Acura needs a makeover

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2010, 06:12 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Originally Posted by winstrolvtec
Well I am sure it is very easy to say they lost a sale because of the style but I am sure there are other reasons involved with the blame mostly being put more on the design whether that is the case or not.
It's easy to say b/c, unfortunately, it's true. People always remember my 2G TL-S, so they always associate me with Acura even though I haven't had one for ~5 years. B/C of that they still come to me with Acura questions and advice. I can rattle off at least a dozen or so who knocked the 4G TL off of their list just b/c of the way it looks. We're also in the market for a new car and I showed my wife some of the modded TL's which bring the hideous down to just fugly... and even then she wouldn't even consider it... and I don't blame her. It's her car, so it's her choice, however, I was glad she shot it down... it's just nasty .

So it's fairly safe to say the looks of the 4G turned a lot of buyers away. Need more proof? Browse Car Talk and see how many went from a 2G or 3G TL to an Audi, Infiniti, BMW, Lexus, Mercedes, or other premium brand. The post below I quoted is more the norm then the exception...
Originally Posted by pttl
FWIW - I'm on my second TL. I owned a 2G TL and now my 3G TL. I'll probably be buying a car with in the year. The 4G is not even on my list of cars to look at. Why? Because it's hideous.
Old 10-09-2010, 08:03 PM
Drifting

Received 96 Likes on 76 Posts
Originally Posted by juniorbean
It's easy to say b/c, unfortunately, it's true. People always remember my 2G TL-S, so they always associate me with Acura even though I haven't had one for ~5 years. B/C of that they still come to me with Acura questions and advice. I can rattle off at least a dozen or so who knocked the 4G TL off of their list just b/c of the way it looks. We're also in the market for a new car and I showed my wife some of the modded TL's which bring the hideous down to just fugly... and even then she wouldn't even consider it... and I don't blame her. It's her car, so it's her choice, however, I was glad she shot it down... it's just nasty .

So it's fairly safe to say the looks of the 4G turned a lot of buyers away. Need more proof? Browse Car Talk and see how many went from a 2G or 3G TL to an Audi, Infiniti, BMW, Lexus, Mercedes, or other premium brand. The post below I quoted is more the norm then the exception...
I agree, I am not dismissing the negative reactions the vehicle faces, they are real, but that is not necessarily my argument. I just don't think every reaction automatically means it lost a sale or someone didn't consider it. Although it is the case in your situation and I am sure several others, it is also the case with every car I would imagine.

The question is just how much more of it is the case for the TL compared to others? And just how many of those who dismiss it are really considering it or others vehicles in it's class range?

Lastly, it's the internet and we can all say whatever we want, the majority tend to be couch critics but are not in a position to consider or attain the vehicle in the first place. The more outspoken people seem to get about the car and styling and the whole debate at this point, the more I question it.

It's strange because it's as if the protesting and comments against it are "too much" or too strong. It could suggest that there is so much objection to the design and it's really because people are possibly covering up perhaps the fact that they actually do like it but don't want to show face.

Maybe many are justifing not getting a new car right now due to the times or there is nothing wrong with what they currently have but we as humans rarely ever leave it at that. We have to justify everything. It is usually as simple as, it's not well recieved and after some time people rarely think about it anymore or pay it any mind. I don't claim to know what that is all about or what the situation actually is but, here we are two years later, and there is still so much controversy over it. That's what makes me speculate.

People should have moved on by now and supposedly they have to BMW and Audi, etc, etc but that brings up my other point, the style of those vehicles or any vehicle in general is not the only reason they are purchased, as the style of the TL is not the only reason why it is not and being a participant of the 4G section here at Acurazine, I also know that many have come from Audi, BMW, MB, etc, etc and are now in a 4G, never having had a 2G or 3G TL.

I know you associate your case and maybe 12 other people you know and Car Talk as proof that it is turning people away but I can add a person for everyone you take away, not to mention the whole 4G community. It is a matter of opinion and is subjective so it can never be actual proof for my argument. You are correct that it is proof for whether or not there are negative reactions to it, which is clearly the case, but again that is not my argument.

