View Poll Results: Which weekend warrior
NSX
72.00%
Elise
30.00%
No Whiskers, this isn't Ramblings, but OTHER option
12.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Acura vs Lotus weekend warrior.. which and why!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2011, 11:18 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 83 Likes on 48 Posts
elise turns more heads and turns better. I vote Lotus.
Old 12-13-2011, 11:30 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,194 Likes on 687 Posts
Originally Posted by silver3.5
oh oh...i feel like the forum police is out today! can't seem to take opinions! e-thugs! funny!
Opinions? Is that what they're calling ignorance now-a-days?

Again, you obviously don't what you're talking about regarding that particular car. I have spent quite a considerable amount of time with that car & its owner, watching it evolve into the track car it is becoming. It is not rice, & that is a fact. APR has a very long background in motorsports, so I'm pretty damn sure they know how to make their parts functional.

Unless of course, you have some sort of higher know-how than them, but I'm not betting on it. You just don't come across as someone with that kind of intelligence.
The following 3 users liked this post by Rick_TL-S:
juniorbean (12-15-2011), MarbleGT (12-13-2011), trancemission (12-13-2011)
Old 12-13-2011, 11:40 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,090 Likes on 767 Posts
to answer the initial question... the car will be meant as a cruiser for weekend road trips, etc... i agree that my wife will prob be moe comfy in the NSX cockpit with leather and some sound dampening... it will rarely see a track, unless Trance eggs me to take on his black beauty...

Originally Posted by trancemission
This is tough for me....I was looking at the NSX before I decided on the Elise.

I say get the NSX, then when you move back to Dallas we can switch
like when we used to swap TLs for a few days... lol you know what bro,i actually thought about that the other day!!! hahahha...

Originally Posted by nspec_ya4
On NSX, I'd say be careful with the 90's model. I have seen several ones with parts worn out, especially bushings, seals etc.
I'm with Sarlacc... the dream for me would be an Imola Orange NSX-T... there is an '02 asking $60k? but i don't have that kind of coin... to make this price comparison realistic, it would have to be a 90's model... and yes you are right with finding a clean one... most of the ones i have found are either Rebuilt Titles, Modded like crap, or has like 8 owners... i plan to keep the car as stock looking as possibly... well maybe a few appearance mods...

Originally Posted by ThermonMermon
id go with the NSX.

if you needed to have "discussions with your wife", then getting a lotus could be pushing it. especially if you need to have fingers crossed that you could keep the weekend warrior when the kids come. she will most likely hate the jarring ride of the lotus, meaning it will be harder to convince her to hold on to it when kids come, or when any type of financial strain rears its head. it will also be a tough sell to spend $$ modding on a car she dislikes. also, not to mention, the NSX is much more child friendly. the nsx makes more sense in this situation hands down.

any thoughts on a S2K with performance mods? or possibly a Z4M coupe? they could be had for very cheap these days.
that is a good point... once the time comes for kids, i most likely will be trading in one of the cars for an SUV (i have also been looking at MDXs)... my neighbor just bought a brand new Sienna last week... as nice as the swaggerwagon is, i can't imagine myself driving that thing...

i initially had the S2K in my search, but ruled it out as not 'exotic' enough... no offense to the S2K owners... i love the platform and think it is an amazing well built car... but i would like something MORE different... and outside of an Acura meet, i have only seen a handful of NSX's driving around the roads... even less Lotus...
Old 12-13-2011, 12:05 PM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

Received 205 Likes on 128 Posts
Originally Posted by silver3.5
You call a riced out Elise exotic? Try again!
riced in my opinion would mean that none of what I have on there performs any function....

Everything aerodynamic on that car serves a purpose in a big way.

Its not civic dude.
Old 12-13-2011, 12:20 PM
'08 MX5 GT 6spd.

Received 1,192 Likes on 485 Posts
Completely different cars, IMO.

The NSX is something that you both can go to dinner in, or tear up some curvy roads in for hours. Easy to live with. MUCH more aftermarket/easier to repair.

