Another TSX Test Drive Review

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2003, 01:44 PM
It's Always Shabbat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another TSX Test Drive Review

Well, I took my ride to the dealer to get an oil change and for a transmission check because I'm paranoid after hearing all the stories here (all is well with my 01-s 42k btw).. So I decided to check out the TSX and what do you know, a salesman actually came up to me and offered to let me take it out.. That's (literally) never happened to me (22 yrs old)..

Long story short.. The car is much too quiet for me.. I like the young cool guy feeling of driving the CL.. somewhat sporty, somewhat luxury.. but the TSX is all quiet and boring and accordish.. it's slow.. i floored it and never flung back in my seat or felt balance swing a little as my CL does.. no pep.. if i had to squeeze through two cars or get over quickly i dont feel like i could.. not nearly like i can in my CL..

maybe im just spoiled by my car.. but the TSX leaves a lot to be desired in terms of speed.. it handled no differently than my car either.. what i did notice was how incredibly quiet the cabin is.. and i really like the look of the dash and the look from behind the car.. very sexy...

radio stinks.. blue on greyish color needs work.. dual climate was nice but the position of all the buttons is still not there.. i like how the CL heated seats buttons are tucked in a little.. on the TSX they're in the open.. not clean enough for me..

but a nice car for a 40 year old i guess who doesnt care much for speed, but does require a smooth quiet comfortable ride..

is the stereo bose? Salesmen kept telling me it is but I saw no mention of bose anywhere and it sure didnt sound that great..
Old 05-29-2003, 03:46 PM
Cajun Gumbo Man

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts
If it doesn't say "BOSE" it ain't Bose.........Why wouldn't they put Bose ??????????????????????
I'm 43 and DON'T LIKE A GRANNY QUITE CABIN and Slow at that ! I'm not impressed with it.....
Old 05-29-2003, 04:05 PM
Not AtlCl98 or Atl-CL

did u drive the automatic?
Old 05-29-2003, 04:08 PM
Cajun Gumbo Man

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts
The looks of the car is NOT appealing, therefore not interested in Driving a MT or slush box TSX.
Thanks !
Old 05-29-2003, 07:01 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Another TSX Test Drive Review

Originally posted by elliot
... So I decided to check out the TSX and what do you know, a salesman actually came up to me and offered to let me take it out.. That's (literally) never happened to me (22 yrs old)..
That happened to me when I was looking at the CL 6 speed... he didn't have to offer twice. (also 22)
Old 05-29-2003, 10:19 PM
Old timer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've driven our TSX Auto demo a couple times now and I usually come back with a smile on my face. The engine is powerful enough to move the car well and the sportshift's letting you drop down to first and not auto-shifting you into 2nd is a nice change from the CLS.

The CLS is such an old person's design compared to the TSX. The TSX is marketed primarily to mid 20s to mid 30s and it really fits that age group to a T. Sexy interior, lotsa features, enough performance to pass and get out of its own way even with 4 passengers, and 4 doors.

I think the exterior could be shaped a little better but it's still a sweet car. Perfect competition for the A4, IS300, and S40, just as it's supposed to be.
Old 05-29-2003, 10:21 PM
Best D-Line in the NFL

Location: Gainesville, Fl for college, Palm Beach Gardens, Fl at Home
i think interior is nice, engine sucks, id take Cl-S anyday. I hate all these bitches who complain about their Cl-S, our Acura's are damn nice.
Old 05-30-2003, 12:06 AM

I looked at one tonight at the dealership. This one had the gunmetal grey rims, silver interior accent trim package, fog lights, body molding kit, etc
Total came to like $29K!!!

For the $, I'd take a stick IS300 over it.

The rear does look great, I didn't know it was sooo tall in the back!

Also, I like the way the headlights look too, narrow.

