Old 03-16-2007, 08:50 AM
Safety Car

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts
Thumbs down Autobahn to have a speed limit....WHAT

March 16, 2007
Pfaffenhausen Journal
Call for Speed Limit Has German Blood at 178 m.p.h. Boil
By MARK LANDLER
PFAFFENHAUSEN, Germany, March 14 — Ask Marc Bongers about the wisdom of introducing a speed limit on the German autobahn, and he answers by impatiently revving the 435-horsepower engine of a specially modified Porsche. Slowpokes, he said, already spoil half the fun.

“A lady,” Mr. Bongers sniffed, as a Mercedes scuttled out of his way in the passing lane on a busy highway in southern Bavaria. “And she’s talking on her phone,” he said the other day, shooting her a sidelong glance. “Doesn’t she know it’s against the law to do that on the autobahn?”

With a stretch of empty road ahead, Mr. Bongers floored the gas pedal, and within seconds the speedometer registered 286 kilometers an hour (178 m.p.h.) — something that is still legal here. That, by way of comparison, is about the speed of a commercial jet taking off.

Few things are closer to the German heart than the freedom to drive like Michael Schumacher, the fabled Formula One champion. Rule-bound and risk-averse in so many other ways, Germans regard driving on the autobahn at face-peeling speeds as close to an inalienable right.

Now, though, Germany’s love of speed is colliding with its fears about global warming, as it becomes clear that its Sunday race-car drivers are spewing tons of carbon dioxide into the air.

Last week, the European Union’s environment commissioner, Stavros Dimas of Greece, set off a national debate here by suggesting that the German government introduce a general speed limit on the autobahn.

To be sure, at least half of the 7,500 miles of autobahn already have either permanent or temporary speed limits. But the autobahn’s anything-goes stretches are the world’s fastest public roads.

“Speed limits are useful for many reasons, and are the order of the day in most of the E.U.’s 27 member states and the United States,” Mr. Dimas said in an interview with the mass-market newspaper Bild. “Strangely enough, it is only in Germany where they are controversial.”

No kidding. His mild words were met with heated indignation from politicians and automotive groups here. Some acted as if Brussels were demanding that Germany outlaw beer and bratwurst.

This is “a trivialization of the climate problem,” declared the German environment minister, Sigmar Gabriel. The German Association of the Automotive Industry said Germans needed “no coaching” from other Europeans on how to protect the environment.

Even Chancellor Angela Merkel, who has put climate change at the top of her agenda as current president of the European Union and the Group of 8 industrial nations, opposes a uniform speed limit.

She is hardly a car buff. Unlike her predecessor, Gerhard Schröder, she is rarely photographed behind the wheel. But she seems to realize that, like Social Security in the United States, the autobahn is the third rail of German politics — potentially deadly to those who dare touch it.

Critics brandish statistics that show a speed limit of 120 kilometers an hour (75 m.p.h.) would reduce Germany’s overall carbon-dioxide emissions by a few million tons a year, less than 0.5 percent. Better, they say, to focus on building more efficient power plants and houses.

Yet, as environmental groups and a few lonely politicians point out, a few million tons of carbon dioxide is still a considerable savings. Unlike other measures — clean coal plants or hybrid cars, for example — a speed limit could be imposed tomorrow and at relatively little cost.

“Our politicians like to say that Germany should not have to do more than other European countries on climate change, but in this area, we are doing less,” said Josef Göppel, one of the few conservative members of Parliament who favor a limit.

For years, speed limit advocates tried to argue their case on safety grounds. The autobahn, though, is statistically safer than highways in many countries, even if its crashes are singularly horrific. Saving the planet, it turns out, may be more persuasive than saving lives.

“Given the pride of Germans about being No. 1 in protecting the environment, this could lead to a breakthrough,” said Peter Schneider, a writer who limits himself to 90 m.p.h. on the autobahn.

Mr. Schneider is realistic. Driving fast, he said, is deeply rooted in the German psyche — a form of expression that survived even World War II. It is an addiction that crosses social and political boundaries.

“I have friends who are left-leaning intellectuals, and they’re proud to tell me they can get to Hamburg from Berlin in two hours,” Mr. Schneider said. (That requires driving an average of 87 m.p.h.)

Germany also has a powerful economic incentive to resist a speed limit. It builds some of the world’s fastest cars, and the autobahn is a valuable showcase and marketing tool for the industry. A tour operator even organizes driving tours of the highway for Chinese visitors.