What is left to be told is how valid the reactions are and as I have gone over already the sales don't prove that. I know you say simply look at the reactions all over the internet and all that but then I say look at the actaul owners and the feedback they get from it by everyday people and it is all positive. You can also find that in the 4G section. And I can lend my personal experience also which instead suggests that the 4G gets more positve attention and compliments than either of my 3G's did and in real world situations, not the internet.

Last edited by winstrolvtec; 10-09-2010 at 08:10 PM.
Old 10-11-2010, 09:34 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
^ Agreed. Arguments can be made for either side. Sure, I know of a few dozen who steered away b/c of the styling, but there are probably many more out there who are new to the Acura brand, love the TL and are first time Acura buyers with the 4G.

That said, it just says a lot when you have people on a car forum who have been Acura fans for decades, some of whom have owned multiple Acura's over that time, and now they are turning away from the brand completely b/c of their styling choices. Brands will always attract new buyers... but losing the loyal ones is a slippery slope.,
Old 10-11-2010, 11:28 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts
^ Agreed. Arguments can be made for either side. Sure, I know of a few dozen who steered away b/c of the styling, but there are probably many more out there who are new to the Acura brand, love the TL and are first time Acura buyers with the 4G.

That said, it just says a lot when you have people on a car forum who have been Acura fans for decades, some of whom have owned multiple Acura's over that time, and now they are turning away from the brand completely b/c of their styling choices. Brands will always attract new buyers... but losing the loyal ones is a slippery slope.,
very well said. every brand wants new customers, but retaining loyal ones/repeat customers are just as important. that's why when you go for service, loyal customers are often treated differently than joe who drives in from out of no where with just any acura.
Old 10-29-2010, 11:58 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by justnspace
LOL no, I'm serious.
Like some one mentioned, its ahead of the curve.

Econoboxes are just now playing catch up with the 3rd gen. Hell, I see malibu's with styling cues stolen from the TL.

its just a matter of time, until people fall in love with the 4th gen.
I agree. The beak has grown on me. I love this car. I think it's beautiful.
Old 10-30-2010, 12:12 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by silver3.5
very well said. every brand wants new customers, but retaining loyal ones/repeat customers are just as important. that's why when you go for service, loyal customers are often treated differently than joe who drives in from out of no where with just any acura.
I agree with this and I actually think this is the reason the car isn't selling as well as they would like. I believe Acura was counting on brand loyalty to get the car on the street. Unfortunately for them that didn't happen so most "new" buyers like me wouldn't likely to know it exists. I'm not a big fan of the looks of the 3g and actually considered the Infinity, BMW, MB and Audi before Acura. It was when I saw the 4g I made my mind up to buy it. This car is already on it's 3rd model year and I had never EVER seen one before anywhere. I live in Southern California and commute everyday on the freeway. There's a boatload of 5 series, A4s, C300s and ES350s along with the Accords, Civics, Camrys and Corollas. a few 3g TLs and TSXs. This car is great value for the money. And, yes everywhere I go people ask if that's the new Acura and say how much they like it.
Old 10-30-2010, 01:54 AM
CL6
My only car is a Bus

Originally Posted by New2Acura2
I agree. The beak has grown on me. I love this car. I think it's beautiful.
Old 10-30-2010, 02:05 AM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
that's what I think when people say they think the 4G looks good (in factory form)
Old 10-30-2010, 03:53 AM
Instructor

Wow. How idiotic. Grow up people. Sheesh.

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean others feel the same.

It's really childish the way you guys attack people that like the car whether in factory form or not.
Old 10-30-2010, 04:39 AM

y so srs?

Wasn't attacking you.... I just scrolled to the bottom of the page and saw the beer goggles picture didn't even see that your were quoted.

If you like it, who cares what other people think. You bought your car for you, not for some people on the internets.
Old 10-30-2010, 06:34 AM
Someday, an RS6 Avant+

Received 990 Likes on 532 Posts
Man, some in the 4G crowd have a thin skin....

Facts are facts. A good portion of the people here joined this board because they owned or loved Acura and Honda cars. A large portion have moved on past Acura (mostly here in Car Talk) because of some very bad mistakes by Acura: Styling, engines that could use more power, reluctance to embrace RWD or slowly going AWD, and some quality issues.

