BMW 2002 Tii at the junkyard..worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 03:31 PM
I got the Shifts

Received 230 Likes on 163 Posts
BMW 2002 Tii at the junkyard..worth it?

saw a 2002 tii at the junkyard with full interior and some dash cracks. the car is undamaged structurally and has been sitting for a few years so it has flat tires (original ones) and rusted paint.

its a cool little car and i was wondering if these held any value or if a restore was worth it.

any insight?
thanks.
Old 03-22-2011, 03:34 PM
The Third Ball

Received 5,056 Likes on 2,688 Posts
how much do they want for it?

I personally love the 2002.
Old 03-22-2011, 03:37 PM
I got the Shifts

i can probaly get it for 200 bucks
Old 03-22-2011, 03:52 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,569 Likes on 986 Posts
Originally Posted by phee
i can probaly get it for 200 bucks
I saw a restored one for sale for $10k ... Not concours but nice. I think it was a Ti and not a Tii.

If you think you could get it going again and in nice shape for a few grand then go for it. My guess is it's going to be all of $10k to get it where it needs to be based upon my imagination of your description.
Old 03-22-2011, 03:54 PM
The Dumb One

Received 373 Likes on 249 Posts
neat

Old 03-22-2011, 03:55 PM
ScoobyZINE

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
^^ I want that
Old 03-22-2011, 03:58 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 84 Likes on 79 Posts
get it if its for 200 bux and c what u can do with it
Old 03-22-2011, 04:00 PM
zac
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 12 Posts
I love the 2002s. Theres a red one at my school that I think a professor drives.
Old 03-22-2011, 04:11 PM
Lt. Gamble

Received 94 Likes on 62 Posts
Love 2002's!! I almost traded my E28 for one awhile back. Damn, for 200 bucks I'd definitely pick it up and restore it, sounds like a fun project!
Old 03-22-2011, 04:14 PM
Team Owner

Received 2,334 Likes on 1,962 Posts
for 200 hell yea!!!
Old 03-22-2011, 04:23 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 638 Likes on 276 Posts
I see terry viewing so im sure he will post better info.

All i can say is if it has visible rust then underneath will be a nightmare. I wouldnt bother.
Old 03-22-2011, 04:57 PM
zac
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 12 Posts
If I would start on a project/restoration car, this would be it. If not this than an E30
Old 03-22-2011, 05:05 PM
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Pics! Is it "complete"? Usually things at the junkyard look fine but when you get up close, bunch of the small things are picked apart.
Old 03-22-2011, 05:49 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 196 Likes on 99 Posts
Originally Posted by phee
saw a 2002 tii at the junkyard with full interior and some dash cracks. the car is undamaged structurally and has been sitting for a few years so it has flat tires (original ones) and rusted paint.

its a cool little car and i was wondering if these held any value or if a restore was worth it.

any insight?
thanks.

Is the car complete? What condition is the powertrain and body in?

The price of the car is of little consequence. It could even be free, but you need to consider restoration costs. And more importantly, you need to consider why you want to restore it. If it's the love and admiration of a particular car and the want to undertake a project, then perhaps it may be something to consider. If it's for monetary gain, then run away from the car as fast as you can.

Restorations always take twice as long and are much more expensive than anticipated. If you are still considering this project, then the first thing is to see the availability of parts. Spend a few hours online and look for vendors that deal specifically with the car you want to restore. This includes NOS, reproduction, and wrecked parts. Then decide the type of restoration you want to do. Will it be fairly basic with basic mechanical repairs and cosmetics? Or are you looking for something more detailed. Perhaps you are considering an exacting, nut and bolt type restoration. And finally, decide you much work you will do yourself. Are you capable of rebuilding an engine and performing bodywork, or does knowledge and space only permit the assembling of parts that have been restored by professional shops.

