Coilovers vs. Springs

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2007 | 11:33 PM
Banned

Coilovers vs. Springs

I'll make this quick:

- I want to lower my IS just a little bit, just to get rid of that little bit of gap
- I searched for "springs", "coilovers", and "springs coilovers" and didn't find a thread asking what I'm asking
- I don't know jack about suspension other than what its function is

Can you guys & gals tell me what you know, in real-world terms, what the differences, pros, & cons are with springs & coilovers? All I know is that they both can give you drops & the coilovers are somehow adjustable. That's about all the non-marketing info. I've been able to get so far.
Old 09-18-2007 | 12:07 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by oonowindoo
wouldnt u find more info on lexus forum?? )
Easy answer:

If you track your car , you probably wanna go coilovers since you need to adjust height and damper for tracking and street according to your needs. ( from your tone, you probably dont track you car and most of them ppl THINK it is better to have adjustability but in fact, they never adjust, once it is set)

Springs: if you just want the lowered look with somewhat improved handling. ( you will need to change your stock shocks sooner or later with aftermarket spring
Old 09-18-2007 | 02:39 AM

A good coilover set will almost always cost more than a good set of springs and shocks. And a good coilover set will almost always yield a better ride and better handling than a good set of springs + shocks.

....but the main issue is cost. A good coilover set will be upwards of $1,000 usually.
Old 09-18-2007 | 03:33 AM
Drifting

coilovers are a threaded body with a spring and shock usually already assembled, and usually designed as a system to work together. usually both height and stiffness adjustable. If you really want to dump your car too, usually it's hard to find springs that will drop more than 2", so some people just buy coilovers to get like 4" of drop. They sometimes will also provide a new top mount or camber plate, on the top of the shock tower, but some coilovers still require you to use your stock top mount.

spring/shock combinations are still usually "coilover" design, in that the coil spring goes around the shock, but they just lack the threaded body that is required height adjustment. And you can mix and match your spring and shock. Some aftermarket shocks have stiffness adjustments, and other don't. There are also springs w/ a threaded collar for height adjustment but those are usually peices of crap.

It sounds like you'd be more suited for springs if you just want a little drop and don't care about changing your ride height, i'm not even sure if you need to upgrade the shocks. although usually it's a good idea because stock shocks aren't meant to be under constant compression.

probably a lot more information out there, especially when you get into cars that don't have "coilover" style suspension, and the whole spring rates, pre-load, corner balance ,etc stuff that you can adjust w/ coilovers.

Last edited by Osamu; 09-18-2007 at 03:37 AM.
Old 09-18-2007 | 07:31 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Springs = looks
Coilovers = function

However springs can give you a slight improvement in handling and response, some springs can have a negative effect on handling and response
Old 09-18-2007 | 07:53 AM
Banned

Thanks, guys...that's exactly the kind of response I was hoping for. No, oonowindoo, I don't think I could find more or better info on one of the Lexus websites ...they're nowhere near as car-savvy as you guys. All I'd get would be "Get the most expensive coilovers you can find...it's a Lexus!!" or "don't modify your car...it's a Lexus."

I think I'm going to go with a set of good springs, from what you all have told me. I don't track my car at all and yes, I do just want it for looks. I only want about an inch of drop, so I won't want to adjust the height or anything. The only thing I'm worried about with that is the ride quality afterwards...
Old 09-18-2007 | 08:31 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Whatever you do, do not get Tein S Techs... As long as you get springs with slightly stiffer rates than stock you should be happy
Old 09-18-2007 | 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by FiftyFive
Whatever you do, do not get Tein S Techs... As long as you get springs with slightly stiffer rates than stock you should be happy
Why not? Not a Tein fanboy or anything, but did you have em on your TL or something?
Old 09-18-2007 | 08:42 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by I Go To Costco
Why not? Not a Tein fanboy or anything, but did you have em on your TL or something?
Their spring rates are horrible. They tend to soften it up while lowering the car decreasing handling alot!
Old 09-18-2007 | 08:45 AM
Time to Climb

