrain. That is impressive!

Quick Reply: G35c vs. 350z Which is the king