I'm not trying to deter you, or anyone from doing a restoration, but consider everything involved before undertaking a project such as this. Costs, time, space, and ability should all be considerations. My restorations, although much more detailed and precise than most, generally cost upwards of $50 000 and take tremendous amounts of time. This includes me doing the lion's share of the work except for exterior paint. And throughout the years I've accumulated the proper tools and space required for such projects. Some people restore cars for substantially less, but probably more than what you're allowing. If you like the car, then I say go for it. Do not expect, however, for the restoration to be easy. If the car is a basic runner, you may want to pick it up and repair as needed for a nice driver, slowly doing more as time and funds permit.

Good luck if you decide to give it a go.

Terry

Last edited by teranfon; 03-22-2011 at 10:48 PM.
Old 03-22-2011, 06:06 PM
_____ like a rabbit

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
I just saw one like 30 min ago! Except it had a red body with gray pillars and roof...

fantastic looking cars in black...
Old 03-22-2011, 06:08 PM
_____ like a rabbit

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by teranfon

The price of the car is of little consequence. It could even be free, but you need to consider restoration costs. And more importantly, you need to consider why you want to restore it. If it's the love and admiration of a particular car and the want to undertake a project, then perhaps it may be something to consider. If it's for monetary gain, then run away from the car as fast as you can.

Restorations always take twice as long and are much more expensive than anticipated. If you are still considering this project, then the first thing is to see the availability of parts. Spend a few hours online and look for vendors that deal specifically with the car you want to restore. This includes NOS, reproduction, and wrecked parts. Then decide the type of restoration you want to do. Will it be fairly basic with basic mechanical repairs and cosmetics? Or are you looking for something more detailed. Perhaps you are considering an exacting, nut and bolt type restoration. And finally, decide you much work you will do yourself. Are you capable of rebuilding an engine and performing bodywork, or does knowledge and space only permit the assembling of parts that have been restored by professional shops.

I'm not trying to deter you, or anyone from doing a restoration, but consider everything involved before undertaking a project such as this. Costs, time, space, and ability should all be considerations. My restorations, although much more detailed and precise than most, generally cost upwards of $50 000 and take tremendous amounts of time. This includes me doing the lion's share of the work except for exterior paint. And throughout the years I've accumulated the proper tools and space required for such projects. Most are done for substantially less, but probably more than what you're allowing. If you like the car, then I say go for it. Do not expect, however, for the restoration to be easy. If the car is a basic runner, you may want to pick it up and repair as needed for a nice driver, slowly doing more as time and funds permit.

Terry
You are one of the smartest people i know.... Just saying...
Old 03-22-2011, 07:52 PM
I got the Shifts

i was looking into restoring it for personal use. after speaking to the jy owner he says the underbody is rusted but the entire car is there. nobody has needed a part for it in the year he has had it.

the underbody rust is a dealbreaker for me. sucks because i remember seeing a white one a few years ago and thinking "thats a car with character"

if anyone is interested in it or parts for it them LMK because im sure these things are rare.
Old 03-22-2011, 08:08 PM
I got the Shifts

i was looking into restoring it for personal use. after speaking to the jy owner he says the underbody is rusted but the entire car is there. nobody has needed a part for it in the year he has had it.

the underbody rust is a dealbreaker for me. sucks because i remember seeing a white one a few years ago and thinking "thats a car with character"

if anyone is interested in it or parts for it them LMK because im sure these things are rare.
Old 03-22-2011, 08:55 PM
Coal

Received 137 Likes on 91 Posts
Originally Posted by stangg172004
I think I would learn more from Terry than any of my professors.

Oh, and Phee, if you like the car, go for it. Rome wasn't built in a day.
Old 03-22-2011, 09:27 PM
Needs more Lemon Pledge

Received 2,000 Likes on 1,173 Posts
Originally Posted by 05TLdcc
I think I would learn more from Terry than any of my professors.

Oh, and Phee, if you like the car, go for it. Rome wasn't built in a day.

