crazy Enzo crash on PCH today...

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2006, 10:10 PM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by srika
I think he's on our side, guy.

He said "oh no, here we go again " like he was saying I was wrong.
Old 02-21-2006, 10:14 PM
teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
Received 957 Likes on 328 Posts
Originally Posted by Pure Adrenaline
Every new vehicle that is for sale to the public goes through the same kind of crash test. The federal government requires 3 identical vehicles of that model for various tests. Ferrari is not exempt. They go through the same kind of tests as your everyday Chevy Impala.

In fact, do you know why the legendary Porsche 959 was not legal in the U.S.? Porsche did not want to give the NHTSA the three 959's for testing, because they were so expensive and rare. That was the only reason why it couldn't come stateside. You deny the federal government test vehicles, and they won't let you sell it in the U.S.

:
same w/ the mclaren, and also why the put the seat in the middle cause it could pass as a "motorcycle"
Old 02-21-2006, 11:07 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 10,262 Likes on 5,221 Posts
Also you're forgetting just how bad the impact was. Those accidents look pretty serious, and both times, it happened at high speeds. Compared to ordinary cars, these vehicles provide an outstanding level of safety.
You have to think about the severity of hitting something at 120 mph... that is CRAZY. Here's some reading on the topic... To be conscious, let alone ALIVE, after a car crash into a pole at ~120mph is pretty much a miracle...

More info at the link - specifically focus on the "3 Collisions", specifically the details about the 2nd collision:

http://www.sst-racing.com/seatbelt.htm

Why Everyone Should Wear a Seatbelt When Operating or Riding as a Passenger in a Motor Vehicle

It is the law.

There are however more important reasons for wearing seat belts than just that one alone. The number one reason should be for health and safety of you and your passengers. We will give you the basic understanding of seat belts, and some reasons for using seat belts.

To understand the forces involved in a crash it is first necessary to examine how much force an object experiences as it comes to a stop. Most people feel like 50 k/h as a relatively slow speed, and may imagine that crashes at that speed are minor. But look at the physics involved in a 50 k/h crash. A 50 k/h crash exerts about 20 G's of deceleration on the vehicle (i.e., 20 times the force of gravity). A 5 kg infant in a motor vehicle moving at 50 k/h will require at least 250 kgs of force to restrain the infant from moving forward.

Force = Body Weight x Speed

Force = 5 kgs x 50 k/h

Force = 250 kgs of restraining force is needed.

In every vehicle crash, there are actually three collisions that take place:

1. Vehicle collision(1st): When the vehicle collides with an object, such as another vehicle, a wall or tree.

2. Human collision(2nd): When the occupant moves toward the point of impact until stopped by a barrier. Unrestrained occupants collide with the interior of the vehicle, other occupants and or other unrestrained objects in the vehicle.

3. Internal collision(3rd): When the brain and internal organs move toward the point of impact, tearing connective tissue or being bruised by the collision with bones and other organs. An example of this would be the liver hitting the kidneys, or the brain hitting the front of the skull.

An injury is caused by the transfer of energy to body tissue, whether it is the energy of heat in a burn or the energy of mechanical force in a crash.

In the first collision [vehicle collision], the vehicle begins stopping as soon as it collides with a stationary object. From the time of impact, to a complete stop in a 50 k/h crash is about one-tenth of a second. As the vehicle slows, the front of the vehicle crushes, absorbing some of the energy of the impact. This known as "ride down". A properly restrained occupant can ride down the crash (stopping with the vehicle), experiencing about the same amount of force as the vehicle.

In the second collision [human collision], a restrained occupant decreases the chances of injury during this collision because the seat belts stretch during impact, which absorbs the energy of the impact, and restrains the occupant in their seat. Sometimes the safety belts can leave bruises and sores after the impact, but they are rarely severe. An unrestrained occupant on the other hand, continues to move toward the point of impact, even though the vehicle begins to stop once impact occurs. The unrestrained occupant finally encounters an outside force (the interior of the vehicle) about the time that the vehicle has come to a complete stop or is bouncing back. As the occupant collides with the interior of the vehicle, he or she decelerates from 50 k/h to a standstill in a few hundredths of a second, much faster than did the vehicle. The unrestrained occupant may experience over 100 G's of deceleration (compared to the vehicle's 20 G's). The more rigid the materials encountered and the rebound of the vehicle shorten the period of deceleration and generates higher G force. With only the occupant’s body to absorb the energy of the crash, the risk of injury is high. Ejection is very high as well.

