2006 accord question

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2006, 08:34 AM
dɐɹɔ ǝɥʇ ʇɐɥʍ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 accord question

I feel like an idiot... no I mean more then normal! I can not for the life of me figure out how to reset the oil life light on a 2006 honda accord, its not like other honda's. I've searched the accord forums and can't find anything By any chance does anyone here have one or know how to reset it? It isn't a [i]Maint Req[i] light it has a little wrench and where the odometer/trip. is you can toggle one more position and it will show oil life XX% in the same screen.
Old 02-18-2006, 09:35 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
Got the manual ?? An oil light isn't something you just reset...

I don't know if the Accord had an oil life system (flexible service interval), but if it gets down to a certain percentage, you'll might need an oil change. That's how the new fangled oil life systems work, but I thought that only GM and MB had those systems in cars.

Hopefully Mike Wan will see this and comment...

When was the last time you checked (or changed) your oil ?? What's the percentage at (oil life XX= ??) ?? Hopefully it's just an oil life indicatior, and not something serious like low oil pressure.

If the accord doesn't have a oil life system, then you either need to check and add oil, find out why the light is going on (low oil pressure??, defective oil sending unit??, etc)...

I really don't know what the problem is 'cause I'm not familiar with the Accord's oil indicatiors.

On my acura, if the oil light goes on, it means big trouble. Usually oil pressure won't drop unless the engine is a couple quarts low, or there is a serious engine problem. On my CLS, an oil light would prompt me to take it back immediately to the dealer (it's under warranty still).
Old 02-18-2006, 09:58 AM
dɐɹɔ ǝɥʇ ʇɐɥʍ

Its not a low oil light, its oil change reminder light, its a friends car and we performed a service on it and he lost his manual because he is an idiot. I am thinking it may actually "read" the oil and determine the oil life that is left automatically. Just typically honda's all you have to do his hold the select/reset button and turn the key to the on position and that is all there is to it, this car is imune to that.
Old 02-18-2006, 10:18 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
Hmm... I would have thought someone would have posted that onhttp://www.v6p.net/ I couldn't find anything on it either...

I did see a post about some kid saying that the dealer told him that a sensor reads the oil's viscosity but couldn't find anything on the post about reseting...

Must be some way to reset it tho... (you got the select/reset deal right)...

Maybe ask the guys over on http://www.v6p.net/ ??
Old 02-18-2006, 10:25 AM
fap fap fap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
holding the reset button and turning the key turns off the maintanence light. i dunno about the oil light but u could try unhooking the negative side of the battery for 1 min then puting it back
Old 02-18-2006, 03:46 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
its just an oil life indicator that judges the life of the oil based off of how you drive the car. As to reset it,
1) Turn they key to the II position
2) Turn the key to the off position, and push and hold in the odometer reset button
3) Turn they key back to the II position, while still holding the button.
4) After about 10-15 seconds, the light should go off.

hope that helps
Old 02-18-2006, 03:59 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
Old Honda system > New
Old 02-18-2006, 06:32 PM
TL no more!

Ah yes, the Honda's Maintenance Minder System. Our '05 Odyssey has it. I think they are one of the new Honda models that has that system in '05. Oh yeah, that reminds me, my parents' van is getting close to the mark (15%). Heh...we haven't changed the oil in a year (currently has 5400 miles on it).
Old 02-18-2006, 08:33 PM

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
06 Accord has a Maintenance Minder System, that determines oil change intervals based upon driving conditions. It takes RPMs, oil temps, etc into account. It also determines when other services are necesssary (i.e. ATF change, etc), but those are based on the oil change intervals and are NOT determined by an another algorithm.

I'm not familiar with resetting the Maintenance Minder system on an 06 Accord, but check the 3G TL Garage as the instructions may be similar.

Bill, change the oil/filter on it. Oil/Filter must be changed at least once-a-year even if the maintenance minder system does not call for an oil change.