Edmonton man's engine destroyed after oil change

Old 01-22-2016, 03:07 PM
99 TL, 06 E350

Received 164 Likes on 110 Posts
Edmonton man's engine destroyed after oil change

People need to learn how to do it themselves, or even check the engine oil to avoid such cases. It sounds a bit fishy since it took 8 days for the engine to go. If the oil filter was not on correctly, I believe it would take less than 3 days.

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/edmonton-m...491.html?nhp=1

An Edmonton man is trying to find someone to take responsibility after his vehicle's engine seized.

Tim Slocombe needed an oil change on his 2014 Mitsubishi Outlander before heading to Lethbridge for Christmas.

He wasn't able to book an appointment at his dealership. So he went to Mr. Lube near the corner of Parsons and Ellerslie roads in Edmonton.

"I've been there before with other vehicles and never had a problem," he said.

According to Slocombe, everything was fine for about a week after he got the oil change, until a couple of warning indicators suddenly lit up on his dash and the vehicle ground to a halt.

The Outlander was towed to Lethbridge Mitsubishi, where service adviser Jessica MacQuarrie said her technician noticed a problem right away.

Oil filter 'improperly' installed?

"After we realized that the oil filter was improperly installed, we also came to the conclusion that it was altogether the wrong filter for that particular vehicle," MacQuarrie said.

The CBC cannot independently verify that diagnosis.

Mr. Lube said it has investigated and stands by its claim that it did use the correct filter.

The CBC also contacted two different parts stores in Edmonton to ask for the correct part number for the oil filter on Slocombe's Mitsubishi. Both gave the same part number that Mr. Lube used.

Mr. Lube spokesperson David Waterfall said the company also verified the part number with the supplier and confirmed it's an original equipment manufacturer part.

"That means this is not a copy of the part that Mitsubishi would have in their cars," said Waterfall. "This is the actual part that Mitsubishi themselves would install."

Waterfall said he isn't sure what caused the engine to fail.

"But I can tell you with a great deal of certainty that the part we installed was not the problem," he said.

He could not say if improper installation may have been to blame, adding "anything is possible but I think that's unlikely."

Still, the dealership wrote a letter to Mr. Lube on Slocombe's behalf outlining the problem. It pointed out that the Mr. Lube technician could have obtained what it said is the correct part number from the filter that was removed rather than looking it up.

But the damage is done, and it's extensive.

An independent mechanic who is not connected to the story confirmed to CBC that it is possible for a vehicle's warning indicators to start flashing just before the engine seizes. Kent Asselstine with Legend Auto also confirmed that an incorrect oil filter can cause a catastrophic engine failure, but believes most filter problems are caused by installation errors.

The dealership said the engine will have to be replaced, at a cost of about $15,000. MacQuarrie thinks Mr. Lube should foot the bill.

"I believe they should absolutely be responsible for the damage."

Mr. Lube disagrees.

Mr. Lube says it used correct filter

A Mr. Lube representative responded to Slocombe with a letter indicating the dealership was wrong and that Mr. Lube did use the correct filter.

Mr. Lube even provided a link to a Mitsubishi website indicating technicians did in fact use the manufacturer's suggested part.

MacQuarrie thinks it may be an American Mitsubishi website.

"We base everything that we service here in Canada off of the Mitsubishi Canada website," MacQuarrie said. "By the looks of this information that I've been sent, that is not the website that he visited. It seems to me that that looks like an American site."

Meanwhile, Slocombe has returned to Edmonton without his vehicle; it's still sitting at the dealership's lot in Lethbridge, and he's still making payments on it.

Engine 'totally seized'

"So my engine is now totally seized, I've approached Mr. Lube and they've basically written two letters telling me to go away and that it's not their fault," said Slocombe. "That they're right, that their recommendations that they use told them to use the filter that they did, and not the filter that was already on the car.

