F30 Limp mode

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2013, 01:05 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,273 Likes on 3,050 Posts
F30 Limp mode

So you would think BMW would have figured out a way to build FI cars after all the E90/92 fuel pumps issues.

Nope.

http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=786475

I got my first limp mode 2 days ago.

It seems the Fan thinks the car is overheating when it is not.

Many people replaced their fan, relay and DME software and the car just never feels the same again.

Fuking BMW....
Old 05-31-2013, 01:13 PM
Team Owner

Old 05-31-2013, 01:54 PM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

Received 1,651 Likes on 1,116 Posts
Don't buy a BMW.
The following 3 users liked this post by gatrhumpy:
HeartTLs (06-07-2013), MeehowsBRZ (06-07-2013), phee (06-04-2013)
Old 05-31-2013, 01:56 PM

Received 5,885 Likes on 2,900 Posts
Originally Posted by oonowindoo
So you would think BMW would have figured out a way to build FI cars after all the E90/92 fuel pumps issues.

Nope.

http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=786475

I got my first limp mode 2 days ago.

It seems the Fan thinks the car is overheating when it is not.

Many people replaced their fan, relay and DME software and the car just never feels the same again.

Fuking BMW....
1st year of a new model...happens.

Originally Posted by gatrhumpy
Don't buy a BMW.
Oh please.
Old 05-31-2013, 02:20 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Only BMW's have problems...and they ALL have problems
The following users liked this post:
ttribe (05-31-2013)
Old 05-31-2013, 02:21 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts

Nope.
Swap out the words BMW with Honda/Acura and swap out the word FI with Automatic Transmission.

It's all relative.
The following 3 users liked this post by Moog-Type-S:
crazyasiantl (05-31-2013), SuperTrooper169 (05-31-2013), ttribe (05-31-2013)
Old 05-31-2013, 03:03 PM
I

Received 58 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Moog-Type-S
Swap out the words BMW with Honda/Acura and swap out the word FI with Automatic Transmission.

It's all relative.

Also, "limp mode" is not exclusive to turbo BMWs, or BMWs in general. It's a preventive measure not to cause (further) damage to the car. If Acura had installed something like that for the auto transmission, people would be thrilled instead of being downshifted into 3rd gear at highway speeds.
Old 05-31-2013, 03:08 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by ttribe

Oh please.
2012 was the first year.
HeartTLs (06-07-2013)
Old 05-31-2013, 03:09 PM

2012 was the first year.
Sorry, didn't catch the '13 in your sig.
Old 05-31-2013, 03:15 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by FastAcura

Also, "limp mode" is not exclusive to turbo BMWs, or BMWs in general. It's a preventive measure not to cause (further) damage to the car. If Acura had installed something like that for the auto transmission, people would be thrilled instead of being downshifted into 3rd gear at highway speeds.
Don't get me wrong, BMW is still > Acura regardless

This is not going to stop me from buying another BMW like what Acura did to me with the CL.

One guy had only 400 miles when he got his first limp mode and another guy already replaced his AUX fan 5 times within a few thousand miles.

I know BMW is not the most reliable car and but i expect it to last at least 10k miles.
Old 05-31-2013, 03:26 PM
I

That's the way it always works. You never hear from the people who never had any issues. Between all the thousands of F30s purchased, I doubt you will find many who had this experience. Even Toyotas break down.

Don't get me wrong, BMW is still > Acura regardless

This is not going to stop me from buying another BMW like what Acura did to me with the CL.

One guy had only 400 miles when he got his first limp mode and another guy already replaced his AUX fan 5 times within a few thousand miles.

I know BMW is not the most reliable car and but i expect it to last at least 10k miles.
Old 05-31-2013, 03:40 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
Don't get me wrong, BMW is still > Acura regardless ...

