3 years with 20% tint.. changed my rims and bam, a fine.

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 02:48 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Originally Posted by HeartTLs
You made the assumption that I didn't know what I was talking about and that that officer had significant rank.
Where? All I did was ask questions, then made a blanket statement about how much one can make in the industry based on friends/family experiences. Made no assumptions about you...

R.I.F.

Originally Posted by Gfaze
Or maybe he was just doing his job. You got caught, end of story. I've got my windows tinted all the way around and I know eventually I'll probably get caught.

I also store my front plate in my garage despite the fact that I've been ticketed twice in 5 years. I choose to gamble but if I get another one I'll get annoyed but pay the fine because I knew exactly what I was doing.

On a sidenote: No one here gives a flying fuck how much money you make and how much money you've dumped into your car. Measuring one's self worth by the amount of money one has is pathetic.
Even if it's something as "silly" as tint, if you're breaking the law, you're breaking the law. Sucks when you get caught, but that's the chance you take...
Old 01-16-2012, 03:19 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Wow guys, you're really going at it here, jeez..

Ok, after reading these comments I want to clarify a few things here:

First @ pttl:
When I was getting my windows tinted, I knew it was illegal and that at some point I was most likely going to get pulled over. I am willing to accept the consequences and pay the fine, and for that very reason I wasn't even mad at the cop. I was being nothing but nice to him although in my honest opinion I think there are more important laws that need to be enforced other than equipping your car with "safety glass"

The reason for this post was purely opinions.For example, between a regular TL and a slammed TL-S with custom rims and a lip kit, both with tinted windows, is one more likely to get ticketed than the other because it seemed all I had to do is repaint my rims to attract attention of the cops because my car lost the "stock" look. Makes me wonder what happens when I lower it. The reason for this post was not to bitch about the ticket as some people might have misunderstood.

Second @ Heart TLs

I wasn't being a smart ass asking him about his car, was just curious since he was young, I think he maybe even went to my High School. In any event, the town where I got pulled over is tiny, it's in the middle of my town. It's so small it's called a borough. It doesn't have it's own school, it uses facilities in my town. They have a PD with like 5 or 6 cops. I'm the only one driving a TL-S in that area. The cop has seen me hundreds of times and knows my car I'm sure. I'm sure he even knows the house I visit (my uncle's house) in that town because it consequently turns out to be the biggest house in that tiny town and obviously draws a lot of attention. Recently, the PD in the borough had a budget cut, and it's now part-time. At night there's only one or two cops on duty and cops from my town are filling in.

Originally Posted by Stoianoff31
my question is.... were you wearing a flat brim? I'd pull you over for that.

lol.
If you really must know what I was wearing, it was jeans, sweater and pea coat.
Old 01-16-2012, 04:07 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 222 Likes on 183 Posts
Fuzzy, I am interested to hear the reasoning on why it is a cop out. I agree b/c with my legal tints, you can't see what I look like or what I am doing.
Window tint impairs the drivers ability to see out of the car. This creates a unsafe driving practice. Tint laws are in place to combat this. Not for LE use. Sure LE can use the argument that tint impairs their ability to see inside the car. But it's not why tint laws exist.

I have no problem with being stopped for it. My problem comes from my story where a state trooper went out of his way to ticket me for only window tint. I was not speeding, or breaking any other laws. I passed the trooper at the legal speed limit of 70mph. He was stopped in the median. How do you even see a car's window tint in that instance? Yet he decided he's make it his mission to ticket me solely for window tint. He got out of the car with the meter in his hand. Before he even asked me for my info it was please roll up your window half way sir. Yet the speeding mustang that passed me only a few minutes before got to go on his merry way at 80+.

Last edited by fuzzy02CLS; 01-16-2012 at 04:10 PM.
Old 01-16-2012, 06:10 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 7,244 Likes on 4,855 Posts
Originally Posted by Hotwired05
Go on... :ghey:

Old 01-16-2012, 06:21 PM
MR1
05/5AT/Navi/ABP/Quartz

Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts
We don't get to decide when we will be pulled over. We do get to decide if we will chance waving a red blanket at the bull. We decide to violate obvious laws and how many of them we violate. We decide by calling more and more attention to ourselves.

