Automatic Transmission Help

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2009, 09:37 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Automatic Transmission Help

So my GF has a 97 CRV with 225k on it. It runs well for its age and is in incredible condition, but I am worried about the tranny going soon. It has the original transmission and it shifts a little ruff sometimes. Is there anywhere that will like look at your auto transmission for free or a small fee and tell you what kind of condition it is in? I thought I remember aamco doing this a while ago for free but all I see on their website is a "free transcan" which is just reading a check engine light for you "$85 value yours free " Or is it even possible to really inspect a auto tranny and get an idea of how much life it has left? Would sending in a fluid sample for an analysis be the best bet?
sorry for the newbish auto transmission questions
Old 04-10-2009, 10:52 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 196 Likes on 99 Posts
Any other symptoms besides shifting a little rough? And what do mean "rough"? Is is sporadic or happening all the time? You'd be amazed at how much better an automatic transmission will perform with a new tranny filter if one has never been installed, especially with that sort of mileage. Any delayed engagement? When you shift from Park to either Reverse or Drive, it should happen in about one second.

Check the fluid while the car is idling in Park when warm. Considering the car's age, it will most likely be brown instead of the red colour when new. This is fine. Does it smell "burnt"? You most likely have a problem it it does. It also isn't good it the fluid is black.

Check these minor things for yourself. If everything seems relatively good, then change the transmission filter. If a shop is doing the service for you, then they may be better able to tell you at the time if you have a problem.

Terry
Old 04-10-2009, 11:17 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
Are you sure its not a bad engine mount?
Old 04-10-2009, 11:37 PM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Originally Posted by Ken1997TL
Are you sure its not a bad engine mount?
Good thinking, the mount(s) are probably trashed by now
Old 04-10-2009, 11:45 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by teranfon
Any other symptoms besides shifting a little rough? And what do mean "rough"? Is is sporadic or happening all the time? You'd be amazed at how much better an automatic transmission will perform with a new tranny filter if one has never been installed, especially with that sort of mileage. Any delayed engagement? When you shift from Park to either Reverse or Drive, it should happen in about one second.

Check the fluid while the car is idling in Park when warm. Considering the car's age, it will most likely be brown instead of the red colour when new. This is fine. Does it smell "burnt"? You most likely have a problem it it does. It also isn't good it the fluid is black.

Check these minor things for yourself. If everything seems relatively good, then change the transmission filter. If a shop is doing the service for you, then they may be better able to tell you at the time if you have a problem.

Terry
Thanks for the info! I believe most honda AT's do not have a replaceable filter isn't that correct?
The reason I am concerned with it is that it usually takes a while for it to shift while driving, as in it gets to pretty high rpms then shifts and is a little rough when it does. It is not anything terrible, I don't think it is going to die within the next few weeks or anything but to me it seems like it isn't going to be hitting 250K. I used to have a 97 accord and it always was a little rough when shifting but hers is definitely a little worse.
I really should check the fluid, i forgot how easy it is in an auto
Old 04-11-2009, 12:34 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 196 Likes on 99 Posts
Originally Posted by Tennisjon2002
Thanks for the info! I believe most honda AT's do not have a replaceable filter isn't that correct?
The reason I am concerned with it is that it usually takes a while for it to shift while driving, as in it gets to pretty high rpms then shifts and is a little rough when it does. It is not anything terrible, I don't think it is going to die within the next few weeks or anything but to me it seems like it isn't going to be hitting 250K. I used to have a 97 accord and it always was a little rough when shifting but hers is definitely a little worse.
I really should check the fluid, i forgot how easy it is in an auto
I have no idea. I've rebuilt a few automatics, but admittedly have all been either C-4, C-6, or FMX Fords. I've always replaced transmission fluids and filters on my automatics on a regular basis, but never on a Honda product (my Accord is a six-speed). From what you're describing, it could be as something as simple as fluid top up.

Terry
Old 04-11-2009, 10:26 AM
I got the Shifts

Received 230 Likes on 163 Posts
dont get those vacuum drains either! bad idea.

check the fluid level, change the filter and top off is what i would recommend
Old 04-12-2009, 05:17 AM
Someday, an RS6 Avant+

Received 986 Likes on 530 Posts

Most issues are solved with new fluid and a filter. Don't be surprised if it's never been changed.

While that is being done, change the brake fluid as well (have the lines bled, so it's new throughout). Probably hasn't ever been done, either and will go a long way to making the vehicle last longer.
Old 04-12-2009, 03:19 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mrmako

Most issues are solved with new fluid and a filter. Don't be surprised if it's never been changed.

While that is being done, change the brake fluid as well (have the lines bled, so it's new throughout). Probably hasn't ever been done, either and will go a long way to making the vehicle last longer.
Her dad is pretty strict with maintenance, (obviously since the car has lasted so long) but I will still check the fluid
Old 04-12-2009, 05:56 PM
MR1
05/5AT/Navi/ABP/Quartz

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by Tennisjon2002
Her dad is pretty strict with maintenance, (obviously since the car has lasted so long) but I will still check the fluid
I understand that you want to help or be the hero or something. Be careful that you don't end up being the goat!

Is her dad around someplace close? Somebody might want to talk to him if so for anything beyond just checking the fluid. Just a thought.
Old 04-27-2009, 10:54 AM
Burning Brakes

How hard is it to check the engine mounts? The car is going in to get a bunch of stuff done in a few weeks (mainly getting the timing belt changed) and i was going to have the engine mounts checked. It is going to the private shop of a Acura Technician so he knows what he is doing, but can you just look at them and tell if they are bad? or is it a lot of work to check them?
Old 04-27-2009, 11:37 AM
registered pw

Received 354 Likes on 252 Posts
the way i check the mounts is to have someone put the car into gear and watch the motor for excessive movement.

Or, if the mounts are visible, you may see if they are cracked and dried out.
Old 04-27-2009, 11:47 AM
I got the Shifts

Received 230 Likes on 163 Posts
i would stay out of this oen Op. you do not want to be the blame if/ when her car dies. just sit it out and wait for it to fuck up. dont make her do anything. all you can do is make a recommendation. this is experience chiming in
Old 04-27-2009, 11:53 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by dallison
the way i check the mounts is to have someone put the car into gear and watch the motor for excessive movement.

Or, if the mounts are visible, you may see if they are cracked and dried out.
Thanks, I will do that.

Does this sound like a good list of maintenance to have performed (car is at 220k):
Transmission drain and fill
Change Differential Fluid
Adjust Valves
Change Brake Fluid

Along with the timing belt/water pump and check out the engine mounts.

Also he dad was saying it is making a clicking noise from the suspension when going over bumps. Any ideas on this? I know the suspension is pretty shot from 220K miles but could it be a joint or anything?
Old 04-27-2009, 02:07 PM
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If the guy working on it is a certified Acura tech is should know what all to look for do. I would just tell him to look over the car for you.
Old 04-27-2009, 02:19 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,090 Likes on 767 Posts
the click over bumps can be a ball joint...

but i would def recommend a drain and fill on the ATF and change that tranny screen...
Old 04-30-2009, 03:15 AM

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
I would change the fluid with ATF-Z1 if it hasn't been done recently. However, at 225k, it's probably on its last legs.

I wouldn't get involved since the transmission could fail at any time due to age, and you don't want to be the one who gets blamed.