Year:
(Range)

Make:

Model:

Price:

Mileage:

Color:

Location (State/Prov):

TL w/ Broken Fogs!?!?! (Lexan Replacement)

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2004 | 02:44 AM
Banned

TL w/ Broken Fogs!?!?! (Lexan Replacement)

I Finally got permission to sell these lens from a MODERATOR to dispose of the remainder Lens that I had made. I wont be making ne for a while and want to get rid of what I have. So here it is:

I am selling Lexan Lens to those who are interested in fixing their Fog Lights, that might have chips and cracks in them. This is the best alternative to not paying the enormous price that the dealer charges in replacing the entire fog housing for 200 bux as they dont just sell the lens.

The Acura OEM lens is made up of mostly glass and is the reason for it cracking. Lexan however will withstand an enormous amount of impact and will not crack or shatter. This is the same material they use for bulletproofing windows!! The look of it will absolutely look 100% stock!! No difference at all!!

The Lexan Lens is a thick material that is almost impossible to cut and shape, and I have to use special machinery to get the precision cut to perfectly fit our TL fog housings. You will have to do no cutting sanding or any grunt work with these lens, all you have to do is take your old lens off and put these in its place. Its that simple!! I sell them by the pair or individually. Little bit of a discount for those who buy the pair.

Here are some pics of the Lens.. pay attention to the cut and the finish, particularly the edges:

Price is as follows:
$40 bux for each lens, plus $1.89 for shipping. For a pair of lens, it will be $75 and free shipping. <~~~ This works out to $37.50 each lens.
Pricing mentioned above is only for money orders. I do accept paypal, and credit cards thru paypal. But due to the fees, price will be a little bit more not by much, if you factor in cost of stamp and money order. If you decide to pay through paypal, the prices would be:

PAYPAL
Single Lens: $43.75 shipped
Pair of Lens: $77.75 shipped

MONEY ORDER
Single Lens: $41.89 shipped
Pair of Lens: $75.00 shipped

**Shipping is only in the continental U.S. I can ship else where but PM or email me and we will work out the shipping costs. My paypal address is NYDesi80@aol.com Also feel free to drop me an email or even IM me online for ne further questions.

For those of you who aren't comfortable doing the mod, I can do it for you for a minimal labor charge. PM, email me or IM me at NYDESI80@aol.com

Follow these instructions to do the mod.. very easy:
http://www.abunchofcars.com/diy_pag...ight_repair.htm
Old 02-18-2004 | 03:52 PM
Banned

NYD,
I think you are charging way too much for the lens. My advise to you is to lower your price to $40-50/pair.
Old 02-18-2004 | 05:24 PM
Banned

Vumer2000, if you think my price is not fair, I suggest you try cutting the Lexan yourself and tell me if your successful in producing same quality finish with the edges. It takes me about 35-40mts. to cut each lens and sand it smooth to that finish.

You second option is to just get it replaced by the dealer for 200 bux each fog lamp. I asked Hcchon and he who cuts and shapes metal, couldnt shape these Lexan's the same way that I have it done and is about to buy a pair from me, cuz he know the level of difficulty. Ne one can cut these lens, but it will be very irregular, I know this for a fact.

So, Im sorry u find it too expensive, and I sell it for your price for 40 bux to 50 bux a pair, I might was well not sell it at all just to make that low of a profit for my time invested. There is nothing I can do, I apologize.
Old 02-18-2004 | 05:39 PM
TL-S driver

i have a pair from him and they are perfectly shaped with stamped out quality. i can't wait till my wrist is better so i can get them on.
Old 02-18-2004 | 06:24 PM

Lexan lenses

These lenses are great; the quality of these are very good. Compared to the dealer cost for a single assembly, these are a great buy and even if you get the new assembly from the dealer, it's still glass so it could easily break again.

Thanks again.
Old 02-18-2004 | 07:11 PM
Advanced

Great product, easy to install, and great quality. I highly advise you people who have cracks or chips to do the lexan conversion. With my new super white bulbs, they look great. I saved $100 and i'm loving it.