In the third collision [internal collision], injuries could be very severe depending on the force of the impact. Even though the outer body may appear uninjured, the liver, spleen, kidneys and other organs may be torn, bruised and/or bleeding. Impacts to the head that do occur.may cause "closed head injuries" resulting from the soft tissue of the brain hitting the skull or being torn as the skull fractures. Any of these injuries may be difficult to detect immediately, yet they are often fatal.
Consider this - a crash at 10 MILES PER HOUR!!!:

http://news.carjunky.com/car_insuran...o_injury.shtml

Although tissue damage frequently occurs at the time of the accident, the “symptoms” may not show up right away. Mid 2003 tests reveal that when the front of a 3,500-pound car, traveling at only 10 miles per hour, strikes the rear of another vehicle, it can transmit a force of 25 tons to the motor vehicle it struck.
Some more reading, peculiarly comparable to our case. A brick wall <> a pole, but still:

http://www.zetatalk.com/info/tinfo09r.htm

Car Crash

Some factors to note: The G-force of a car crash is depending on stopping distance. This would be how many feet the car gets squashed, and how much the object that got run into, moves, or gets crunched. The following table would apply. Stopping "s" distance and amount of G-force experienced: If a car going 122 MPH hits a brick wall, and crunches the front of the car. Lets assume as a worst case the wall doesn't move, and the squash of the car distance summed with the amount of squash of the air bag to be 5 ft, then, the body on an average would feel 100 G-force. Actually I think it would start lower, and build up to more than this. This would be due to, harder to squash the last 1 ft, as compared to the first 1 ft.
Read the bottom of this link for some mathematical explanation - crashing a 3000 lb car into the rear of a 30K lb truck at only 10 mph will cause 3.33 g's to be exerted on the car.

http://www.e-z.net/~ts/physics.htm
Old 02-21-2006, 11:24 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alright dude. The car crashed into a power pole at around 120 mph - most likely at the side - if it was head-on or back-end-on, I think the damage would have reflected that. So given these circumstances, what, exactly, would have been better for it to do?
This car did it's job, I stated that in my post. I stated that I've seen other Ferrari's, even an Enzo with a monocoque shell, break at the passenger compartment.
Old 02-21-2006, 11:32 PM
Suzuka Master

Are you telling me that F1 cars (that's basically what the Enzo is) are not designed to break apart at impact? Only the cabin is supposed to remain intact, like a cocoon, to protect the driver. The rest of the car is designed to break apart on impact to dissipate the energy. Hell, they even use special spring-loaded screws so that they pop out in an impact.
The Enzo isn't close to an F1 car, but does use F1 derived technology trickeled down from F1.

Somthing like this would be safer, but isn't very practical for everday use.
Old 02-21-2006, 11:43 PM
We dont love these hoes

i remember this same discussion kinda, when danny heatley, i think he plays for the atlanta thrashers crashed that 360 spider and killed a teammate, the car split in the same way the enzo did.
Old 02-22-2006, 12:14 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Maximized
This car did it's job, I stated that in my post. I stated that I've seen other Ferrari's, even an Enzo with a monocoque shell, break at the passenger compartment.
ok you did... but you kept poking at it for some reason...

I think thats what got us all aggravated.

(the blanket statement is in jest)
Old 02-22-2006, 02:15 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by ilitig8
Oh I forgot, dibs on the engine, clean that puppy up and put it under glass. Would go well with my collection of F1 engine parts!
here's a piece of it.. it's a start.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=8040875409
Old 02-22-2006, 02:16 AM
Senior Moderator

About the owner of the car, Stefan Eriksson. Reports are saying he owned the SLR too, which was being driven by either his g/f or buddy. And, he also has a black Enzo.

http://www.tgdaily.com/2006/02/04/fast_cars/

http://www.ferrago.com/story/6791

This story appears to be quite the talk of the town, er intarweb... It's so interesting to watch stories like this unfold over days.. I mean it all started this morning with a "near-200 mph" crash...
Old 02-22-2006, 09:39 AM
'Big Daddy Diggler'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
So many damn enzo crahses. It sucks, but i think these people should put these things back in the garages. 30 years from now, we're all going to be wishing that enzo owners garaged their cars instead of wrecking them, when there are only a few left.
Old 02-22-2006, 10:49 AM
on to the next one...

