:doh: Rookie mistake of the day...AKA Life and times at the dealer auctions

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 05:07 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Shoofin
07 Type S I want to guess probably around $24k-$26k depending on options/miles/color/condition, could be more or less..

I bet I can probably sell you one for no more than $26k for something with between 25k-35k miles on it, but would have to look into it some more to confirm. Let me know if interested.

This is my exact requirements which is somewhat rare.

2007 or 2008 White Diamond Pearl Acura TL Type S (manual transmission)
Old 11-10-2009, 09:48 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 740 Likes on 309 Posts
Originally Posted by tonyatkayak
This is my exact requirements which is somewhat rare.

2007 or 2008 White Diamond Pearl Acura TL Type S (manual transmission)
Don't see anything out there in your specs as of yet, but I will look and let you know.
Old 11-11-2009, 07:02 PM
Oh Hullow

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
99 maxima 5 speed in good condition... what do they generally go for?

did you ever sell that 2000 maxima you picked up yet too?
Old 11-11-2009, 07:21 PM
seizure force field!

Received 115 Likes on 95 Posts
Has a roof...no idea what options it has though, but it is a stick...Nice looking car!

Let me know if you get any info on this one. Mileage, options, etc.
Old 11-11-2009, 09:22 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,568 Likes on 985 Posts
^^
I really wish I liked Minis ... They look awesome. I just didn't enjoy driving it.
Old 11-11-2009, 10:57 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by 03bl AC k CL
99 maxima 5 speed in good condition... what do they generally go for?

did you ever sell that 2000 maxima you picked up yet too?
There was a problem with the car stalling on startup. We thought it was the idle sensor (seems to be a VERY common problem on late model Nissan's), but it looked like the idle sensor was replaced by the previous owner. We then thought that the ECU needed to be recalibrated to the new idle sensor, so we sent it to the dealer to be reprogrammed, and the programming didn't change anything. We sent out the ECU to be repaired/erased/reprogrammed to solve the problem. I should get it back from the company by Friday and have the car back from the shop sometime over the weekend. It is still available if you're interested. I'll post in this thread when it's ready.

So far I repaired/replaced:

4 new pads and rotors
4 relatively new tires (all matching, with about 80%-90% treadlife)
1 ABS Sensor
1 Parking Brake Cable (1 of the cables were sticking)
1 O2 Sensor & TPS Sensor (replaced because of the stalling problem, but we probably didn't need to replace it after the conclusion that the ECU was bad, but we replaced already, oh well..)

As for the body, I painted the rear bumper from the parking scratches. The car does have a few other light scratches around the car that I had professionally touched up. The scratches are still there but are blended well enought that you can't see it unless you're actually looking for it. Aside from the bumper, the rest of the body is original paint.

Whoever gets this car after is going to be getting a car that's going to last a long time, considering all the work I already put into it. If I didn't have my Clubman to use as a DD, I'd be driving this thing. It's really a lot of fun to drive...Could use a little suspension drop though, but i'm not touching that because i'm selling it, not keeping it.

I also have some more auction action from today, but i'm too tired now, I'll post it all tomorrow, along with a few pics I snapped.

Last edited by Shoofin; 11-11-2009 at 11:15 PM.
Old 11-11-2009, 11:11 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by v6cord2k5
Let me know if you get any info on this one. Mileage, options, etc.
2006 MCS

Odometer: 14,533 mi
Transmission: 6 Speed Automatic
Engine Cylinders: 1.6 Liter Inline 4 Cylinder
Drive Train: Front-wheel
Fuel Used: Gasoline
Exterior Color: NONE
Interior Color: NONE
Interior Type: Leather
Body Style: Coupe
Doors: 2 Doors
Audio: Premium
Top Style: Not Specified

Here's the thing (regarding what I put in bold). The info above is entered by the seller by checking off boxes, which some idiot might have checked off the wrong thing, which doesn't surprise me much.

