First drive impressions of the 2001 M3

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2001, 04:26 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First drive impressions of the 2001 M3

Went about an hour and a half out of town to just test drive the M3. All I have to say is =D. If you think it looks awesome in pictures, well it's even better in person. The one I test drove was the LSB, the smurf blue. That color actually looks really good in person, it's a darker shade than in pictures and seems to be a little darker than the convertible M3 they had at the auto shows. The thing is a monster! Hard to imagine but I feel like the handling is even better than the E36 M3. For a car with 18's, the ride comfort was not bad. This is a true sports car... meaning you hear the road noises and feel the bumps. It's not like the 540i (great car by the way) I rode in to the dealership. The stick had really short throws, very easy to miss the 3rd. Backseats has better legroom than E36 M3.

The best part was the sound from the exhaust. It has almost like a trumpet sound. My friend who has driven Ferraris before said the sound reminded him of them.

Old 04-08-2001, 05:20 AM
3rd Gear

What are they asking for the new m3's now. I heard they are still like $15K over msrp. I thought with the new m3 out the older m3 would drop in price since all the owners would want the new one but it steams like they have gone up in price. I guess their is no such thing as bad publicity
Old 04-08-2001, 12:01 PM
Community Architect
robb m.

Received 644 Likes on 285 Posts
sweet buddha...I wish I could get that opportunity sometime

------------------
Astroboy out...
2001 Acura CL Type S: Comptech: Headers, filter, sways, springs, koni shocks, Volk Racing SE37's in 18", goodridge braided brake lines, AEM CAI (blue), APEXi V-AFC, full kicker system, 13" Brembo's on the way with slotted discs for the rear
1996 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo: H&R Springs and sways, Bilstein shocks, ported and polished, crillo rods, new valvetrain
1995 VW Golf: 1999 VR6 Swap, H&R Coil Overs, neuspeed strut bars, neuspeed sway bars, 2.5" Stainless TT exhaust w/ Borla, 13" AP Racing big brakes
Old 04-08-2001, 12:08 PM
watch the weather change

Location: Houston, TX - Uhhh, now what y'all know bout them Texas boys, Comin down in candied toys, smokin wee
a friend of mine told me that his friend paid 5K over invoice for his, George Foreman was trying to buy that same car and was willing to pay 10K over invoice for that car, but he didn't get it because that guy was the first on the waiting list, which he had been on since 99, but he did get the number 2 spot and ended up paying 10K over invoice for that car... way toooooo much if you ask me...

------------------
2001 CL Type S w/ navi and factory spoiler
cltypes.com - soon...
Old 04-08-2001, 03:35 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 72 Likes on 38 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by got vtec?:
a friend of mine told me that his friend paid 5K over invoice for his, George Foreman was trying to buy that same car and was willing to pay 10K over invoice for that car, but he didn't get it because that guy was the first on the waiting list, which he had been on since 99, but he did get the number 2 spot and ended up paying 10K over invoice for that car... way toooooo much if you ask me...

</font>
Think how much money Foreman has doing those ugly ass muffler commercials

------------------
Alex
Old 04-08-2001, 03:41 PM
Powered By HONDA

i always wish that i can have a m3...this gen or last gen are ok...but too expensive to own them..they are really good cars..fast and good handling...brakind and engine....really cool cars...attractive everywhere haha

------------------
2001 Acura Red CL Type S.
1997 Honda Civic EX.
!!!! VTEC Power !!!!
Powered by HONDA
Powered by MUGEN

typescl@yahoo.com
Old 04-08-2001, 08:49 PM
Unregistered Member

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by got vtec?:
a friend of mine told me that his friend paid 5K over invoice for his, George Foreman was trying to buy that same car and was willing to pay 10K over invoice for that car, </font>
LOL, imagine George Foreman trying to fit his big ass into an M3. Never happen.

------------------
dead CL-S and M3
Old 04-08-2001, 08:58 PM
Unregistered Member

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts
Buddha,

I have also driven the E46 M3 and was only semi-impressed.

Yes, the car is very good looking, no doubt about it. I love the big wheels. And the interior is light years ahead of the E36 M3.