I finished it up today, took me about 2 hours, and letting it dry tonight. Going to do a follow up touch up tomorrow. I'll tell you guys how it turns out.
Old 02-18-2004 | 09:46 PM
Instructor

nydesi80 was fast and easy service answer all of my questiong with a quick responds i highly recommend him to anyone on this board...
Old 02-23-2004 | 01:34 PM
Instructor

Raj (nydesi80) provided excellent customer service before, during, and after the transaction. Excellent product which saved me $150 (I only had one cracked fog). However, I went ahead and purchased both sides and changed up the other fog lense as well. Now, I have no worries concerning cracked lenses and it looks stock too! Well worth it. Thanks for the smooth transaction...
Old 02-23-2004 | 06:53 PM
bluLEGEND

I have used lexan before and being a type of acrylic, they scratch easily. I could imagine that after a few thousand miles, the lens would be very hazy.

But it's true, lexan is one of the most durable plastics.
Old 02-24-2004 | 01:01 AM
Pro

Raj is excellent to deal with. The lenses were cut to exact specifications and fit perfectly.

I seem to have a small seal problem though. I made sure to use enough silicone on both lenses but they both fog up a little after washing my car. It is fairly cold here so that could be the case. I am sure I did seal it tightly though. Any ideas?

Here is a small tip, try heating the old silicone with a heat gun for about 15mins. It makes it "peel" up easier. MAKE SURE YOU WEAR GOGGLES!

Bryan
Old 02-24-2004 | 02:25 AM
Banned

Originally posted by autophile1
Raj is excellent to deal with. The lenses were cut to exact specifications and fit perfectly.

I seem to have a small seal problem though. I made sure to use enough silicone on both lenses but they both fog up a little after washing my car. It is fairly cold here so that could be the case. I am sure I did seal it tightly though. Any ideas?

Here is a small tip, try heating the old silicone with a heat gun for about 15mins. It makes it "peel" up easier. MAKE SURE YOU WEAR GOGGLES!

Bryan
Thanx Bryan and all of you's for the postive feedback!! I reall appreciate it.

Now, to adress your problem with the seal. This is what I did, I knwo the directions call for just putting the sealant in the grooves of the fog housing and then placing the lexan on top of it till the silicone makes contact and then put the clip back on. I didn't stop there and added some more steps and mine came out perfect, no problem till this day. Here is what I did:

(1) After the original silicone dried I removed the clips, then I observed the gaps that were in the sides of the fog/lexan and filled it in with more silicone. Then put the clips back on and let it dry for anotehr day on a radiator.

(2) Then I removed the clips again the next day and this time, I observed closely ne more gaps or pin hole type and filled that in carefully and also, applied silicone on the front-outter edges of the lexan (literally on the Lexan itself) where it connected with the metal fog housing. Hope this makes sense. Then after applying silicone there I flattened it out with my finger, this is very important part of this step. After flattening it out i let it dry and it basically forms a seal arudn the lexan and fog housing. This seal acts as if you had placed a tape outlining the whole fog housing and covering about .5cm of the lexan glass, except instsead of tape its silicone. Then put the clip back on and you wont even see the messy silicone on the front-outter edge of the fog housing. The reason why I tell you to flatten it with ur finger is cuz if you dont, the clip wont fit on the fog housing. It has to be very flat or else the clip will buldge out.

By doing these additionaly steps I feel that even if a person is good with creating a good seal with the fog housing, these extra steps secures it and makes it very tight. Also giving you a huge protection.

Well I hope all this makes sense... I tried to be as detailed as I could. Drop me a line and let me know if there are ne othr questions.
Old 02-24-2004 | 01:42 PM
ChairmanMaoSaysRTFM

NY Desi80, do you have any lenses left? i think i would be interested in getting a set since it is only inevitable where i live that my lenses will get broken eventually
Old 02-24-2004 | 01:50 PM
Banned

Originally posted by SatinSilverTypS
NY Desi80, do you have any lenses left? i think i would be interested in getting a set since it is only inevitable where i live that my lenses will get broken eventually
Hahaha.. planning for the future I see!! You should be an investment banker!! I've sent you a PM, and yes I do have them.
Old 02-24-2004 | 02:56 PM
bluLEGEND

A note about using silicone on plastics. It does not stick or bond or seal very well. Silicone works wonders on glass but not on plastics. One would want to use the same seam sealer body shops use between pieces of sheet metal. I know this from building and working with aquarium modifications and from personal experience with car mods.
Old 02-24-2004 | 03:01 PM
bluLEGEND

Also the reason the seal may break is because of the thermal expansion of the lexan. The fog lights in our car get the housing very hot. I'm not sure how soft the lexan gets under normal conditions, but I have a sheet of lexan about 5" from a 250W metal halide (HID) bulb and it does warp a little, but not much at all. But the bulb is well ventilated in my case.