What you see below are notes that were added/typed by the seller. I guess I would want to call them to make sure if it's a manual or auto:

Comments
S Hatchback 2D,4-Cyl. Supercharged,6 Speed Manual,FWD,ABS (4-Wheel),AM/FM Stereo,Dual Front Air Bags,Front Side Air Bags,Rear Spoiler,Single Compact Disc,Traction Control,105-amp alternator,13.2 gallon fuel tank,16 x 6.5 X-lite alloy wheels,4-wheel anti-lock brake system (ABS),55 amp/hr battery in luggage compartment w/safety terminal clamp,Chrome fuel filler cap,Corner brake control (CBC),Electronic brake force distribution (EBD),Front/rear anti-roll bars,MacPherson front sport plus suspension w/single-joint spring-strut front axle,Multi-link rear sport plus suspension w/multiple-control-arm rear axle,P195/55VR16 all-season run-flat tires,Steel car jack,Traction control w/automatic stability control (ASC),Ventilated front/solid rear disc brakes,Black exterior trim-inc: side sills,bumper edges,wheel housing,Body-color grille,Body-color sport bumpers,Chrome bezels-inc: rear lights,headlights,Chrome-plated door handles,Chrome-plated side air inlets,Chrome-plated window trim,Front apron w/enlarged cooling air inlet,Heat insulated green glass,Integrated low/high beam auto-leveling headlights w/follow-me-home function,Integrated mudguards,Intermittent rear window wiper w/washer jet,Rear roof spoiler,Speed-sensitive intermittent windshield wipers,12V auxiliary pwr outlet in luggage compartment,50/50 split-folding rear seat,Air conditioning-inc: pollen micro-filter,air recirculation button,Alloy patina interior surface

I have to call the seller to see what I can buy it for, but my guess is going to be somewhere in the $16,500-$17,000 range. If interested, let me know and I'll make the call to see what the best price I can get it for you for.
Old 11-11-2009, 11:13 PM
seizure force field!

Nevermind, it has a sunroof! :thumbsdow

Those wheels are also not "x-lites"

Last edited by v6cord2k5; 11-11-2009 at 11:15 PM.
Old 11-11-2009, 11:19 PM
Senior Moderator

Nevermind, it has a sunroof! :thumbsdow

Those wheels are also not "x-lites"
I told you it had a sunroof...look at my post when I first mentioned this car... I said "Has a Roof"

Also, the wheels are the "R90 Cross Spoke Design Composite Light Alloy Wheel" It's an upgraded wheel that was featured on the special/limited edition MC40 model (but the MC40 wheels have anthracite spokes)

The X-Lites were standard equipment for the S Convertible.

Last edited by Shoofin; 11-11-2009 at 11:23 PM.
Old 11-11-2009, 11:23 PM
seizure force field!

I told you it had a sunroof...look at my post when I first mentioned this car...

Also, the wheels are the "R90 Cross Spoke Design Composite Light Alloy Wheel" It's an upgraded wheel that was featured on the special/limited edition MC40 model (but the MC40 wheels have anthracite spokes)
When you said "has a roof" I figured it was in contrast to the convertible you posted Didn't realize you meant "has a sunroof."

on the wheels, made by BBS.
Old 11-11-2009, 11:25 PM
Senior Moderator

When you said "has a roof" I figured it was in contrast to the convertible you posted Didn't realize you meant "has a sunroof."

on the wheels, made by BBS.
Yep, these are probably the nicest OEM wheels you can get for a Mini (aside from my R112's :wink: )

So should I make a call for you or not?
Old 11-11-2009, 11:27 PM
Senior Moderator

FWIW, my wheels:

I haven't put them on yet, they've been sitting in the same place in my office as you see in the pics for the last month. They are wrapped in summer tires and i'm still contemplating putting them on now only to have to take them off in a month as the cold weather nears...
Old 11-11-2009, 11:30 PM
seizure force field!

I agree.

No it's okay. Anything that has a sunroof is out the door immediately. Even though I'm digging the painted aero kit, R90's and low mileage. I'd be on the edge of my chair asking you to make that call immediately if it didn't have a sunroof.

Last edited by v6cord2k5; 11-11-2009 at 11:32 PM.
Old 11-12-2009, 12:09 AM
S E L L

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts
I agree.

