Anyone own a new Ninja 250R?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2008, 06:00 PM
Moto Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It can be argued that a bike is a necessity for people who can't afford a car. There are people I know on motorcycle forums where their bike is their only means of transportation. I don't know how Kawasaki or whatever company you used to work for handled things, but good credit is good credit, while bad credit is bad credit. That's why there are variable APR tiers. To my knowledge, credit within the U.S. is granted based on your FICO, whether it be cars, motorcycles, computers, to a crummy gas card. Not whether or not something is a necessity.
Old 06-30-2008, 06:25 PM
Race Director

i've always wanted one
Old 06-30-2008, 11:54 PM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
I saw one today on the way home

A Ninja is probably the only thing I'd rock in bright green like that. My first choice would probably be white or black, but still.... there's something about it.
Old 07-01-2008, 08:29 AM
Don't Mess With Texas

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/photo...uell-Blast.htm
Old 07-01-2008, 08:48 AM
2010 SHAWD

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I took the MSF course and nailed it, I'm so glad that I took it. The main reason that I wanted to start off on a 600 was because of the looks, I absolutely loathed the way the 250 looked. Now that it's a bit more in the vein of the stronger bikes, I'll definitely pick one up now. I dont want to go too fast anyway.
Old 07-01-2008, 05:48 PM
Mazda3 and Honda Civic in

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by taitando
It can be argued that a bike is a necessity for people who can't afford a car. There are people I know on motorcycle forums where their bike is their only means of transportation. I don't know how Kawasaki or whatever company you used to work for handled things, but good credit is good credit, while bad credit is bad credit. That's why there are variable APR tiers. To my knowledge, credit within the U.S. is granted based on your FICO, whether it be cars, motorcycles, computers, to a crummy gas card. Not whether or not something is a necessity.
I totaly agree and understand where your coming from but thats the way it is with Motorcycle financing. I had some really pissed off customers and all I could do is give them the 800 number to call.

Hopefully now with the crazy gas prices things might change but you never know
Old 07-02-2008, 01:27 PM
teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
Received 957 Likes on 328 Posts
I've got a co-worker w/ a 94 CBR 600 F2 with 24,000 miles. I think I could pick it up for a $1,000 or less. I'm going to get my license and ride it around for a little bit and see what I think.
Old 07-02-2008, 02:17 PM
I now drive an accord....

Originally Posted by CLpower
I've got a co-worker w/ a 94 CBR 600 F2 with 24,000 miles. I think I could pick it up for a $1,000 or less. I'm going to get my license and ride it around for a little bit and see what I think.
Nice find

I wish I could find something like that
Old 07-02-2008, 02:54 PM
teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
is this too much bike? I literally haven't ridden a motorcycle in almost 20 years.
Old 07-02-2008, 03:20 PM
Don't Mess With Texas

is this too much bike? I literally haven't ridden a motorcycle in almost 20 years.
IMO you can ride anything. just use good judgement and take it very slow. its all in your maturity level. im buying my first bike in the next two weeks and it will be a brand new buell xb12ss (1203cc Vtwin). I have been riding 2 wheeled scooters and dirtbikes most of my life, but never a street bike over 600cc. I plan on not riding on the highway and only riding in and around my neighboorhood for the first few months to get the feel for the bike. i would say you should do the same. ask your friend if you can borrow some gear from him. you always want AT LEAST a jacket, gloves, helmet, and some riding boots(with heel protection) the last thing you want is a shattered heel from a minor crash. i have heard of that happening in crashes less than 35mph.
Old 07-02-2008, 03:25 PM

Most likely yes
Old 07-02-2008, 03:34 PM
Don't Mess With Texas

Originally Posted by spdy0001
Most likely yes
seriously....anything is going to be too much bike if he twists the throttle wide open. whether its a 250 or 1000 it makes no difference.
Old 07-02-2008, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by cltypeSLOW
IMO you can ride anything. just use good judgement and take it very slow. its all in your maturity level. im buying my first bike in the next two weeks and it will be a brand new buell xb12ss (1203cc Vtwin). I have been riding 2 wheeled scooters and dirtbikes most of my life, but never a street bike over 600cc. I plan on not riding on the highway and only riding in and around my neighboorhood for the first few months to get the feel for the bike. i would say you should do the same. ask your friend if you can borrow some gear from him. you always want AT LEAST a jacket, gloves, helmet, and some riding boots(with heel protection) the last thing you want is a shattered heel from a minor crash. i have heard of that happening in crashes less than 35mph.
You don't own or ride a street bike, IMO you shouldn't be giving any advice

