1 of the 3 Genesis in the United States...

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 04:38 PM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
1 of the 3 Genesis in the United States...

... was just under my command this morning. It's in the U.S. for testing and I was able to get some seat time. I'm trying to push for another test drive. It was a lot of fun to drive that thing.

It's a V6 with 6-speed auto and a mix-match of USDM and KDM, as some parts are U.S.-spec and some are Korean-spec. For instance, the door sills display "Equus" which is definitely Korean, but the front grille has the Hyundai badge on it which is technically neither Korean nor U.S. But considering the Korean version gets the winged emblem, this is most likely the U.S. version, or at least a prototype being considered for the U.S. market. The steering wheel is also marked with the traditional Equus symbol.

The interior is the same as the camoflouged prototype I test drove in Namyang, Korea last year. It's nice and comfortable. There's a resemblance to the Mercedes S-class and the Infiniti M-class which is no bad thing. It works and the stereo system is great. The upgraded Sonata interior is nice, but this is much better.

The V6 had no problem spinning the rear wheels on command. The only gripe I have is that even with the ESC disabled, stability still kicked in when I got the rear end out. My several attempts at drifting the car resulted in an epic failure due to the techno nannies onboard. I hope the production model will have a full disable feature of the stability control system. Otherwise I'll be "that guy" who cuts the stability control wire harness.

The stability control only kicked in when the rear end was completely out, and up to that point, the chassis felt rigid, stable and controllable. In normal driving, steering was just right; not too heavy or light with a good amount of feedback. But at highway cruising speeds, I thought it was a bit too touchy in the center but it could've been the shitty pavement.

Keep in mind that this car has been BEATEN to death and back several times. It has undergone severe testing and the car has been taken apart and put back together many times. It was still very nice, though. I cannot wait to get some seat time in a loaded V8 production version. It would be very, very nice.

Overall, I'm confident that most people who test drive the Genesis will end up buying one. This will be a big hit for Hyundai. RWD is oh so much fun.

Normally I wouldn't post pictures, but it's already been unveiled in Korea so it's no secret. Still, I'm only going to post few pictures for now. I may post more later.

In a couple of months, I'll have an early production Genesis Coupe on my hands along with a better example of the sedan. I'll post a review then.

Old 02-26-2008, 04:47 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Are the interior materials of lux quality?

I think the interior is decent, but for some reason, it looks like it could be of low quality plastic.

The steering wheel is still and I don't care for the fake wood trim flowing around the speedo and tach.

The exterior is excellent!
Old 02-26-2008, 04:58 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 9,967 Likes on 5,137 Posts
Originally Posted by Pure Adrenaline
The V6 had no problem spinning the rear wheels on command.
awesome because if you can't do that in a car such as this, well, it just sux.
Old 02-26-2008, 05:01 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wheres the RWD V8 coupe hynduia is suppose to make?
Old 02-26-2008, 05:03 PM
Just dial 1911

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just realized how much this thing is a ripoff of the RL front end.

But hey, its cheaper, so who cares...right?
Old 02-26-2008, 05:10 PM
Dragging knees in

Originally Posted by Walmart Gangsta
wheres the RWD V8 coupe hynduia is suppose to make?
The coupe probably won't get the V8. Instead a high performance 300+ hp version of the Lamda V6 will power the Coupe, along with a turbocharged I-4.

The production version will be unveiled within the next year.
Old 02-26-2008, 05:11 PM
I

Received 58 Likes on 24 Posts
The front looks much better than the RL.
Old 02-26-2008, 05:11 PM
Dragging knees in

Originally Posted by Moog-Type-S
Are the interior materials of lux quality?

I think the interior is decent, but for some reason, it looks like it could be of low quality plastic.

The steering wheel is still and I don't care for the fake wood trim flowing around the speedo and tach.

The exterior is excellent!
It's not LS460 quality, by any means, but I would rate it pretty high among its competitors in the class.
Old 02-26-2008, 05:13 PM
Safety Car

Received 168 Likes on 122 Posts
There's probably one tooling around the Irvine/Costa Mesa/Fountain Valley area in Cali. I remember I'd always see Hyundai's test vehicles when I used to work in Costa Mesa.
Old 02-26-2008, 05:14 PM
Dragging knees in

Originally Posted by joerockt

Like the RL isn't supposed to be a cheaper alternative to the legitimate luxury brand vehicles.

Not to mention the RL turned out to be a flop. Let's see which car does better in sales; the Genesis or the RL.
Old 02-26-2008, 05:15 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 638 Likes on 276 Posts
Like the RL isn't supposed to be a cheaper alternative to the legitimate luxury brand vehicles.

Not to mention the RL turned out to be a flop. Let's see which car does better in sales; the Genesis or the RL.

This car will sell like hotcakes, just not to the same people who are buying Benz or Lexus. People need to realize that.
Old 02-26-2008, 05:15 PM
Dragging knees in

Originally Posted by CarbonGray Earl
There's probably one tooling around the Irvine/Costa Mesa/Fountain Valley area in Cali. I remember I'd always see Hyundai's test vehicles when I used to work in Costa Mesa.
Irvine Design Studio is located there, so yes, you will see them around in the area. Hyundai Motor America headquarters is located in Fountain Valley, as well.

