Advice for a people mover

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2005, 07:46 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Advice for a people mover

Ok, as much as I hate to start thinking about this, within the next 6 months or so, I'll need to trade in one of my sedans for a people mover. My wife and I are expecting our third kid, so we'll need something that can fit three car seats. So, I'm looking for some advice and info to back up the advice (e.g. experience with similar situations would be great). What should I look at?

Here are my wants/needs:

1) Need to be able to fit at least 2 adults and 3 infants/toddlers in car seats (one of them will be rear facing for the first year).
2) Need to be able to fit some cargo in addition to #1 above (e.g. a stroller or 2, groceries, etc.).
3) Want to maximize "fun to drive" factor. (I know, this one sounds oxymoronic, but I'm still shooting for it).
4) Need to be able to fit into a standard garage.
5) Want to have decent fuel economy (in the 20s or close to it).
6) Need something high quality (Honda/Toyota quality preferred).

So, what are my choices? Of course, the obvious choice is a minivan, but my wife and I both hate this idea (although we think it's the most realistic). However, I'd like to hear from others that went this route anyway. I'd also like some alternatives, but I'm not sure what fits the bill. Help, please.
Old 01-02-2005, 01:28 PM
Three Wheelin'

Since you need to carry three infants/toddlers get used to the idea of a minivan. The Toyota and the new Honda are awfully nice. My aunt has the toyota and it's like driving a Lexus.
Old 01-02-2005, 07:13 PM
Mile High

Toyota Sequoia
Acura MDX
Nissan Pathfinder
Nissan Pathfinder Armada
if you have a big wallet possibly Infiniti QX56 or Lexus GX470

Honda doesent make something big enough

and by all means dont get a minivan
Old 01-02-2005, 10:07 PM
Gearhead

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts
First off all I can say is your poor bastard. I was faced with that choice as well a while ago. I took a different tact rather than minivan or SUV. I bought a hi-performance wagon with a 3rd row seat. You neglected to mention price range so tough to advise you on that area.

I bought an Audi allroad. It had a fast twin turbo motor, AWD and available 6MT tranny. It fit in a standard garage, great build quality and dead a great job in terrible weather. I drove it in snow deeper than the wheels with no issues and airbags everywhere coupled with nice toasty seats.

Another options might be a Volvo or MB wagon. Again without knowing price range tough to suggest. Possibly considered a certified used Audi or MB if price is an option. The Audi definitely had a great fun to drive factor and if you want more HP it is only a chip away and you can have a 5 second 0-60 family car without the terrible mileage of a big sport ute.
Old 01-02-2005, 10:15 PM
Mile High

Originally Posted by wavshrdr
First off all I can say is your poor bastard. I was faced with that choice as well a while ago. I took a different tact rather than minivan or SUV. I bought a hi-performance wagon with a 3rd row seat. You neglected to mention price range so tough to advise you on that area.

I bought an Audi allroad. It had a fast twin turbo motor, AWD and available 6MT tranny. It fit in a standard garage, great build quality and dead a great job in terrible weather. I drove it in snow deeper than the wheels with no issues and airbags everywhere coupled with nice toasty seats.

Another options might be a Volvo or MB wagon. Again without knowing price range tough to suggest. Possibly considered a certified used Audi or MB if price is an option. The Audi definitely had a great fun to drive factor and if you want more HP it is only a chip away and you can have a 5 second 0-60 family car without the terrible mileage of a big sport ute.

Allroads are sick
Old 01-02-2005, 10:24 PM
Comptech Freak

Odessey
Old 01-02-2005, 11:39 PM
Banned

Go Import...the quality of the big three has fallen so much that it ain't funny.
Old 01-03-2005, 01:59 AM
Cruisin'

subaru outback?
Old 01-03-2005, 07:38 AM
Intermediate

Go with the Sienna

Sienna - with the seating for 8 option. You want to put all 3 kids in the middle row. The Oddessy doesn't have the option for the 3 accross middle row. You don't want to be crawling in the back to strap in a kid.
Old 01-03-2005, 08:35 AM
Racer

Great advice guys! Keep it coming.

I've considered a wagon, but the problem with all of them I've seen is that the 3rd row is either facing back or way too small for car seats (and not safe for them). In fact, even a lot of the mid-sized sport utes have a third row that does not include LATCH for car seats. I'm guessing this is because the mfg does not recommend putting them back there?

