Acura vs Lexus

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 10:57 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Acura vs Lexus

Hi, I was checking some websites about cars and I saw this link on a website (Is acura better than lexus?) so I went there to check it out...
Look what this guy called "LEX" said:

"No. Lexus outdoes Acura in basically every way. Lexus is the #1 most reliable car, they have more luxury features, they're more expensive which equals more quality, they have bigger engines, RWD, etc. Acuras are nice, but Lexus is just more of a luxury car. Lexus competes with Mercedes, BMW, and Audi. Acura competes with Cadillac, Buick, and Mercury."

Sorry to post this kind of subject, but since Im an Acura owner, I don't feel that my car competes with Cadillac or Mercury...

What do you guys think??
Old 10-01-2009, 11:40 PM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
"LEX" sounds like an idiot.

They're more expensive which equals more quality?
They have bigger engines and RWD, which automatically makes them better?

Not very valid points to base an argument on. I will agree though, IMO Lexus is at a higher level of luxury than Acura is, and they offer more fancy-shmancy features, but Acura still has them beat in terms of sportiness.

The IS-F and IS250 6MT are the only semblances of sportiness that Lexus has to offer. Haven't driven either but I'm sure they still have the absolute-numb steering feel that the IS350 has. The IS-F is simply an IS350 with a powerful V8, overly harsh suspension, a gaudy body kit and some trim packages. There's no way in hell I'd pay $20,000 for an IS-F over an IS350, let alone get an IS350 in the first place.

Then again Lexus has huge success in the market.... its just that I personally don't find their cars very appealing with regards to driving dynamics. I feel like I'm playing a video game every time I drive a newer Toyota or Lexus. Everything is too quiet, including the engine note. The exhaust note is non-existent, even when I floor it in my sister's ES350. and because of that it feels slower than it really is. It all adds up to a driving experience that's lacking in excitement
Old 10-01-2009, 11:47 PM
The Third Ball

Received 5,056 Likes on 2,688 Posts
LEX....sounds like 1SICLEX....

He is an idiot.

But yes, as far as luxury and customer service is concerned Lexus is king over Acura.

In terms of service, Lexus just about beats everyone in the game.

Costco...I think is wrong but its his opinion. The IS-F is a great first attempt by Lexus for a high performance competitor. And it received the praise for it. Its not quite up to beating an M3. But its a good start.

ES350 was never made for performance.

And have you seen a SC430 on the autocross course? Its pretty shocking how well it does for a car of its size/weight.

But Lexus is a luxury car maker. Not a sports car company...but I think they are trying to find the best blend of the two they can. It'll take time. A company like bimmer has has had decades and decades to perfect it.
Old 10-02-2009, 01:21 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
I have owned a 01 CLS and now a 07 Lexus IS250 AWD. I loved the Acura apart from the tranny situation. The Lexus is as plush as the Acura was. I would say both are great cars. It just depends on the individual taste when one looks at both cars. The new Acuras look great as does the Lexus. My choice would have been a Lexus GS300 AWD but for the cost.

To each their own!!!
Old 10-02-2009, 01:57 AM
I shoot people

Received 3,039 Likes on 1,477 Posts
Is this a serious thread?
Old 10-02-2009, 07:31 AM
registered pw

Received 354 Likes on 252 Posts
sounds like 1sicklex
Old 10-02-2009, 08:55 AM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Originally Posted by Sarlacc
LEX....sounds like 1SICLEX....

He is an idiot.

But yes, as far as luxury and customer service is concerned Lexus is king over Acura.

In terms of service, Lexus just about beats everyone in the game.

Costco...I think is wrong but its his opinion. The IS-F is a great first attempt by Lexus for a high performance competitor. And it received the praise for it. Its not quite up to beating an M3. But its a good start.

ES350 was never made for performance.

And have you seen a SC430 on the autocross course? Its pretty shocking how well it does for a car of its size/weight.

But Lexus is a luxury car maker. Not a sports car company...but I think they are trying to find the best blend of the two they can. It'll take time. A company like bimmer has has had decades and decades to perfect it.
Sorry, let my bias sneak out a bit here, which is exactly why I try to maintain neutrality in comparisons I'll try and set it straight again.... I generally agree with you.