SE Michiganders would often see Hyundai prototypes, as the R&D Center is located in Ann Arbor.
Old 02-26-2008, 05:18 PM
Banned

the korean logo looks like a turkey wishbone...haha
Old 02-26-2008, 05:19 PM
JnC
Former Sponsor

Received 351 Likes on 227 Posts
Ok, for some reason this car looked much better in the SB commercials :gheylaugh: but after looking at these pictures it looks like an over grown sonata with buick regals interior, I'd have respectfully pass .
Old 02-26-2008, 05:27 PM
Just dial 1911

No, but this is an even cheaper, cheaper alternative. And the term "luxury" is highly questionable for the Genesis.

Unless this thing becomes a complete flop, it shouldn't have any problem surpassing the RL's paltry sales.

Will you be testing a V8 model?
Old 02-26-2008, 05:35 PM
The Third Ball

Received 4,824 Likes on 2,571 Posts
No, but this is an even cheaper, cheaper alternative. And the term "luxury" is highly questionable for the Genesis.

Unless this thing becomes a complete flop, it shouldn't have any problem surpassing the RL's paltry sales.

Here you go again

How do you know it will be a cheaper cheaper alternative? Have you seen one in person yet? Sat in one?

Give it a rest already. We don't know yet, though PA has a clue. Otherwise we'll all find out when this car is finally released.
Old 02-26-2008, 05:39 PM
Just dial 1911

Originally Posted by Sarlacc
Here you go again

How do you know it will be a cheaper cheaper alternative? Have you seen one in person yet? Sat in one?

Give it a rest already. We don't know yet, though PA has a clue. Otherwise we'll all find out when this car is finally released.
Oh, I don't know, based on PRICE maybe?
Old 02-26-2008, 05:42 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 236 Likes on 97 Posts
I think in terms of exterior design Hyundai hit a score of 10 out of 10. Like pureadrenaline said, it's a mix of S-class and Infiniti M but I think the result is really good looking.The interior is questionable, especially the steering wheel and the general layout design. Let it be said, if I was in the market, I'd get the Genesis over the redesigned 09 RL. I'm still convinced people won't even give it a look under pretext it's a Korean vehicle. A Hyundai
Old 02-26-2008, 05:43 PM
The Third Ball

You can't always tell anything from price.

What if...just what if Hyundai is undercutting everyone to get their product in the market. And then if it catches on and grows over the years, the price will increase.

Shit I dont anyone who followed this model before coughacuralexushondatoyotainfinitietccough
Old 02-26-2008, 05:43 PM
That was uncalled for...

Received 43 Likes on 27 Posts
Love it... everything about it...

I don't give a rats ass who they copied... This car works...
Old 02-26-2008, 05:46 PM
Dragging knees in

What do you drive again? It's an honest question. I just want to know your background and financial status to see why you're so negative about a great option for us consumers in the $30k+ family sedan market.

I mean, unless someone shops in the BMW 5-series range at minimum, I would hope that he/she would give the Genesis a test drive at the least. It's a worthy contender. This has nothing to do with the fact that I work for the company. Even if this were an Isuzu, I would at least give it some consideration... not put it down before you even have a chance to see one, much less test drive, in person.

It's a great choice to consider in the highly competitive $30k+ range. For picky car guys like ourselves who shop for family sedans, this could just be the fix; a rear-wheel drive V8 sedan for an affordable price. I just don't understand why you have to put forth so much negativity. Aren't we all better off as we have more choices? Especially when it's a drivetrain and powertrain that is rare to find in this range?

Then again, perhaps others are just more open-minded than you are. Unless you drive something like an S65 AMG on a daily basis, you can't justify talking shit about the Genesis. But that could verify the fact that you're a jackass.
Old 02-26-2008, 05:47 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Looks like a rip off of all the luxury cars in the same price range....

Interior looks like a clash between the S-class,M45, and CLS....front end looks like an RL and LS460...rear trunk looks like the 7 series...the light stack looks like the LS and the rear valance looks like the RL's....

And those rims...look like some cheap ASA wheels tire rack always has on special
Old 02-26-2008, 05:48 PM
I got the Shifts

Received 230 Likes on 163 Posts

yea and the rear is a rip off the new bimmers. but who cares if it looks nice to the consumer? i agree with the interior needing some work, wood is kind of played as well as the wheels other than that..its a pretty nice car if hyundai fixes the kinks. how does the nav work?
Old 02-26-2008, 05:48 PM
Dragging knees in

I'm sorry. Where have you seen the official Genesis prices published for the U.S. market again?
Old 02-26-2008, 05:53 PM
Suzuka Master

oh the side profile is a complete G35 clone....
Old 02-26-2008, 05:55 PM
The Third Ball

Originally Posted by JJaber06
oh the side profile is a complete G35 clone....
If you havent figured out that most car designs are pretty incestuous...well, welcome to the world.
Old 02-26-2008, 05:59 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Sarlacc
If you havent figured out that most car designs are pretty incestuous...well, welcome to the world.
I've never really seen anything this bad though....not when you can spot the similarities right off the bat. It just looks like one of those really fancy custom conversions people do when they put different companies lights or grille on their car.
Old 02-26-2008, 06:26 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
In a couple of months, I'll have an early production Genesis Coupe on my hands along with a better example of the sedan. I'll post a review then.