Don't feed the trolls :ohnohedidnt:
Old 05-31-2013, 04:03 PM
2024 Honda Civic Type R

Received 1,454 Likes on 923 Posts

Yep, Ford has the feature with the ST.
Old 05-31-2013, 05:23 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 63 Likes on 37 Posts
Try doing a Performance Delivery in South Carolina and getting limp mode on the highway the way home. Happened to one guy on Bimmerfest...
Old 05-31-2013, 05:41 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Mr Marco
Don't feed the trolls :ohnohedidnt:
I am waiting for SSFFFFFETTTTXX
Old 05-31-2013, 05:48 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,568 Likes on 985 Posts

Oh please.
While this is completely true, this is BMW and not The People's Glorious Cars of Motoring ... It really shouldn't be making a mess of something like this at this point should it?
Old 05-31-2013, 05:54 PM
Team Owner

That's the way it always works. You never hear from the people who never had any issues. Between all the thousands of F30s purchased, I doubt you will find many who had this experience. Even Toyotas break down.
Did you read the thread from F30post i posted earlier?

Many have had this experience already.

Not just 1 or 2... So far 50% of the people who replied the poll have experienced this at least once and all of them have Msport.
Old 05-31-2013, 05:58 PM
Team Owner

Called the dealer and i am not expecting much since all everyone is getting from their dealer is...

Limp Mode -> Replace fan -> limp mode again -> replace relay -> limp mode -> replace DME software -> limp mode -> ???

When i told the dealer what happeend, the service adviser said "it's the fan" before i finished my sentence.
Old 05-31-2013, 06:49 PM
I

I did not find a poll in your thread above. I did find this however. While pretty high, it's not close to 50%. Also, take into consideration that most BMW owners don't post in forums, mostly enthusiasts do. If you're having an issue, you're more likely to join a forum and contribute to the subject than if you're not having an issue.

http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=846185

Last edited by FastAcura; 05-31-2013 at 06:53 PM.
Old 05-31-2013, 07:32 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 7,244 Likes on 4,855 Posts
Old 05-31-2013, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by charliemike
While this is completely true, this is BMW and not The People's Glorious Cars of Motoring ... It really shouldn't be making a mess of something like this at this point should it?
Probably not, but don't you think it gets overblown a bit because it's BMW?

I think we all know the "quality" rating processes out there right now are, unfortunately, quite poor (see Ford's dramatic drop because people couldn't figure out how to use Sync, for example), so it's difficult to compare across manufacturers.

Even looking at recall data is problematic, at best. For example, in 2012 two manufacturers accounted for almost half of the total number of new cars recalled. Those two manufacturers? Toyota and Honda (http://www.forbes.com/sites/jimgorze...calls-of-2012/). At first blush, that looks pretty bad, but when you consider the actual volume of vehicles those two companies sell every year is it really that bad? Don't know. No one seems to be studying such a thing.

Should such a trend as is allegedly occurring with F30 335's be happening? One would hope not given the amount of money paid for these cars and the, supposedly, tight quality control systems in place. But, that argument could be applied to just about any mass-producing auto manufacturer. It'd be nice if they all rolled off the line perfect, but the fact is cars are becoming more and more complex and sophisticated every year. When the "system" becomes more complex, the more difficult it is to avoid a big impact from even a small flaw.

Now, the challenge for BMW is to handle this well and, frankly, with the exception of the M5 issue last year, I don't think they've shown a great track record in that respect lately. That's the real disappointing part, IMO.

Last edited by ttribe; 05-31-2013 at 07:54 PM.
Old 05-31-2013, 07:47 PM
Rooting for Acura

Received 1,740 Likes on 800 Posts
I get that there are problems with every car manufacturer, but when you purchase a premium vehicle "big" problems should never happen. This is big, just like the HPFP issue. Paying top dollar for a vehicle and having more problems than most non-premium vehicles just defies logic.

I own a BMW too, so I'm not just talking. I love it but I won't be replacing it with another BMW.
The following 2 users liked this post by knight rider:
Costco (06-04-2013), phee (06-04-2013)
Old 05-31-2013, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by knight rider
I get that there are problems with every car manufacturer, but when you purchase a premium vehicle "big" problems should never happen. This is big, just like the HPFP issue. Paying top dollar for a vehicle and having more problems than most non-premium vehicles just defies logic.