No it's okay. Anything that has a sunroof is out the door immediately. Even though I'm digging the painted aero kit, R90's and low mileage. I'd be on the edge of my chair asking you to make that call immediately if it didn't have a sunroof.
Why is the sunroof a no-go for you?
Old 11-12-2009, 01:11 AM
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Shoofin, you have end-user customers from Canada? My brother is looking for a car, and if shipping to Canada (Toronto, ON) is not out of the question...
Old 11-12-2009, 07:55 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by afici0nad0
Shoofin, you have end-user customers from Canada? My brother is looking for a car, and if shipping to Canada (Toronto, ON) is not out of the question...
Funny that you say that. I've been seeing cars at the auctions in Canada (Yes, this organization has auctions all over this part of the world, including Hawaii, Puerto Rico and Canada) and questioning if it's worth picking them up. I guess the only thing working against me is the US/Canada differences between the cars (e.g. miles/km) that i've been staying away from bringing cars into the US so far. I did do a deal with someone in Canada once before, but it was a wholesale transaction, so I really didn't have to do much other than send the car and title to the auction, and they would handle the rest.

I can look into it if you want, maybe even work the transaction where you would just pick up the car straight from the auction (after we finalize all the other documents, details and payment). If you're interested let me know and I'll look into it a bit. Also let me know what he's looking for so I can see what's out there.

So the short answer is no, it's not out of the question, and yes, I would consider it.
Old 11-12-2009, 09:01 AM
seizure force field!

Originally Posted by Gfaze
Why is the sunroof a no-go for you?
See post 154.
Old 11-12-2009, 04:08 PM
Oh Hullow

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
There was a problem with the car stalling on startup. We thought it was the idle sensor (seems to be a VERY common problem on late model Nissan's), but it looked like the idle sensor was replaced by the previous owner. We then thought that the ECU needed to be recalibrated to the new idle sensor, so we sent it to the dealer to be reprogrammed, and the programming didn't change anything. We sent out the ECU to be repaired/erased/reprogrammed to solve the problem. I should get it back from the company by Friday and have the car back from the shop sometime over the weekend. It is still available if you're interested. I'll post in this thread when it's ready.

So far I repaired/replaced:

4 new pads and rotors
4 relatively new tires (all matching, with about 80%-90% treadlife)
1 ABS Sensor
1 Parking Brake Cable (1 of the cables were sticking)
1 O2 Sensor & TPS Sensor (replaced because of the stalling problem, but we probably didn't need to replace it after the conclusion that the ECU was bad, but we replaced already, oh well..)

As for the body, I painted the rear bumper from the parking scratches. The car does have a few other light scratches around the car that I had professionally touched up. The scratches are still there but are blended well enought that you can't see it unless you're actually looking for it. Aside from the bumper, the rest of the body is original paint.

Whoever gets this car after is going to be getting a car that's going to last a long time, considering all the work I already put into it. If I didn't have my Clubman to use as a DD, I'd be driving this thing. It's really a lot of fun to drive...Could use a little suspension drop though, but i'm not touching that because i'm selling it, not keeping it.

I also have some more auction action from today, but i'm too tired now, I'll post it all tomorrow, along with a few pics I snapped.
funny you mention the stalling problem, my old 2000 maxima did the same thing. it was an auto, but on some days (mostly cold days) the rpms would drop so low the car would shut off if i didnt rev it lightly a few times.
Old 11-12-2009, 06:40 PM
Unofficial Goat

Received 112 Likes on 89 Posts
Shoofin just an FYI, if you do go ahead with a deal with someone from Canada, the title needs to be faxed to the US customs office at which ever boarder crossing the car will be coming across 48 hours before the car arrives there so that they can run a complete title search.
Old 11-12-2009, 11:02 PM
Senior Moderator

So this week's auction action:

I went to the auction with intentions on picking up a 2007 Mazdaspeed3 for a certain someone :wink: , but it turned out the car was misrepresented on the .com site, they specified it to be a Grand Touring model but upon closer inspection, realized that it was a Sport model, so I passed on it. Pics:

It also happened to be that another 'Speed3 was being auctioned off at a different auction in NY (Newburgh), which I was watching too. I ended up going into the tech center in the auction I was in (NJ) and monitored the 'Speed3 in an attempt to bid and win it, because it appeared to be in better overall shape as the Sport I was to pick up, plus it was a GT. It went for a LOT more than expected, I bid up until I was allowed to, and then stopped. It sold for about $2,500 more than I was willing to pay for it. That was pretty unexpected!