So what about the hazing of the lexan from driving and road damage? I am a little bit interested in picking a pair up also.
Old 02-24-2004 | 06:21 PM
Banned

Originally posted by blulegend
I have used lexan before and being a type of acrylic, they scratch easily. I could imagine that after a few thousand miles, the lens would be very hazy.

But it's true, lexan is one of the most durable plastics.
Originally posted by blulegend
Also the reason the seal may break is because of the thermal expansion of the lexan. The fog lights in our car get the housing very hot. I'm not sure how soft the lexan gets under normal conditions, but I have a sheet of lexan about 5" from a 250W metal halide (HID) bulb and it does warp a little, but not much at all. But the bulb is well ventilated in my case.

So what about the hazing of the lexan from driving and road damage? I am a little bit interested in picking a pair up also.
Sorry I didnt see that you posted before too. Ok let me see if I can explain this to the best of my ability. Before making these lens, I looked into all of these aspects and was aware of Lexans ease to being scratched. Now there are three grades of Lexan that GE manufactures and the 2 top grades are XL10 and MR10. I used XL10. Now MR10 is 95% scratch resistant and wont haze at all. But the cost of buying a small sheet I was quoted $150.00!!! This would defenitely raise the price up so much that it wont be even worth to go this route. The second best is XL10 and at a much more nominal price per sheet. This will also resist scratching and hazing just not as well as the MR10. The XL10 Lexan, which is what I've used, has been coated by GE with a special UV forumula on one side that reduces the Hazing/Yellowing. Many people who have bought it from me will know that this side is covered w/ a green label. Hazing/Yellowing is caused due to excessive sunlight absorbtion attacking the polymer bonds and causing them to break in the polycarbon chain. This is what causes the haze and yellowing. (Little bit of organic chemistry I know). The UV coating will do a good job of preventing that, obviously not as well as the MR10, due to an additional resin it contains, on top of the UV coating that the XL 10 sheet has.

So the MR10 is basically and XL10 sheet coated with resin.

So then I asked other members who have done the XL10 conversion and all have gone for about 2 years with no hazing/yellowing and significant scratching with the XL10 LEXAN, lens. And I also researched for a solution in the event if hazing does happen, it can be taken care of easily by using this product that removes Haze and scrathes on Lexan.
http://www.clearglasssystems.com/poly_kits.htm

Cut and paste the link for some reason it dont work.

You dont need to buy the whole kit just the first product and that does the trick. And this is a more cost efficient and logical solution to the enormously priced MR-10 Sheet. Especially because most of the people who have done the XL-10 Lexan Conversion haven't experienced hazing till this day after almost 2 years, so why spend more money on the MR-10... right?

And also, when u mentioned Hazing, I know precisely what u are talkign about, because at my old house, we had replaced a small garage door window with plexi glass..... not Lexan. The plexi glass was bought from home depot and hazing occured within a year. Note I said I bought plexi glass and not Lexan., there is a difference. Though they both are the same polycarbonated material, GE however adds other chemicals that withstand UV rays, hazing and yellowing far better then regular plexi and therefore calls their improved polycarbonated plexi glass ---> Lexan to be distinguished. That is why Lexan is a superior product to normal Plexi.

I hope this satisfactorily anwers your question blulegend.
Old 02-26-2004 | 09:32 AM
10th Gear

NYDesi80 was a excellent source of info and was very prompt in delivering the lens. I would recommend him to anyone who is looking to spruce up his fogs.
Old 02-27-2004 | 04:16 PM
Banned

Thanx for the postive feed back guys, I still have Lens Left, if ne one else needs.
Old 03-03-2004 | 03:20 PM
Banned

I still have Lens Left guys if ne one needs??? Ne one?
Old 03-05-2004 | 11:57 PM
Banned

i do and i am in yonkers. we gotta meet some time
Old 03-08-2004 | 01:52 AM
Advanced

i will ...let me get some time to save the money up...
Old 03-09-2004 | 02:23 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Nick79
i do and i am in yonkers. we gotta meet some time
I sent you a PM but no response. Pretty much just name the time and place and its a done deal, but shipping is free so it dont matter.