I own a BMW too, so I'm not just talking. I love it but I won't be replacing it with another BMW.
Well, do your homework first then because I'll bet dollars-to-donuts that you'll find plenty of unhappy Audi/Mercedes/Land Rover/Lexus/Jaguar/Porsche/Infiniti, etc. owners out there saying the exact same thing - that their next car won't be made by the same company that made their current one. It's inevitable and the Internet only blows the issues out of proportion.

Last edited by ttribe; 05-31-2013 at 07:57 PM.
cjTL (06-09-2013)
Old 05-31-2013, 08:09 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 638 Likes on 276 Posts

Not really. The more expensive the car, the more equipment there is that can fail.

You think a Toyota corolla is less reliable than a Lexus LS?
Old 05-31-2013, 08:26 PM
Rooting for Acura

Well, do your homework first then because I'll bet dollars-to-donuts that you'll find plenty of unhappy Audi/Mercedes/Land Rover/Lexus/Jaguar/Porsche/Infiniti, etc. owners out there saying the exact same thing - that their next car won't be made by the same company that made their current one. It's inevitable and the Internet only blows the issues out of proportion.
Homework done. I am fully aware of the sensationalism of car manufacturing problems on forums. Out of the manufacturers you listed, I'll take my chances with the Japanese brands. I've only owned Japanese brand vehicles and it wasn't until we got our BMW that I became intimate with the floor plan of a dealership lounge. It is quite nice, but I'd rather visit only for oil changes. I know a number of BMW and Mercedes owners, as well. We all know all too well what it's like to drive a loaner.

My Infiniti has been worry-free, so much so that sometimes I get anxious that I haven't been to the dealership in a while and start checking to make sure I didn't miss a scheduled maintenance.

Not trying to ruffle feathers here, but there is a reason why there is a general understanding the if you own a BMW you should purchase the extended warranty/maintenance plan, or plan to pay a premium for untimely and expensive repairs. It is what it is.
The following 4 users liked this post by knight rider:
Costco (06-04-2013), MeehowsBRZ (06-07-2013), oo7spy (06-02-2013), WILLDOGS (06-05-2013)
Old 05-31-2013, 08:35 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 439 Likes on 322 Posts
I do think it is blown out of proportion sometimes, but there is a certain quality that say lexus has that most german cars don't. Talking about reliability.

I remember reading something a while back that when Porsche acquired someone from toyota to aid in quality and now porsches are supposedly really reliable cars.

Now i'm with you and love bmw. I'm currenly not a fan of probably 99% of japanese cars. I love germans. But while everything is blown out of proportion because of the internet, bmw is still not at a level close to those of the japanese IMO
Old 05-31-2013, 08:36 PM

Homework done. I am fully aware of the sensationalism of car manufacturing problems on forums. Out of the manufacturers you listed, I'll take my chances with the Japanese brands. I've only owned Japanese brand vehicles and it wasn't until we got our BMW that I became intimate with the floor plan of a dealership lounge. It is quite nice, but I'd rather visit only for oil changes. I know a number of BMW and Mercedes owners, as well. We all know all too well what it's like to drive a loaner.

My Infiniti has been worry-free, so much so that sometimes I get anxious that I haven't been to the dealership in a while and start checking to make sure I didn't miss a scheduled maintenance.

Not trying to ruffle feathers here, but there is a reason why there is a general understanding the if you own a BMW you should purchase the extended warranty/maintenance plan, or plan to pay a premium for untimely and expensive repairs. It is what it is.
I get it. But, even just a cursory search on Infiniti shows numerous complaints of "Notorious Transmission Issues" on the G37, a "bubbling dash" problem that required a class-action lawsuit on an FX45, 2013 QX56's completely shutting themselves down for no apparent reason while driving, numerous brake issues, catastrophic electrical system failures, multiple incidents of engine replacement on the same cars, etc.