Car connoisseurs from around the world flock to Pfaffenhausen, a one-horse town where the local company, Ruf Automobile, makes cars with many horses. Mr. Bongers, the sales manager, said people who bought these custom-modified Porsches often took them for a spin on the autobahn. For most, it is the only place they can legally test the top speed of their new toys.

“It’s a kind of freedom,” said Mr. Bongers, 40, who once pushed his own Porsche 911 to over 187 m.p.h. to prove he had the guts to do it. “Speed is relative on the autobahn.”

Alois Ruf, a courtly, nattily dressed man who took over the family business from his father in 1974, said he did not know enough about the science to judge whether a speed limit would significantly reduce carbon dioxide emissions. But the debate feels oddly familiar to him.

In the depths of the oil crisis in late 1973, West Germany imposed a speed limit of 100 kilometers an hour (60 m.p.h.). Four months later, the government rescinded it. Mr. Ruf recalls worrying during those dark days that the family’s sports car business was doomed.

“This is a dream we are selling to the world,” he said. “It’s a tradition I think we have to defend.”
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/03/16/wo...gewanted=print
Old 03-16-2007, 08:52 AM
Missing My CL-S

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
there goes my reason to go to Germany
Old 03-16-2007, 10:25 AM
2010 SHAWD

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Before we know it, we'll be stuck in padded rooms and never able to leave the house. I'm tired of governments trying to protect us from anything/everything.

In 2050 we'll kill off every predator in the world because they might eat us.
Old 03-16-2007, 10:40 AM
Team Owner

Received 582 Likes on 346 Posts
Old 03-16-2007, 10:41 AM
o1s
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
what a pile of shit!
Old 03-16-2007, 10:43 AM
Drifting

Received 113 Likes on 69 Posts
Sucks that the limit would only be 75 mph.... It'll be a HUGE adjustment for people who normally drive on those roads.
Old 03-16-2007, 10:44 AM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
nothing has been changed,...yet
Old 03-16-2007, 11:03 AM
Team Owner

Received 105 Likes on 69 Posts
Old 03-16-2007, 11:22 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,663 Likes on 928 Posts
The environmentalists need to get a life while at the same time excluding the rest of us from theirs.

Mr. Schneider is realistic. Driving fast, he said, is deeply rooted in the German psyche — a form of expression that survived even World War II. It is an addiction that crosses social and political boundaries.
Addiction? Someone needs to provide Mr. Schneider with a dictionary.
Old 03-16-2007, 11:39 AM
Team Owner

Received 249 Likes on 175 Posts
I'm getting really tired of this shit.

I'm sure Al Gore will fly over on his private jet to give a speech supporting the measure.
Old 03-16-2007, 11:49 AM
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by F23A4
Addiction? Someone needs to provide Mr. Schneider with a dictionary.
Maybe the author's words and not Schneider's?

Gotta love the Germans though ...
Old 03-16-2007, 11:50 AM
99 TL, 06 E350

Received 164 Likes on 110 Posts
well no need for 300+ HP cars
Old 03-16-2007, 12:08 PM
_____ like a rabbit

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
they just crushed my hopes and dreams
Old 03-16-2007, 12:14 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by te3point5
Sucks that the limit would only be 75 mph.... It'll be a HUGE adjustment for people who normally drive on those roads.
Yeah, tell me about it......that will definitely be a HUGE adjustment for them if this is implemented.
Old 03-16-2007, 12:51 PM
Instructor

that's not too big of a problem, most of their freeways already have speed limits.
Old 03-16-2007, 12:51 PM
Go Giants

Received 1,233 Likes on 823 Posts
I better go this weekend...
Old 03-16-2007, 03:34 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by sonnyboyacura
Before we know it, we'll be stuck in padded rooms and never able to leave the house. I'm tired of governments trying to protect us from anything/everything.

In 2050 we'll kill off every predator in the world because they might eat us.

does jens know about this?
Old 03-20-2007, 10:31 AM
Vollgas auf der Autobahn!