About the owner of the car, Stefan Eriksson. Reports are saying he owned the SLR too, which was being driven by either his g/f or buddy. And, he also has a black Enzo.

http://www.tgdaily.com/2006/02/04/fast_cars/

http://www.ferrago.com/story/6791

This story appears to be quite the talk of the town, er intarweb... It's so interesting to watch stories like this unfold over days.. I mean it all started this morning with a "near-200 mph" crash...

OH, poor guy
Old 02-22-2006, 03:06 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by Maximized
Here is the pic. There was a thread that showed other Ferraris that split in the passenger compartment when this pic was posted.

I doubt they do as much safety testing as Ford, GM, Benz, or Volvo.
And most accidents that end up looking like this involve speed. Lets see a ford, gm, benz or volvo after the same type of accident. Ive seen volvos riped in half at speeds under 70 by poles.
Old 02-22-2006, 04:29 PM
Registered Big Dog

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
200mph on PCH

the speed limit is 45mph, theres only TWO LANES each way, and its HEAVILY patrolled by LAPD and CHP..... it is also twisty/bumpy in the malibu, palisades, santa monica area....

this guy is just plain insane to have been going 200 mph on PCH... lets think about this, imagine cruising at 45mph looking at the water when all of a sudden a car flies by you at more then three times your speed... meanwhile @ 6am there is plenty of traffic and people on PCH... including parked cars and people getting in and out of them extreemly close to the lanes of the street.

btw: i heard the driver was racing some kind of benz (prob an AMG) and apparently the "passenger" of the enzo who is also the owner claimed to not be driving, he claimed some german guy was driving his car and ran away (i think this is obviously a lie)
Old 02-22-2006, 04:34 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by CLean B
200mph on PCH

the speed limit is 45mph, theres only TWO LANES each way, and its HEAVILY patrolled by LAPD and CHP..... it is also twisty/bumpy in the malibu, palisades, santa monica area....

this guy is just plain insane to have been going 200 mph on PCH... lets think about this, imagine cruising at 45mph looking at the water when all of a sudden a car flies by you at more then three times your speed... meanwhile @ 6am there is plenty of traffic and people on PCH... including parked cars and people getting in and out of them extreemly close to the lanes of the street.

btw: i heard the driver was racing some kind of benz (prob an AMG) and apparently the "passenger" of the enzo who is also the owner claimed to not be driving, he claimed some german guy was driving his car and ran away (i think this is obviously a lie)
Do people even read the threads anymore before they post???
Old 02-22-2006, 04:39 PM
The Oracle of Acurazine!

Received 44 Likes on 12 Posts
^ Srikia posted that enzo and slr are owned by the passenger.

nevermind mclarenf3387 beat me to it.
Old 02-22-2006, 04:44 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
And most accidents that end up looking like this involve speed. Lets see a ford, gm, benz or volvo after the same type of accident. Ive seen volvos riped in half at speeds under 70 by poles.
I am not sure of the speed. but here is a pic of an SLR accident:

Even though Gordon Murray didn't have the final word and the SLR wasn't his best effort, he(and MB) does know how to build a very safe car. The McLaren F1 was a very safe vehicle. I saw a show on TLC or Speed on the design of the car which was very fascinating.
Old 02-22-2006, 04:56 PM
Senior Moderator

thanks, Jiatt
Old 02-22-2006, 05:33 PM
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
"The fact (is) that the passenger is the registered owner of the vehicle, from the Beverly Hills/Bel Air area; the passenger had blood on his mouth; and both airbags on the car deployed, but only the driver's side airbag had blood on it, not the passenger side," Brooks said.

HAHA! the idiot millionaire definitly moved from the driver's side of the car to the passenger's side. the passenger side had no blood while the driver's side did.

here's the article:
http://www.nbc4.tv/news/7292691/deta...subid=10101581
Old 02-22-2006, 10:17 PM
Senior Moderator

some news we already know but some new details... damn.. I would say this guy is doing OK for having a "failed" handheld gaming company - the company filed for bankruptcy in Q3 2005, reporting a net loss of $225 million.

http://www.thelocal.se/article.php?I...&date=20060222

Swedish games mogul smashes million dollar Ferrari

Published: 22nd February 2006 10:28 CET

A rare one-million-dollar Ferrari sports car belonging to a Swedish game industry mogul slammed into a pole during a high-speed street race on Tuesday, reducing it to scrap metal, US police said.