I loved my 3G TL, but want to venture a guess on the number of power steering racks that car went through? Three. Remember the power steering pump recall? No one's immune. No one.

Last edited by ttribe; 05-31-2013 at 08:46 PM.
Old 05-31-2013, 08:40 PM
Rooting for Acura

Originally Posted by Crazy Acura
Not really. The more expensive the car, the more equipment there is that can fail.

You think a Toyota corolla is less reliable than a Lexus LS?
That might be true in some cases. For instance, on supercars there should be a reasonable expectation that these highly tuned, tight tolerance vehicles require more expensive and more routine maintenance, and the occasional problem. My expectation for vehicles that are purpose built for daily driving is that they should be generally reliable between oil changes.

I think that a Corolla is more reliable than the LS, and I get your point. I still think it's a shame that a premium vehicle, no matter how many bells and whistles it has, by definition, must be less reliable. That is a lot of money for more problems.

This might raise the point, "well knight rider, buy a Corolla and be happy". To that I say, "not a bad idea".
Old 05-31-2013, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by speedemon90
Now i'm with you and love bmw. I'm currenly not a fan of probably 99% of japanese cars. I love germans. But while everything is blown out of proportion because of the internet, bmw is still not at a level close to those of the japanese IMO
Don't get me wrong; I'm not defending BMW because I happen to own one. I've been plenty critical of them as well, but all I see being thrown around is a lot of poorly supported opinion and no empirical facts. Your last statement - "...bmw is still not at a level close to those of the japanese IMO" is a good example. How did you reach this opinion? Word of mouth? Actual data? If there's data, I'd love to see it.

Let me provide another example, when I was approaching 16, I was looking for my first car. My Dad was a die-hard Ford guy. My oldest brother owned a Ford dealership at the time. I ended up with a '76 Datsun. Know what I kept hearing from my Dad? How unreliable Japanese cars were. How expensive it was to get parts or get them worked on, etc. Sound familiar?

Know what I discovered for myself? All the manufacturers, no matter where they are domiciled, have problems. All of them. At some point, buying a car is a gamble. Some people get a great F30. Other people don't. It's just a fact of life and it's magnified when you are an enthusiast who has higher expectations and lower tolerance levels for nonsense.
speedemon90 (06-03-2013)
Old 05-31-2013, 08:45 PM

This might raise the point, "well knight rider, buy a Corolla and be happy". To that I say, "not a bad idea".
Man-card revoked!
Undying Dreams (10-05-2013)
Old 05-31-2013, 08:55 PM
Rooting for Acura

I get it. But, even just a cursory search on Infiniti shows numerous complaints of "Notorious Transmission Issues" on the G37, a "bubbling dash" problem that required a class-action lawsuit on an FX45, 2013 QX56's completely shutting themselves down for no apparent reason while driving, numerous brake issues, multiple incidents of engine replacement on the same cars, etc.

I loved my 3G TL, but want to venture a guess on the number of power steering racks that car went through? Three. Remember the power steering pump recall? No one's immune. No one.
On my street, one of my neighbors has a Mercedes. Another one of my neighbors has a Lexus. We have a BMW. Want to venture to guess which house had one loaner (ever) parked out front in 5-6 years?

Last edited by knight rider; 05-31-2013 at 08:58 PM.
Old 05-31-2013, 08:56 PM
Rooting for Acura

Man-card revoked!
Old 05-31-2013, 08:57 PM

On my street, one of my neighbors have a Mercedes. Another one of my neighbors has a Lexus. We have a BMW. Want to venture to guess which house had one loaner (ever) parked out front in 5-6 years?
Yeah, I hear you. My M5 was a maintenance pig, but my 335 has been a gem thus far. Sometimes, it's a crap shoot.

BTW, my local Lexus dealer was handing out Corolla's for loaner cars for a while...now THAT would make me an unhappy Lexus owner (first-world problems).
Old 05-31-2013, 09:07 PM
Rooting for Acura

Yeah, I hear you. My M5 was a maintenance pig, but my 335 has been a gem thus far. Sometimes, it's a crap shoot.