Talking

Some thoughts to the subject of speed limits :-)

To clear up a number of misconceptions I thought I might chime in here. Speed limits on the Autobahn would serve no purpose and here is why. Well over 50 percent of the Autobahn is already restricted to 130 KPH (Kilometers per hour). The actual average road speed here as determined by the TÜV is only 120 KPH. Adding a speed limit is senseless since it would really accomplish nothing. So why is there so much hoopla over the speed limit then you might ask?? The answer is simple, it is a symbolic issue meant to distract the average person from the real issues at hand. Should the speed limit be enforced there would be a virtually unmeasurable change in the amount of C02 pollution so again what is the point of the law?? The current push for the speed limit came at the urge of the Enviromental Minister within the EU. This gentlemen happens to be Greek, I have nothing against Greeks or Greece but the general concensus is that before Germany enforces a symbolic and senseless law the Greeks might like to take a stab at cleaning up their very poor record of doing anything for the environment at all. This is in the end nothing more than a Minister trying to make a name for himself within the EU governing body. Taking on the German Autobahn is a nice Political target but will do nothing for the environment.

Some other things to consider: Fuel costs, I pay on average 3.5 to 4 times what you good people in the USA pay for Fuel. I do not actually need a law to tell me that driving 130 is less expensive than driving 210 (top speed on my car). In the event that I cause an accident that is only due to excessive speed my car insurance does not have to pay dime one ................ NOT ONE RED CENT ! Let that thought go through your head for a minute and you will understand that speed has a price here far beyond just enviromental and fuel costs. The idea that everyone here with a car is rampaging down the Autobahn is ludicrous .....it is way too damn expensive! The fact that we can if need be travel at safe high speeds when needed is testament to the high quality of the roads and infinitely higher standards/responsibilities placed on drivers here.

A number of you have shown interest in trying the Autobahn on for size, nice idea, if you do decide to try it please know that this is a transportation system and NOT a race track. Please drive carefully, these speeds are no joke and mistakes made by the inexperienced are often followed by harrowing crashes and sadly sometimes death.

If you do come over and you happen to be on Autobahn A4, A13,A38 in the area around Dresden, Leipzig or Berlin and you look in the rear view mirror and see a red Alfa Romeo 156 Berlina with License Plate KM-JH-12 MOVE OVER DAMMIT I AM IN A HURRY !!!

Jens
Old 03-20-2007, 12:55 PM
_____ like a rabbit

or bust!
Old 03-20-2007, 01:05 PM

Hey look my favorite street sign :-))))))))))))))))))

Jens
Old 03-20-2007, 01:54 PM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

Received 1,652 Likes on 1,117 Posts
Originally Posted by JensH1963
Should the speed limit be enforced there would be a virtually unmeasurable change in the amount of C02 pollution so again what is the point of the law??
Wait, so a million tons of carbon dioxide is virtually unmeasurable? I beg to differ. If slowing down a little means extending the life of our environment, then I'm all for it.
Old 03-20-2007, 02:35 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,663 Likes on 928 Posts
Originally Posted by gatrhumpy
Wait, so a million tons of carbon dioxide is virtually unmeasurable? I beg to differ. If slowing down a little means extending the life of our environment, then I'm all for it.
Here is some reading material Al.
Old 03-20-2007, 03:17 PM

3.20.2007 update , and the latest attempt to bring to discussion a potential national speed limit in Germany.................... Rejected :-)

Jens :-) happy happy joy joy !!!
Old 03-20-2007, 03:33 PM

Just for the sake of it, 120 kph is comparable to the average speeds attained in the USA on major highways especially at rush hour where the police in my own experience rarely patrol, and we do this with relatively small fuell efficient cars that adhere to a tighter emissions law than your own.SO if we are going to talk about reducing C02 (read the previous posters post, makes for interesting reading :-)) it is good to see how you yourself and your countrymen do things especially if you live in a place that produces such milestones of fuel efficiency as the Hummer and the SUV and co. :-) . It is not wise to throw with stones when you live in a fragile house made of glass.

Jens
Old 03-20-2007, 05:17 PM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Ridiculous. I mean ridiculous how they won't establish a speed limit. Isn't there a law in Europe where you can get heavily fined for idling a car? And now a proposition to impose a speed limit is denied. Driving at excessive speeds produces WAY more pollution and consumes WAY more fuel/petrol than idling your car, to a certain extent. I mean seriously, what would burn more gas and produce more CO2, driving your Veyron at 250 MPH for 2 minutes straight or idling your car for 2 minutes straight?

