Comptech Icebox Issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2005, 04:49 PM
Where is my super sauce?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Comptech Icebox Issue

An FYI for those of you with the Comptech Icebox CAI.

I just washed my car and did a quick underhood inspection and noticed that the resonator on the intake had dropped off. I have no idea if this just happened as I was looking around or has been like this for months...but given that I check around every month or so, hopefully it hasn't been off too long.

The resonator lookes like a one quart oil jug that hangs off the larger plastic pipe between the filter and the throttle body. The issue is that if it's off, you have a large hole in the intake tubing just in front of the throttle body and behind the filter. Unfiltered air can come in and dirty your engine. I didn't notice any unusual noises or hums from my engine recently...makes me wonder if the resonator is really needed.

My throttle body was pristine and there was no dirt residue in the piping ahead of it...I think I caught the problem relatively early.

That resonator just pops into a male fitting on the plastic pipe. I'm going to buy some super glue and glue it in so I don't have to worry about this again.

MODS- feel free to move this to the appropriate forum. I thought Car Talk made sense as this issue probably affects all Comptech Iceboxes for J32 engines.
Old 12-26-2005, 06:35 PM
I need 2 more gears

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
there is a steel clamp the secures that resonator to the intake tube. So the icebox has this resonator also? It sounds like the same as the stock intake.
Old 12-26-2005, 08:59 PM
Where is my super sauce?

Small resonator on the pipe that connects to the throttle body -- not the same as the OEM resonator below the filter box.
Old 12-26-2005, 09:45 PM
I need 2 more gears

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
if it serves only as a resonator then remove it and plug hole with a composite rubber and you should get a nicer sound from your intake.
Old 12-26-2005, 10:20 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
Mr. Slimey, I'm not sure if all CT iceboxes have this... Might just be a CLS 6spd thing

<=== still stock
Old 12-26-2005, 10:23 PM
Team Owner

Received 249 Likes on 175 Posts
I'll check mine in the morning before work. My Icebox is only a month old. The resonator isn't needed really but you are correct about the potential for unfiltered air/dirt/water/etc entering the throttle body and intake manifold.

Did you contact Comptech?
Old 12-26-2005, 10:25 PM
Where is my super sauce?

Originally Posted by mrsteve
I'll check mine in the morning before work. My Icebox is only a month old. The resonator isn't needed really but you are correct about the potential for unfiltered air/dirt/water/etc entering the throttle body and intake manifold.

Did you contact Comptech?
I'm shooting off an email tonight.
Old 12-26-2005, 10:29 PM
Team Owner

If you're under warranty they'll send you new plumbing including the attached resonator.

They are well aware of several issues with our Icebox.

If you want a replacement though an email isn't gonna cut it. Unfortunately they suck at email. A quick phone call is required.
Old 12-26-2005, 10:40 PM
Where is my super sauce?

If you're under warranty they'll send you new plumbing including the attached resonator.

They are well aware of several issues with our Icebox.

If you want a replacement though an email isn't gonna cut it. Unfortunately they suck at email. A quick phone call is required.
Good info & thanks -- I'll call if they don't answer email in 24 hours.
Old 12-26-2005, 10:50 PM
Team Owner

FYI another thing to look out for is on the older design the 3 screws to the lid would strip out and then get stuck into the base which required you to take a flat-head screwdriver to pry the lid off in order to access the filter. This issue has been rectified though. Revised units have a different type of screw.
Old 12-26-2005, 11:07 PM
Where is my super sauce?

FYI another thing to look out for is on the older design the 3 screws to the lid would strip out and then get stuck into the base which required you to take a flat-head screwdriver to pry the lid off in order to access the filter. This issue has been rectified though. Revised units have a different type of screw.
I think I was the first to report that issue a long time ago! I had to Dremel the screw head off to get the sucker open as the retaining nut stripped in its plastic mold.

We'll see how Comptech handles this. I'm sure I'm out of warranty as I've had the thing for over two years, but this is obviously a problem with design as opposed to other defect.
Old 12-26-2005, 11:10 PM
Team Owner

Yep that's the problem! Happened to me on my first car. When I took the supercharger off my 6-Speed I purchased a new Icebox to install and I noticed the change in design. The retaiing nuts are metal (brass maybel?) now instead of plastic.