We all know that almost every government entity is seeking more funds to plug shortfalls. It is our individual decision to volunteer to help pay these shortfalls. The more visual alterations to your car the bigger the flag you wave at the bull. Can't then complain about getting the horns.

If you want to decide which violations are attended too then join the force.
Old 01-16-2012, 09:48 PM
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
To answer your question, no I don't think your wheels had anything to do with it. Even if you've passed that cop 100 times before it doesn't mean he was looking up/noticing you. I think probably one day he did notice you and said "next time I see that guy I'm pulling him over" (since you say you live in such a tight knit community), and that is probably why he saw you and immediately pulled out with lights.
Old 01-16-2012, 09:48 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by MR1
Are you^ a Jedi?!?

Can you get me in?
Old 01-17-2012, 12:47 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by MR1
We don't get to decide when we will be pulled over. We do get to decide if we will chance waving a red blanket at the bull. We decide to violate obvious laws and how many of them we violate. We decide by calling more and more attention to ourselves.

We all know that almost every government entity is seeking more funds to plug shortfalls. It is our individual decision to volunteer to help pay these shortfalls. The more visual alterations to your car the bigger the flag you wave at the bull. Can't then complain about getting the horns.

I did at one point want to join the NYPD when I was in my early 20's, even passed the written and physical exams.. Then realized I would feel bad and never give out any tickets and probably eventually end up either a meter maid or a paper pusher.

about attracting attention thing, I wonder now, what if you're driving a 250,000 Ferrari with tinted windows, your obviously drawing attention, so what does the cop think:
A: I'll give him a ticket, he's got money might as well chip in for the good of this town
B: I won't bother, he can pay this fine with his pocket change.He won't take the tint off, he'll probably laugh at me and think I fined him cause I'm jealous.

Last edited by Hotwired05; 01-17-2012 at 12:53 AM.
Old 01-17-2012, 07:41 AM
Team Owner

Received 3,628 Likes on 1,768 Posts
C: 288
Old 01-17-2012, 08:21 AM
registered pw

Received 354 Likes on 252 Posts
Originally Posted by 1killercls
For the LAST TIME! "Tints" is NOT a Word!!!
Old 01-17-2012, 08:21 AM
Senior Moderator

If you are driving a Ferrari, he will pull you over just to check out your car. Once he realizes how nice the car actually is, he will become jealous of your success, use the tint as an excuse, and give you a ticket out of spite.
Old 01-17-2012, 08:33 AM
boost owns

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have 20% on my car (had it done five years ago when I was a kid and thought it was cool). I've had one ticket and two warnings in that time frame. I hate 20% tint. I can't see a damn thing at night, and parking/reversing is a joke. My next vehicle will have 35% all around (legal limit in CT).
Old 01-17-2012, 10:28 AM
Senior Moderator

Back up camera FTW.
The following users liked this post:
HEAVY_RL (01-17-2012)
Old 01-17-2012, 10:44 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by Audioserf
I have 20% on my car (had it done five years ago when I was a kid and thought it was cool). I've had one ticket and two warnings in that time frame. I hate 20% tint. I can't see a damn thing at night, and parking/reversing is a joke. My next vehicle will have 35% all around (legal limit in CT).

Originally Posted by oo7spy
Back up camera FTW.
Old 01-17-2012, 10:59 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 222 Likes on 183 Posts
Back up camera FTW.
Rolling down your windows in reverse is a lot cheaper.
TylerT (01-22-2012)
Old 01-17-2012, 11:08 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by fuzzy02CLS
That's what I do all the time, esp. at night but wife complains about it all the time esp. during the cold seasons. Thus, she dont like driving my car....I say...even better!
Old 01-17-2012, 12:28 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by silver3.5
That's what I do all the time, esp. at night but wife complains about it all the time esp. during the cold seasons. Thus, she dont like driving my car....I say...even better!

Well I just bought a stick, now nobody likes drivin my car except me.
Old 01-17-2012, 04:25 PM
Senior Moderator

Mine is stock.

