Any forum like this one for the Honda Pilot?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2011, 05:31 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
I tested an Xterra with my Mom a few years ago. Pilot is bigger/less cramped but the Xterra is most certainly better off-road. Again, we will have had our Pilot for four years in a couple of weeks and it's a tank.
Old 01-08-2011, 08:45 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,230 Likes on 2,612 Posts
Originally Posted by MR1
After the sunroof became available for the Pilot it became mostly which look you like. I waited for the 2003 Pilot then didn't like available features. I also wanted a console mounted shifter. That plus the price was so close with Honda additional dealer mark-up. MDX also had better warranty new. Hard to go wrong with either one.
For us, it was the 8 seating and rear entertainment system (RES). The RES was available on the Pilot first before the MDX. Honda kept adding features to the Pilot even before and after the MMC. (Sunroof, heated seats, better front lighting, DBW, ...).
Old 01-08-2011, 02:46 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 269 Likes on 229 Posts
well I am looking for an affordable SUV and xterra seems to be a little cheaper. Pilot is bigger but I don't have a family and 5 seats are just fine for me. The only thing is Pilot has better features than the xterra. So it's still a toss up between the 2, and I might even just go with something completely different. Didn't set my mind on anything yet. Thanks for the info.
Old 01-08-2011, 03:46 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Legend2TL
For us, it was the 8 seating and rear entertainment system (RES). The RES was available on the Pilot first before the MDX. Honda kept adding features to the Pilot even before and after the MMC. (Sunroof, heated seats, better front lighting, DBW, ...).
The problem is that on the Pilot, at least when we bought ours in 2007, you couldn't get the RES AND the navi system together, you had to pick one or the other. It was an inducement to upgrade to the MDX. We chose the navi because we travel enough to actually use one. In retrospect, we should have gone with the RES since we have our little one.
Old 01-10-2011, 10:14 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by neuronbob
The problem is that on the Pilot, at least when we bought ours in 2007, you couldn't get the RES AND the navi system together, you had to pick one or the other. It was an inducement to upgrade to the MDX. We chose the navi because we travel enough to actually use one. In retrospect, we should have gone with the RES since we have our little one.
Do you use this car in the winter? Not sure if there is snow where you are so I have to ask you. I am learning more and more about this car and it's AWD system. I know it's the same system as the xxxx-2006 MDX, FWD until it starts slipping then the rear kicks in... Is this good in the snow. I was reading on piloteers forum and some say it's a good system and some it's not that good and people are getting stuck in the snow. We have LOTS of snow up here in Canada and getting stuck wouldn't be a good thing at -40C
Old 01-10-2011, 12:02 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by myron
Do you use this car in the winter? Not sure if there is snow where you are so I have to ask you. I am learning more and more about this car and it's AWD system. I know it's the same system as the xxxx-2006 MDX, FWD until it starts slipping then the rear kicks in... Is this good in the snow. I was reading on piloteers forum and some say it's a good system and some it's not that good and people are getting stuck in the snow. We have LOTS of snow up here in Canada and getting stuck wouldn't be a good thing at -40C
Yes, we do use our Pilot in the snow, and in my part of the Cleveland area we range from 100-130 inches of snow per season. It snows A LOT here. The Pilot rocks in the snow.

As far as getting stuck....you must be referring to people with the 2WD Pilot getting stuck. We have the "4WD" version. "4WD" in quotes because it has the VTM system. It also has a push-button diff lock for severely slippery conditions, or....in case you get stuck. We've never been stuck. With winter tires, the Pilot is simply unstoppable.

Here's a description of the "4WD" system:
Four-wheel-drive models feature Honda's full-time VTM-4 (Variable Torque Management 4WD) with an electronically locking rear differential. Most of the power is delivered to the front wheels, but Honda's system is a bit more proactive than most all-wheel-drive systems in the way it sends some of the power to the rear wheels any time the driver accelerates. A push-button differential lock improves traction in extremely slippery or stuck conditions by making sure both rear tires get power. So equipped, Honda rates the Pilot for what it calls medium off-road duty, including 30-degree dirt grades. The Pilot does not offer true off-road capability, but it's perfectly capable on gravel, rough dirt roads and two-tracks.
Old 01-10-2011, 12:29 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,230 Likes on 2,612 Posts
Yeah, the center console design limited the chose to none or only one. That was a advantage to the 1G MDX, one of our neighbors moved up from a 1G Pilot w/Nav to a 2G MDX and that was one of the smaller reasons (wife really wanted a new vehicle)

We choose the RES since our daughters were 6 and 9 at the time we got it and we've use the RES even on short trips and on long trips is a godsend. However nowadays with small GPS and DVD players, everyone can watch their own movie and have GPS.
Old 01-12-2011, 10:07 AM
Suzuka Master

Yes, we do use our Pilot in the snow, and in my part of the Cleveland area we range from 100-130 inches of snow per season. It snows A LOT here. The Pilot rocks in the snow.

As far as getting stuck....you must be referring to people with the 2WD Pilot getting stuck. We have the "4WD" version. "4WD" in quotes because it has the VTM system. It also has a push-button diff lock for severely slippery conditions, or....in case you get stuck. We've never been stuck. With winter tires, the Pilot is simply unstoppable.

Here's a description of the "4WD" system:
Thanks for the info. I was a little skeptical about the 4WD system and how it worked but I got to drive my girlfriend's dad's 2003 MDX and I was pleasantly surprised. It handled very very well in the snow, and only on all season tires, which seemed quiet used up. I can only imagine what it handles like with new winter tires.
I drove on pure ice pretty much so when ever I was in a turn I could feel the front end slipping and sliding forward but then I would just give it a little gas and the car would just straighten out and go where I intended it to go. I liked it very much.