Police in the plush Los Angeles district of Malibu said the 2003 Ferrari Enzo, only 399 of which were ever made, was owned by Stefan Eriksson, 44, a controversial former executive of the failed handheld gaming company Gizmondo.

The driver lost control of the Ferrari at around dawn when it careened up an embankment, probably became airborne and then slammed into a pole, slicing the vehicle in half, police said.

Eriksson, who was slightly injured in the crash, told police he was a passenger in the vehicle and that the driver was a German man called Dietrich who had fled the scene, Los Angeles Sheriff's Department Sergeant Philip Brooks told AFP.

"Whoever was driving the Ferrari and a Mercedes came out to Malibu for a little race," Sheriff's Department Sergeant Philip Brooks said. "The other car racing was a (500,000-dollar) SLR Mercedes," he said.

Eriksson had a blood-alcohol level of 0.09, which is above the legal limit, Brooks said, adding that nobody had been arrested in connection with the crash but that officers were still seeking to identify the driver of the car.

"He's still considered as the passenger," Brooks said of Eriksson. "We're continuing our investigation. He's not in custody."

The red Ferrari Enzo, other examples of which are owned by such high-flyers as Oscar-winning movie star Nicolas Cage and US fashion designer Tommy Hilfiger, was speeding are more than 192 kilometers an hour (120 mph) when the crash occurred, Brooks said.

The impact sheared the red Italian sports car in two, separating the entire front section from the rest of the vehicle. The 650 horsepower car had a top speed of more than 360 kilometers (225 miles) per hour.

"For a million dollars, you get a very good passenger-safety system, and apparently, in this case, it did work," Brooks said.

Police determined that Eriksson was once an executive of the video game industry firm Gizmondo.

"He told us he is or was the head of Gizmondo," Brooks said, adding also that Eriksson had previously professionally raced Ferraris in Europe.

Internet records show that Eriksson was the executive officer of Gizmondo Europe -- a unit of a US company Tiger Telematics -- which developed games and a high-tech gaming console.

British press reports said Eriksson resigned in October last year after a Swedish newspaper claimed he was convicted in Sweden in the early 1990s for alleged involvement with a Swedish mafia outfit.

The company filed for bankruptcy in Britain last month after reporting a net loss of 140 million pounds (225 million dollars) for the third quarter of 2005 on sales of 1.4 million pounds.
Old 02-23-2006, 12:12 AM
teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
News just said a bank from sweaden called the department and said they had repoed the car already and didn't know how he got it.

Also state, ferrari called and said there is a black box in the car that will tell how fast he was going.
Old 02-23-2006, 12:29 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by CLpower
News just said a bank from sweaden called the department and said they had repoed the car already and didn't know how he got it.
well that explains the failed company... so the car was basically stolen... and he was drunk... wow... h8ing life.

Also state, ferrari called and said there is a black box in the car that will tell how fast he was going.
looks like there will be a lot more to this story...
Old 02-23-2006, 09:05 AM
teh Senior Instigator

well, they still confirm that at this time he was just the passenger
Old 02-23-2006, 09:59 AM

My stepfather grew up in Sweden, I had no idea there was a swedish mafia

That gizmondo gadget is like psp it has gps and all the same goodies a psp does.

I guess this is what happens when the mob gets involved with a corporation.

I retract my comment about daddy being pissed lol. Obviously this guy is made and thats why he can do shit like this.
Old 02-24-2006, 10:34 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,776 Likes on 13,968 Posts

The parts are on eBay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=8040875409

The Q&A is worth a chuckle :

Q: Why would anybody want this crap? SRT-4 can smoke Enzo easily. In fact, SRT-4 is the fastAr.
Feb-23-06
A: Never smoked an Enzo. How do you roll it?

Q: my wife owns a mustang and wants to know if this hose will improve her top end speed or maybe even cornering im thinking its good for at least 30 hp your...more
Feb-23-06
A: I will not discuss your wife's top end.

Q: A hose selling for 100x it's value, Brilliant! Please post the military spec version next...
Feb-23-06
A: See how much people will pay for a $20 gold coin

Q: If I win the bid on this hosed action, and add it to my favorite pasta recipe, will I be able to speak Italian after dinner? Or will I just feel like shopping...more
Feb-23-06
A: Your call, but it looks suspiciously like a colostomy tube. Buyer beware.

