Acura Tl -vs- Chrysler 300c

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2004, 07:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BTW, the 420hp, 6.1 liter SRT-8 300C is coming soon...
Old 09-07-2004, 08:11 PM
TL - KEJ

All I can say is that the 300c is a strange beast.

It doesn't fit in the near luxuary market segment at all (TL, G35, 330i, ES-330, CTS, Audi A4, Jag x-type, Mercedes C class, Saab 95, Volvo S60, Maxima, etc.).

Also, I wouldn't compare it to a Grand Marquis either. The Grand Marquis is in the old, out-dated, need-to-be-retired category of cars.

There isn't much difference between a brand new 2004 Grand Marquis and my uncle's old 1977 Delta 88 that he drove decades ago.

Someone implied that the 300c belongs in the same category as the PT Cruiser. I would agree.

I am not sure about Chrysler.

300c, PT Cruiser, Crossfire, Magnum???? What gives? None of these are mainstream cars.

Thank god for pick-up trucks, mini vans, and SUVS. At least they got the Dodge Ram and Caravan right.

The hemi is really cool, but at this point, Chrysler is destined to become nothing more than a niche player in a very competitive, complex automotive marketplace.
Old 09-07-2004, 08:20 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Oh, no, not ANOTHER TL vs. 300C comparo thread.....jeez.

That said, I'll plunge right in....

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
BTW, the 420hp, 6.1 liter SRT-8 300C is coming soon...
I'm going to go against the crowd. I love the way the 300C looks. The retro look is hot. The bigger-engined model is simply going to be totally SICK. I mean, it will be FAST. How can people simply react negatively to that? Chrysler, then DC, has come up with some pretty damned innovative models the last few years. It's really too bad their quality issues have dragged them down so much. I can tell you about both the good and the bad as a former Chrysler (actually, Dodge, but that's just semantics) owner.

I went from Honda to Chrysler and back to Honda/Acura mostly because of quality issues....
Old 09-07-2004, 08:23 PM
2nd Gear

I thought I would chime in here. I think a comparison of the Acura TL and the 300C is a little unfair. They are not really targeted at the same market. Some comments:

Looks: Personally, I am not a big fan of the looks of the 300, but too each his own. I prefer the Magnum

Drivetrain: First rate. It will keep up with quite a few supposed performance cars. Not bad for a heavy car.

Handling: I think most people would be suprised, how well these heavy cars handle. Yes the lighter TL would out handle it in curves, but not by as much as yo would think.

Fit and Finish: By far the best Chrysler has had in years.

Just to be honest, I own a 2005 Dodge Magnum RT, even heavier than the 300C.

The Acura TL is a great car, just don't knock the 300C or the Magnum without driving one. YOu can knock the looks, that is all personal preference.
Old 09-07-2004, 08:41 PM
Powered by Guinness

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jjsC5
I spend WAY too much time on car forums, and have been on forums of many different cars. I have been on this forum for about six months (going back to when I had a G35). Even now that I have a TL, I have to say I'm almost embarassed by the blatant bias of this forum. I've never seen such a bunch of "if it isn't what I have it must be total crap" people in my life.

The quality of the 300C is unproven. Sure, some of you may have first hand knowledge of past Chrysler products. Does that mean Chrysler should just throw in the towel and go out of business because you think their cars are crap? I know serveral owners of Chrysler vechicles in the past few years who have been very happy with their quality.

Second - anybody who doesn't give Chrylser major credit for the 300C is just plain narrow minded. Here is a car that has 4 wheel independent supsension, the best engine available in any car at anywhere near its price, and offers features that are a great value. It has room for four comfortably, yet will run with many all out performance cars.

You don't have to like the looks of it - that's totally subjective, and you certainly have the right to like the TL better - that's okay. But to totally bash the car is really showing pure bias and at least a little ignorance.
The burden is on Chrysler to demonstrate that they are capable of building a quality product that is reliable, holds its value, and has a reasonably good total cost of ownership. I'm not going to cut them any slack - they haven't earned it.