Here's what I don't like:

The new M3 does not have the LOW end torque of my 99 M3. Of course it does make some really good power, but you've gotta wind out the new M3 to find it. This totally changes the feel of the car. Having low end torque right off idle is one of my favorite characteristics of my M3.

The new M3 has a very different steering feel than my 99 M3. Feels like they dialed in a little more assist. I've heard owners of non-M3 E46 BMW's complain about the steering also. Even though the steering is lighter, it should not be something that I could get used to quickly.

Here's my biggest disappointment-- I don't think the new M3 handles as well as the E36 M3. While the new car doesn't lean any more around turns than the older version, it doesn't feel as "tossable" either. Maybe this is because of the fact that the new M3 is quite a bit heavier than the old M3. I don't know. I'm sure BMW will make minor changes over the next few model years to change this problem.

Overall, I really like the new M3, but now I'm second guessing myself about getting a new one. I might just decide to wait a year or two now.........

------------------
dead CL-S and M3
Old 04-08-2001, 10:16 PM
Intermediate

I also recently test drove a new M3. I've had a deposit down on one for over a year (#10 at a local dealer). Overall, I was somewhat underwhelmed.

Sure, the power was great, though mostly at above 4000 rpm (it didn't "feel" like a 4.7 0-60 car, but I'm sure it is). The sound was also inspiring, and the handling was great.

What disappointed me was the build quality. No offense to any BMW fans, but the new M3 just isn't built as well as older BMW's. I've owned 93 cars in my life, and have taken many apart and restored them, so I look at the details of how a car is put together. The M3 just had signs of cost-cutting all over - it is clearly built to a price standard, and not a quality one. Cheap interior plastics, weatherstripping, and carpets; somewhat numb shifter; non-linear clutch. IMHO, it just does not feel like a $55k car to me. Comparing it side-by-side to a regular 330 Ci, it was clear that the two cars share a lot more parts than most people realize. After I got out of it and back into my 2001 CL Type S, it was overwhelmingly clear that the Acura is better built, and more comfortable (not to mention $25k cheaper).

If you want only one car that has to do everything - be fast, sound good, but also compromise and have a back seat, trunk, and be a (reasonably) practical daily driver, then the M3 should do it. I'm lucky enough to be able to also have a '93 Porsche 911 as a fun car. So, I think I'm going to cancel my order for the M3 - to me, there's just no way it's worth $25,000 more than my CL-S. But, to each their own.

------------------
Nick L
'01 CL Type S Red/Tan
'93 Porche 911 (mid-life crisis car)
'99 Mazda Miata (everyone needs a convertible)
Old 04-09-2001, 12:54 AM
Racer

This is my first time postin...hows every1 doin. Im 15 and from Nj.My dad has a base Cl-S San Marino Red..love the car..but his Regal Gs was better. Anyway i wana talk about BMW. We test drove a 330i and i must say it felt like shit. Seats were bad..interior was cheap..the exhaust sound was weak.. and it went slow. I have a big doubt that that car is as fast as they say.
Old 04-09-2001, 01:37 AM
Intermediate

Hey WRXkid...

what in particular is so much better on the Regal GS (I wanna get a 15 year old's perspective ... hehehe). I have this feeling your dad and you test drove an auto 330i -- I could be wrong, and please lemme know if I am. Those cars are pretty quick in manual.

------------------
2002 TL Type S
White Diamond Pearl
No Mods
Old 04-09-2001, 03:47 AM
Instructor

I do agree that there were some components of the E46 M3 that felt cheap and shouldn't be used off the E46's. Things such as the black trim pieces and the cheap looking and feeling front air damn grate. And it does seem to have less low end torque than the E36 M3, but I'm thinking that might be due to it being more refined. Also I would think that since the engine winds so quickly, it more than makes up for it.

If you are on fortunate enough to be on the list, the BMW dealership should be only charging you msrp. For a fully loaded one, it's around 53K (that includes the whopping 1K gas guzzler tax). Go to www.bmwusa.com and you can build your own. The salesman told me that he believes demand will tail off and come back to normal after the first six months. That is considering that a lot of the same people are on several different waiting lists. I was told that if I wanted, i could give him a check for $500 (wouldn't be cashed) and I could get on the list. This means that whoever decides to not want it when it's their turn, then he'll go down the list I'm on. Also factor in the slowing economy. He also told me that production will be a lot more than in the M5 case.
The one that I test drove actually will be delivered to this eye surgeon that bought it but agreed to let them let people test drive. It had 75 miles on the odometer already and will be delivered on Tuesday. Apparently this same doc got the first X5 in the US.