The sides stick out. Seems like they would door ding easily.
Old 05-30-2003, 12:08 AM
Safety Car

The 2003 CL-S (at least the 6spd) have the seat heater buttons expoesed behind the parking brake lever.
Old 05-30-2003, 07:56 AM
Old timer

This motor has SO much potential. There will be a lot of mods coming out for it, especially compared to the CLS.
Old 05-30-2003, 08:01 AM
It's Always Shabbat

jrock, you and me must have looked at different cars.. yeah i drove the automatic, and the engine was slacking.. i floored it and had to wait a second for it to move.. and when it did, it wasn't too powerful ... this is competition for an a4, not a is300 or the others.. this is not nearly as nice as an a4, and the interior sucks compared to an a4, but it's a nicer exterior, imo.

nice interior in the tsx? you guyhs have different tastes than i do.. hate those oval shape with clicky buttons
Old 05-30-2003, 09:07 AM
Liquid Ice

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
You need some extra speed? Just wait till Hytech fits their kit on the TSX

http://www.vtec.net/articles/view-ar...icle_id=101836
Old 05-30-2003, 09:13 AM
Old timer

jrock, you and me must have looked at different cars.. yeah i drove the automatic, and the engine was slacking.. i floored it and had to wait a second for it to move.. and when it did, it wasn't too powerful ... this is competition for an a4, not a is300 or the others.. this is not nearly as nice as an a4, and the interior sucks compared to an a4, but it's a nicer exterior, imo.

nice interior in the tsx? you guyhs have different tastes than i do.. hate those oval shape with clicky buttons
I really dunno what car you testdrove. Certainly doesn't sound like the TSX.

The only complaint I can find with the TSX, which is what I drove, is the lack of power passenger seat.

Also the exterior design is very nice up front but I find the rear quarters to be too big and square.
Old 05-30-2003, 09:18 AM
Racer

I also test drove one yesterday. I was impressed with everything but the engine. Perhaps it is because it was an automatic (so i trying to convince myself), but i only get the feel of vtec when i put it in auto mode, when i go in sportshift mode, i couldn't get any vtec kicks. I was quite disappointed with the power, i rather have my 3.0 CL !

BUT i really love the interior and everything else !
Old 05-30-2003, 10:17 AM
Three Wheelin'

Everyone who's complaining about the engine on the TSX are comparing it the CL's engine. Of course it won't feel as powerful! It's like an A6 2.7t owner complaining that the A4 1.8t is "nice but underpowered." If you're going to compare engines, compare it to engines in the same class (A4 1.8t, 325, etc) If you drove those cars, I don't think your comparison would be quite as lopsided.
Old 05-30-2003, 10:47 AM
It's Always Shabbat

im sure that's true.. but i was strictly comparing it to the CL and therefore to waht i am used to and now (scarily) demand
Old 05-30-2003, 10:54 AM
'Big Daddy Diggler'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Say what you want about the car but the K24 powerplant is one of Hondas best 4 cylinder motors and the potential that car has is ridiculous.
Old 05-30-2003, 11:08 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Re: Another TSX Test Drive Review

it handled no differently than my car either..
:w-hat:

This is not true.
Old 05-30-2003, 11:09 AM
Suzuka Master

I agree that the TSX is too slow.
Old 05-30-2003, 11:31 AM
Three Wheelin'

im sure that's true.. but i was strictly comparing it to the CL and therefore to waht i am used to and now (scarily) demand
That's fine. The TSX isn't designed for people who already own a car in a higher class. BMW isn't trying to lure people away from a 5 series to get them into a 3. Audi isn't courting A6 owners when marketing an A4. So there's little point in a TL/CL owner getting a TSX. Acura wants the TL/CL owners to get the new TL (which will cost more than the current). I just see little point in cutting down a car for it's lack of power when it's as powerful as it's intended competition...
Old 05-30-2003, 11:36 AM
Racer

Perhaps the K24 does have "ridiculus" potential for modding. However, stock wise, for the price of the TSX, there just isn't the usual bang for the buck feel with Acura. Its kind of like a bmw 323, all nice and stuff, but under powered and pricey. THis is not to say that i think HP=price, but just a little disappointed, thats all.
Old 05-30-2003, 11:38 AM
Advanced

