Accident advice

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2011, 01:41 PM
7# werC 2uoYeeS

Received 527 Likes on 387 Posts
Accident advice

So I was in an accident yesterday. Not my fault...guy tries to make a left turn when I was driving straight and we collide. I had switched lanes and honked to try to avoid him or let him know to stop but he kept going...my car is totaled. My thread was posted in the 2G TSX forum but I need advice.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...1#post13384450

Wrote this in a later post:
In any case, I'm not sure what to do now...I need to get the case number from the police but they're not answering right now...the tow yard is closed till Monday. I still have stuff to get from my trunk and glove/middle compartments. Does anyone know what happens to all the extra stuff you had on the car...like upgraded wheels, window visors, etc? Would I be able to take those off the car after the insurance is done examining it? Also, do I even want those wheels back? Pretty sure the front two might be bent and if not bent they'd be messed up. I can't really tell from the pictures. Any info on how to approach this whole situation is appreciated. I haven't known anyone who's gotten into an accident of this magnitude so I really have no one to ask except my azine bros. PMs are welcome or you can post here...

Also, what happens in the event that the guy's insurance doesn't have enough coverage to cover the value of the car? Do I just get the maximum allowed by his insurance and sue for the rest?
HeavyDuty gave me some advice but I figure more advice is better. Been calling the police precinct but they're not picking up so hopefully later or tomorrow?
Old 11-25-2011, 01:48 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 638 Likes on 276 Posts
Personally, I would go to the police station and try to get the police report. Then call your insurance company and explain what had happened.

They should be able to go after the other guys insurance company regardless. Its what you pay them for.
Old 11-25-2011, 05:57 PM
Race Director

Received 596 Likes on 430 Posts
Originally Posted by Crazy Acura
Personally, I would go to the police station and try to get the police report. Then call your insurance company and explain what had happened.

They should be able to go after the other guys insurance company regardless. Its what you pay them for.
+1

i had a similar situation back in July. I was nailed by a new Tahoe, but she only carried the lowest insurance you're allowed to carry. damages to my car were close to 8k, but her insurance would only pay for 5k. State Farm said they would deal with the insurance/other party for the rest.
Old 11-25-2011, 06:32 PM
Pinky all stinky

Received 189 Likes on 117 Posts
police reports take up to a week, depending on the municipality. also if you give your insurance co the info they can call the police dept and get the police report themselves. you can ask them to then fax you a copy of it.
Old 11-25-2011, 06:50 PM
Regional Coordinator (Texas)

Received 607 Likes on 308 Posts
wow. that was a pretty bad wreck. glad ur ok though.

hope you have full coverage, just incase the third party doesnt cover it all
Old 11-25-2011, 09:09 PM
7# werC 2uoYeeS

Thanks. I do have full coverage. Went to the police station today...they only had reports up to the 22nd of Nov. Told me to come back tomorrow where they hopefully would have it done. Just talked to the insurance company to get things started. Gave them whatever info I had and once I get the reports I'll be sure to keep them updated.

Do I need to get an attorney asap? That's what some people told me to do. Just feel like I can't do much even with an attorney without the police report or something at least. Couldn't even get the guy's insurance info cuz I was in the ambulance.
Old 11-25-2011, 09:21 PM
takin care of Business in

Received 4,732 Likes on 4,064 Posts
POLICE REPORTS DECIDE WHOSE FAULT IT IS

I was in a scenario where the guy hit me and I swerved out of lane...the report said I was switching lanes and the guy was in my blind spot...the rest is history....my insurance of course said its not my fault (after hearing from me what happened)...his insurance said it was my fault....lucky enough he didnt claim insurance (it was a little side swipe)....mine kinda sorta buffed out....

in short....the report decides whose fault it is....make sure the report has no inconsistencies...fax it to yours and his insurance company....talk to his insurance company and send him the bill (since you went to the hospital include that...also if you missed work they should cover that as well)....
Old 11-25-2011, 10:12 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 574 Likes on 409 Posts
how fast were you going ? i always slow down or brake instead of honking... but thats how you do it in NYC
Old 11-26-2011, 02:14 PM
7# werC 2uoYeeS

Yea I braked and honked but he still went for it..thus the collision. I'm not sure how fast I was going...probably 30-35? Got the case number from the police. Actual report won't be available till Monday.
Old 11-27-2011, 10:15 PM
Nom Nom Nom Nom

Received 76 Likes on 50 Posts
The only deals that I have been able to make with them about getting the stuff off the car is that it has to be replaced with something. I have only been able to do this with a stereo as well. They won't let you piece the car apart after they do their appraisal..
Old 11-27-2011, 11:19 PM
intelligentsia

Location: Land of cheap vodka, hot girls, and great nightlife
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That's weird. When I got in an accident I immediately called the Police I think I called 911. They were there investigated the accident. The insurance company determined I was not at fault within a week and gave me a check for my car that was totaled. Best of luck being in an accident sucks.
Old 11-28-2011, 12:08 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 740 Likes on 309 Posts
Which Precinct? 061? I think they take like 72 hours for the report to be processed, and they don't do squat on the weekend. You'll most likely be able to get it tomorrow or Tuesday the latest. You'll have to wait for your insurance company to look at the car before they determine if it's a total loss or not, so you'll also have to wait for them to decide that before you know what the fate is of the car. Where did it happen? Looks like Y and Ocean Ave...Sorry to hear dude! Don't want to seem insensitive, but if you need help getting into a new car, let me know, I may be able to help.
Old 11-29-2011, 07:53 PM
7# werC 2uoYeeS

Originally Posted by Shoofin
Which Precinct? 061? I think they take like 72 hours for the report to be processed, and they don't do squat on the weekend. You'll most likely be able to get it tomorrow or Tuesday the latest. You'll have to wait for your insurance company to look at the car before they determine if it's a total loss or not, so you'll also have to wait for them to decide that before you know what the fate is of the car. Where did it happen? Looks like Y and Ocean Ave...Sorry to hear dude! Don't want to seem insensitive, but if you need help getting into a new car, let me know, I may be able to help.
Yup the 61st. I got the police report yesterday. They wrote down my version of what happened and for the other guy he said he didn't see me. Whether or not it's true...I honked, changed lanes and braked and he still went for it so whatever. And yea Shoofin, it was on Ocean and Y...I do need a new car but I want to wait for the dust to settle and have the check in my hand before I seriously start searching. Plus...I'm doing PT now...focusing on my health rather than my car. I will pm you once everything is done.