Old 01-17-2012, 10:56 PM
MR1
05/5AT/Navi/ABP/Quartz

Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts
I did at one point want to join the NYPD when I was in my early 20's, even passed the written and physical exams.. Then realized I would feel bad and never give out any tickets and probably eventually end up either a meter maid or a paper pusher.

about attracting attention thing, I wonder now, what if you're driving a 250,000 Ferrari with tinted windows, your obviously drawing attention, so what does the cop think:
A: I'll give him a ticket, he's got money might as well chip in for the good of this town
B: I won't bother, he can pay this fine with his pocket change.He won't take the tint off, he'll probably laugh at me and think I fined him cause I'm jealous.
How about 'another asshole violating the law, ticket for him'? Cops job is to find law breakers not evaluate wealth or success.
civicdrivr (01-17-2012)
Old 01-18-2012, 09:26 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,090 Likes on 767 Posts
i think it was just your day to come... new wheels or not...
Old 01-18-2012, 01:15 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
Originally Posted by MR1
How about 'another asshole violating the law, ticket for him'? Cops job is to find law breakers not evaluate wealth or success.
Let's face it, this is a bullshit ticket.

There are lots of laws being broken, I see it every day. One of the biggest here in the PNW is the running with driving lights on into on-coming traffic. But no one gets stopped for this. It is a bad law because driving with them on lights the road better and makes you safer.

I was shocked when my ex-girlfriend came back from Texas with the darkest tint I'd ever seen on a car. She said it was legal, and necessary due to the heat in College Station, TX.
In Oregon, you'd get pulled over several times a year with tint that dark. It all depends on what the LEO's in the area set as a priority.
Old 01-18-2012, 02:30 PM
Someday, an RS6 Avant+

Received 947 Likes on 516 Posts
I think it was your chosen time, OP
Old 01-18-2012, 04:15 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

Wait, dark tint or dark skin?Fuzzy, I am interested to hear the reasoning on why it is a cop out. I agree b/c with my legal tints, you can't see what I look like or what I am doing.
what the fuck is that question about retard
Old 01-18-2012, 04:17 PM
Senior Moderator

:thief:
Originally Posted by Mr Marco
Let's face it, this is a bullshit ticket.

There are lots of laws being broken, I see it every day. One of the biggest here in the PNW is the running with driving lights on into on-coming traffic. But no one gets stopped for this. It is a bad law because driving with them on lights the road better and makes you safer.

I was shocked when my ex-girlfriend came back from Texas with the darkest tint I'd ever seen on a car. She said it was legal, and necessary due to the heat in College Station, TX.
In Oregon, you'd get pulled over several times a year with tint that dark. It all depends on what the LEO's in the area set as a priority.
Dated an Aggie eh?

What do you mean by "running with driving lights on into oncoming traffic."? I know driving with fog lights or parking lights only is illegal in most states, but I routed my DRLs through my fog lights nevertheless. Considering the new TLs and MDX have the DRL and fog right next to each other but technically different lights, I am not too worried. However, I do understand I am breaking the law and may have to pay for it.
Old 01-20-2012, 11:23 PM
Instructor

Ok I took some pics as someone requested. It was very cloudy outside and about to rain, about the same weather as on the day I got stopped. Basically this is what the cop saw when he pulled me over..

The rims look dark in the pics. When it's sunny they're shinier and brighter in color. Please no hating bout the logo missing, didn't have time to put it back on yet.
Attached Thumbnails 3 years with 20% tint.. changed my rims and bam, a fine.-img_075000.jpg   3 years with 20% tint.. changed my rims and bam, a fine.-img_075444.jpg  
Old 01-21-2012, 12:21 AM
Early Shifter

Received 65 Likes on 54 Posts
What's a pea coat? Sounds like some sort of weird fetish? lol

Tint is a gamble, why is everyone getting pissy with each other? Welcome to the internet where things are taken seriously. teehee

On a side note I got a damn ticket a few weeks back for parking too close to a fire hydrant. I waited it out and let it escalate to a district court planning on stating how the curb is NOT painted yellow....only to find pictures that were apparently taken when the ticket was issued proving I was in fact too close. So a $75 dollar fine is now $135 and needless to say after seeing the pictures I entered a guilty plea. Shoulda paid the original amount. Shit happens. /dammit