1. Buells suck, you will realize this once you own one
2. Buying a liter sport bike is stupid especially as a first bike
3. Spending all that money on a new bike that could turn into a pile of scrap in a matter of seconds is just crazy

What a lot of you that haven't ridden these super sports fail to realize is that you don't have to ride like an idiot to get hurt. Just thinking that your gonna take it easy isn't enough. The throttle response is like nothing you have probably ever experienced. Ive seen people pulling into a road and get flustered and flip the bike over. Its more about experience than maturity, when it comes to knowing how to treat the bike and how it will react.

No trying to hijack the thread, this is just my opinion, which happens to be shared by many. Feel free to go buy that shiny new bike, I just hope you have more luck than the many who have died due to inexperince
Old 07-02-2008, 03:41 PM
Moto Enthusiast

Take the MSF too if you haven't already done so. With that said, the F2 isn't a bad bike to start off with, but take into account it's a 94 and may have some wear. Even though 24k doesn't seem like much, especially for a '94, those miles are more taxing to a bike than a car, especially if it's been tracked. Check and make sure if the bike has been well maintained (i.e. frame, brakes, forks, battery, rust, etc...) Remember, if it hasn't been maintained, you're going to have to cough up for the repairs yourself, which can be costly.

If you don't know too much about bikes, you should take someone with you who does, to look it over and if possible do a test ride. If you take some precautions, a used bike is often a better choice than something brand new. It definitely doesn't feel as bad if you end of dropping the bike.

Anyhow, the F2 shouldn't be "too much bike" as long as you keep that throttle hand under control. A 250 can get you into trouble too if you're not careful.
Old 07-02-2008, 03:43 PM

seriously....anything is going to be too much bike if he twists the throttle wide open. whether its a 250 or 1000 it makes no difference.
Not true

My first bike was a 350cc honda. I could rev it to almost red line and let out the clutch and it wouldn't lift the front end. I could grab the brake as hard as I could and it wouldn't stand up on the front tire. I could hold the throttle wide open down the road and would never feel like I was out of control.

As I stated earlier you don't ride or own a bike yet so your opinion is pointless
Old 07-02-2008, 03:54 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Not true

My first bike was a 350cc honda. I could rev it to almost red line and let out the clutch and it wouldn't lift the front end. I could grab the brake as hard as I could and it wouldn't stand up on the front tire. I could hold the throttle wide open down the road and would never feel like I was out of control.

As I stated earlier you don't ride or own a bike yet so your opinion is pointless
A very smart post.

Sure the CBR from '94 is nothing like the current CBR...but compared to a "starter bike" there is a difference.
Old 07-02-2008, 05:33 PM

No. Its all about throttle control and your ego to control it. Period!

Get the 94, alot of miles and cheap, perfect for your first bike.
Old 07-02-2008, 05:34 PM

x 100000000000000000. All about your right hand
Old 07-02-2008, 06:03 PM
teh Senior Instigator

Take the MSF too if you haven't already done so. With that said, the F2 isn't a bad bike to start off with, but take into account it's a 94 and may have some wear. Even though 24k doesn't seem like much, especially for a '94, those miles are more taxing to a bike than a car, especially if it's been tracked. Check and make sure if the bike has been well maintained (i.e. frame, brakes, forks, battery, rust, etc...) Remember, if it hasn't been maintained, you're going to have to cough up for the repairs yourself, which can be costly.

If you don't know too much about bikes, you should take someone with you who does, to look it over and if possible do a test ride. If you take some precautions, a used bike is often a better choice than something brand new. It definitely doesn't feel as bad if you end of dropping the bike.

Anyhow, the F2 shouldn't be "too much bike" as long as you keep that throttle hand under control. A 250 can get you into trouble too if you're not careful.

It's my co-worker's. Good friend of mine. He's owned it since 94. It was recently stolen and the theif fucked up some of the body work, repainted it with krylon. Broke the ignition, and gas cap. So it needs some work

Here's the info:

"My bike has:
Yoshimura Exhaust System (polished)
Dunlop Tires (can't remember model, but it's their absolute top-of-the-line) Stainless Steel Brake Lines K&N Filters Motul synthetic EVERYTHING every 3,000 miles (I have EVERY receipt too!)