BTW, my local Lexus dealer was handing out Corolla's for loaner cars for a while...now THAT would make me an unhappy Lexus owner (first-world problems).
That's crazy talk.
Old 05-31-2013, 09:09 PM

That's crazy talk.
Big stickers across the rear windows that read - "Courtesy of Superstition Springs Lexus"...complete with grumpy, embarrassed, Lexus owners at the wheel. Made me giggle every time I drove up next to one on the freeway.
Old 05-31-2013, 10:36 PM
Currently Post-Acura

Received 125 Likes on 88 Posts
Big stickers across the rear windows that read - "Courtesy of Superstition Springs Lexus"...complete with grumpy, embarrassed, Lexus owners at the wheel. Made me giggle every time I drove up next to one on the freeway.
Now THAT would royally piss me off to no end. Just for my , I have noticed how Japanese cars can have a better reputation than some others. As it says in my sig, I have a 2000 Infiniti, which I ended up liking quite a lot since I got it and it has been hassle free, save for an O2 sensor and the transmission not shifting as smooth as I'd like when cold, but a fluid change should change it. Anyway, I'm appalled how bad my dad's GMC has been. The small thing has been three power door lock motors, within less than 4 years of ownership (got it in 2009). Now what really kills my faith in the brand was the huge repair done last year, where apparently the valve lifters collapse (for the VCM) and all eight had to be replaced, along with a ton of other things, as I don't remember the service order completely. But for a truck with about 35K and 3 years old, that just seems unacceptable IMO. Especially since it is almost top-trim, and my dad was without it for weeks. I know it's luck of the draw, my dad said the Mazda he bought right after I was born got the CEL on right after they drove it off the lot while my mom's Highlander just had some small recalls, but nothing impaired the drivability while she kept using it, but it seems that some brands have more issues. Funny thing is my friend keeps saying how he hates newer cars since more and more components are computer-controlled (he HATED the Volvo he had last year), meanwhile, he can't get his '89 Mustang to idle correctly. I guess it's just a matter of seeing what complaints arise with any model and see the manner, and how quickly, the manufacturer can deal with them.
Old 05-31-2013, 10:59 PM
אני עומד עם ישראל

Received 810 Likes on 522 Posts
Originally Posted by MaxMike93
Now THAT would royally piss me off to no end.
Who cares? I'm just happy to get wheels when my car is in service.

I dropped off my 2010 Infiniti several times and ended up with a Versa. All I cared about is if it had gas in it.

We shit and piss in clean water, where my mom grew up she didn't even have running water. They had a hand pump. Imagine what their toilet was like.

So me caring about getting some econobox for a day or two is the least of my worries. I just need to get to work.
Old 06-01-2013, 05:02 AM
registered pw

Received 354 Likes on 252 Posts
That's crazy talk.
Next he'll be saying that instead of having i-pads in the waiting room, they'll onlt have the old tower and 15" screen to use.
Old 06-01-2013, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by dallison
Next he'll be saying that instead of having i-pads in the waiting room, they'll onlt have the old tower and 15" screen to use.
Not sure if trying to be funny, or....
Old 06-01-2013, 09:57 AM
Rooting for Acura

It might just be me (and ttribe) but when I buy into Infiniti instead of Nissan, or Acura instead of Honda, etc... I expect the ownership experience to be better than the ownership experience of the parent brand. Isn't that what they're selling!? So, when I visit the dealership, I expect to get a loaner that is comparable to what I have, or best effort. Receiving a Corolla as a loaner for a Lexus cheapens the experience of owning a Lexus IMO.

Even Hyundai understands this paradigm. Buy an Equus, and get an Equus service experience.

Edit: BMW understands this too. The service experience (albeit often) is always exceptional, at least in my experience.
The following 4 users liked this post by knight rider:
F23A4 (06-02-2013), MaxMike93 (06-01-2013), ttribe (06-01-2013), ZhenyaF (06-02-2013)

Quick Reply: F30 Limp mode