Q: I am from the Sheriff department, we want the hose back. We are planning to beat Stefan with it to see if he was driving the car.
Feb-23-06
A: Nice try, cupcake. I told the Sheriff and he said they didn't want it back. Liar, Liar
Old 02-24-2006, 11:06 AM
Floyd Mayweather Jr.

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Ebay
Old 02-24-2006, 11:36 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Black CL-S 4-Life
Ebay
gotta love eBay!

btw, i give the guy megaprops for actually driving the car, since many owners most likely keep Enzos as Garage Queens.
Old 02-24-2006, 11:36 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Yumchah

The parts are on eBay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=8040875409

The Q&A is worth a chuckle :

Q: Why would anybody want this crap? SRT-4 can smoke Enzo easily. In fact, SRT-4 is the fastAr.
Feb-23-06
A: Never smoked an Enzo. How do you roll it?

Q: my wife owns a mustang and wants to know if this hose will improve her top end speed or maybe even cornering im thinking its good for at least 30 hp your...more
Feb-23-06
A: I will not discuss your wife's top end.

Q: A hose selling for 100x it's value, Brilliant! Please post the military spec version next...
Feb-23-06
A: See how much people will pay for a $20 gold coin

Q: If I win the bid on this hosed action, and add it to my favorite pasta recipe, will I be able to speak Italian after dinner? Or will I just feel like shopping...more
Feb-23-06
A: Your call, but it looks suspiciously like a colostomy tube. Buyer beware.

Q: I am from the Sheriff department, we want the hose back. We are planning to beat Stefan with it to see if he was driving the car.
Feb-23-06
A: Nice try, cupcake. I told the Sheriff and he said they didn't want it back. Liar, Liar
Old 02-24-2006, 11:38 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by vishnus11
gotta love eBay!

btw, i give the guy megaprops for actually driving the car, since many owners most likely keep Enzos as Garage Queens.
Driving his car until he smashed it...? That's not driving bud...that's stupidity.

I'd drive a car but not to the point where I'm a risk to others and myself...
Old 02-24-2006, 11:45 AM
Senior Moderator

yea... no guy driving a repo'ed Enzo at 120 mph while drunk gets any props of any kind, srry. "megaprops" are definitely out of the question. :troutslap
Old 02-24-2006, 12:00 PM
teh Senior Instigator

reports from the news now confirm he was going a minimum of 162 (figure that's the info they got off the black box)

This guy has landed in a pile of shit, reports now show he was connected to some counterfeit money making, and a few other fishy things
Old 02-24-2006, 12:04 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by CLpower
reports from the news now confirm he was going a minimum of 162 (figure that's the info they got off the black box)

This guy has landed in a pile of shit, reports now show he was connected to some counterfeit money making, and a few other fishy things
Nice. What a way to get a cover blown too...

Get drunk.
Drive the "unearned" megacar to its death.

Old 02-24-2006, 01:14 PM
Senior Moderator

162!! now that's more like it. srry but 120 in an Enzo is kinda weak.

give us a NUMBER TO TALK ABOUT!!!
Old 02-24-2006, 02:25 PM
Floyd Mayweather Jr.

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
162!! now that's more like it. srry but 120 in an Enzo is kinda weak.

give us a NUMBER TO TALK ABOUT!!!
162?? That's it? The Enzo was just stretching its legs.
Old 02-24-2006, 02:30 PM
We dont love these hoes

youve gotta be a dumb motherfucker to crash an enzo at 160
Old 02-24-2006, 03:24 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Black CL-S 4-Life
162?? That's it? The Enzo was just stretching its legs.
true, but its better than "120"
Old 02-24-2006, 03:25 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Sdog2012
youve gotta be a dumb motherfucker to crash an enzo at 160
and/or drunk...
Old 02-24-2006, 06:20 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
yea... no guy driving a repo'ed Enzo at 120 mph while drunk gets any props of any kind, srry. "megaprops" are definitely out of the question. :troutslap
haha, true. I guess I appreciate the fact that he actually DRIVES the thing and probes its limits - problem is/was he did it on a public road, WHILE he was intoxicated.

but heck yea, 162 sounds more like it. The thing is though, there's NO way in hell he hit the pole going 162. The car would have been obliterated. Goin up hill definetely helped him lose some speed as did hitting the pole at some kind of weird angle.