I do appreciate the edgy styling and powertrain in the 300c. It does not compare well to the TL or other cars in this class, not because it is inferior, but because they are disimilar in many regards. I agree with TLKEJ, what do you compare it to? Chrysler is ignoring and perhaps trying to shake up traditional vehicle segments. A lot of risk and I do give them credit for taking it. Jury is still out whether they can pull it off.
Old 09-07-2004, 08:51 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Another quick review...

http://motortrend.com/roadtests/sedan/112_0405_300c/
Old 09-07-2004, 08:53 PM
Powered by Guinness

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by snickle
I thought I would chime in here. I think a comparison of the Acura TL and the 300C is a little unfair. They are not really targeted at the same market. Some comments:

Looks: Personally, I am not a big fan of the looks of the 300, but too each his own. I prefer the Magnum

Drivetrain: First rate. It will keep up with quite a few supposed performance cars. Not bad for a heavy car.

Handling: I think most people would be suprised, how well these heavy cars handle. Yes the lighter TL would out handle it in curves, but not by as much as yo would think.

Fit and Finish: By far the best Chrysler has had in years.

Just to be honest, I own a 2005 Dodge Magnum RT, even heavier than the 300C.

The Acura TL is a great car, just don't knock the 300C or the Magnum without driving one. YOu can knock the looks, that is all personal preference.
Thanks for chiming in with such good comments and welcome to A-TL!
Old 09-07-2004, 09:31 PM
Racer

I have to agree that Chrysler's build quality seems to be improving. We own a 2004 Ram 3/4 ton pickup, and so far, so good. The Hemi is plenty powerful to move such a big lump of metal - almost as good as the old 8.0 V-10 in the 99 we had. New brakes and steering and nice and tight - feels very solid off-road too.

As for their less than conventional styling on the 300 and the Magnum - heck, at least it's different!! Kudos to Chrysler for coming up with some good designs. FOr once, a car manufacturer isn't ripping off another's designs (Mazda taking from Honda/Acura; Pontiac taking from BMW - grill designs, in these cases, before I get flamed).
Old 09-07-2004, 09:56 PM
2nd Gear

Two words that describes my TL test drive - rice grinder
Once you drive a 300c you will never enjoy a wimpy V6 high revving TL again.
Old 09-07-2004, 10:11 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by fathemi
Ah. . . fortunately, you'll never have to see the grill.

The only view of a 300C you'll get from a TL is the ass-end getting smaller and smaller as it pulls on you.

Yeah, I'm just here starting some shi*. I figured someone had to.

-fathemi
Statistically the cars are almost the same (according to C/D). In the real world I raced one he could keep up but, he was never able to pass and pull away!!!

BTW I have a six speed.
Old 09-07-2004, 10:20 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 370 Likes on 209 Posts
Originally Posted by Aegir
The burden is on Chrysler to demonstrate that they are capable of building a quality product that is reliable, holds its value, and has a reasonably good total cost of ownership. I'm not going to cut them any slack - they haven't earned it.

I do appreciate the edgy styling and powertrain in the 300c. It does not compare well to the TL or other cars in this class, not because it is inferior, but because they are disimilar in many regards. I agree with TLKEJ, what do you compare it to? Chrysler is ignoring and perhaps trying to shake up traditional vehicle segments. A lot of risk and I do give them credit for taking it. Jury is still out whether they can pull it off.
I agree that the burden is on Chrysler. But if nobody buys their cars, they have no way to prove it. How do you do that? You build a car that offers more for less. The 300C does exactly that. It has the goods of a BMW540 for much less money. I'm not trying to say it's as good as a 540. But when you build a car that offers the performance, features and a large dose of refinement for $25,000 less, that's about all you can ask.

I dissagree with your comment about ignorng the "traditional vehicle segments". What segments do you think they are ignoring? I had a G35, and now have a TL. If the 300C was not so hard to buy, there is a good chance I would be driving one now. And I have owned seven Honda/Acuras, six Nissan/Infinitis, and seven Mazdas. I think I AM the segment you are refering to. Plus, like many auto enthusiasts, the V8 in a grown up sedan is like manna from heaven to me.
Old 09-07-2004, 10:43 PM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I spend WAY too much time on car forums, and have been on forums of many different cars. I have been on this forum for about six months (going back to when I had a G35). Even now that I have a TL, I have to say I'm almost embarassed by the blatant bias of this forum. I've never seen such a bunch of "if it isn't what I have it must be total crap" people in my life.