Autoweek.com has their review of the TSX. They gave very good ratings, comparing against a BMW 3 series
Old 05-30-2003, 11:46 AM
It's Always Shabbat

if you are willing to spend about $26k, you're better off getting an Audi, IMO.. I agree with the post above-- the quality/price is not there this time.. and yes, the handling felt exactly like my 2001 CL-S stock.. i didnt feel an improvement.. and that includes taking turns and pushing it a little

I still like the car, just not for myself.. that's all... i'm not putting it down, just giving it a review relative to my preferences
Old 05-30-2003, 01:22 PM
Three Wheelin'

if you are willing to spend about $26k, you're better off getting an Audi, IMO.. I agree with the post above-- the quality/price is not there this time.. and yes, the handling felt exactly like my 2001 CL-S stock.. i didnt feel an improvement.. and that includes taking turns and pushing it a little

I still like the car, just not for myself.. that's all... i'm not putting it down, just giving it a review relative to my preferences
Honestly, the TSX isn't for me either. I'm in a position where the next TL would make more sense for me. But the TSX is a great car even with the automatic I tested, I didn't think it was underpowered at all. I just think it's a perfect fit for the class it's in.
Old 05-30-2003, 01:54 PM
6SPDCLS

Not to knock the TSX (since I've never ridden in one)...I can only imagine the lack of TORQUE on that car...just like the S2000...pricing wise, damn, it's steeeeep...why not buy the new accord V6 w/MT? More power, more torque...styling is ok..but shit, the TSX rear looks just like a camry!

And what is this K24 potential? Man, in stock form, it's like what it is now...I'm sure if you dump enough money on any car, it will go faster than in stock form.

I almost bought an S2000 back before I purchased my 01 CLS. The Six speed transmission was a minor detraction for me, but the car was like $41,000 at a HONDA DEALER....FUCK THAT. I don't care how go-kart like the S2k is...for a no torque 4 banger for $41k? bullshit...same thing goes with the TSX..it's has a nice interior..but damn, $27k for that car is a bit pricey..considering a puny ass 2.4L 4banger no matter what "potential"...
Old 05-30-2003, 04:05 PM
It's Always Shabbat

the tsx drives like an accord.. boring, yet comfortable. and it handles like an accord too.. paying 26k for that car is beyond me. i'd much rather an accord and save a couple bucks, or buy an a4 and deal with 170hp.
Old 05-30-2003, 04:18 PM
The Third Ball

Received 5,051 Likes on 2,685 Posts
the tsx drives like an accord.. boring, yet comfortable. and it handles like an accord too.. paying 26k for that car is beyond me. i'd much rather an accord and save a couple bucks, or buy an a4 and deal with 170hp.
Well the TSX IS an accord. With the ever changing economy the price of cars is constantly being driven upwards. The TSX and its price paves the way for the future TL and its increase in cost. It will all become relative.

IMHO I really like the TSX I think its a great looking car with an excellent interior and fun to drive. BUT since the only thing that really concerns when performance is in question is highway driving I would personally take the IS300. The V6 will still be a better performer at top end speeds on the highway. That and you just cant beat lexus service. I need to drive them again back to back i might be willing to change my opinion on that one cause i like both cars so damn much.

You also keep mentioning the A4 which is cool. Lots of people like it, but that is one car I dont like. Ive had a bad taste in my mouth for Audi ever since I almost bought a used A4 3.0 quattro 5spd. I dont care for the interior or the way they feel and i really dont trust their reliabilty. But that is just me and thats why there are so many different makes to choose from.
Old 05-30-2003, 09:55 PM
Old timer

Originally posted by DDT-TypeS
Not to knock the TSX (since I've never ridden in one)...I can only imagine the lack of TORQUE on that car...
166ft-lb man. Plenty. It moves with four people in it. It's not a race car, stop acting like it's trying to be one and then complaining when it doesn't stand up to your standards for a race car.

