183k miles and only my second ever major issue...

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2018, 11:51 PM
Punk Rocker

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts
183k miles and only my second ever major issue...

Welp, got in the Genny to go to work today and realized as I was pulling onto my street that the A/C wasn't running. Living in south GA with temps in the upper 90's this was a problem. After some panicking I realized that the vents were indeed cold and if I switched manually to fresh air that cold air was venting through. So basically I'm guessing my blower motor died (which is weird cuz I drove like 120 miles yesterday and everything was fine). I've owned the car since it had 15k miles on it back in 2012 and the only other major issue its had (out of warranty) was an O2 sensor going bad back in 2016. Unfortunately I haven't seen really any good sources of video on YT for the Genesis sedan and specifically replacing the blower motor, but as far as I can figure it should be a simple matter of removing the trim panel below the glove box and pulling it out. I also have to admit that I've never actually replaced the cabin air filter in this car. Do you guys think something might have gotten lodged in the squirrel cage and is preventing it from spinning? Anybody with any experience with this issue in any car? Thanks fellas...
Old 07-17-2018, 07:03 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
the cabin air filter is pretty easy to check...I would start there...perhaps it's clogged?
then, after inspecting and making sure it's clean(replacement perhaps?), only then would I look at the blower.

it's easy to check the cabin filter....usually located behind the glovebox..drop the glovebox face/panel and you'll see it.
Old 07-17-2018, 10:19 AM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
You'd be best off trying to find a digital copy of the factory service manual for your particular car. I know you can often times buy them (for $$$), but, if there is a Genesis forum around, I'd ask/search through there to see if anyone has posted a digital copy of it, for free.

From there, I'd look up the blower system and see how difficult it is to get at it. Generally it only takes basic automotive tools to get at, but, I can't say I really know anything about the Genesis. If it is too much work for you, your final option, as much as it sucks, is to pay a shop to do it.

In my experience, especially after owning one, Hyundai dealerships are greasy beyond belief around here... more so than other dealers I've dealt with over the years. I wouldn't necessarily trust them- but, see if you can source a independent shop that knows Hyundais with a good reputation for the work they do. It might save you some money and everything gets fixed as necessary. While it sucks, hey, it's the first time in almost a decade that you're paying for a repair... not bad!
Old 07-17-2018, 12:49 PM
Safety Car

Received 486 Likes on 249 Posts
Always check fuses first when its an electrical problem. It may be something like that.

Now if the fuse is out, something was overloading the motor so it pulled more current than it needed to. But the problem might have been transitory and you'll get A/C back in the interim until you can figure out how to replace it.
Old 07-17-2018, 11:30 PM
Punk Rocker

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts
Thanks guys I appreciate the responses. I pulled the glove box today and checked the filter and, damn. There was like an entire forest of leaves and sticks and crap lodged into the filter, the surrounding area, and even spilling over into the glove box itself! When I pulled the filter all that crap dropped down into the passenger foot well and a bunch of it fell right into the blower fan! So I scooped out as much as I could with my hands and then tried the fan. Still nothing. So then I decided to try turning it with my finger just to see if there was anything keeping it from physically turning and.... It just about ripped my finger off! Well, the squirrel cage is plastic so no, not really, but it did scare the crap out of me! Anyway, it still wouldn't start itself from off unless I manually turned it first so I tried running it for a while and eventually it started working normally again. I still think I probably need a new motor (and will probably try to pull it out this weekend to clean it thoroughly anyway) but it worked all the way to work today and all the way home tonight, so I definitely bought myself a little time.

Since nobody has done a video for removing the blower motor in a Genesis sedan on YT I think I'll film it myself this weekend so that a resource will be out there for anybody looking for it. Hopefully the next time any of you guys do any fairly routine work on your cars you will film them and upload to YT as I find it to be an immense resource for fixing stuff or doing mods!