I always forget about street cleaning every other week as well, that's $20 a pop. lol

Last one....I keep procrastinating when it comes to going to the City Treasury and obtaining a parking permit. Weekdays there is a 2 hour time limit where I live. No big deal, I'm usually up early. However, sometimes I wake up early and think to myself...."Screw it, I'm tired, I'll pay the $25." Haha. It just pisses me off when they chalk my sidewalls because that shit doesn't want to come off. lol

Hope my stories cheer those up who are in need of cheering.

Last edited by ohsixMTee; 01-21-2012 at 12:29 AM.
Old 01-21-2012, 01:56 PM
Stage 1 Audi S5

Received 1,157 Likes on 682 Posts
I would think your dark wheels make your windows appear a bit darker too. Not to mention, usually if you mod your car you are young and younger people typically are the ones doing dumb things like smoking, drinking, etc. The TL, even if it is an 'S' doesn't scream young person's car so the cop might have let it slide then saw the wheels and decided to investigate further.
Old 01-21-2012, 01:58 PM
Stage 1 Audi S5

Received 1,157 Likes on 682 Posts
I was in a similiar situation once, young officer pulls me over and tickets me for tints, he was obviously a hater but what can you do? Rhetorical question, I fought them on account of him not properly administering the test and got them dismissed. While he ticketed me I never got upset because I had the satisfaction of knowing we're about the same age, I'm in a 40k+ car with over a 5th of his salary in mods, he probably stuck in a pos and is feelin' pouty
Moral of the story, money can't buy taste (sorry 4G TL, I liked all of your siblings)
Old 01-21-2012, 02:30 PM
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Wow guys, you're really going at it here, jeez..

Ok, after reading these comments I want to clarify a few things here:

First @ pttl:
When I was getting my windows tinted, I knew it was illegal and that at some point I was most likely going to get pulled over. I am willing to accept the consequences and pay the fine, and for that very reason I wasn't even mad at the cop. I was being nothing but nice to him although in my honest opinion I think there are more important laws that need to be enforced other than equipping your car with "safety glass"

The reason for this post was purely opinions.For example, between a regular TL and a slammed TL-S with custom rims and a lip kit, both with tinted windows, is one more likely to get ticketed than the other because it seemed all I had to do is repaint my rims to attract attention of the cops because my car lost the "stock" look. Makes me wonder what happens when I lower it. The reason for this post was not to bitch about the ticket as some people might have misunderstood.

Second @ Heart TLs

I wasn't being a smart ass asking him about his car, was just curious since he was young, I think he maybe even went to my High School. In any event, the town where I got pulled over is tiny, it's in the middle of my town. It's so small it's called a borough. It doesn't have it's own school, it uses facilities in my town. They have a PD with like 5 or 6 cops. I'm the only one driving a TL-S in that area. The cop has seen me hundreds of times and knows my car I'm sure. I'm sure he even knows the house I visit (my uncle's house) in that town because it consequently turns out to be the biggest house in that tiny town and obviously draws a lot of attention. Recently, the PD in the borough had a budget cut, and it's now part-time. At night there's only one or two cops on duty and cops from my town are filling in.

What town is this? As I happen to be an officer in Central Jersey as well.

And yes I've pulled over and ticketed numerous vehicles, make or model doesnt really matter. Tinted front windows are illegal in the state of NJ and if you have them, you have basically given me a PC to pull you over and a ticket depending on your attitude.