if you are willing to spend about $26k, you're better off getting an Audi,
$26k will barely get you an A4 1.8t auto without Quattro, and without ANY options packages. If you load it out the way the TSX comes standard, you'd be pushing $30-31k easily. Bang-for-the-buck, the TSX is all over the A4. Not to mention the MUCH roomier rear seating in the TSX and I think the trunk is bigger too.
Old 05-30-2003, 10:02 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Originally posted by JRock

$26k will barely get you an A4 1.8t auto without Quattro, and without ANY options packages. If you load it out the way the TSX comes standard, you'd be pushing $30-31k easily. Bang-for-the-buck, the TSX is all over the A4. Not to mention the MUCH roomier rear seating in the TSX and I think the trunk is bigger too.

Get can i get an amen!
Old 05-30-2003, 10:31 PM
TQ > MPG

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I drove a 6 speed, and to be honest wasn't mightily impressed. For someone who doesn't need a whole lot of power it's a decent car. The one I drove was $27k. 200hp isn't really enough to make people go from a BMW to an Acura. In the end it boils down to that most people will pay a couple extra grand for the BMW name and a torquey I-6. Just my thoughts though, and I'm sure the people who buy the TSX will be very pleased with it.
Old 05-31-2003, 02:33 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by jtkz13
I drove a 6 speed, and to be honest wasn't mightily impressed. For someone who doesn't need a whole lot of power it's a decent car. The one I drove was $27k. 200hp isn't really enough to make people go from a BMW to an Acura. In the end it boils down to that most people will pay a couple extra grand for the BMW name and a torquey I-6. Just my thoughts though, and I'm sure the people who buy the TSX will be very pleased with it.
1. 200hp might not seem like much but it's still 16 more than the 325 and the torque isn't all that much lower. I'm pretty sure the TSX is faster than the 325. To those who say it's underpowered compared to the competition I ask, "have you driven the TSX AND it's competition?"

2. A pretty loaded TSX comes in at $26.5K. A base 325 starts at $27.8K. Get any options and you're looking at way over thirty. So "most people will pay a couple extra grand for the BMW" will actually boil down to quite a few thousand.

But that's just my two cents.
Old 05-31-2003, 03:00 AM
TQ > MPG

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
From the small amount of research I just did it looks like C&D got a 15.5 1/4 mile for the TSX, and for a 2001 325i they got a 15.4. So, I wouldn't make assumptions just yet. The BMW I-6's are known to run strong for their hp level.
Old 05-31-2003, 07:04 AM
Old timer

For C&D numbers those actually sound believable. In general though, don't bother quoting C&D numbers around here because they can't drive.

Btw the exact prices in my area are $26990 for non-navi, $28990 for navi.
Old 05-31-2003, 11:46 AM
Suzuka Master

I think the TSX is awesome, except for the engine and the Camry like Styling in the back.
Old 05-31-2003, 12:53 PM
Safety Car

Originally posted by jtkz13
From the small amount of research I just did it looks like C&D got a 15.5 1/4 mile for the TSX
C/D-estimated performance (6-sp)

i'm curious how the 325i- 27k+ can be tsx competition, yet the g35 isn't included as competition- 27k+.
Old 05-31-2003, 04:33 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Originally posted by heyitsme
C/D-estimated performance (6-sp)

i'm curious how the 325i- 27k+ can be tsx competition, yet the g35 isn't included as competition- 27k+.

g35 is a full size sedan.
Old 05-31-2003, 06:18 PM
Safety Car

ehh, speaking for myself, if i have 30k to spend, i'm not going to eliminate cars because they aren't in the same 'physical size' class.

think the tsx's saving grace is the aftermarket, if it takes off like the rsx.
Old 05-31-2003, 06:27 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Originally posted by heyitsme
ehh, speaking for myself, if i have 30k to spend, i'm not going to eliminate cars because they aren't in the same 'physical size' class.

think the tsx's saving grace is the aftermarket, if it takes off like the rsx.
Price is a factor but size is as well. If i had a full size family and RWD v. FWD wasn't an issue for me then I really wouldn't consider the TSX. G35 is more appealing at that point.