What it needs:
A new owner
Registration (CHEAP!)
New brake handle (approx. $9.00)
New gas cap (the guy drilled out my original one)
New ignition lock (same guy drilled that too!)

Mach-1 said that I was about a thousand miles away from needing a new chain. I rarely drive the bike very hard, and for sure you will not, at least not in the beginning. I grease the chain regularly, so it's still got a lot of life left. (Chain is under heavy stress under high RPM, wide-open-throttle loads only, this will not be you, not for a while anyways)

She was worth $2,750.00 before, if I did all of the above, probably looking at getting $1,500.00+ for her...

I need $900.00 ASAP ! ! !"

He's strapped for cash so he needs it out.

He can also get me KILLER hookups on gear Joe Rocket, HJC, etc (Basically cost)
Old 07-02-2008, 06:21 PM

Pick it up.

Are you going to get it?
Old 07-02-2008, 06:21 PM
Moto Enthusiast

Hmmm...because you mentioned it's been stolen, there's no telling what else might be messed up. I'm surprised his insurance hasn't declared it a salvage title. It may "run fine" but it could possibly need other things like a valve adjustment and a carb sync. I'd get a new chain anyways considering he mentioned "Chain is under heavy stress...". A good chain will cost you anywhere from $80 to $150.

I think I'd spring for the 250 just for peace of mind and being under warranty. If not, I'd say it'd be time to invest in a shop manual for the F2.
Old 07-02-2008, 06:30 PM
teh Senior Instigator

$900 vs $3600 and a few month wait.

going to sit down and discuss it with the wife tonight "FUCK"
Old 07-02-2008, 06:36 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

^^ How far is your commute? This is what the bike is for...right?
Old 07-02-2008, 06:57 PM
Race Director

Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts
My first street bike was a ninja 600. It was a great starter bike. Go for the cbr, that's a bargain.
Old 07-02-2008, 06:57 PM
teh Senior Instigator

Originally Posted by Moog-Type-S
^^ How far is your commute? This is what the bike is for...right?

50-60 miles
Old 07-02-2008, 07:11 PM
Changin bulbs since '73

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts
that sounds like a sweet deal. I don't think it's too much to learn on. I learned on a gue gpz750 ... we called it the horse. I actually still have it. It is heavy as fuck. You will be fine!
Old 07-02-2008, 07:29 PM
Administrator Alumnus

Received 131 Likes on 82 Posts

Is the discussion going to happen before or after the fucking?
Old 07-02-2008, 08:25 PM
Moto Enthusiast

Yeah, that'd probably be a good idea to talk it over with the wifey. I'm not saying it isn't a good deal, but again, unless you know what you're doing you might be dropping more F-bombs later on.

In addition to other things I've mentioned, at 24k miles, the bike should've had the air filter, spark plugs, oil, oil filter, and coolant replaced. In addition to that, the brake and clutch fluid should've been bled and refilled.

All this would still be cheaper than a new 250, but only if you're willing to go through the hassle.

BTW, I own a Ducati S2R and a Triumph Daytona 675. These would be some of the things I'd look for.
Old 07-02-2008, 08:59 PM
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
It's not to much bike for you. I owned a 92 CBR 600 F2 and it was easy to ride; lightweight, comfortable, the riding position isn't extreme, the controls were well placed, typical Honda. The power band was smooth so it was easy to ride. For the price it almost sounds to good to be true. What kind of shape is it in? If it's in decent shape go for it.

(Not mine but same year same color etc.)
Old 07-02-2008, 09:06 PM
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
^^^Disregard I just read the entire thread. Still a good deal even though it was stolen.
Old 07-02-2008, 09:08 PM
Race Director

Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts
Yeah, that'd probably be a good idea to talk it over with the wifey. I'm not saying it isn't a good deal, but again, unless you know what you're doing you might be dropping more F-bombs later on.

In addition to other things I've mentioned, at 24k miles, the bike should've had the air filter, spark plugs, oil, oil filter, and coolant replaced. In addition to that, the brake and clutch fluid should've been bled and refilled.

All this would still be cheaper than a new 250, but only if you're willing to go through the hassle.