That's like saying, you can't go down on my wife, but she can go down on you!
Old 03-20-2007, 05:20 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,568 Likes on 985 Posts
Just for the sake of it, 120 kph is comparable to the average speeds attained in the USA on major highways especially at rush hour where the police in my own experience rarely patrol, and we do this with relatively small fuell efficient cars that adhere to a tighter emissions law than your own.SO if we are going to talk about reducing C02 (read the previous posters post, makes for interesting reading :-)) it is good to see how you yourself and your countrymen do things especially if you live in a place that produces such milestones of fuel efficiency as the Hummer and the SUV and co. :-) . It is not wise to throw with stones when you live in a fragile house made of glass.

Jens
The rest of the world has to compensate, yet again, for those ignorant Americans and their complete lack of interest in changing their lifestyles.

Except that, oops, Southeast Asia is covered in a brown cloud about 20 miles tall from pollution but hey, go ahead Mr. Greekboy Lefty and peddle your old ass around on a bicycle instead of driving. Let me know how that works out for you ... and your lack of emissions testing and 2000-year old buses that spew diesel particulates into the air by the bucketful.
Old 03-21-2007, 12:24 AM
_____ like a rabbit

Hey look my favorite street sign :-))))))))))))))))))

Jens
wish we had at least one of those in the states
Old 03-21-2007, 01:02 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by charliemike
The rest of the world has to compensate, yet again, for those ignorant Americans and their complete lack of interest in changing their lifestyles.

Except that, oops, Southeast Asia is covered in a brown cloud about 20 miles tall from pollution but hey, go ahead Mr. Greekboy Lefty and peddle your old ass around on a bicycle instead of driving. Let me know how that works out for you ... and your lack of emissions testing and 2000-year old buses that spew diesel particulates into the air by the bucketful.
wtf is wrong with you? Sand in your vagina? All the man said was that
A. Enforcing a "speed" limit is more of a symbolic victory than anything, that will have little or no effect on emissions. And
B. The current avg. speed on the autobahn is around 75mph, which is about the speed most folks in the US travel. However in Germany, this is done in more fuel efficient cars (in general) under stricter emissions standards. In other words, before you start looking at Germany as a way to reduce the world's emissions, you might want to look at your own country first, where everyone and their mom seems to drive an SUV.
Old 03-21-2007, 01:08 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by I Go To Costco
Ridiculous. I mean ridiculous how they won't establish a speed limit. Isn't there a law in Europe where you can get heavily fined for idling a car? And now a proposition to impose a speed limit is denied. Driving at excessive speeds produces WAY more pollution and consumes WAY more fuel/petrol than idling your car, to a certain extent. I mean seriously, what would burn more gas and produce more CO2, driving your Veyron at 250 MPH for 2 minutes straight or idling your car for 2 minutes straight?

That's like saying, you can't go down on my wife, but she can go down on you!
Did you even read JenH's post. Just because the autobahn has unrestricted sections of road, it doesn't mean that everyone does and can do over 75mph. Factors such as traffic, lack of insurance coverage, and personal safety weigh in. Enforcing a speedlimit on the unregulated portion of the autobahn would have little or no effect.

Any car in the world can idle, and many people leave their cars idling for prolonged amounts of time for no good reason e.g. running into the store to pick something up. A fraction of the cars in the world can do some serious sustained high speed driving. Per your example, there are only 60 Veyrons in the world, and I doubt that many are even driven regularly. Do you honestly think that Europe is better off policing this minority, rather than the millions of cars that waste gas and pollute via excessive idling?
Old 03-21-2007, 01:17 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
Jens nailed it. Its all hype, the autobahn being an easy target. And he's correct, Greece has a horrible environmental record. Anything to get into the news I guess
Old 03-21-2007, 06:18 AM

To the topic idling your car I might like to add a few points. Number one it is by the way a law here that you shut off your engine at let's say a train crossing or if you are sitting in an area where traffic is clearly not moving. This law however was not conceived as a method for fuel consumption although it is obviously one way to accomplish just that. Originally it was intended to protect people living near these places where traffic frequently stops from noise pollution. Another item that might interest some of you, recently several cities have begun installing timers with visual countdown signs so that you restart your engine in time and do not cause jam up behind you after the traffic has resumed moving.Although I have not yet seen one of these traffic lights with a countdown timer I have heard it works rather well. On another note anyone who has ever driven here will have seen that our traffic lights first turn yellow as warning before the green is given, this was meant to tell people to restart the engine.