I really like Lexus and their direct-injected engines. The IS350 has some pretty serious pull compare to a TL, and even my sister's ES350 for comparison's sake. Very smooth too. I like how it stays in 1st in S mode unlike a lot of new Acuras, but the transmission has a slow upshift. The IS-F shifts pretty damn quick for an automatic. This problem wouldn't exist if Lexus offered the 6-speed manual on the IS350 though.

The IS-F is a good competitor to the M3 though, you can't say Acura has anything in the same segment to compete with BMW. I watched the Fifth Gear video of the IS-F a while back and its pretty damn capable. Its just that personally I would take an M3 any day over the IS-F, and bias aside, I would take a CTS-V over an M3, but that's another thread. Still, I make recommendations to people who are in the market to look at Lexus - and quite a few people have liked them. My sister bought an ES350 because I showed her one and she loved it.

They are great cars... just not for me.
Old 10-02-2009, 09:16 AM
dɐɹɔ ǝɥʇ ʇɐɥʍ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think the big problem is Acura trying to find it's place in the market, is it luxury, near luxury or sport luxury? No one knows! As where Lexus has defined itself in the market as the leader in luxury and service, and is now branching into the sports sedan market.

For what Lexus is, it's hard to find fault with them, can the same be said of Acura? It seems like they are running blindly in 3 or 4 directions at once, I would rather see them revive what made them great, economical, powerful, luxurious, techie optioned, sporty, reliable(?) and stylish sedans and coupes. Instead they are focusing on rebranding based around a very questionable grill, creating more SUV offerings at the expensive of what made them great. Lexus has remained on target for over a decade and is now branching into new markets, from a business point of view, it's a much stronger business model then Acura running about screaming the sky is falling and creating the cars they think their customers want rather then the cars they really do want.
Old 10-02-2009, 09:39 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
^ Agreed.

In the past Acura used to be mentioned in the same sentence as the big four luxury (Audi, Lexus, BMW, Mercedes). Nowadays you do not hear Acura mentioned in the same sentence as them as frequently as in the past.... for the exact reasons that iTimmy posted.

They have moved away from what made them successful. I know that we used to be an Acura family. Loved our Acura's and would only buy Acura's. Even a few of our Aunt/Uncles owned several Acuras. Heck, I even had a business which supplied only Acura's with parts (aftermarket and OEM). But, years ago Acura started making a shift and they lost customer's... including us. I have not purchased an Acura in 6-7 years, and have not owned one for about 3-4 now. We are an Audi family now. Our aunts/uncles have moved on to Mercedes and BMW. Love their cars, love their service, love everything about them. Going into an Audi showroom/service facility and going into an Acura showroom/service facility is a night and day experience. Audi feels worlds ahead of Acura whereas about 5-6 years ago, that was not the case and Acura could hang with the big boys.

And if we've noticed that, other customers have as well. Combine that with Acura's questionable styling over the last few years and it's not a great recipe. I know that unless Acura makes some big time changes.... we'll likely not own another one anytime soon...
Old 10-02-2009, 12:31 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
And the ironic thing is that Honda/Acura was the first brand to launch a "luxury" brand. Based upon this discussion, I would hate to see Acura no leading the way against Lexus, Infinity, etc. I'm not sure if I see Acura in the same class as BMW or Mercedes. I see the more direct competition being Lexus and Infinity.
Old 10-02-2009, 12:57 PM
Punk Rocker

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts
I've loved Honda/Acura for a long time. My 04 TSX was a very nice entry-level luxury car with a lot of high-tech features for a good price. Acura of late, however, has just gone right over a cliff. THey refuse to offer the features that every other luxury marque does (such as V8, RWD, 6/7 sp transmission, etc) and the styling of every model is horrid (with the TSX being the exception). I would say that Lexus and Infiniti are both better than Acura right now....
Old 10-02-2009, 01:27 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,090 Likes on 767 Posts
as an owner of both brands here, i am going to try and give a level opinion...

the last three times i was in the market to buy a car, the choice has always been between Lexus and Acura for me... from my 1GTL it was against an ES300, and with my 3GTL, it was against an IS350... but i went with a bang for the buck perspective... you can't beat what Acura has to offer... all of the functions that are included are add-ons for many of those on BMW/MB models... so to me i always consider Acura as entry-level luxury because it has all the neat toys at an affordable price...