Just because you love your 4G does not diminish the facts. Ask people on this board why they left Acura and you will get a lot of similar responses.
Old 10-30-2010, 08:40 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,159 Likes on 2,583 Posts
Some may have thin skin and I don't care for the 4G styling, but what you presented are not facts but opinions.
Originally Posted by mrmako

Facts are facts. A good portion of the people here joined this board because they owned or loved Acura and Honda cars. A large portion have moved on past Acura (mostly here in Car Talk) because of some very bad mistakes by Acura: Styling, engines that could use more power, reluctance to embrace RWD or slowly going AWD, and some quality issues.

Just because you love your 4G does not diminish the facts. Ask people on this board why they left Acura and you will get a lot of similar responses.
Old 10-30-2010, 05:56 PM
Someday, an RS6 Avant+

Received 990 Likes on 532 Posts
Originally Posted by Legend2TL
Some may have thin skin and I don't care for the 4G styling, but what you presented are not facts but opinions.
Ok, but did I mention anything that was untrue?
Old 10-30-2010, 06:11 PM
Instructor

Thin skin? I don't care how much you talk about the car.

The problem is when people act like something is wrong with someone if they like the car. I didn't come here to be talked about. Did you?

Do you not see the difference?
Old 10-30-2010, 06:36 PM

wow. Welcome to the internet. It's not full of hugs and kisses as you may be inclined to believe. Someone, somewhere out there doesn't like you or approve of you - indirectly or otherwise. Surprise, we're real people and this is probably what at least some real people feel. I personally believe that the 4G needs a makeover, and so do many others.... but that's beating the dead horse.

The moderators are here and always will be here and they'll filter out inappropriate content. If you don't like what you see, well.... nobody is making you read it.
Old 10-30-2010, 06:55 PM
My first Avatar....

Received 6,195 Likes on 3,975 Posts
Originally Posted by New2Acura2
Thin skin? I don't care how much you talk about the car.

The problem is when people act like something is wrong with someone if they like the car. I didn't come here to be talked about. Did you?

Do you not see the difference?

Oh by the way...your car is Just my opinion of course.

Last edited by pttl; 10-30-2010 at 06:57 PM.
Old 10-30-2010, 09:52 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Styling is the only one I agree with. The current engines are very competitive in their respective classes (just like always), SH-AWD is available on more models now, and the quality issues that plagued the old TL's are now history.

The large portion of members that you are referring to have naturally moved on to better, more expensive brands. I plan on doing the same thing, hopefully trading in the TSX for a Bimmer once its paid off. Just like every other car brand, old customers are replaced with new ones.

This forum however is not very welcoming to 4G TL members. Mostly due to the members who have moved on from Acura but dont want to move on from this forum. Perhaps they are fanboy-ing it up on their new respective car forums but we will never know :shakehead
Old 10-30-2010, 11:09 PM
AZ Community Team

Ok, but did I mention anything that was untrue?
There's no true or false with opinions, it's just your opinion and observation of other opinions on the forum.
Old 10-30-2010, 11:28 PM
AZ Community Team

Most of the time you want to keep your loyal customers however there are a few exceptions. In the 90's Cadillac was in the really bad shape, the average age of their customers was increasing something like 8-9 months for every year that went by. Virtually that meant their majority customer base was just getting older and eventually would pass away with their current product line approach. They also realized that their customer base was not exactly into change much

Cadillac managers knew this dilemma and worked through a long term plan to transform the product line to more SUV and sport oriented models. Senior GM management was extremely reluctant at first to make such a radical change even over a long period but they finally relented and gave the green light.

The first product Caterra was hardly a winner by by the mid 2000's Cadillac was back from potentially being eliminated like Oldsmobile to having some of the best increase in sales ever for the brand. And they attracted a newer generation of owners.

Honda actually was worried about the opposite age problem, their market research from the 90's indicated alot of their buyers would move to other brands that offered a wider range of products (mini-vans, SUV's, ...). Honda dealers had been screaming at Honda North America for some time for a broader range of products. In the end Honda marketing actually wanted the average age of Honda owners to increase to keep owners instead of watching them go to other brands as they got older and most had families. Took some time and a few mistakes but Honda executed the SUV's and minivan solutions well but still fall short in the truck area.

Last edited by Legend2TL; 10-30-2010 at 11:37 PM.