Buying a mid-sized SUV

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2014, 01:02 PM
Safety Car

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Thumbs up Buying a mid-sized SUV

Yay, finally get to create one of these threads!

My G is finally too small for our growing family, and I'm thinking of getting a mid-sized SUV. As I started researching though the number of features and capabilities available nowadays is DAUNTING. I'm going for the initial test drives this weekend, but I wanted to gather thoughts and suggestions on the following list:

2014 MDX (either tech or advance)
2014 Grand Cherokee (summit)
2013 or 2014 JX35/QX60
2012 used X5
2013 or 2012 RX350

I'm really strongly leaning towards the MDX or the JGC, but I promised myself I'd do a thorough job researching and driving the cars (last couple of times I fell in love with the cars after the first drive, and didn't do comparisons ). I'm afraid of driving the X5 and loving it, given the cost of maintenance and repairs (JGC has reliability issues as well, but I was contemplating getting the MaxCare warranty with it, if I chose to go down that route)

Anyone cross-shop these cars before? Thoughts?
Old 05-09-2014, 01:11 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 719 Likes on 201 Posts
I have a 2012 MDX and also a 2014 Mazda CX5. If the CX5 isn't too small for you, it's awesome. It drives like a car, good cargo space, great technology (if you get the GT model), stylish, and peppy. The MDX is too much of a boat. If handling and performance matter, I would leaning more toward an X5. If you want the lux and Japanese reliability, go with the MDX.
The following users liked this post:
bkknight369 (05-10-2014)
Old 05-09-2014, 01:21 PM
brahs be jelly

Received 247 Likes on 169 Posts
I'm reading about transmission and HVAC issues with the '14 GC.

If you're selling the car in 4 years -> X5 w/warranty
If you're keeping it longer than that -> MDX

I want to like the 14 4Runner which has a very strong frame and will last forever with basic maintenance, but it needs a 6AT, and the vents by the fogs look stupid unless you get a dark color.

Then at $50k there is the LR4 and Lexus GX.

Last edited by MTEAZY; 05-09-2014 at 01:29 PM.
bkknight369 (05-10-2014)
Old 05-09-2014, 01:42 PM
Stage 1 Audi S5

Received 1,157 Likes on 682 Posts
I really love the Jeep GC (based on looks alone) but the RX is nice if you want a basic but very well finished interior and floaty, boat ride. My mom loves hers and while it is really nice inside, nothing too exciting.

Bunch of friends have X5's and I love driving them, super sporty, and love the look but based on their experiences, you NEED a warranty. I love my FX and the reliability has been fantastic but the back isn't the biggest but have you looked at them? I feel the ride is closest to the X5 and not as big and blah as the JX.

Gf was down to an SRX (weird choice to me but very nice inside) and the Edge, she bought the Edge due to the wide A pillars that she hated in the SRX. It has been a great car and pretty nice inside, nothing special outside but something to look at, if you are ok w/o a bmw/lexus, etc name plate. She hated the boat feel of the RX and was worried about reliability of the Jeep.
bkknight369 (05-10-2014)
Old 05-09-2014, 01:45 PM
I drive a Subata.

Received 2,603 Likes on 1,571 Posts
Don't know what your budget is, but my coworker just got a Lexus GX for $49k. It's super nice.
bkknight369 (05-10-2014)
Old 05-09-2014, 03:18 PM
The Third Ball

Received 4,824 Likes on 2,571 Posts
Cant beat the Jeep GC.

Its not on your list but the Caddy SRX is also very nice. My mom likes hers better than her last 3 generations of RX's.
bkknight369 (05-10-2014)
Old 05-09-2014, 05:01 PM

Received 5,292 Likes on 3,626 Posts
We test drove the CX5 last weekend. My wife really liked that it drives like a car wit hthe height & space of a S(C)UV.
It's likely that she'll get the new car when we get there, as 2 car seats don't really fit in the back seat of a Civic (hers) & my TL is needing repairs on a seemingly constant basis.