Overall, I think that alot of people have this unrealistic built up of what they thought the E46 M3 is like. But consider the performance (0-60 4.8 and great handling) and also it is very distinguishable from the E46 that if you have the money it is well worth it. Think about what cars are in this category price and performance wise. And I'm sure that second production and third production runs will give attention to what people are cimplaining about. ALthough it doesn't help that I heard that the E46's will soon have the option of sports seats like the M3.
Old 04-09-2001, 04:39 AM
Intermediate

I was #27 on the waiting list for the M3 until I found out I would have one until september at the earliest and it would cost $3,400 over sticker. I mean beemers are sweet and all but I wasn't about to wait another 4 or 5 months for a car I've been waiting for since Feb 2000. So... they graciously gave me back my deposit(I heard the waiting list is over 100 now!).
Old 04-09-2001, 11:14 AM
Three Wheelin'

I can't imagine George Forman fitting into an M3.... Ain't gonna happen

------------------
2001 Silver 3.2CLS
-Muds, Spoiler, Hardwire 8500, Prolarg M-6 lamps
Planning: Comptech Headers, Sways, CAI
Old 04-09-2001, 01:06 PM
watch the weather change

Location: Houston, TX - Uhhh, now what y'all know bout them Texas boys, Comin down in candied toys, smokin wee
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by tel1sps:
I can't imagine George Forman fitting into an M3.... Ain't gonna happen

</font>
hey i just tell it as i hear it, but i would like to see his ass in there ... i once saw a rockets player, think it was hakeem but really couldn't tell, in an accord coupe, looked like he was sitting in the back seat, that shit was funny, btw he wasn't driving...and i knew he was a rocket because they used to come to our high school and use our track...

------------------
2001 CL Type S w/ navi and factory spoiler
cltypes.com - soon...
Old 04-09-2001, 01:29 PM
Instructor

[quote]<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Tom2:
I've heard owners of non-M3 E46 BMW's complain about the steering also. Even though the steering is lighter, it should not be something that I could get used to quickly./[quote]

Supposedly 'fixed' from January production onward.

Here's my biggest disappointment-- I don't think the new M3 handles as well as the E36 M3. While the new car doesn't lean any more around turns than the older version, it doesn't feel as "tossable" either. Maybe this is because of the fact that the new M3 is quite a bit heavier than the old M3. I don't know.

</font>
Actually, it's really isn't that much heavier. Most of the reviewers seem to attribute this to the M differential. It does it's job of maintaining rear wheel traction so well, that it's basically impossible to break the back end loose. Basically, you get understeer and lots of it - no matter how you like your handling!

I would like to drive one someday. Gave up my pathetic spot on the list a LONG time ago though and am very happy with my substitute!

------------------
when you're ready to succeed!
Old 04-09-2001, 06:28 PM
Intermediate

I have driven both the the new M3 and a 99 M3 and I gotta say that the older one is just more fun. I drove them back to back and I just loved driving the 99, it felt like I was part of the car, a true drivers car, whereas I didnt feel the same fun factor in the new one. I also think the older one looks better. It just has that classic M3 look to it. Anyways if it was me I would save my money and get a 99M3 and put an AA turbo in it, and some other mods and it would kick the hell out of the new M3 and still have that fun factor
AC

------------------
2001 CL Type S {any day now}
1994 Legend LS Coupe
1990 Accord
Old 04-26-2001, 12:09 AM
Intermediate

My M3 should be here in August....Yahoo
Paid MSRP Dude if you think the old M3 is better looking then the new one you better check for glaucoma!!! For the record BMW is only importing 3000 a year so they remain in limited supply. Great for us who have them, not so good for those waiting. I personally like this so I won't see them all over the place like Cheesevettes. It will also help keep all the Rico Suavees' from pulling up in the same car as me.

------------------
93 RX7 R1 don't feel like listing all mods
98 5.9 limited Grand Cherokee K&N gen 2 FIPK
2001 CL-S (w/nav) girlfriends but its as good as mine