so what is the extra oomph that you get when you pay extra for a Lexus??? well to be quite honest, you can't beat Lexus build quality and customer service... i got my GS in February and the service they provided me at the dealership was excellent... i couldn't afford a new one but i still got superb service buying a used vehicle... a month and a half after i got the car, and the 30 day warranty was expired, i noticed that on cold mornings the serpentine belt would squeal on startup and whenever i would change directions, i would hear the brakes/caliper click... the dealership asked me to bring the car in and they had a loaner waiting for me... they kept the car overnight so they could duplicate the problem... they reloaded the brake pads and lubricated the brake clips as that was the cause of the noise and tested the tensioner to see if it was faulty... it tested ok but said that maybe the car was sitting on the dealership lot for a few weeks without being driven, the belt may have dried out... changed the belt out for me... and the service manager manager said that if i have any problems and the noise comes back, let him know and he will take care of it for me... i didn't pay a penny...

to this day, my GS is still a solid vehicle (knock on wood) and even after 8 yrs, it drives just as new as a new GS350 i test drove... i am already getting worried about the 3G TL tranny and how it will hold up in 8yrs... this right here is what differentiates why Lexus is at a luxury level that Acura is trying to reach...

don't get me wrong, i love my Acuras... i drive the 3GTL 5 days a week and only take the GS out on long trips when i have the family with me... but they are two diff types of cars that bring out too diff types of driving style in me... the GS, i just cruise... nice cushy ride and the TL is always in aSShole mode... different cars to compare for me, but i am happy with both of them...

bottom line is, the things that lexus provides to me (service and reliability) just come with their brand... whereas with acura, i have to fight for what i want with the service and keep my eye on reliability (to be quite honest sometimes i question how ridiculous it is that i have to do early ATF changes as preventative maintenance because i fear for a tranny failure)...
Old 10-02-2009, 02:09 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,614 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Acura vs. Lexus again?

Sigh. (Can you tell I've been on this site for eight years?)

Who cares? Both offer great cars and great bang for the buck compared to the Germans. Next!
Old 10-02-2009, 02:38 PM
I'm the Firestarter

Received 753 Likes on 453 Posts
Acura's better overall: although Lexus fit and finish is superior, Acuras don't kill their owners using their floor mats.
Old 10-02-2009, 03:07 PM
an asshole from florida

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
once i saw the name lex i thought 1siclex
Old 10-02-2009, 03:24 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Originally Posted by neuronbob
Acura vs. Lexus again?

Sigh. (Can you tell I've been on this site for eight years?)

Who cares? Both offer great cars and great bang for the buck compared to the Germans. Next!
LOL. I had the same reaction as well... but we'll see where this goes. So far it's been civil
Old 10-02-2009, 03:27 PM
The Third Ball

Originally Posted by juniorbean
LOL. I had the same reaction as well... but we'll see where this goes. So far it's been civil
Without 1DickLEX around, I think most of us share the same opinion...or relatively close.
Old 10-02-2009, 03:28 PM
Advanced

Without 1DickLEX around, I think most of us share the same opinion...or relatively close.
Agreed!
Old 10-02-2009, 03:33 PM
The Third Ball

I wonder whatever happened to that tool bag.

I remember years ago him basically admitting he was driving drunk and wrecked one of his cars. Not sure what the outcome was.
Old 10-02-2009, 05:33 PM
Uses turn signals in my

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by iTimmy
I think the big problem is Acura trying to find it's place in the market, is it luxury, near luxury or sport luxury? No one knows! As where Lexus has defined itself in the market as the leader in luxury and service, and is now branching into the sports sedan market.