Hoping she leans to the CX5 over some of the competition. I really liked it, from a passenger perspective. Lots of space for out 2.5 yr old in the back as well.
bkknight369 (05-10-2014)
Old 05-09-2014, 06:29 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Grand Cherokee
bkknight369 (05-10-2014)
Old 05-10-2014, 01:11 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by synth19
I have a 2012 MDX and also a 2014 Mazda CX5. If the CX5 isn't too small for you, it's awesome. It drives like a car, good cargo space, great technology (if you get the GT model), stylish, and peppy. The MDX is too much of a boat. If handling and performance matter, I would leaning more toward an X5. If you want the lux and Japanese reliability, go with the MDX.
Good feedback about the MDX...have you driven a '14? I've heard that the weightloss has been effective for the driving dynamics. I'll look into the CX5, though I suspect I want something with slightly more space (comfortable for 5 adults on a long trip).
Old 05-10-2014, 01:13 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by MTEAZY
I'm reading about transmission and HVAC issues with the '14 GC.

If you're selling the car in 4 years -> X5 w/warranty
If you're keeping it longer than that -> MDX

I want to like the 14 4Runner which has a very strong frame and will last forever with basic maintenance, but it needs a 6AT, and the vents by the fogs look stupid unless you get a dark color.

Then at $50k there is the LR4 and Lexus GX.
heard about the reliability issues, and that is strong consideration...then again the Chrysler maxcare lifetime warranty can be had for $2k. Still being stuck on a highway due to transmission issues sounds scary
Old 05-10-2014, 01:15 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by 1StGenCL
I really love the Jeep GC (based on looks alone) but the RX is nice if you want a basic but very well finished interior and floaty, boat ride. My mom loves hers and while it is really nice inside, nothing too exciting.

Bunch of friends have X5's and I love driving them, super sporty, and love the look but based on their experiences, you NEED a warranty. I love my FX and the reliability has been fantastic but the back isn't the biggest but have you looked at them? I feel the ride is closest to the X5 and not as big and blah as the JX.

Gf was down to an SRX (weird choice to me but very nice inside) and the Edge, she bought the Edge due to the wide A pillars that she hated in the SRX. It has been a great car and pretty nice inside, nothing special outside but something to look at, if you are ok w/o a bmw/lexus, etc name plate. She hated the boat feel of the RX and was worried about reliability of the Jeep.
I'm actually a fan of the RX, but even my wife mentioned that it such a cliché vehicle
Old 05-10-2014, 01:16 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by JS + BRZ
Don't know what your budget is, but my coworker just got a Lexus GX for $49k. It's super nice.
I'm thinking that the GX may be too big for my garage, but I'll try to check one out tomorrow at the dealership just in case
Old 05-10-2014, 01:17 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Sarlacc
Cant beat the Jeep GC.

Its not on your list but the Caddy SRX is also very nice. My mom likes hers better than her last 3 generations of RX's.
I LOVE LOVE LOVE the redesigned GC, inside and out. I'm hoping I absolutely love it during the drive. The only concern I have (asides from reliability) is reports of how hard the seats are...my wife has back problems (she can't sit in my G as a result)

How does your mom like the CUE system? I've heard mixed things about it
Old 05-10-2014, 11:42 PM
Advanced

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts
I purchased a 2014 MDX a few months ago and LOVE it! My garage houses three Acuras now so I could be biased . People come up to me all the time to ask about the MDX and give positive comments. I am not big on american cars but cross shopped the Infinity, BMW, and Lexus. My parents owned a new X5 years ago and were ridden of it before the warranty expired. It is a performance vehicle so it needs performance vehicle maintenance but just became daunting. In under 40,000 miles it needed the following: new radiator, thermostat, water pump, HID bulbs, engine gaskets, and a horn . They loved the car's dynamics but it got out of control. I test drove new X5 models and could not get the sour taste out of my mouth. The Lexus RX is just too boring for me even though the ride quality is fantastic. The Infinity models are good contenders but the designs remind me of a large whale... Definitely do comparisons because it will assure you that the right decision was made.
Old 05-11-2014, 01:26 AM
The Third Ball