"Whether it's the wrong filter or the right filter, their technicians touched my vehicle and eight days later it suffered catastrophic engine failure."
Old 01-22-2016, 03:15 PM
_

Received 3,097 Likes on 1,867 Posts
$15K to repair? Go through insurance?
Old 01-22-2016, 03:36 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Originally Posted by Black Tire
"Whether it's the wrong filter or the right filter, their technicians touched my vehicle and eight days later it suffered catastrophic engine failure."
This right here will not help him one bit.

If the place installed the correct part and verified it was the correct part, it's going to be near impossible to prove the oil filter itself was the cause. With that said the owner could have done anything to the car over those 8 days which may have caused a loss of oil... none of which would be Mr Lube's fault. If Mr Lube can prove they used the right filter (sound like they did that) and they filled the oil properly and tightened all drains before it left their shop, the customer may be screwed...
Old 01-22-2016, 03:44 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
The other thing is, how do you install a filter incorrectly? It's not even possible, unless you purposely rethread the threaded part that the filter sits on. Then there would be obvious damage that someone fucked something up. By the end of the day, it would be a he said, she said scenario.

The dealership says the filter was improperly installed, but how? I just don't get it. And Mr.Lube isn't denying that happened either.
Old 01-22-2016, 04:45 PM
Team Owner

Received 2,334 Likes on 1,962 Posts
Polobunny, is that you?
Old 01-22-2016, 04:48 PM
Team Owner

Received 2,334 Likes on 1,962 Posts
In addition, I want to know why the hell the engine cost as much as the shitty car? He should have bought a TLX or RDX Elite..... Dummy.
The following users liked this post:
D's Up (01-24-2016)
Old 01-22-2016, 09:16 PM
Unofficial Goat

Received 112 Likes on 89 Posts
Originally Posted by TacoBello
The other thing is, how do you install a filter incorrectly? It's not even possible, unless you purposely rethread the threaded part that the filter sits on. Then there would be obvious damage that someone fucked something up. By the end of the day, it would be a he said, she said scenario.

The dealership says the filter was improperly installed, but how? I just don't get it. And Mr.Lube isn't denying that happened either.
It's actually quite common for the gasket on the old filter to stick to the block, then when the new filter is spun on they double stack and don't steal properly gradually spilling all the oil from the engine. Lots of mechanics forget to double check that the old gasket came off with the filter.
Old 01-23-2016, 06:52 PM
Team Owner

So wouldn't that indicate that Mr.Lube fucked up? I mean, I know they're gonna argue that the car owner replaced the filter on his own in that 1 week time span, but c'mon, why the hell would he do that?

"Oh, I've got brand new oil and a brand new filter on here, that I just overpaid to have installed on my car. Better go take it off and do my own oil change, 1 week later!"
neuronbob (01-31-2016)
Old 01-23-2016, 08:17 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

Received 1,484 Likes on 1,048 Posts
Originally Posted by The Dougler
It's actually quite common for the gasket on the old filter to stick to the block, then when the new filter is spun on they double stack and don't steal properly gradually spilling all the oil from the engine. Lots of mechanics forget to double check that the old gasket came off with the filter.
Wow, I've never thought to check for this. Thanks for sharing.
D's Up (01-24-2016)
Old 01-24-2016, 09:23 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
So in 8 days of driving he never noticed pools of oil under his vehicle in his garage or driveway?
The following 2 users liked this post by fsttyms1:
00TL-P3.2 (01-25-2016), juniorbean (01-25-2016)
Old 01-26-2016, 12:55 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 269 Likes on 229 Posts
Originally Posted by fsttyms1
So in 8 days of driving he never noticed pools of oil under his vehicle in his garage or driveway?
I agree. Unless he was on a constant road trip for 8 days where he would just stop and get gas and take off, then I don't understand at all.
Old 01-26-2016, 01:17 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,574 Likes on 6,625 Posts

i'm never a fan of these quick lube places either but this was just owner negligence..
fsttyms1 (01-27-2016)
Old 01-26-2016, 02:06 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
Originally Posted by myron
I agree. Unless he was on a constant road trip for 8 days where he would just stop and get gas and take off, then I don't understand at all.
Originally Posted by thoiboi

i'm never a fan of these quick lube places either but this was just owner negligence..
You guys would be highly surprised at how many people would never notice such a thing. Just get in the car, turn the key and go.