The Elise is 95% track toy and much more exotic. After an hour in it, you want to scream. If you've talked to someone that daily's their Elise and "loves it," they're lying.

Entirely depends on what you are wanting to do with it. Myself, I have a wierd obsession with small cars. I have a wierder obsession with cars you can take the top off on (NSX-T ). So both are winners in my book. However, If I couldn't budget for a 1997> NSX, I wouldn't do it.

LOL@riced out Elise.

Last edited by MarbleGT; 12-13-2011 at 12:23 PM.
Old 12-13-2011, 12:44 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 740 Likes on 309 Posts
Originally Posted by MaxMike93
NSX. More refined, great looks (I'm not fond of the Elise/Exige), and wasn't it what some say is what got Ferrari to get the stick outta their @$$ and make better super cars? I'm not trying to hate on the Elise, but when I stand next to one (a kid at my school commutes with an Exige every day) I can't help but wonder how the hell I'd ever fit with one. And I don't wanna know how an Elise would be on actual roads instead of a track.
Aside from the too small seats in my Elise which makes driving it all day slightly uncomfortable, it actually has a better ride than my DD, which is a Mini Clubman...True story!
Old 12-13-2011, 01:42 PM
Safety Car

Received 111 Likes on 79 Posts
maybe not your cup of tea, since they are more temperamental - but Z4 M Coupe...possibly Cayman S...

if your looking for head turns, the M Coupe will probably get you some. and stock, you could break into the 12s 1/4 mile

Z4M roadster <$25k

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...standard=false

Z4 M Coupe $26.5k

Last edited by ThermonMermon; 12-13-2011 at 01:50 PM.
Old 12-13-2011, 03:13 PM
Team Owner

Received 2,057 Likes on 1,142 Posts
NSX looks exotic. I bet the Elise is more fun to drive though. If you just want to creep around the neighborhood and look good I'd go with NSX. If you want something to put through it's paces on the track then go with Elise.
Old 12-13-2011, 03:13 PM
Senior Moderator

maybe not your cup of tea, since they are more temperamental - but Z4 M Coupe...possibly Cayman S...

if your looking for head turns, the M Coupe will probably get you some. and stock, you could break into the 12s 1/4 mile

Z4M roadster <$25k

Z4 M Coupe $26.5k

i am scarred with German cars and may never touch another one in my life... horror stories on MB and BMW from me and my friends... and after seeing the Brake job bill for my friend's 911, i almost passed out...

i plan to keep it long term so would like something i can do the maintenance on myself... The Elise shares the same engine as my Corolla... and mid 90's Acuras are usually pretty standard.
Old 12-13-2011, 03:22 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by MarbleGT
Completely different cars, IMO.

The NSX is something that you both can go to dinner in, or tear up some curvy roads in for hours. Easy to live with. MUCH more aftermarket/easier to repair.

The Elise is 95% track toy and much more exotic. After an hour in it, you want to scream. If you've talked to someone that daily's their Elise and "loves it," they're lying.

Entirely depends on what you are wanting to do with it. Myself, I have a wierd obsession with small cars. I have a wierder obsession with cars you can take the top off on (NSX-T ). So both are winners in my book. However, If I couldn't budget for a 1997> NSX, I wouldn't do it.

LOL@riced out Elise.
most of the 1G NSX-Ts i found aren't the color i want... i found alot of red and white models or versions in automatic... i'd prefer silver or black 5MT... black on ivory would be ideal to match my GS4.... but now im asking a bit much when i don't necessarily have the coin ready just yet...
Old 12-13-2011, 03:24 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by doopstr
NSX looks exotic. I bet the Elise is more fun to drive though. If you just want to creep around the neighborhood and look good I'd go with NSX. If you want something to put through it's paces on the track then borrow Trance's Elise.
that is a great idea...
Old 12-13-2011, 03:52 PM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

Originally Posted by KaMLuNg
that is a great idea...
gotta come down here first

I made it extra ricey for you
Old 12-13-2011, 04:17 PM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,102 Likes on 763 Posts
If neither a Miata nor S2000 are on the list, then get the NSX.
Old 12-13-2011, 04:32 PM
I drive a Subata.