Received 4,824 Likes on 2,571 Posts
Originally Posted by bkknight369
I LOVE LOVE LOVE the redesigned GC, inside and out. I'm hoping I absolutely love it during the drive. The only concern I have (asides from reliability) is reports of how hard the seats are...my wife has back problems (she can't sit in my G as a result)

How does your mom like the CUE system? I've heard mixed things about it
A lot of people complain about the CUE...she actually prefers it to the Lexus (weird I know)...she likes having the touch screen...she did not like the Lexus mouse in her last RX.

I used it last month when I was home for a quick trip. Its not bad...no worse than my highlander or any other touch screen system I've used. I do like that it gives tactile feedback.
Old 05-11-2014, 01:38 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,328 Likes on 1,308 Posts
We purchased a '13 MDX tech today
Old 05-11-2014, 06:18 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
^^^^^
My god! An AZ mod who's an actual current Acura owner! j/k Congrats. Working on it myself.....if only the hybrid RLX ever is released....
Old 05-11-2014, 07:29 AM
I'm Craig

Received 299 Likes on 207 Posts
FWIW, you can get a new Merc ML in the low $50s, decently equipped. My mom has one and loves it. Not really as large as you'd think either. Drives well.
Old 05-11-2014, 09:58 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 64 Likes on 35 Posts
The 2014 Toyota Highlander is actually pretty damn nice, especially in the limited trim. We test drove an XLE and it shocked us at how Lexus like it was. Fit, finish, as well as the NVH were all top notch. I am not sure if it is too big for your needs though.
Old 05-11-2014, 11:40 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Ken1997TL
We purchased a '13 MDX tech today
Congrats! My fried has one as well, its a beautiful car
Old 05-11-2014, 11:42 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by cjTL
FWIW, you can get a new Merc ML in the low $50s, decently equipped. My mom has one and loves it. Not really as large as you'd think either. Drives well.
Yep considered the ML. In the end I'd have to sacrifice sone creature comforts to get in my price range, but I may end up driving one just in case
Old 05-11-2014, 12:25 PM
Currently Post-Acura

Received 125 Likes on 88 Posts
Customers at my job are buying QX60s like crazy, someone yesterday was considering downsizing from her QX56. I've had to drive one an hour to a customer for a broker deal and it was a really nice, comfortable ride. CVT wasn't half bad, and in Sport it acts like a regular automatic shifting. I actually wasn't impressed with the ML lease return I drove back. One customer actually went from an MDX to one and said her friend with an ending MDX lease was planning to do the same. Also rode in a new Pathfinder that is essentially the same as the QX60, but I didn't like the interior as much. Options depend on your budget, since a base one starts at $45k (comes standard with leather, backup camera, etc.) and fully loaded is about $58k. Although the latter would have Theater Package, Tech Package (Driver Aids), and Deluxe Touring (20" wheels, ventilated seats, and some other little things). My choice for value would be with Premium Plus package so you get Bose, Around View, remote start, driver memory, nag, and other stuff (which goes on top of having the Premium package).
Old 05-11-2014, 07:18 PM
Advanced

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts
Reliability issues seems to be all I hear/read about the JGC. It drives nice and I love the styling but knowing that it is high risk for repairs is enough to avoid it, regardless of warranty.

The MDX is topping my list as of late, followed by the Highlander, RDX and Q5. Infiniti/Nissan does nothing for me except for the massive QX56/80. For whatever reason, I dig the hippo look. Price is out of my range though.
Old 05-11-2014, 08:08 PM
Off roading in his

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
As much as I liked my moms 2012 MDX, I love my GC Limited a lot more. Yes, there are threads on Jeep forums regarding the reliability, but most forums have threads like that. To me - the technology that is packed in the GC, was not matched by any other car. I live the 8.4" screen and the digital speedo gauge. Mine also has the Lux 2 package - which the Summit comes standard with, and I enjoy all the things it comes with tremendously.