The quality of the 300C is unproven. Sure, some of you may have first hand knowledge of past Chrysler products. Does that mean Chrysler should just throw in the towel and go out of business because you think their cars are crap? I know serveral owners of Chrysler vechicles in the past few years who have been very happy with their quality.

Second - anybody who doesn't give Chrylser major credit for the 300C is just plain narrow minded. Here is a car that has 4 wheel independent supsension, the best engine available in any car at anywhere near its price, and offers features that are a great value. It has room for four comfortably, yet will run with many all out performance cars.

You don't have to like the looks of it - that's totally subjective, and you certainly have the right to like the TL better - that's okay. But to totally bash the car is really showing pure bias and at least a little ignorance.
You can't say it's the BEST engine in it's class, some of us (or maybe just me) still take pride in the fact that the TL is a ULEV-2 despite its 270hp V6. Nobody makes internal combustion engines like Honda. Everyone else just uses the engineering cop-out of making a bigger engine instead of a better one.
Old 09-07-2004, 11:45 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Nawww
You can't say it's the BEST engine in it's class, some of us (or maybe just me) still take pride in the fact that the TL is a ULEV-2 despite its 270hp V6. Nobody makes internal combustion engines like Honda. Everyone else just uses the engineering cop-out of making a bigger engine instead of a better one.
gotta love the way japanese people work, 4 cyclinder STi has 300 hp. American companies would use a v8 to make that much power.
Old 09-08-2004, 12:30 AM

Originally Posted by xlilbluux
gotta love the way japanese people work, 4 cyclinder STi has 300 hp. American companies would use a v8 to make that much power.
STi is turboed using high boost for a factory car. I think 16 or 18lbs from the factory. That is high boost.
Everyone else just uses the engineering cop-out of making a bigger engine instead of a better one.
including Honda. Their V-6 has grown from 2.5 liters to 3.0 to 3.2 liters.
Old 09-08-2004, 12:41 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by 6spdzoomzoom
Statistically the cars are almost the same (according to C/D). In the real world I raced one he could keep up but, he was never able to pass and pull away!!!

BTW I have a six speed.
BS. Must have been a 6 cylinder 300. You're giving up 150lbs/ft of torque to a 300C and are only about 500lbs lighter. Even with drivetrain losses figured in, it's not even a close match. A nonmodified 300C will decimate a nonmodified TL in any practical contest of acceleration.
Old 09-08-2004, 08:24 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by xlilbluux
300 is a nice number. But have you ever driven one in the real world? Especially with an automatic transmission. Turbo lag is pretty significant. There is nothing worng with a big cube V8 to make horsepower. It's a much more usable power. Someone once said "buyers ask for horsepower, but the buy torque". There is a lot of truth to that. My Corvette has a "low tech" pushrod V8. I have personally run 12.6's in the quarter mile, and get 30mpg on the highway. I'll take that kind of "low tech" all day long.

Obviously my comments are not aimed as a negative against the TL. I have one and love it. But it's engine is not the best. Smooth and refined - yes. But not torquey at all.
Old 09-08-2004, 09:09 AM
Pro

Disregarding it's butt-ugly appearance (which is IMHO), the claim about Chrysler's inferior QC is legitimate given it's history. You cant just dismiss it with a "that was then, this is now" approach. Maybe you can afford to unload 30-large on something as speculative as Chrysler product quality but, most of the buying public does not have that kind of disposable income.

When CR and JD Powers start reporting positive feedback on 1-2 year old Chrysler cars, then I'll reexamine their cars as an alternative to Japanese and German alternatives.
However, I DO credit Chrysler for being innovative in their current product development. It's just too bad that only the Viper developed in my direction.

$.02
Old 09-08-2004, 10:13 AM
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Barnum was right...

The 300C/Magnum is simply proof that P.T. Barnum was right.

The cars are totally unexceptional, mechanically speaking. The bodies are heavy, simple and cheap, using sheer mass for strength. The Hemi is simplistic in design, being cheap to build and using raw displacement to achieve power - wasteful and relatively inefficient by todays standards. The GM LS1 V8 is the same displacement, has the same HP and torque output and is more fuel efficient without that "hemi" configuration.