(Trust me, I would know about poles: nailed one about a year ago after my brakes went out! )
Old 02-28-2006, 03:00 PM
Senior Moderator

just when you think you heard it all...

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la...84.story?coll=

The Plot Thickens in Ferrari Crash

A gun's magazine found near the wreckage may be connected to the accident, and a Scottish bank says it might own the destroyed car.

By Richard Winton and David Pierson, Times Staff Writers

February 28 2006

The mystery deepened Monday in the case of the puzzling crash last week of a $1-million Ferrari Enzo on Pacific Coast Highway in Malibu.

Sheriff's detectives said Monday that they believe a gun's magazine discovered near the wreckage is connected to the crash, and they plan to interview an unnamed person who they believe was in the car with Swedish game machine entrepreneur Stefan Eriksson.

The crash has also garnered the attention of a leading Scottish bank, which has informed sheriff's investigators that it may own the destroyed car. At the same time, detectives are trying to figure out why another exotic car in Eriksson's extensive collection, a Mercedes SLR, was listed as stolen by Scotland Yard in London, said Sheriff's Sgt. Phil Brooks.

The totaled Ferrari was one of two Enzos that Eriksson brought into the United States from England along with the Mercedes SLR, Brooks said. But detectives concluded that the totaled vehicle did not have appropriate papers and was not "street legal" for driving in California, he said.

Detectives have been trying for nearly a week to sort out what exactly happened last Tuesday morning when Eriksson's Enzo — one of only 400 ever made — smashed into a telephone pole, totaling the car. Eriksson told deputies that he was the passenger and that a man he knew only as "Dietrich" was behind the wheel. But detectives have been openly skeptical of the story, noting that Eriksson had a bloody lip and that the only blood they found in the car was on the driver's-side air bag.

Brooks said detectives have called in Eriksson for another interview. Eriksson has declined through the security guard at his gated Bel-Air estate to comment. An attorney who has previously represented Eriksson in civil matters, Ashley Posner, also declined to comment Monday.

But some city leaders in Malibu, where the crash has been the talk of the town, were less circumspect.

"The guy should have had an IQ test," said Malibu Mayor Pro Tem Ken Kearsley, who has been following the coverage of the crash with a half-grin. The driver's IQ "couldn't come up above 60 if he was doing 120 on PCH," Kearsley said.

But in fact, Brooks said Monday, the car was traveling 162 mph when it crashed, far faster than the 120 mph originally believed. The Ferrari, with just a few inches of undercarriage clearance, hit a bump at a crest in the road, sending the vehicle airborne and into the power pole, Brooks said.

Brooks said they are investigating whether someone else may have been present and are trying to determine whether the recovered gun component is connected to the case. He declined to say more about the find or elaborate on the status of the Scottish bank and Scotland Yard in the case.

The question of whether Eriksson was the driver is key to the case, Brooks said. Eriksson's blood-alcohol level was 0.09%, higher than the legal limit for operating a motor vehicle.

Sheriff's officials are still trying to confirm witness reports that the Ferrari might have been drag racing with another car, and officials aren't sure if that's what happened.

Sheriff's officials said Eriksson was an executive with a game company that attempted to take on Sony and Nintendo, but the firm collapsed last year.

In Malibu, officials said they are not sure what to make of the accident.

Kearsley said the stretch of road was not known for drag racing, but for run-of-the-mill speeders. He said the Sheriff's Department has had success for the last year and a half using radar and lasers to catch overzealous drivers. The lasers are not detectable to drivers, he said.

"It's straight as an arrow where the accident was," he said. "You really have to go out of your way to hit a telephone pole."

Carol Moss, a longtime Malibu resident, activist and meditation group leader, said the accident came as no surprise.

"It was horrendous, but Malibu is full of idiots," she said. "There are a lot of wild cars and irresponsible people. The roads are dangerous. You always see people with those sorts of cars. You see some wild behavior."

But, in keeping with her Zen frame of mind, Moss extended an olive branch. "Everyone is welcome to attend the meditation group. Even the drag racer."
Old 02-28-2006, 04:44 PM
on to the next one...

LOL at the
Old 02-28-2006, 04:49 PM
Senior Moderator

here are (were) Stefan Eriksson's Enzos...

that's him in the black.

Quick Reply: crazy Enzo crash on PCH today...