Has anyone had experience with actually using car seats in the third row of either a wagon or small/mid-sized sport ute? Does the mfg advise it?

Obviously, the safety of the kids is of upmost importance although I neglected to include that in my original post.

As for the suggestions so far, here's what I think off the top of my head:

Too big:
Sequoia
Armada

To expensive:
Lexus GX470
Infinity QX56
MB wagon

Too small?
Outback
Volvo wagon
Audi wagon (maybe too much $$ too)

Potential:
Acura MDX/Honda Pilot
Nissan Pathfinder
Honda Odyssey
Toyota Sienna

Help. There's gotta be more choices out there?
Old 01-03-2005, 10:27 AM
Instructor

don't forget the nissan Quest.....it's ugly but it is a choice
Old 01-03-2005, 10:34 AM
Mile High

Go with an MDX, Im not sure if you have a TL but if you dont have a car do not get a minivan. However if you have a TL possibly get a minivan so you always have a car to go fast with.

If you have to get a minivan go with a Dodge or Chrysler, I know they arent Jap, but they are top rated.

Jap Minivans have too-extreme styling and look worse than my ass

Possibly try a Nissan Pathfinder or Xterra, they recently redesigned the pathfinder and i think its bigger.
Old 01-03-2005, 11:39 AM
Intermediate

Let me repeat myself

If you have 3 small kids in car seats, you do not want a vechical that you are going to have to put one in the 3rd row. I don't know about safety issues, but consider the contortions that you will have to do to get a kid into that 3rd row seat. I know it's tough enough for me to get my twin 3 year olds into the car seats in my TL and my wifes Oddessy. I can't imagine lifting them into the back seat and then trying to buckle them in, while squeezing between, or leaning over the second row seats (with car seats attached). Think about this carefully

When my wife was pregnant, she too couldn't see herself in a minivan and she bought a Toyota Highlander. A verry nice SUV by the way. It didn't have the 3rd row seat and everytime we had company we had to take 2 cars to go anywhere. This lasted about 1 1/2 years before she traded it in for a minivan.

Since we only had 2 kids, we had more choices, but you will need something that can fit 3 accross. The Odessy, AFAIK, only seats 2 in the mid row so that elimnates that. I suggest you look at the Sienna, or a big old boat car, but keep in mind that loading the baby in the middle seat of a big old sedan will still require more bending and lifting than in an SUV or minivan which tend to be higher off the ground. Don't know how tall you are, but I'm 6'3" and it's much easier to get my kids into the minivan than the TL.

Once again, think not only about where 3 car seats will fit, but also what you will have to do to get your kids into and out of them.
Old 01-03-2005, 12:10 PM
Racer

Thanks ifrisbee. I guess I am under the impression that most minivans these days have the ability to move the 2nd row seats to accomodate either a pass-thru in the middle, or have the 2 seats pushed to one side for easy access to the third row. Maybe I'm dead wrong, but the latter is the setup that I've been envisioning as the most convenient. Even so, for the first 6 months, one of the 2nd rowers would be in an infant carrier, so slipping past the base wouldn't be much of a problem. After that, having a full size rear facing car seat would certainly be inconvenient. This would only last 6 months though too.

As for three across, the car seats that I have are pretty darned big. Even in cars built for 3 passengers across, I doubt that getting these things in there would be terribly easy (not sure if it's even possible?). Plus, once they're in there, there would be no way to get to the third row.
Old 01-03-2005, 12:35 PM
Gearhead

One of the reasons I went with the allroad and the 3rd seat is depending on the car seats I could fit 2 normal child car seats and one infant seat in the 2nd row. As the children grew it gave me a way to split them up so they didn't fight with each other. My oldest childe was 2-3 years older than the others so he was a little more self sufficient and could buckle himself in and I'd just check his restraints.

I didn't really find any minvans (at that time) where I could fit 3 car seats across any better than the Audi allroad. The Audi retained the FTD factor. With its adjustable suspension I could keep the car at the level that was more comfortable to load the kids up and then adjust it later for the roads or conditions. Loading them in the rear seats was quite easy with the allroad on the high setting. It worked well for me and the conditions I drove in. Most fun I could find and still fit the kids. Even without the kids it was still fun.
Old 01-03-2005, 12:36 PM
Intermediate

2nd row pass through

I know with our Odessy, it is a tigh squeeze to get in the back for me. But I am not a small person. When you shop try it for yourself, them imagine doing that while lifting/carrying a kid. Also think of how you need to twist to put the same kid in the car seat.