This guy was driving an average Joe Mitsubishi and had his oil changes done at Mr. Lube. Highly doubt he knows or cares much about cars and leaves it to the "professionals".

Being sloppy weathered around here at this time, there's always dirt snow and ice on the ground. It's no different if you park in your garage. My garage is insulated, but not heated, and there's been plenty of days where the ice and snow build up just melts on to the ground. It's always a pain to clean it off. I can easily see how he would have missed such a leak.
Old 01-26-2016, 02:07 PM
Team Owner

Also, he didn't lose 5 quarts of oil, or whatever, for that to happen. It would suffice to be a half quart under the "minimum" fill line for that to happen. So he lost, what, 1-1.5 quarts in 8 days before it seized?
Old 01-26-2016, 04:26 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 269 Likes on 229 Posts
You guys would be highly surprised at how many people would never notice such a thing. Just get in the car, turn the key and go.

This guy was driving an average Joe Mitsubishi and had his oil changes done at Mr. Lube. Highly doubt he knows or cares much about cars and leaves it to the "professionals".

Being sloppy weathered around here at this time, there's always dirt snow and ice on the ground. It's no different if you park in your garage. My garage is insulated, but not heated, and there's been plenty of days where the ice and snow build up just melts on to the ground. It's always a pain to clean it off. I can easily see how he would have missed such a leak.
I guess I can understand what you mean. I am sure if it happened to my mom, she wouldn't have noticed either. That's why I do oil changes on her car, just to be safe.
Old 01-26-2016, 05:17 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 151 Likes on 115 Posts
Originally Posted by The Dougler
It's probably too late to check now, but if that happened, it would be simple to check for a double gasket left on the oil filter.
Old 01-27-2016, 09:02 AM
Senior Moderator

Oh no doubt most dont notice stuff like that. It is also the reason we have so many driver aids being mandated to be put on the vehicles now days. Stuff like this while it sucks it happened, if it really is the negligence of the quick lubes fault should be taken care of by them but part of the blame should also be held to the vehicles owner to have been able to spot an issue. He is probably also the one who drove around on a tire that was 20 psi low (before tire pressure monitor systems) because he never bothered to check his tires. At some point people need to come to the realization that they are the ones that need to be held accountable for many things like this because it is their vehicle and part of their responsibility. Whats next, tire tread depth warning lights to help prevent idiots getting in accidents because they never thought to look to see how much tread was left on their tires? (yea, its already expected by most that it should be told to them when they get the vehicle serviced)
Old 01-27-2016, 09:06 AM
Senior Moderator

Wouldn't his car have had at least an oil light come on when it was getting low due to low oil pressure..

Surely his car at least had THAT... that's not a very new invention...

Agreed with fatty () This is definitely a case of "not being held accountable for your own actions" and just want to lay the blame on someone else.
Old 01-27-2016, 09:26 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by thoiboi
Wouldn't his car have had at least an oil light come on when it was getting low due to low oil pressure..

Surely his car at least had THAT... that's not a very new invention...

Agreed with fatty () This is definitely a case of "not being held accountable for your own actions" and just want to lay the blame on someone else.
Thoi, he did have lights come on. But it seems it was too late by then.

I mean, it's a Mitsubishi... I'm surprised it even has such a sensor. Then again, I'm questioning whether there was even an engine in the car to begin with... those Mitsubishi cost cutting measures...
Old 01-27-2016, 09:29 AM
The Third Ball

Received 4,824 Likes on 2,571 Posts
In college, a good friend of mine had a Ford Explorer. He took it to a Jiffy Lube or something like that for an oil change. They installed a faulty filter and it took about a week or a little more before it completely failed and left us stranded on the side of the highway with a seized engine.

