$2000 market value bullshit charge on RSX-S

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2001, 10:24 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
$2000 market value bullshit charge on RSX-S

I dropped by Canyon Acura in Anaheim Hills CA today to have a look at the RSX-S in person. On the dealer sticker, they'd added nearly a grand for the rear spoiler and a $2000 "market value" add on. I guess that's for illiterate people with more money than brains or self control. If I was still driving my 92 Integra, I probably would have slooged all over that thing. I like the way it looks. The seats felt nice as did the controls. The steering wheel diameter felt very small, but the wheel itself was pretty thick. The gearshift had a nice feel to it, but I'd have to get used to finding 5th gear. On my old car, I'd push all the way to the right, then up for 5th. On the RSX-S, it won't go up from the far right. You have to pull it back to the left slightly first. Whatever. I talked to the salesman about the rumors I'd heard about the 02 CL-S manual. He felt the way I did about transmissions and said he was bummed when he got the new 2002 order book. He showed me this thick binder with info on all the cars. On the CL "whats new" section, it had a few bullet points like the blue paint on the Type S. Then it listed all 4 ways the car comes equipped: Premium, Type S, navi, no navi. All four had automatic under the transmission column.
Old 07-07-2001, 10:27 PM
aka davo-tsx

I dropped by me dealer this afternoon and checked out a RSX-Type S and boy was I dissapointed.....with the price!!!! The sticker was just short of $28k. What?

Is Acura trying to match the sales figures of the RSX to the CL. (L-O-W)
Old 07-07-2001, 11:05 PM
Racer

28k?!?!?!? please tell me thats after crazy markup! If not acura is diggin themselves in a whole. That car is meant to sell to teenagers...how many teenagers can afford that!(I know i cant) If they are gonna make it that expensive they shouldnt have made it! The RSX ruins Acura's luxury image.
Old 07-07-2001, 11:18 PM
Banned

Acura is trying to go upmarket and get away from the riceboy teenagers image. That explains the pricing. Whether the car justifies the pricing is another story. This is probably just rollout dealer gouging. They did the same thing on the CL. They just have to be careful pricing it too close to the CL. That V6 and extra luxury is tough to compete against if the price is the same.
Old 07-08-2001, 12:58 AM
Instructor

When I picked up my new TL-S I stopped at Metro Acrua in Montclair an they had one on the showroom floor and they wanted almost 29k for it, including the added crap they added to the car they wanted $2,500 over MSRP. When I picked up the TL-S at South Coast Acura, the one they had was marked up $500 over MSRP. It pays to shop
Old 07-08-2001, 01:11 AM
Three Wheelin'

damn...$28k...if they still had the prelude, i'd rather get that...or a '01 type r with low mileage...i wouldn't get an rsx type-s for more than $26k out the door...
Old 07-08-2001, 01:50 AM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Acura should get on these dealers for doing this. American car dealer tactics. My dealer tacked on $1,200+ for "appearance package".. floor mats, tape pin stripes and sealant. That's bullshit. RSX is nice but it ain't no 27 thousand dollar ride....SORRY ACURA. I'll keep my Pimp Daddy Gold CL-S and they can keep their over inflated 4 banger. Besides, my interior is much nicer than a ricer. Hell I could buy a new Prelude, loaded, for under 22K.
Old 07-08-2001, 01:53 AM
Advanced

I got my S2000 for 28k...

Hmmm.....rsx-s or s2000, tought decision
Old 07-08-2001, 01:58 AM
Rock Chalk Jayhawk

Playing devil's advocate here, you have to look at it from the dealers's point of view. They have a new model that will probably be in demand for a while, and there are people willing to pay that much for it. You're telling me that if you worked in the dealership you wouldn't at least attempt to sell the RSX at that price? Yea it's underhanded, but it's business. Consider yourselves the lucky ones who know the market and wouldn't think about paying that much.
Old 07-08-2001, 02:56 AM
White Lightning

I agree with what he said above. I am majoring in business administration and almost done with my studies. ( thank god )

Well anyways, in a market of business, especially automobile industry, they do not care if you do not buy it or not. There will always be someone else that will buy the car.
Since they changed them name from Integra to RSX, they thought maybe people would have a different perspective on the integra or RSX. I believe what Acura did was a market strategy to improve their sales by also changing the car's name. This create a high demand for the car, that anyone will buy the car even at over 3 or 4 thousand over MSRP.You can not blame Acura for doing this because this is exactly how business works in the world. I would do the same thing if i owned a dealership. A dealership only gets a limited supply of cars each week or month or however it works. This way, customers are fighting to get the car they want, especially the RSX. There's plenty of other things why they mark up the price of the RSX. In this world, especially in the automobile industry, they dont give 3 shit about the customers. They just want to empty the lot. I could add more things, but I'm getting lazy to type all things and I dont want to bore you guys.

But be glad you arent the one getting fucked over for paying 28K for the RSX-S. You're being the smart one to wait because they aren't going to stop production of the car anytime soon.