As for folding down the seat to gain entry to the rear. Make sure you can do it with a car seat installed. Most I've seen won't fold forward with a car seat in place.

I know the Sienna (with 2nd row bench) will fit what you need, since the people who bought our previous house had 3 small ones, 2 toddlers and an infant and they fit all 3 car seats in the middle row.

You say it will only be a short time. Is your oldest almost old enough that he/she can climb in the back and belt/unbelt him/herself in?
Old 01-03-2005, 04:43 PM
Chris

Check out the Chrysler Pacifica. I had one as a rental car and they are nice. I don't know if it can fit 3 kid seats in the back, but the fit and finish as well as comfort and space were top notch..Thinking of getting one and I have no kids to haul around.

Good luck.
Old 01-03-2005, 09:48 PM
Racer

My oldest just turned 2, and she's just starting to climb in herself. By the time the 3rd comes, I suspect she will almost be able to buckle herself in. The only thing that will stop her will be the weird buckle on one of the car seats - it's like a puzzle piece and I still have a problem with it sometimes.

I'm glad to hear that 3 car seats can fit in the back seats of some cars. This was my major concern. I'll have to investigate this option more, because I would really love to be able to get into a wagon instead of an SUV or minivan.

I like the looks and style of the Pacifica (compared to a traditional minivan or SUV). Only 2 things that concern me about that - quality and the powertrain. I want enough oomf to get going with a loaded car, and it sounds like the Pacifica is lacking a bit in that area (due somewhat to the weight of course). Also, the quality of Chrysler products still concerns me. Anyway, I think that is still worthy of looking into.

I did find two other vehicles that are similar to the Pacifica - the Ford Freestyle and Chevy Uplander. Again, the quality aspect concerns me, but I think I might at least look into these two a bit more.

As for folding down a seat with a car seat in it, I doubt you can do it. What I was referring to here was the ability to get into a third row (of say, a minivan or SUV) when there are 3 car seats in the second row. It seems like putting 3 car seats in the middle row would negate the usefulness of the third row. There may be some times when we may want more than just me, my wife, and the kids in the "bus".

Thanks for everyone's advice here - this is all good stuff!
Old 01-03-2005, 10:14 PM
Gearhead

I liked the Pacifica in some ways and you can pick them up dirt cheap. Good AV systems too BUT the lack of cajones was a real issue. It is a big heavy car and has that little tiny motor. Mileage wasn't great either. It could be a cool car if they dropped in the 4.7 motor they run in the Gr. Cherokee as mileage wouldn't be much worse as you have to drive that 6cylinder flat out to merge with traffic.
Old 01-03-2005, 11:06 PM
i souport publik edekason

All great advice...

My wife and I have two boys of our own and currently own a Saturn Vue which works well for our current situation... It is my experience that three car seats (granted one is smaller then the rest - older child) will fit in my Vue so in most wagons should not be a problem...

Now we too are planning for a third and so have started to research what would be available... My wife being less pragmatic than I is obstinant in not getting a minivan... Although even she is changing her thinking... especially after having test driven the new Honda Odyssey...

WOW... what an improvement...

There was an article posted a while back at temple of VTEC and posts which mentioned the article in here... Anyway the temple of VTEC article mentioned how driving this new Odyssey especially in the "touring" trim felt more like driving a large ubereuro sedan (bmw 7 et al)... I can confirm that... it does not feel, drive, or brake like a minivan...

Kudos to Honda beautiful job... When the lease on my Saturn is up we will be getting into the Odyssey.

Best of luck with your decision... but the pragmatic decision here for a familiy your size and with the requirements you put forth is the minivan... Having said that your only choice is as you yourself mentioned, Honda or Toyota... I can tell you that it took me an entire year to research and finally purchase my 04TL... (I research the crap out of stuff) and so between the Toyota and Honda...

The 05 Honda Odyssey is the only choice to make.

Good luck
Bonne chance
Buena suerte
Viel glueck
Buona fortuna
Boa sorte
よい運
좋은 운
祝好运

Ciao