Moral of the story. Black Tire is an idiot.
gatrhumpy (01-29-2016)
Old 01-27-2016, 09:29 AM
Team Owner

This just made my day
Sarlacc (01-27-2016)
Old 01-27-2016, 09:46 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,094 Likes on 749 Posts
Maybe they didn't check to see if the old oil filter gasket was still stuck on there and put on the new filter anyway...double gasket-ing and causing leak that way....I've heard of that happening.

But yeah cheap quick lube places are big no no for me. My first car ever I got in high school I took it one time to a quick lube place (before I got into cars/knowledge about cars) and I noticed oil started leaking after the oil change. Took it to a friend who was a peon at a local shop and we hoisted it up and saw the oil filter was quite loose along with several oil pan bolts seemed to have been loosened and oil seeping out of the oil pan gasket all around....yeah needless to say ever since i've only done oil change at known friend's, occasional dealer, and myself as well as learning lot more about cars so I don't get screwed like that again. People who intentionally or are so negligent in doing this need to be held almost criminally liable for attempted murder....

This is similar to that jiffy lube story about a dude who took his brand new Audi to them and the kid who worked on the car drained the DSG fluid instead of the motor oil (while cutting out a whole in the underpan) and then overfilling the motor oil.....
Old 01-27-2016, 09:50 AM
Team Owner

about 12 years ago, a friend of mine was working at one of these tire and oil shops. He said some guy brought in his GMC Typhoon for an oil change... the guy doing the oil change (not my buddy, lol) filled the engine with oil RIGHT TO THE TOP.

I believe he even then started it up. Needless to say, he was fired and the shop had an expensive engine to replace. That's what happens when someone gets paid $10/hr to do this stuff. Experience? None necessary!!
Old 01-27-2016, 10:11 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,094 Likes on 749 Posts
about 12 years ago, a friend of mine was working at one of these tire and oil shops. He said some guy brought in his GMC Typhoon for an oil change... the guy doing the oil change (not my buddy, lol) filled the engine with oil RIGHT TO THE TOP.

I believe he even then started it up. Needless to say, he was fired and the shop had an expensive engine to replace. That's what happens when someone gets paid $10/hr to do this stuff. Experience? None necessary!!
Dang.

Now while the kid does deserve consequences....when things like that happen it points to a higher level problem...management not putting in proper training policies. Of course they'll just blame the low level peon/grease monkey. Not saying that was the problem but I suspect that may have been a possibility. Too many times we blame the peons who have been woefully under-trained/supervised and the culture/management may be the real cause of the problem
Old 01-27-2016, 10:14 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by nist7
Dang.

Now while the kid does deserve consequences....when things like that happen it points to a higher level problem...management not putting in proper training policies. Of course they'll just blame the low level peon/grease monkey. Not saying that was the problem but I suspect that may have been a possibility. Too many times we blame the peons who have been woefully under-trained/supervised and the culture/management may be the real cause of the problem
whoa whoa whoa.. this is car talk, get your real-world nonsense talk out of here!

The real blame here is the guy for taking it to a quick lube shop
Old 01-27-2016, 10:16 AM
Team Owner

If I remember correctly, I believe he was hired because he claimed to have extensive experience on changing oil. You're right though- management should have verified it and even still make him do the basic training. In the end, I believe he was fired for lying about his experience, not necessarily because of what he did.

Still though, I agree, management does play a role in all of this.
Old 01-27-2016, 11:05 PM
09 TL SH AWD /w TECH

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
People need to learn how to do it themselves, or even check the engine oil to avoid such cases. It sounds a bit fishy since it took 8 days for the engine to go. If the oil filter was not on correctly, I believe it would take less than 3 days.