Received 2,603 Likes on 1,571 Posts
gotta come down here first

I made it extra ricey for you
Old 12-13-2011, 09:02 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

Received 1,485 Likes on 1,049 Posts
After reading your second post, NSX all the way.

If you're looking at it from a financial POV, the NSX has probably depreciated as far as it ever will, while the Elise is still relatively new and has a way to go. So if selling it down the road is a high probability, NSX.
Old 12-13-2011, 10:16 PM
Safety Car

Received 111 Likes on 79 Posts
it really sounds like youve ruled out most reliable fun cars, with the exception of these two.

i say NSX all the way.

i agree with aman. nsx also works better as a family car...errr...a car not hated by the wife. and if a time comes where you may have to dump the car, there will be a strong urgency to dump the lotus before it further depreciates. whereas, you might be able to hold onto the NSX for more reasons than one - minimal depreciation, more wife/child friendly, and a much smoother ride. those same reasons apply to a better argument for you upfront to buy the nsx since it will hold its value well. hell, you could always tell the story of how Bat acquired his NSX for 25k, and will probably be able to sell it for more. buying a car like the elise may put you in the doghouse, regardless of what the wife says initially...and you might be heavily pressured to sell it on a daily basis.

that said, IMO, it just seems like the NSX will provide you with more carefree ownership...as opposed to some glitzy, unique track car, where there is constant paranoia of one day letting her go to good will. i mean, if youre on the fence between the two, the NSX is a safer bet for your 'situation'

Last edited by ThermonMermon; 12-13-2011 at 10:30 PM.
Old 12-13-2011, 10:52 PM
uʍop ǝpısdn ǝdʎʇ uɐɔ ı

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
Elise if you track every weekend, its uncomfortable and impractical for driving arround town with wife / doing odd errand.

NSX if you want to drive around town, go to track once in a blue moon. NSX = can go get groceries or go on trip with wife.
NSX to "non car people" looks like a ferrari or lamborghini.
Old 12-14-2011, 06:29 AM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

You guys would be surprised at how many people daily drive their Elise's
Not it any way am I saying you should but there are people who do.
Old 12-14-2011, 07:25 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
to answer the initial question... the car will be meant as a cruiser for weekend road trips, etc... i agree that my wife will prob be moe comfy in the NSX cockpit with leather and some sound dampening... it will rarely see a track, unless Trance eggs me to take on his black beauty...
If this is the case, I'd vote NSX... but only slightly. The Lotus is a great weekend car... but you specifically used the word "cruiser"... and that is where I think the NSX would be slightly better.

That said, the Elise has been on my short list for some time and we have been in one (we being my wife and I). Surprisngly, she loved it. It's a bit tight, but we're not tall by any means. It does not have a lot of creature comforts, but it would be our weekend car, so it's not 100% necessary... but boy did it ride well. We were not drivers (the owner took us each for a ride separately), but it was a freakin blast.

You guys would be surprised at how many people daily drive their Elise's
Not it any way am I saying you should but there are people who do.
Few guys at the local C&C drive theirs daily in the warm weather... then switch to their commuter when it's winter or nasty out. There is one guy I know of who drives his daily all year round. Several on the forums do as well...

Last edited by juniorbean; 12-14-2011 at 07:31 AM.
Old 12-14-2011, 10:35 AM
Senior Moderator

hell, you could always tell the story of how Bat acquired his NSX for 25k, and will probably be able to sell it for more.
except finding a clean NSX like Bat's for 25k are far and few... guess i'll have to keep looking while i save up my pennies... i'm taking one of the cars in for recall service this weekend and there is a used MDX on the lot that i want to let my wife test drive... too bad there isn't an NSX there
Old 12-14-2011, 08:49 PM
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
NSX... a lotus elise/exige can't sound like this car

skip to 1:00 to hear the exhaust
Old 12-14-2011, 09:17 PM
MechEng

Received 483 Likes on 400 Posts
^ thats the NSX with the RDX nav and interface right? what a masterpiece
Old 12-14-2011, 09:36 PM
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Ya it is, I found a whole article on it too!