For what Lexus is, it's hard to find fault with them, can the same be said of Acura? It seems like they are running blindly in 3 or 4 directions at once, I would rather see them revive what made them great, economical, powerful, luxurious, techie optioned, sporty, reliable(?) and stylish sedans and coupes. Instead they are focusing on rebranding based around a very questionable grill, creating more SUV offerings at the expensive of what made them great. Lexus has remained on target for over a decade and is now branching into new markets, from a business point of view, it's a much stronger business model then Acura running about screaming the sky is falling and creating the cars they think their customers want rather then the cars they really do want.
I think this is one of the best post I've read in Car Talk, you nailed it right on the head
Old 10-02-2009, 05:40 PM
dɐɹɔ ǝɥʇ ʇɐɥʍ

Originally Posted by TCM 01 CL-S
I think this is one of the best post I've read in Car Talk, you nailed it right on the head
Old 10-02-2009, 09:09 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
Originally Posted by Belzebutt
Acura's don't kill their owners using their floor mats.
Old 10-02-2009, 10:51 PM
Advanced

In 2006 (and I quote 06 because it comes to mind) Consumer Reports
selected 10 cars for the year end summery. These 10 are the best of the best
that they recommend. 50% of those ten came from one car company (and two brands) that made 17 models to choose from. 20% came from another car company, again with two brands, that made 24 models from which Consumer Reports could choose from.

The brand with 50% was Honda/Acura and the other brand was Noyota/Loser.
(If you couldn't tell, I loath anything and all things Noyota)

Honda/Acura ranked #2 in the world from every auto manufacturer for quality
and reliability. Second only to Subaru. Noyota was third. Infact, Noyota ranked closer
to Ford than it did to Honda in terms of points assigned.

Noyota and its sister brand are all flash, eye candy like Mazda and Mitsubishi.
Old 10-02-2009, 11:22 PM
Disinformation Terminator

Originally Posted by Zenica
that they recommend. 50% of those ten came from one car company (and two brands) that made 17 models to choose from. 20% came from another car company, again with two brands, that made 24 models from which Consumer Reports could choose from.

and reliability. Second only to Subaru. Noyota was third. Infact, Noyota ranked closer

Old 10-02-2009, 11:54 PM

Received 322 Likes on 182 Posts
Here's my take if it's even worth reading....

Lexus is superior than Acura, not overly superior, but it's right above it. The technology put into a Lexus is better than an Acura, aside from the SH-AWD, which I think is tremendous. The engine quality of both brand, I believe, are about the same. They both last long and are efficient. Isn't basically Toyota Vs. Honda in the engine department any ways? I just think that Lexus has more "spirit" than Acura because of Lexus's line up. The Lexus lineup already has some hybrids and V8's which shows that they can branch off more than Acura can. The reason why I bought an Acura, though, is because of it's price. The TSX at 30k was much better than the IS250 at 35k when I was cross shopping. I drove both. The Lexus drove much better. But overall, the TSX had more room and the technology that I wanted at the right price.
Old 10-03-2009, 12:00 AM
Drifting

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by TheMirror
x2
I'll just take out the real flame worthy statement here
Old 10-03-2009, 12:02 AM
Disinformation Terminator

Acura created a glass ceiling for themselves with the adherence to FWD platforms. When the 1st gen RL came out in 1996, road testers at the time questioned the strategy of going with a FWD V-6 configuration in a car that was supposed to compete with the LS400 and the Q45. They were right. Since then, Acura has never had that top-tier luxury cruiser to compete with the big V-8 RWD sedans from Lexus and Infiniti, not to mention the German brands. Only Cadillac has ever really pulled off a full size luxury sedan with FWD....and that was with the excellent Northstar V-8s.

With new technology (SH-AWD) Acura can perhaps claw their way back, but this set of circumstances was cast in stone 13 years ago.

Last edited by TheMirror; 10-03-2009 at 12:04 AM.
Old 10-03-2009, 12:10 AM

Received 322 Likes on 182 Posts

What the heck is a Noyota any ways? Doesn't even sound insulting. It's like someone saying, Nonda......
Old 10-03-2009, 01:10 AM
Advanced

As in, no toyota.

Like the Nobama bumper stickers I see.

What ever.
Old 10-03-2009, 01:28 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
Lexus is better in certain ways but not in the ways that matter to me. They're quieter, smoother ride and in some cases better interior materials for the same price point.

I prefer more steering feel, less body roll and the road 'noise' in Acuras has never bothered me. Not to mention, I pay far less for the car I actually want. In addition, my local Acura dealer is a classy place nearly on the same level as many Lexus dealerships.