Couple other cars I noticed:
'79 with 66k original miles

Overall it was a crappy day...Being that I drove a car into the auction for someone, it was a one way ticket, so I had to buy something, because that was my ride home. I ended up picking this up:

2004 Murano SE, 81k miles with Leather/Roof/Hot Seats/Memory Seats/Dual Screen Rear Entertainment in the headrests, Remote Start, it's pretty loaded. It's original paint, no scratches around the car at all other than a few nicks on the rear bumper. Of course there are the surprises that I don't notice until later, one being the liftgate latch was broken, so the liftgate doesn't close/latch, it just lowers into position as if it's locked. I already ordered a new latch, should have it tomorrow, no big deal. The carpeting on the driver's side is faded to crap, a new carpet (entire carpet is 1 piece) costs $750, I said HELLLL NO, so i'm going to take it to an upholstery shop to see what they can do with it w/o it costing me body parts. Other than that, the steering shakes very slightly at speed, suggesting a high speed tire/wheel balance is needed, no big deal. The car is decent overall, just not sure if I'm going to keep it or take it back to the auction and get rid of it.

Anyone interested?
Old 11-12-2009, 11:15 PM

Received 9,502 Likes on 6,173 Posts
Is that purple car an old Mercury? It sure looks like it.

And the carpet is one big ass piece? What kind of shit is that?
Old 11-13-2009, 04:36 AM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Originally Posted by CLtotheTL32
Is that purple car an old Mercury? It sure looks like it.

And the carpet is one big ass piece? What kind of shit is that?
I thought most carpets were one big piece.
Old 11-17-2009, 10:03 AM
Senior Moderator

2007 Odyssey EX - 14,400 miles (approx)

More pics! ---->
/
Old 11-17-2009, 12:14 PM
I got the Shifts

Received 230 Likes on 163 Posts
i shouldve bought my tl from u. couldve saved me an arm and a leg. it will be paid off soon. i only own 2k on it
Old 11-18-2009, 11:23 PM
Senior Moderator

So today, I didn't plan on going to the auction, then last second I decided to go, I forgot that I had some paperwork to do. I had no intention on buying anything today, but sometimes you just can't resist...I wasn't looking for anything for myself really, but a good friend of mine who does most of my repair work needed some cheap cars for a few of his customers, and always tells me to try to pick him up an early 2000's Malibu or Impala. I saw an '02 Impala with about 70k on it, but the car went for more than I wanted to spend. I then saw an '02 Grand Prix GT with about 105k on it, leather/roof/hot seats. The car was VERY clean, original paint and no scratches or dings, but the "service engine soon" light was on. It also had winter tires on it, which explains why it has some cheap looking wheel covers on it when a GT should have alloys. No big deal for him, as he will fix whatever's wrong with it, change the tires (he's a tire shop as well) and still be able to sell it for profit. Pics:

Few other cars I saw while there that caught my attention:

This one was entertaining us with some very loud music and strobe action :

The GEM Electric vehicle...from back in 2002, and made by Mercedes Benz...How 'bout them rims?

Lastly, I was walking around and say this (V6cord2k5 this is for you!)

At first I saw this:

I watched it as it went through the auction block:

It didn't sell...as you can see, they wasn't a whole lot of action on this lane at this particular time. I spoke to the seller to see what he was asking for it, took his number and told him i'd call him later if I was interested. I also went out after it ran through to look at it a little closer:

BUT, he wants an R53, so I'll keep a look out! I did see an '04 with 115k on it drive by as I was walking to look at the R56 above, but I didn't think he wanted an '04, let alone with 115k miles and in that ghey light blue color...No pics for that one though...Back to the drawing board!
Old 11-19-2009, 01:06 AM
seizure force field!