In short, the LX is a throwback. Simple, cheap, easy and inefficient which creates a vehicle with a low initial cost but high long term operational expense. DCX just deftly shifted the costs from themselves to the customer.

The only thing the LX has going for it is a "look" that attracts some simply because it' s different. Once the newness wears off, the reality of the mediocrity of these cars will begin to sink in. Corners have been cut in a lot of areas and are being hidden in plain sight by visual slights of hand. Example: Take a hard look at the HVAC controls.

The LX is unsophisticated and uses a lot of unsophisticated, off the shelf, last generation MB technology. Contrary to the urban legends, the LX is only based off the last generation E-Class bits. It isn't an E-Class under the covers. The only parts the cars "share", so to speak, are the 5-Speed tranny (being built in Indiana, not Germany) the rear differential, the steering column, the front seat frames, and the electrical architecture. The cylinder cutoff system is MB's adapted to the Hemi. And there are unsubstantiated claims that much of the engineering was done in Stuttgart, not Auburn Hills - at a high cost to Chrysler Group.

DCX is selling smoke and mirrors and they'll play that game as long as they can get away with it. For as long as the public and the press are unwilling to admit the emperor isn't wearing any clothes.

The 300C is the absolute antithesis of the TL.
Old 09-08-2004, 10:37 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by kosh2258

The cars are totally unexceptional, mechanically speaking. The bodies are heavy, simple and cheap, using sheer mass for strength. The Hemi is simplistic in design, being cheap to build and using raw displacement to achieve power - wasteful and relatively inefficient by todays standards. The GM LS1 V8 is the same displacement, has the same HP and torque output and is more fuel efficient without that "hemi" configuration.

In short, the LX is a throwback. Simple, cheap, easy and inefficient which creates a vehicle with a low initial cost but high long term operational expense. DCX just deftly shifted the costs from themselves to the customer.

The only thing the LX has going for it is a "look" that attracts some simply because it' s different. Once the newness wears off, the reality of the mediocrity of these cars will begin to sink in. Corners have been cut in a lot of areas and are being hidden in plain sight by visual slights of hand. Example: Take a hard look at the HVAC controls.

The LX is unsophisticated and uses a lot of unsophisticated, off the shelf, last generation MB technology. Contrary to the urban legends, the LX is only based off the last generation E-Class bits. It isn't an E-Class under the covers. The only parts the cars "share", so to speak, are the 5-Speed tranny (being built in Indiana, not Germany) the rear differential, the steering column, the front seat frames, and the electrical architecture. The cylinder cutoff system is MB's adapted to the Hemi. And there are unsubstantiated claims that much of the engineering was done in Stuttgart, not Auburn Hills - at a high cost to Chrysler Group.

DCX is selling smoke and mirrors and they'll play that game as long as they can get away with it. For as long as the public and the press are unwilling to admit the emperor isn't wearing any clothes.

The 300C is the absolute antithesis of the TL.
I see you have no regards for facts! The only "large" four place car that the LS1 is offered in is the GTO. You might want to check the gas mileage of that car with an automatic transmission. Then compare weight of both the GTO and 300C. I think you are in for a pretty big surprise.

Next you say the hemi "has the same HP and torque output and is more fuel efficient without that "hemi" configuration". Do a little more homework. The "hemi" does not actually have true hemispherical heads. That is just marketing hype.
Old 09-08-2004, 10:58 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by kosh2258

FYI: If you're referring to the quote, "There's a sucker born every minute then it was a criminal by the name of Joseph Bessimer who was quoted as saying this not, PT Barnum.
Old 09-08-2004, 11:12 AM
Intermediate

TL vs 300c? christ... that's like... elegance vs brute force... football vs soccer... dell vs sony.... microsoft vs apple.... bruce lee vs arnold.... each are "cool" to someone... in the end it's just personal preference.

I want s2k
Old 09-08-2004, 11:58 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by VQ35DE
FYI: If you're referring to the quote, "There's a sucker born every minute then it was a criminal by the name of Joseph Bessimer who was quoted as saying this not, PT Barnum.
Who said "you'll never go broke underestimating the American public"? Was it someone at Chrysler?
Old 09-08-2004, 12:36 PM