Ps: I'm young too lol
The following 2 users liked this post by emeka206:
civicdrivr (01-21-2012), mrmako (01-22-2012)
Old 01-21-2012, 11:50 PM
Drifting

Received 416 Likes on 365 Posts
Originally Posted by 1StGenCL
Moral of the story, money can't buy taste(sorry 4G TL, I liked all of your siblings)
Obviously, you have an FX right

Originally Posted by el.profe
Earlier this year I traded my 05 for an 07 Type-s. Recently I started to enjoy the look of the new TL' s after hating them so much, that I had to trade it in. I must say, I do enjoy the new ride in comparison to my previous TL's. The 4G makes me feel like I'm actually driving a luxury car
Old 01-22-2012, 02:11 AM
Someday, an RS6 Avant+

Received 947 Likes on 516 Posts
Obviously, you have an FX right
It beats having a Juke....(but not the Juke on roids)
HeartTLs (01-22-2012)
Old 01-23-2012, 11:08 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by emeka206

And yes I've pulled over and ticketed numerous vehicles, make or model doesnt really matter. Tinted front windows are illegal in the state of NJ and if you have them, you have basically given me a PC to pull you over and a ticket depending on your attitude.

I live in Scotch Plains, NJ. The town I got pulled over in is Fanwood.
Old 01-24-2012, 11:27 PM
Instructor

What town do you work in??

now that I think of it, I remember one more thing the officer said, he asked me if I ever got pulled over for tinted windows before.. I wonder why he'd ask me that? Do you ask people that when you pull them over? does that change anything as far as you giving them a fine?
Old 01-25-2012, 05:15 AM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

Received 1,651 Likes on 1,116 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Maker
C: 288
Maker, Christ!
Old 01-25-2012, 05:18 AM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

Received 1,651 Likes on 1,116 Posts
This is why I have never had tint on my Accord, even in Florida.
Old 01-25-2012, 12:29 PM
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
What town do you work in??

now that I think of it, I remember one more thing the officer said, he asked me if I ever got pulled over for tinted windows before.. I wonder why he'd ask me that? Do you ask people that when you pull them over? does that change anything as far as you giving them a fine?
Disclaimer: I'm going to make some opinions on some of your statements in this thread. Once again, they are just opinions which like a$$$holes, everyone got one.

1. Do you live in fanwood? Or in Scotch Plains? Which is your vehicle registered to? Reason asking is cuz you said you got pulled over while driving through your town. If I was a cop from Fanwood and ran your plate and it came back to S.P., you might run a higher probability of being pulled over. Might as well be from any other town other than Fanwood LoL. Just an opinion

2. When you pass the same patrol vehicle 100 times in the same location, it does not mean its the same driver at all times. maybe it happens to be a great location for spotting violators (red light, tints, no seatbelt, cell phone etc). You just happened to be violating the law at that time of day. Sh1t happens......... Now let's assume it was the same officer who happened to have seen you 100 times in the course of a year, at one point, it would click like wait wtf, who is this guy that continues to dive here with his tints? Let me check him out. He pulls you over and then not only do you not have a 2012 (or 2011) pba card which acts as a forfeiture to a motor vehicle violation but you get smart with him. Not the best move there buddy. Just an opinion

3. He probably asked you for any reason. An example MIGHT be if you have gotten pulled over before and the officer puts it on the computer that a warning or summons was issued to you for your tinted front windows (lets assume Jan 2011). The cop can clearly see it on the computer but would ask to see if you'd lie to not. I know I ask those questions to see what people say and sometimes i get lied to straight to my face. After I write the summons, I tell them that they were pulled over on this date and time and issued this n whatever else is on the computer. The kicker is when I go you wouldnt be getting this ticket if you were honest with me. You should see their faces. Pricelessssss!!! Boooooyah!!! Just an opinion

4. Metuchen's finest and I love my town.

5. My suggestion would be to pay for the summons, move on with your life and just be cautious when approaching law enforcement officials. You ARE breaking the law with tinted front windows so when you get stopped for it, catch yourself and show respect. It's an experience. Just a suggestion lol

Thank you and I'm out. Deuces

Last edited by emeka206; 01-25-2012 at 12:38 PM.
Old 01-25-2012, 02:26 PM
Ultra Negro

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts
So basically you are not allowed to have tint on front windows, and from my perspective you were pulled over and ticketed for it.

So what is this thread about then?

I just see complaining, well to each his own.
Old 01-25-2012, 08:34 PM
Instructor

Disclaimer: I'm going to make some opinions on some of your statements in this thread. Once again, they are just opinions which like a$$$holes, everyone got one.