tein h techs for a minor drop (+/- 1") if you need to go lower, expect to buy a set of shocks to match in the future. i have no need for coilover on my tsx, thus i'm selling them. for me, a suitable spring/shock combo is all i'll ever need (and its cheapper too)
Old 09-18-2007 | 09:40 AM
Senior Moderator

sometimes spings won't yield the drop you want or the gap won't be even between front and back. Coilovers let you adjust height so you can get it, juuuuuuust riiiiiiiiiiight
Old 09-18-2007 | 09:43 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by cTLgo
sometimes spings won't yield the drop you want or the gap won't be even between front and back. Coilovers let you adjust height so you can get it, juuuuuuust riiiiiiiiiiight
Sala, coilovers are not made so that you can get the exact drop you want. They are made so you can optimize your handling performance for different tracks and courses. Its just that many people get coilovers so they can get a custom ride height when in fact if the suspension isnt set up properly it can hinder performance.
Old 09-18-2007 | 10:52 AM
fap fap fap

if you're only looking to drop 1" i wouldnt bother replacing the shocks
Old 09-18-2007 | 03:36 PM
Suzuka Master

I learned the hard way. Lowering springs require different shocks/struts. I put Eibach springs on stock KYB struts and the struts wore out in a little over a year. Almost all brands make spring/shock combos now, but you can always mix-and-match. Like everybody said, coilovers are usless if you set it and forget it
Old 09-18-2007 | 03:41 PM
Just dial 1911

Originally Posted by pebecl97
I learned the hard way. Lowering springs require different shocks/struts. I put Eibach springs on stock KYB struts and the struts wore out in a little over a year. Almost all brands make spring/shock combos now, but you can always mix-and-match. Like everybody said, coilovers are usless if you set it and forget it
Not always. The Tanabe NF210's are rated only 5% stiffer then stock. I've had them on my wife's 06 Accord for over a year now with no signs of stock strut failure.

Looks like they make them for all the IS models:

http://www.tanabe-usa.com/springs/sp...tions.asp?id=2

Last edited by joerockt; 09-18-2007 at 03:44 PM.
Old 09-18-2007 | 06:21 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Tanabe is one of the better springs out there, along with Elisper and Hotchkis
Old 09-18-2007 | 07:02 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by joerockt
Not always. The Tanabe NF210's are rated only 5% stiffer then stock. I've had them on my wife's 06 Accord for over a year now with no signs of stock strut failure.

Looks like they make them for all the IS models:

http://www.tanabe-usa.com/springs/sp...tions.asp?id=2

well, after reading all the responses thus far, I do believe I'll go with just springs instead of coilovers - the coilovers, again, seem to be a waste of money b/c I will definitely set it & forget it [sounds like an infomercial].

The only thing I'm still hung up on is whether to get new shocks. Is there a range of drops wherein new shocks would be necessary - say 1.5" or more? I'm wanting to lower just about an inch F/R. If I do lower 1" w/o replacing the shocks, will the ride suffer enough to notice? One of the reasons I bought this car is that it drives like a stick of warm butter compared to even the TL that I had.
Old 09-18-2007 | 07:28 PM
Senior Moderator

Its so hard to find springs to match up with shocks. After many suspension setups i learned to just do it right the first time and buy coilovers.

Your lower back will thank you.
Old 09-18-2007 | 08:02 PM
F1 cart racer

re, the IS's current suspension is already a coil over suspension. what u can do is just replace the springs with the current springs in the car, and you will receive that nice drop with out too much of a ride change but increased handling.

coilovers give the flexibility of adjusting the ride height and in some cases with the TIEN TEAS system also have an active damper control. which is available for our cars. or is it tanabe???? i can't remember, i'm sick and feel like i'm going to die.

and btw i hate u :-), i want coilovers for my IS but nothing is out for the AWD yet, i want them for the adjust ability so i can bring the car back up to ride height for the winter and also their functionality as well as a nice setup.

hope that helped, and drop it