BTW, I own a Ducati S2R and a Triumph Daytona 675. These would be some of the things I'd look for.
You left out the compression test. Always havethat done on a bike with that many miles. Also, a visual check for exhaust smoke. At 24k it might need a ring job.
Old 07-02-2008, 09:44 PM
GEEZER

Received 2,214 Likes on 1,418 Posts
Make sure you get a very good helmet.
Old 07-02-2008, 10:58 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
I'm just starting out as well. Haven't been on a bike since I was about 17... and those were dirt bikes.

I took the MSF course and picked up a cherry 2005 Ninja 250. I've put about 400 miles on it and get more comfortable every time out. I'm going to keep it until next spring or so, then upgrade to a bigger bike that I will keep for some time. Also remember that these things (Ninja 250) hold their value very well, so pick up a good used one (about 2-4 years old), ride it for a year, then sell it for close to what you paid. Don't buy new b/c you'll get raped on depreciation. Let some other sucker absorb that for you.

Additionally, everyone I spoke to including several neighbors of mine who used to race bikes plus everything I read told me to start on the 250, get comfortable, then upgrade. I agreed, so that's what I am doing.

Just remember this... the bigger the bike, the more your mistakes are exaggerated... and that's where you get into trouble.

My recommendation... if you really want to ride bikes, start on a 250, ride it for a year, then upgrade.
Old 07-02-2008, 11:00 PM
Safety Car

Received 487 Likes on 249 Posts
I won't touch on the starter bike vs the 600 CBR as a first bike.

Personally, I would not get a stolen motorcycle. Motorcycles are too easily abused.

I have never ridden the F2, so how is the riding position? A 60 mile commute sounds like at least 2 hours on the road per day, depending on traffic conditions. Be sure the bike is comfortable for your frame.

Also, carburated bikes tend to get pretty crappy mileage, relatively speaking. You're probably looking at about 36-40 mpg for the CBR, vs 60-70 mpg for the 250.

The 250 is carbed too, but the engine is simply too small to suck a lot of gas.
Old 07-03-2008, 12:18 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 196 Likes on 99 Posts
CLpower:

Here are some reviews of the 250R originally posted from another forum I frequent. Thought they might be interesting.

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/Articl...ArticleID=5920

http://www.motorcycle.com/manufactur...50r-75782.html

http://motorcycledaily.com/21februar...8ninja250r.htm

Terry
Old 07-03-2008, 03:15 AM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Why did you have to make this thread.... a new Ninja 250 would be a perfect foil to my Z28..... damn you. If people keep posting I might just go and do something stupid like get a loan and insurance I can't afford
Old 07-03-2008, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by wackjum
Also, carburated bikes tend to get pretty crappy mileage, relatively speaking. You're probably looking at about 36-40 mpg for the CBR
Who told you that?

my 82 yamaha 750 gets 45-50mpg

FYI most bikes on the road are carbed
Old 07-03-2008, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by zeroday
You left out the compression test. Always havethat done on a bike with that many miles. Also, a visual check for exhaust smoke. At 24k it might need a ring job.
Who would waste the money and effort on a compression test for a 1K bike

You guys are getting way too picky. For that price if it runs and passes inspection (if your state has one) then its probably worth the money and will serve its purpose. I could see going through all this effort if it was worth some money or was being purchased for the track
Old 07-03-2008, 10:10 AM
teh Senior Instigator

Who would waste the money and effort on a compression test for a 1K bike

You guys are getting way too picky. For that price if it runs and passes inspection (if your state has one) then its probably worth the money and will serve its purpose. I could see going through all this effort if it was worth some money or was being purchased for the track

see, those are my thoughts exactly. On top of it, we know who the guy that stole the bike was. He was an old squater at my co-workers place. He was a good rider.

For $1,000 if the motor blows......I part it out for almost what I have into it.

I'm signing up for the MSF today...somehow...the wife wants me to sign her up for it tooo

that was after I told her the motorcycle was about as fast as her four banger accord
Old 07-03-2008, 10:21 AM
The sizzle in the Steak

see, those are my thoughts exactly. On top of it, we know who the guy that stole the bike was. He was an old squater at my co-workers place. He was a good rider.

For $1,000 if the motor blows......I part it out for almost what I have into it.

I'm signing up for the MSF today...somehow...the wife wants me to sign her up for it tooo

that was after I told her the motorcycle was about as fast as her four banger accord
I think both of you will have a good time at the MSF.
You will learn alot.

Quick Reply: Anyone own a new Ninja 250R?