And Rome didn't have rust.
Old 03-22-2011, 10:17 PM
Drifting

Received 249 Likes on 134 Posts
God, ford 200 bucks. If it is a 73 it would be the most sought after model behind the turbo. In 74 they went to the US style bumpers and redesigned the front and rear (I have a 76 non tii I have not finished). Rust can hit these cars pretty hard though. As in the rear shock towers no longer being attached to the car and the pedal box turning into a Flintstones style hole. If you are just looking for one to drive and not collect you may want to look at a solid ti or just plain 2002 that you can just tinker with instead of rebuild. Around here a nice ready to drive example will show up about twice a year for under 6k.

One neat thing about the 2002 is BMW is committed to selling quite a few parts for the car including front fenders and small patch panels. You can order OE parts right from the dealership, and most of the time they are pretty reasonable. Past that there is a wrecking yard in California that specializes in 2002 bits.

One tough lesson I learned is that the same a community and support does not exist for the Bavaria.
Old 03-22-2011, 10:31 PM
B A N N E D

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Crazy Acura
I see terry viewing so im sure he will post better info.

All i can say is if it has visible rust then underneath will be a nightmare. I wouldnt bother.
kinda depends on where this rust that phee is talking about actually is....

cause yes the underside will be alot worse once looked under
Old 03-22-2011, 10:48 PM

Received 9,507 Likes on 6,176 Posts
I would do it!
Old 03-22-2011, 10:50 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 196 Likes on 99 Posts
Originally Posted by stangg172004
Thanks, but not at all. I've just been fortunate to do a number of things throughout the years.

Terry
Old 03-22-2011, 11:52 PM
I got the Shifts

Originally Posted by Stapler
God, ford 200 bucks. If it is a 73 it would be the most sought after model behind the turbo. In 74 they went to the US style bumpers and redesigned the front and rear (I have a 76 non tii I have not finished). Rust can hit these cars pretty hard though. As in the rear shock towers no longer being attached to the car and the pedal box turning into a Flintstones style hole. If you are just looking for one to drive and not collect you may want to look at a solid ti or just plain 2002 that you can just tinker with instead of rebuild. Around here a nice ready to drive example will show up about twice a year for under 6k.

One neat thing about the 2002 is BMW is committed to selling quite a few parts for the car including front fenders and small patch panels. You can order OE parts right from the dealership, and most of the time they are pretty reasonable. Past that there is a wrecking yard in California that specializes in 2002 bits.

One tough lesson I learned is that the same a community and support does not exist for the Bavaria.
ill see if i can get a pic up. do you need any parts?
Old 03-23-2011, 12:17 AM
Drifting

Received 249 Likes on 134 Posts
Actually no, anything I need can be sourced from a regular 02 closer to Tucson. Plus if somebody actually wants to restore that Tii it will be nice if they can start with all of the parts.

Last edited by Stapler; 03-23-2011 at 12:24 AM.
Old 03-23-2011, 09:04 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,260 Likes on 2,631 Posts
As always great wisdom from Terry.

A former colleague had a 2002 Tii, my only input is that the Tii is very special in it has the Kugelfischer mechanical fuel injection system. It's really tempermental and I can't imagine the injection pump being OK sitting in a junk yard with old gas all these years. The main timed pump is like a Swiss watch with lots of delicate components. Rebuilding them requires espertese and expensive parts.

If you want a DD, it would probably be best to do what my colleague did, install two Webber's and removed the Kugelfischer system. He kept the Kugelfischer, he tried a few times to rebuild the pump and it was always going out of tune quickly so the Webbers provided a reliable solution.

Originally Posted by teranfon

I'm not trying to deter you, or anyone from doing a restoration, but consider everything involved before undertaking a project such as this. Costs, time, space, and ability should all be considerations. My restorations, although much more detailed and precise than most, generally cost upwards of $50 000 and take tremendous amounts of time. This includes me doing the lion's share of the work except for exterior paint. And throughout the years I've accumulated the proper tools and space required for such projects. Some people restore cars for substantially less, but probably more than what you're allowing. If you like the car, then I say go for it. Do not expect, however, for the restoration to be easy. If the car is a basic runner, you may want to pick it up and repair as needed for a nice driver, slowly doing more as time and funds permit.

Terry