"The rest of the world has to compensate, yet again, for those ignorant Americans and their complete lack of interest in changing their lifestyles."

The above qoute is totally incorrect!! Americans are NOT ignorant!! Having Lived there I know this. What is true is that for many years America has had an unusual energy policy that permitted low fuel costs and therefore also the use of vehicles that are to say it politely ...........not fuel eficient. Had America used an energy policy as is common in Europe for example there would have been a drive towards more efficient cars long ago.

To the comments about the Veyron.......... at a cost of a million plus per vehicle I do not think the number of Veyrons out on public roads traveling at whatever speed are actually going to make a difference. Try to keep in mind basic physics, two objects cannot occupy the same space at the same time........ so regardless of which I am driving, a Veyron or a Fiat Cinquecento I still cannot go faster than the average simply because neither a Veyron or a Fiat can travel through another car without damaging it.

Southeast Asia is another problem entirely however recent news from China has made it clear that even the one of the last bastions of Communism has recognized the need for an enviromental policy. All of the Nations there are well aware of the need to get moving on realistic policy regarding the environment.

Please note that in the above paragraph I stated "realistic policy" , this is exactly what the speed limit on German Autobahns is NOT, ofcourse we can create and even enforce such a law. The question I have for you however is this and I direct this especially at the people living in America. Somewhere in your Constition is a thing about the RIGHT TO POSSESS FIREARMS, why do I mention this you ask?? because it is engrained in your Country that you have this right even though in reality such a right is questionable. We feel the same way about our Autobahn, Firearms are inherently dangerous devices just like the Autobahn, however in the right hands it is safe.............. keep in mind the following, we do not tell you to change your Constitution , please refrain from telling us how to drive :-)

Jens
Old 03-21-2007, 06:48 AM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

Jens
And before you group me in with those people who drive those ridiculous monstrousities, you might want to heed your own advice and listen to yourself. I do not drive a Hummer and I hate anyone who does, even those idiots who drive SUVs that don't need them.

Last edited by gatrhumpy; 03-21-2007 at 06:53 AM.
Old 03-21-2007, 06:57 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 165 Likes on 127 Posts
I hope they leave things the way they are now. This whole speed limit thing is rubbish.
Old 03-21-2007, 09:17 AM

And before you group me in with those people who drive those ridiculous monstrousities, you might want to heed your own advice and listen to yourself. I do not drive a Hummer and I hate anyone who does, even those idiots who drive SUVs that don't need them.
Gatrhumpy,

Hate is a strong word,............. 'nuff said.

In rereading my post I did not find a passage that states specifically that you Gatrhumpy drive such a vehicle. Actually I do not know what you drive or if you even possess a Driver's permit. What I should probably have included in my post was a reference to I Go To Costco's remarks about speed limits in Germany since it was his comment that I was replying to.I am sorry if the post was misunderstood by some of you. As far as heeding my own advice............ the last 5 cars I owned were : Nissan 240 SX, Honda Civic DX, Mazda Miata, Volkswagen Golf and my current car Alfa 156, all of them 4 cylinder vehicles. My next car will be a Fiat Cinquecento or possibly a Punto, both are 4 cylinder so to answer your call for me to heed my own advice...................I DID !! and what do you drive??

Jens
Old 03-21-2007, 10:05 AM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

Gatrhumpy,

Hate is a strong word,............. 'nuff said.

In rereading my post I did not find a passage that states specifically that you Gatrhumpy drive such a vehicle. Actually I do not know what you drive or if you even possess a Driver's permit. What I should probably have included in my post was a reference to I Go To Costco's remarks about speed limits in Germany since it was his comment that I was replying to.I am sorry if the post was misunderstood by some of you. As far as heeding my own advice............ the last 5 cars I owned were : Nissan 240 SX, Honda Civic DX, Mazda Miata, Volkswagen Golf and my current car Alfa 156, all of them 4 cylinder vehicles. My next car will be a Fiat Cinquecento or possibly a Punto, both are 4 cylinder so to answer your call for me to heed my own advice...................I DID !! and what do you drive??

Jens

I guess I misunderstood you. For that, I am sorry. I myself drive a very fuel-efficient 2004 Honda Accord.
Old 03-21-2007, 03:00 PM
Dan
Safety Car

Received 220 Likes on 127 Posts
Been limits on lots of it for YEARS!