Originally posted by armanixsouljah
i will ...let me get some time to save the money up...
No problem, but this is why I accept credit card payments via PAYPAL, so that people can just buy it now and pay it later. But however you want to do it is fine with me.
Old 03-18-2004 | 10:28 AM
Banned

I still have some left people.
Old 03-19-2004 | 04:53 PM
Racer

Originally posted by NYDesi80
I still have some left people.
How does one replace the lens, how long does it take and how hard is it. I've read about heat guns and stuff. I have a cracked glass and would like to fix it. But I would hate to have fogged lenses cause I didn't put them in right. the price is reasoble if it is not too much trouble to install. Thanks!
Old 03-21-2004 | 02:55 AM
Banned

PM Sent
Old 03-28-2004 | 08:11 PM
Banned

I still have pairs left.. bump bump..
Old 04-01-2004 | 11:43 PM
Banned

^^
Old 04-06-2004 | 02:00 AM
Banned

bumpity bump
Old 04-10-2004 | 03:22 PM
Just agree and go away...

I just sent you a PM... please let me know

---
LargeOne
Old 04-13-2004 | 12:36 PM
still a Masshole

I have a cracked lense, do you still have pairs? I might be interested so either respond here or PM me.

Thanks.
Old 04-14-2004 | 11:51 PM
Advanced

Cracked fog light lens

My right fog light lens has a rock chip crack. Moisture is getting inside. I need to replace it, but I'm a little stymied on how to get to it. I know I need to come in from underneath. I can't figure out how to remove the access panel. There's a couple of plastic flanged screws the seem to be holding the panel in place. Do I just yank on the panel real hard to pop the screws loose? I'm hesitant for fear of breaking something.

Also read on this thread something about Lexan lens covers. Didn't quite get the whole picture coming into the middle of the conversation. More info, please. Thanks!

r.s.
Old 04-19-2004 | 10:11 PM
Banned

I sent all of you's PM's ... Rollingstone, ferizzo, and Large One, but no responses back at all? Wassup?? Please let me know what's going on guys.
Old 04-22-2004 | 09:07 PM
Banned

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Old 04-29-2004 | 12:40 PM
Banned

GE Silicone II is what I used to make the seal, however I have had people tell me that they have used RTV Sealant as well. Either one works. A small tube of GE Silicone can be purchased at home depot for about 5 bux.
Old 05-10-2004 | 01:01 AM
Banned

Just giving it another bump.
Old 05-12-2004 | 04:36 PM
Banned

Hey NYDesi i heard you need a ballast for your TL. Let me know i have set
Old 05-12-2004 | 05:31 PM
Need a WHAmbulance

Originally Posted by NYDesi80
Price is as follows:
$40 bux for each lens, plus $1.89 for shipping. For a pair of lens, it will be $75 and free shipping. <~~~ This works out to $37.50 each lens.
Pricing mentioned above is only for money orders. I do accept paypal, and credit cards thru paypal. But due to the fees, price will be a little bit more not by much, if you factor in cost of stamp and money order. If you decide to pay through paypal, the prices would be:

PAYPAL
Single Lens: $43.75 shipped
Pair of Lens: $77.75 shipped

MONEY ORDER
Single Lens: $41.89 shipped
Pair of Lens: $75.00 shipped

**Shipping is only in the continental U.S. I can ship else where but PM or email me and we will work out the shipping costs. My paypal address is NYDesi80@aol.com Also feel free to drop me an email or even IM me online for ne further questions.
Do you still have a pair available?
Old 05-19-2004 | 01:00 AM
Banned

Yes I have Pairs still available.
Old 05-20-2004 | 10:43 PM
Banned

Well I would like a Ballast but not right now as I have other committments, so I'll have to take a rain check.
Old 05-22-2004 | 12:02 PM
Mugen CL9

OK, for those of you debating on buying a set of this Lexan as a replacement for the OEM foglight lens, here's a little review. I purchased a set from NYDesi80 a few weeks ago, since I already had the experience of having 2 OEM lenses crack from road debris.

First off, NYDesi80 was very helpful and provides a great product. The Lexan is a perfect fit and replacement for the foglights. They look stronger than the glass lens that comes from the factory. From the outside, one could harldy tell that the lens was even replaced. Installation was relatively easy also. Unfortunately, you have to literally break the glass lens and clear it from the housing as well as all the old sealant. Once that is done, the Lexan fits perfectly in the housing. I used clear silicone sealant to reseal the housing and so far, no fogging or leaking.

The lexan is well worth the money since the price just to replace ONE foglight from the dealer is over $150. Keep in mind, most dealers will not replace the foglight if the lens is cracked from road debris, I heard that some dealers won't even replace it if there is condensation in the foglight. All in all, no regrets in this purchase.

Quick Reply: TL w/ Broken Fogs!?!?! (Lexan Replacement)