DIY window etching for insurance discount?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2006, 10:08 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
DIY window etching for insurance discount?

Has anyone done this? I just realized that there are DIY window etching kits out there for like $30.... (makes you wonder how dealers can charge your $200+ for what cost them $10 ). I want to get it for insurance discount, which is on avg a 5% discount that easily makes up for the cost of it...

Here's one site:

http://www.vinguard.org/

Supposedly you just do it and send the certificate to your insurance company and they'll apply the discount.
Old 05-08-2006, 10:22 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 223 Likes on 184 Posts
No car insurance co I ever had gave a discount for window etching? I always thought it was a dealer scam to make more $$. I mean really if someone steals you car the windows would likely get broken anyway & the VIN is stamped on most major parts of the car already.
Old 05-08-2006, 10:59 AM
Three Wheelin'

Well, the idea of window etching is to make it harder for the theifs to resell the stolen car as a whole or for parts, at least they would have to go through the risk of getting caught if they don't replace the windows... It doesn't add too much security IMO, but it is somewhat effective.

I think you only get a discount towards comprehensive coverage
Old 05-08-2006, 11:14 AM
'Big Daddy Diggler'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by supraken
Well, the idea of window etching is to make it harder for the theifs to resell the stolen car as a whole or for parts, at least they would have to go through the risk of getting caught if they don't replace the windows... It doesn't add too much security IMO, but it is somewhat effective.

I think you only get a discount towards comprehensive coverage
Please, all they have to do is get the $10 window etching kit from an arts and crafts store and etch over the factory vin. If done good, it would look like a blank rectangular etched block. Window etching is stupid and doesnt deter anything.
Old 05-08-2006, 12:11 PM
yeah i'm bored.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my dealer threw it in for free, but i believe i did get an additional discount from state farm for having it...not a bad deal for a $30 investment, as long as you don't shatter your glass

just call your insurance company and have them verify accepting this for a discount before you go messing around
Old 05-08-2006, 02:39 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by bigman
Please, all they have to do is get the $10 window etching kit from an arts and crafts store and etch over the factory vin. If done good, it would look like a blank rectangular etched block. Window etching is stupid and doesnt deter anything.

I think if you were going to buy a car and see a blank rectangular etched block on the car window, you would get suspicious, wouldn't you?? anyway, that was the IDEA of the thing anyway, whether it works or not I don't think any of us know for sure... It's like a car alarm, most car alarms are easy to disable.... just pull out the fender liner, release the hood cable, open hood, disconnect battery and it's silent. but is a car alarm effective, I think yes.... it reduces the likelihood of your car getting touched, thiefs would rather go for a car without these things in place. Why go through the trouble of taking the chance and go through the extra trouble when you can go to the next car without a car alarm or window etching to deal with?

Furthermore, for $20, you get a little added 'security' (really just another thing to give more trouble to potential theives), and some insurance discount...why not

Actually, I think I found out that you can take it to a NYC precinct that participates in the crime watch programs and get the window etching for free....I'm trying to find out for sure if this is true...
Old 05-08-2006, 03:35 PM
What Would Don Draper Do?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by agean
my dealer threw it in for free, but i believe i did get an additional discount from state farm for having it...not a bad deal for a $30 investment, as long as you don't shatter your glass

just call your insurance company and have them verify accepting this for a discount before you go messing around
yea i got mind for free too...but hmm, i need to check with state farm and see if i can get a discount too.
Old 05-09-2006, 12:26 AM
Boondocks fanatic.....

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bigman

I've never heard of any car thief who passed up breaking into/stealing a car because it had window etching. Waste of time and money.
Old 05-09-2006, 10:27 AM
go like hell

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
my wife has it on her 98 Contour.(only reason she has is because she has 9 or 10 points on her record so she does anything the insurance company says to save money since her rates are crazy). If it was me and the Insurance company offered 5% off coverage I'd go ahead and do it. Also spring the extra bucks and have either a body shop or dealer do it. we had a body shop do hers. it was like 25 bucks.
Old 05-09-2006, 10:37 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,662 Likes on 927 Posts
Originally Posted by fuzzy02CLS
No car insurance co I ever had gave a discount for window etching? I always thought it was a dealer scam to make more $$. I mean really if someone steals you car the windows would likely get broken anyway & the VIN is stamped on most major parts of the car already.
Indeed.