In summary, Acura works great for me. If Lexus offered say a GS4xx with some actual sporting pretensions I'd be quite interested.
Old 10-03-2009, 01:37 AM
The Third Ball

Wow, you arent annoying at all
Old 10-03-2009, 02:45 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Honestly, not to sound like a dick but i have never liked any Acura products since i moved to Canada from Scotland in 2000. After doing some reseach while car shopping over the years I came to the understanding that ALL Acuras are built on the same platform as the Accord and all their sedans exept the RL used to be FWD (until now). Also I noticed cars like the TSX and RL are just re-branded versions of Hondas in Europe. Infiniti and Lexus Actually put the money into developing proper RWD platforms seperate from Nissan and Toyota.

If it wasnt for Hondas great reputation and the ability of Acura to make well handling FWD cars they would have been out of business a long time ago...

(I know I have an 09 TSX, BUT that is only because i got an unbelievable deal while shopping for an Accord - I paid 27K - which is how much a 4 cylinder Accord costs!)
Old 10-03-2009, 04:48 AM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts
never owned a toyota/lexus so no opinion. My sister-in-law, her husband have owned numerous lexus-love them. I personally love my 06 tsx and get excellent service from the acura dealer I deal with. Yes, there are things I would like to have offered with the car but I am still very pleased with what it does have. My tsx has 93,000+ problem free miles
Old 10-03-2009, 09:10 AM
Punk Rocker

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts
Originally Posted by Shift_Acura
Honestly, not to sound like a dick but i have never liked any Acura products since i moved to Canada from Scotland in 2000. After doing some reseach while car shopping over the years I came to the understanding that ALL Acuras are built on the same platform as the Accord and all their sedans exept the RL used to be FWD (until now). Also I noticed cars like the TSX and RL are just re-branded versions of Hondas in Europe. Infiniti and Lexus Actually put the money into developing proper RWD platforms seperate from Nissan and Toyota.!)
In the interest of fairness, all of the Japanese luxury brands are guilty of badge-engineering. The original IS300 for instance was a Toyota Altezza in Japan. My G37 is just a re-badged Nissan 370GT over there as well. The difference is, Toyota and Nissan offer features that alot of people want to see from Honda/Acura but sadly never will.\

The new (and now dead) NSX is a perfect example. Nissan released their GT-R supercar and have gotten plenty of press over it. WHether good or bad, it has created an awareness of Nissan globally and gave them lots of credibility in the eyes of the enthusiasts. The Lexus LF-A is still going to be released and regardless of how good it ends up being, will put Toyota on the same level as Audi, Mercedes, and Porsche.

Honda is only ever interested in how many cars they can sell but sometimes you shouldn't worry so much about sales numbers but more about the perception of your product....
Old 10-03-2009, 09:33 AM
dɐɹɔ ǝɥʇ ʇɐɥʍ

Since when is Consumer reports from almost 4 years ago the benchmark? Consumer reports is good for buying toasters and blenders and what not, when it comes to more complicated items, specialized categories their value drops off dramatically.

Some of the broad assumptions you make don't seem justified. To say either Toyota, Honda, Subaru, Nissan or Mazda make poor quality cars is just a farce, all of them are highly competent brands, I would not hesitate to own a car from any of them. That said, as with all companies, some of their offerings are better then others, no one company can be the king in all arenas. At the point we have reached in manufacturing it almost boils down to what flavor you want, because the big 5 Japanese brands are all great.
Old 10-03-2009, 11:35 AM
mthaze20

something about Lexus screams old lady though. Even on the IS-F. They're trying too hard. Their best was the original SC300/400. I say stick too Acura and lease or buy and get the extended warranty for the tranny.
Old 10-03-2009, 12:14 PM
The Third Ball

I think this thread needs to get locked ASAP...it could get ugly now...
Old 10-03-2009, 12:17 PM
mthaze20

ill take it back im sorry (sort of)
Old 10-03-2009, 02:18 PM
07TL-CBP

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I think this thread needs to get locked ASAP...it could get ugly now...
Not sure why... it is pretty much on-topic so far. I say, just ignore anyone you deem an aZZ and stay positive.
Old 10-03-2009, 05:05 PM
E92

Received 93 Likes on 69 Posts
What do you expect out of a car that costs a lot more? Of course Lexus is going to have better features and whatnot..

Quick Reply: Acura vs Lexus