1. Do you live in fanwood? Or in Scotch Plains? Which is your vehicle registered to? Reason asking is cuz you said you got pulled over while driving through your town. If I was a cop from Fanwood and ran your plate and it came back to S.P., you might run a higher probability of being pulled over. Might as well be from any other town other than Fanwood LoL. Just an opinion

2. When you pass the same patrol vehicle 100 times in the same location, it does not mean its the same driver at all times. maybe it happens to be a great location for spotting violators (red light, tints, no seatbelt, cell phone etc). You just happened to be violating the law at that time of day. Sh1t happens......... Now let's assume it was the same officer who happened to have seen you 100 times in the course of a year, at one point, it would click like wait wtf, who is this guy that continues to dive here with his tints? Let me check him out. He pulls you over and then not only do you not have a 2012 (or 2011) pba card which acts as a forfeiture to a motor vehicle violation but you get smart with him. Not the best move there buddy. Just an opinion

3. He probably asked you for any reason. An example MIGHT be if you have gotten pulled over before and the officer puts it on the computer that a warning or summons was issued to you for your tinted front windows (lets assume Jan 2011). The cop can clearly see it on the computer but would ask to see if you'd lie to not. I know I ask those questions to see what people say and sometimes i get lied to straight to my face. After I write the summons, I tell them that they were pulled over on this date and time and issued this n whatever else is on the computer. The kicker is when I go you wouldnt be getting this ticket if you were honest with me. You should see their faces. Pricelessssss!!! Boooooyah!!! Just an opinion

4. Metuchen's finest and I love my town.

5. My suggestion would be to pay for the summons, move on with your life and just be cautious when approaching law enforcement officials. You ARE breaking the law with tinted front windows so when you get stopped for it, catch yourself and show respect. It's an experience. Just a suggestion lol

Thank you and I'm out. Deuces

I live in Scotch Plains. The car is also registered in Scotch Plains. I got pulled over in Borough of Fanwood. these two are so close they even share the same schools. By the way he did not run my plates before pulling me over since he pulled me over almost right away after I passed by him, the way it happened, he just wouldn't have enough time.

Ok, not sure what was the comment about Pba cards. As far as I know they're pretty much useless and don't really warrant any kind of special treatment from an officer. I don't have anyone in the family who's a cop either. I donate 55 bucks to the local pba and also the fire dept. but that don't get me any card (a bunch of stickers that I don't bother posting anywhere)

A few years back I was driving with a friend, he got pulled over on Parkway for doing about 75 in a 55 on the parkway. The captain of Newark PD was a good family friend of his, he had "Superior Officers Fraternal Order of Police, Family Member" cards (black cards, thick one's like a credit card) so he gave it to the officer with his license, the cop went to his car, comes back in 5 minutes and gives my friend a ticket, his license and the FOP-S card back with that "shove it up your a$$ look"
Old 02-02-2012, 12:40 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 133 Likes on 108 Posts
I have no problem with being stopped for it. My problem comes from my story where a state trooper went out of his way to ticket me for only window tint. I was not speeding, or breaking any other laws.
We are of different opinions, you and I. I would have a problem with him not going out of his way to enforce the law. I would have a problem with law enforcement taking it upon themselves to decide which laws are important enough to enforce, and which aren't...that's not their job. I vote for people to do that. As a lawyer, it makes me uncomfortable to imagine that the police might feel entitled to decide which are important laws, and which aren't. Once that happens, then it's not a stretch for them to decide to enforce against the guy in a pimped out TL, and leave the woman in a Tercel alone. That just doesn't work for me.

As a side note, the windows on the '09 TL I bought a month ago have very dark tint all around (excepting the windshield, of course). I will get the front windows de-tinted, but will likely wait until summer to do so. If I get a ticket in the interim...my bad.

I've been fairly confident up until now, as our local police don't seem to care about tint, though the RCMP will chase you down. That's likely changing, as the locals are cracking down on the distracted driving laws, which I imagine will result in tinted cars being pulled over (if they can't see if I've got a cell phone, they'll likely want to punish me for it).
civicdrivr (02-02-2012)