Thanks again for remembering. Electric Blue is a definite

There's a member on m|u that has an awesome R56 in Midnight Black but like I said on PM, the R56 didn't wow me like the R53 has... The hunt continues.
Old 11-19-2009, 08:13 AM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
I love the "WTF is this garbage" look on the guy's face looking at that orange monstrosity.
Old 11-19-2009, 12:07 PM

Received 9,502 Likes on 6,173 Posts
^I have that look on my face right now. What a piece. Damn highlighter GS. What's that plexiglass looking thing on the hood?
Old 11-19-2009, 04:36 PM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,106 Likes on 764 Posts
^I have that look on my face right now.
x 3!
What's that plexiglass looking thing on the hood?
It looks like a bug deflector...
Old 11-19-2009, 07:30 PM
Safety Car

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
I'll so do this---> if I see this thing around me.
Old 11-20-2009, 08:58 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

I'm waiting a day or two to post pictures but Shoofin found me a car and took my Audi in trade at a very fair deal. I can't speak highly enough about him or the professionalism he has ... More to come with pictures.

I already miss the extra 170hp I gave up
Old 11-20-2009, 11:01 PM
Your Garage

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Old 11-21-2009, 06:23 AM
registered pw

Received 354 Likes on 252 Posts
Originally Posted by charliemike
I'm waiting a day or two to post pictures but Shoofin found me a car and took my Audi in trade at a very fair deal. I can't speak highly enough about him or the professionalism he has ... More to come with pictures.

I already miss the extra 170hp I gave up
nice. even fron 2 states away
Old 11-21-2009, 10:05 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by dallison
nice. even fron 2 states away
I must say, I love his S4...wish I can keep it...Great car!
Old 11-23-2009, 07:50 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
that MCS with the wheels (and sunroof) is SWEET.....i ordered a new '03 6-spd MCS in '02 (Chili Red, white stripes, Sport/Prem/Weather pkgs), had it about a year and ended up selling it when I started havin kids with my first wife....love my kids but MAN i miss that car more than any of the 100 others i've had
I will have another, probly an '05 for the gearing change, but i'm scared of one out of warranty, they can be trouble...
And as for that sherbert GS...ummm....speechless
Old 11-23-2009, 07:53 PM
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Funny that you say that. I've been seeing cars at the auctions in Canada (Yes, this organization has auctions all over this part of the world, including Hawaii, Puerto Rico and Canada) and questioning if it's worth picking them up. I guess the only thing working against me is the US/Canada differences between the cars (e.g. miles/km) that i've been staying away from bringing cars into the US so far. I did do a deal with someone in Canada once before, but it was a wholesale transaction, so I really didn't have to do much other than send the car and title to the auction, and they would handle the rest.

I can look into it if you want, maybe even work the transaction where you would just pick up the car straight from the auction (after we finalize all the other documents, details and payment). If you're interested let me know and I'll look into it a bit. Also let me know what he's looking for so I can see what's out there.

So the short answer is no, it's not out of the question, and yes, I would consider it.
Thanks. I'll keep you posted once I receive more details on the specifics of the car.
Old 11-27-2009, 01:01 PM
Senior Moderator

2005 Honda Accord EX-L With Navigation AND Factory/Dealer installed Rear Seat Entertainment! 43k miles

More pics here:
/show/
Old 11-29-2009, 01:03 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

Received 1,485 Likes on 1,049 Posts
Funny, I was just about to ask you what 7th gen Accords usually go for at auctions. How much did that particular car go for?

Looks great, sounds like the original buyer just walked up to the dealer and said "give me the most expensive 4-cylinder Accord you have."

Last edited by Aman; 11-29-2009 at 01:07 PM.
Old 11-29-2009, 09:59 PM
Senior Moderator

2001 BMW 525i with 27,800 miles on the clock.... It's a little dirty, needs some TLC, but it should clean up nicely...Also, can't go wrong with the miles!

Anyone?

I also took in a 2004 Accord LX V6 today but it got too dark to take pics. I'll snap a few tomorrow..
Old 11-29-2009, 11:03 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

Received 1,485 Likes on 1,049 Posts
Trade you for the Accord.

Quick Reply: :doh: Rookie mistake of the day...AKA Life and times at the dealer auctions