http://jdmchicago.com/wp/2011/10/pro...991-acura-nsx/

To me, that car sounds way better than any italian exotic. It sounds like a F1!
Old 12-15-2011, 07:07 AM
Senior Moderator

yea i have seen Jeff's threads on prime... i think what he did with the interior conversion was just amazing... just a beautiful job... i didn't know he had engine/exhaust mods... sounds sick!!!
Old 12-15-2011, 12:05 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Lotus FTW
Old 12-15-2011, 12:21 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 740 Likes on 309 Posts
Originally Posted by drummer boy04

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDQuhvlATfk

You want a 4 cylinder to sound like a 6 cylinder?

I think my car sounds fine!
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/1af7n8neZmg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 12-15-2011, 01:45 PM
Senior Moderator

Holland Tunnel FTW...

the Elise shares the 1ZZ/2ZZ with the 9th gen Corolla... why doesn't mine sound like that!!!
Old 12-15-2011, 01:57 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Originally Posted by drummer boy04

I respect pretty much everything that car is and has had done to it... but that exhaust is a little obnoxious...
Old 12-16-2011, 05:31 PM
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
Holland Tunnel FTW...

the Elise shares the 1ZZ/2ZZ with the 9th gen Corolla... why doesn't mine sound like that!!!
this sharing of the Corolla motor would make me vote for the NSX. a Corolla motor VS a DOHC VTEC C32 is kind of a slanted argument.

don't get me wrong, Shoofin's vid of the Elise sounds good, but there's just something about that V6 in that NSX screaming that gets the blood tingling.

oh, and KamLung good luck finding an Imola Orange one. there were only 49 made, it's the automotive equivalent of the needle in the haysack.
Old 12-16-2011, 05:59 PM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Originally Posted by GoldenShoes
this sharing of the Corolla motor would make me vote for the NSX. a Corolla motor VS a DOHC VTEC C32 is kind of a slanted argument.

don't get me wrong, Shoofin's vid of the Elise sounds good, but there's just something about that V6 in that NSX screaming that gets the blood tingling.

oh, and KamLung good luck finding an Imola Orange one. there were only 49 made, it's the automotive equivalent of the needle in the haysack.
Just because it shares engines with a Corolla means you wouldn't choose the Elise? BTW, the Elise/Exige actually borrow from the Celica GT/GT-S. Why does that even matter? Ultimately the end performance result is what matters. And in any case the 2ZZ has continuously variable valve timing and lift, similar to i-VTEC, not the antiquated DOHC VTEC.

Another thing to note, the Lotus Evora uses a Camry's V6. If Lotus used the J-series and a K20 you'd probably be spooging all over the place.
Old 12-17-2011, 03:38 AM
Ultra Negro

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts
If I'm not mistaken wasn't the 2zz prone to bending valves? Just curious I know when i used to own a 2000 celcia GTS cousin of my that works at a dealership there says they always had one in with bent valves. maybe it was the 2000's

or was it oil pump I cant remember.

Last edited by OperationDarkie; 12-17-2011 at 03:45 AM.
Old 12-17-2011, 08:42 AM
Administrator Alumnus

Received 131 Likes on 82 Posts
I'd get both and be done.
Old 12-17-2011, 10:19 AM
The Box

Received 80 Likes on 59 Posts
My vote goes for the Lotus.
Old 12-17-2011, 01:08 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by GoldenShoes
Originally Posted by Scrib
I'd get both and be done.
with money anything is possible ehh
Old 12-17-2011, 03:40 PM
Scott

Received 156 Likes on 151 Posts
I vote nsx go acura. There both sweet cars.
Old 12-17-2011, 03:49 PM
05 WDP 6MT

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
my vote

Old 12-19-2011, 11:12 AM
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by BoricuaTL
my vote
Ugh, "flush" or "tucked" and NSX is a bad mix, and waste of a damn good car. Not trying to start a flame war, but I've seen much better looking NSXs than that one.