Cool... you answered my question before I got to ask it
Old 02-26-2008, 06:37 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
Then again, perhaps others are just more open-minded than you are.

I don't care about badges... whatever car fits my needs, wants and budget at the time, get my business...

I can easily consider a BMW or Hyundai... and while looking for an affordable RWD 2+2 coupe might have to do just that... pick a genesis coupe or 128i...

10 years ago, I would never even consider buying a Hyundai... but times have changed... and so have my opinion of the brand...
Old 02-26-2008, 06:40 PM
Just dial 1911

What do you drive again? It's an honest question. I just want to know your background and financial status to see why you're so negative about a great option for us consumers in the $30k+ family sedan market.

I mean, unless someone shops in the BMW 5-series range at minimum, I would hope that he/she would give the Genesis a test drive at the least. It's a worthy contender. This has nothing to do with the fact that I work for the company. Even if this were an Isuzu, I would at least give it some consideration... not put it down before you even have a chance to see one, much less test drive, in person.

It's a great choice to consider in the highly competitive $30k+ range. For picky car guys like ourselves who shop for family sedans, this could just be the fix; a rear-wheel drive V8 sedan for an affordable price. I just don't understand why you have to put forth so much negativity. Aren't we all better off as we have more choices? Especially when it's a drivetrain and powertrain that is rare to find in this range?

Then again, perhaps others are just more open-minded than you are. Unless you drive something like an S65 AMG on a daily basis, you can't justify talking shit about the Genesis. But that could verify the fact that you're a jackass.
Dude, relax...I'm allowed to have a goddamn opinion and my opinion of Hyundai as far as what they've put out AT THIS POINT IN TIME isn't impressive at all. A lot of you are looking at it from the perspective of "well, others will like it" or "should be a great car for others to drive" whereas I'm looking at it from the perspective of "Would I personally purchase this car?". Would others buy it, sure! Its going to sell...Would I? Nope...I never personally like the look and now I can confirm for sure I don't like the interior. Why would I test drive something I have no starting interest in?

And since when is someone not allowed to be a skeptic? Look, if the car is a success, fantastic, I hope Hyundai makes a lot of money and you have a job for a long time. But until then, I'm a skeptic like a LOT of other people out there about the crooked H.

So quit getting all butt hurt about an opinion and deal with it already...
Old 02-26-2008, 06:44 PM
Just dial 1911

I'm sorry. Where have you seen the official Genesis prices published for the U.S. market again?
Doesnt need to be official, as its already been said its going to be priced around $30K (Like you JUST said yourself a few posts ago). Last I checked, the RL is priced at $46K...
Old 02-26-2008, 06:48 PM
Race Director

Originally Posted by Walmart Gangsta
the korean logo looks like a turkey wishbone...haha
that's what i thought too.
Old 02-26-2008, 06:50 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 9,967 Likes on 5,137 Posts
nice Dodge Ram logo on the steering wheel...
Old 02-26-2008, 06:56 PM
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts
I actually like the looks of this car give it some dark ass windows and debadge it entirely and it'd look just like any other luxury car. I want one.
Old 02-26-2008, 07:23 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 236 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by GreenMonster

I don't care about badges... whatever car fits my needs, wants and budget at the time, get my business...

I can easily consider a BMW or Hyundai... and while looking for an affordable RWD 2+2 coupe might have to do just that... pick a genesis coupe or 128i...

10 years ago, I would never even consider buying a Hyundai... but times have changed... and so have my opinion of the brand...
Best post in Car Talk of 08! Much Respect.
Old 02-26-2008, 07:34 PM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
When is this supposed to hit the market? I might have to talk my parents into looking at a Hyundai.

I personally am looking forward to the coupe.
Old 02-26-2008, 07:51 PM
I'm in

Received 20 Likes on 5 Posts
I like it...
Old 02-26-2008, 07:55 PM
Suzuka Master

I sat in one of these at the Chicago auto show. It's certainly a bargain, but the old addage "you get what you pay for" came immediately to mind.
Old 02-26-2008, 07:57 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 269 Likes on 229 Posts
front end looks like RL like someone said , and the rear reminds me of 5 series BMW. nit bad looking actually, but the Hyndai sign is ruining it. just sad
Old 02-26-2008, 08:12 PM
Team Owner

Received 105 Likes on 69 Posts
Originally Posted by CGTSX2004
When is this supposed to hit the market? I might have to talk my parents into looking at a Hyundai.

I personally am looking forward to the coupe.

Boy Kevin, you sure have changed... just kidding.

Quick Reply: 1 of the 3 Genesis in the United States...