Is there a reason why you're looking at the Summit over the Overland?
Sarlacc (05-11-2014)
Old 05-11-2014, 11:17 PM
Safety Car

Test driven!

Had a long and exhausting (but fun) day of test drives today. Some highlights:

JGC is more aggressive in person than in the pics--overall love the exterior. Seats aren't as soft as I would prefer, but still pretty comfy, with plenty of adjustibility (especially love the moving lumbar support). Rear space is excellent, but it felt like the seats weren't high enough. Infotainment was great, very easy to use. I was surprised by how powerful and responsive the V6 was, very easy to drive, and absorbed the bumps like a champ. I heard a heavy amount of wind noise though.

I was surprised by how much I didn't like the RX350. Seats were very comfortable, but the driving dynamics were pretty plain-jane, and the car wasn't as quiet as some of the others. HATED the mouse-based infotainment, I felt it is not precise enough

The BMW dealership only had a 2011 xdrive50 (I wanted to drive a 35). As much as I hate to admit it, the truck is too powerful for our needs. While the V8 growl was intoxicating, the ride was pretty firm, there was some decent road noise, and the mileage is not great. LOVED how hot the heated seats get, but I didn't really like the leather seats (wasn't very soft).

Infiniti QX60 was very spacious. The third row could comfortably seats adults for a long road trip, and all seats were soft. The heated seats take a good amount of time to get hot though. Loved the wrap-around camera system, and the power was pretty decent for the CVT

But the favorite of today was the MDX. The seats were incredible (IMO better than the lexus), and the heat and venting were quick to start. The space in the 2nd row is fantastic. I couldn't believe quiet the truck was on the freeway and on the road, and found it very responsive. Infotainment wasn't as bad as some of the reviews online, and the sound system was GREAT.

So after all that, I'm scratching the X5 and RX off of my list, and will drive the remaining three with my wife to see what she thinks.
Old 06-20-2014, 11:30 AM
Safety Car

Thumbs up Finally done!

After lots of research, finally purchased an SUV...a Silver/Ebony MDX Adv/Ent.

I was originally going to go for a tech as I don't give 2 craps about the tv in the back, however the soft seats and the additional safety tech won me over. Plus they gave a great price AND gave me a very reasonable price on my trade in (both Jeep and Infiniti dealerships gave BS low ball overs)

After ~800 miles I still love it...very comfy, though it feels like the audio bass doesn't increase linearly as the volume goes up, which is kinda wierd.

What I DON'T love is the dealership...I felt that the Infiniti dealership (Infiniti of Kirkland) made it their mission to have high customer service...even though the prices were expensive, I found the service techs to be very understanding, and they constantly gave me discounts. After a few interactions with Acura techs (to check out a few things like my seats), they are definately not as warm and welcoming

Oh well, you can't have everything
Old 06-20-2014, 12:04 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Congrats! The MDX is an excellent choice. I'd get it in Advance/Entertainment too. The tech is too good to turn down.
Old 06-20-2014, 04:12 PM
2024 Honda Civic Type R

Received 1,454 Likes on 923 Posts
I love the '14 MDX in silver/ebony. Nice choice!
Old 06-20-2014, 04:40 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,019 Likes on 2,497 Posts
Congrats!
A friend of wife's has a MDX with the same combo. Looks nice.
Old 06-22-2014, 07:07 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,659 Likes on 926 Posts
Congratulations! You've made the best choice out of all those mentioned IMHO!!
Old 06-23-2014, 09:40 AM
7# werC 2uoYeeS

Received 527 Likes on 387 Posts
new car and no pics? ban!
Old 06-23-2014, 09:47 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,328 Likes on 1,308 Posts
Congrats!
Old 06-23-2014, 12:19 PM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

Received 1,651 Likes on 1,116 Posts