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/edmonton-m...491.html?nhp=1
I absolutely gauruntee that they double sealed the old oil filter. Basically what happens is when the old oil filter is taken off the rubber gasket that sits in the actual filter sticks to the filter housing then a new filter is applied it creates a double seal and creates an air pocket which can fail at any given time and will start shooting his engine oil all over the ground. I gauruntee that's what happened. Seen it happen before.
Old 01-27-2016, 11:07 PM
09 TL SH AWD /w TECH

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

Jesus Christ. That's pretty bad lmao
Old 01-28-2016, 05:53 AM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I really need to learn how to do an oil change myself.
Old 01-28-2016, 02:17 PM
Team Owner

It's easy, man. Very little you can screw up. You just have to invest in some tools, but luckily, you don't need all that much.

Get a floor jack, 2 jack stands, a socket set (17mm socket to remove drain plug), a filter wrench (personally I like the 3 armed ones, that you attach a ratchet wrench to), some shop rags, a couple funnels, a drain pan and I think that's about it.

Collect your used oil and filter and take them to the recycle center. I always pour my used oil back into an empty oil jug and take that for recycling.

For what it costs for a synthetic oil change at one of these quick lube shops, I change my oil for about 60% less cost. Plus you learn a bit about your car and you get the satisfaction that you did it yourself. Also, you know it's been done right, which is likely one of the best things.
Old 01-28-2016, 03:05 PM

Received 5,289 Likes on 3,623 Posts
^ Pretty much, except I'm lazy & have about 6-7 jugs of used oil in my garage. Need to get with my brother in law next time he's down to use his truck to haul them all to the disposal. Don't really want them dripping/spilling/tipping in the Civic or Flex.
Old 01-29-2016, 06:11 AM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

Received 1,651 Likes on 1,116 Posts
Originally Posted by 00TL-P3.2
^ Pretty much, except I'm lazy & have about 6-7 jugs of used oil in my garage. Need to get with my brother in law next time he's down to use his truck to haul them all to the disposal. Don't really want them dripping/spilling/tipping in the Civic or Flex.
I put mine in old gallon milk jugs and seal them up.
Old 01-29-2016, 11:00 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by 00TL-P3.2
Sissy.

I put just shy of 30 gallons in my TL once

Old 01-31-2016, 01:47 PM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I had a da9 integra that had a bad oil leak after installing a turbo(I was stupid and used a brake line instead of an oil feed line for the turbo) needless to say I was putting in 2 QTS of oil a day on a 1.8l engine... At one point I actually was driving it with the oil light on because I was trying to get to a auto store... Got to the store and there was NOTHING on the dipstick. Was driven like that for at least an hour. Filled up with oil then learned what could have happened... Same day bought a proper oil feed line and all was good after.
Old 02-02-2016, 08:11 PM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Horrible.. i went to firestone for a oil change, they said they checked my PS fluid.. WAAAY below the line causing the 3g TL whine on cold starts.. DIY from now on.
Old 02-08-2016, 10:32 PM
Pro

Received 61 Likes on 59 Posts
I put my used oil in three 35 gallon barrels then lift them into my truck. Usually drop them off at my local Stihl dealer since they have an oil burner.

Takes maybe two years to fill all of them.
Old 12-17-2017, 07:28 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 390 Likes on 236 Posts
People need to learn how to do it themselves...
That's all fine if the owner knows what they are doing. I've seen my share of DIYs where the person had absolutely no business under the hood of their vehicle.
I'd never let anyone touch any of my vehicles, not even during the warranty period except for a recall.
Old 12-17-2017, 07:47 PM

Received 5,877 Likes on 2,896 Posts
Originally Posted by Tech
That's all fine if the owner knows what they are doing. I've seen my share of DIYs where the person had absolutely no business under the hood of their vehicle.
I'd never let anyone touch any of my vehicles, not even during the warranty period except for a recall.
You're responding to something that is nearly a year old.
Old 12-17-2017, 08:11 PM
_

Received 3,097 Likes on 1,867 Posts
Originally Posted by ttribe
You're responding to something that is nearly two years old.
FTFY
Old 12-17-2017, 08:36 PM

Received 5,877 Likes on 2,896 Posts
Originally Posted by AZuser
FTFY
Dang it!

Search this Thread