Canadian TLers

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2004, 06:58 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Canadian TLers

hey there fellow canadians, we should start a regional section on the board for Canadian TL owners of navi AT and Dynamic pkg cars. That way it will be easier to keep track of the build problems and other issues more locally. It would also be nice to find out who's in the different parts of Canada. Nothing against our brothers from the south i'd check both sections.
Old 01-07-2004, 07:00 PM
Instructor

I am ok with that. I finally got my build date for my silver/ebony navi. Its tomorrow.
Old 01-07-2004, 07:04 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Toronto, auto/navi absolutely ZERO problems so far. Best car I have ever ownedd.
Old 01-07-2004, 08:18 PM
Intermediate

London...Navi/5AT...3000km no issues and totally squeak and rattle free...just what I expected. Ride quality and handling have exceeded my expectations. I cant wait to get some good performance rubber on in the spring.
Old 01-07-2004, 08:31 PM
Instructor

I am in full agreement on starting a Canadian Sticky on issues for us Canucks. In fact I suggested that a while back on another Canadian thread. Can a moderator please make this a sticky?
I'm in Toronto with a Satin Silver TL /Ebony/NAVI ordered opening day OCT 15 rec'd by dealer delivery Nov 21. WHen the tires are cold, I get vibration at 90 km/h (due to flat spotting I guess). Memory seat issue is there. Other than that, the TL is the first car that I can't get enough of.
Old 01-07-2004, 08:34 PM
Instructor

Sounds like a good idea to me too although I've had no problems at all and sofar have 9200km
Old 01-07-2004, 08:35 PM
Intermediate

i hope the moderator can set it up

vancouver anthecite dynamic. no nav working on it though, not so much for the nav part becaue i never needed over here. For travelling it would be great, but don't see myself going too far with the TL. did all my road trips with the previous 2 cars i had
I want the integrated voice commands for the HVAC and Stereo. The bluetooth phone action with the restaurants through navi is cool too.

Just got the car new year's eve. Haven't had much time to drive everywhere due to the snow and stuff. Still breaking it in. Haven't had any problems so far
Old 01-07-2004, 08:45 PM
Drifting

I've got a NBP 5AT w/nav here in Edmonton. I'm all for the new subsection as well, but are there even enough of us to make it worth it?
Old 01-07-2004, 08:52 PM
Instructor

We'll get there - I'm seeing a few on the roads in Toronto and Hamilton
Old 01-08-2004, 07:12 AM
Intermediate

I'm in Kitchener, ON
Black Dynamic with lip spoiler
Very pleased with car and good value
2000km - had it since mid-Dec
Old 01-08-2004, 09:51 AM
2nd Gear

In Toronto - Black Dynamic, no Navi - just picked her up yesterday afternoon. Put her in the underground parking at work and snuck back down about an hour later to tool her around in the underground. Attendants either thought I was lost or drunk. The car is a gem - my only issue is with myself - grew up driving stick but have driven auto for the last half dozen years. Shaking off the rust when it comes to rowing the gears.

In the 22 hours I've had her, no problems.

All for a Canuck thread.
Old 01-08-2004, 09:57 AM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Toronto Dynamic/Black/Ebony.

- It's forgotten my seat memory once or twice.
- My brakes squeek but that's a quick fix
- I think the only rattles I've had are things in my glove box.

I'm on Dunlop DS1's for the winter and so far they're pretty good.
Old 01-08-2004, 11:17 AM
Instructor

Silver, 5AT non nav with 5,800Km. No vibrations, sunroof lip, glove box , rear deck rattles and seat memory problems - really minor stuff. I took it in for snows (used my old 205/60/16s on a set of 16" RL alloys) and asked the dealer if they had any fixes, they didn't so I told them I'd wait before asking them to fix any of the problems - I'd like them to have some track record before they tackle my car.
I hadn't driven the EL 42s enough to form a performance opinion, but they sure show lots of wear for 2,300Km use and strangely, the outside of the rears show the most.
Has anyone else noticed abnormally high wear on the EL 42s?
Compared to my 99TL the 04 adds significant refinement and content, plus a nice sporty edge in both appearance and road dynamics.
Old 01-08-2004, 11:35 AM
10th Gear

Calgary, AB - Haven't quite ordered yet, but am very close to doing so. Good to here from other Canucks!
Old 01-08-2004, 12:50 PM
Intermediate

got to love those nice Brembos peaking behind the rims

whats your easy fix for the squeak? More Kms?
Old 01-08-2004, 02:34 PM
Intermediate

I'm 23 and live in P.G., B.C. I've had my Blue/Camel/Navi for just over 2 months now and put 5500 Km on her. It's an amazing car and it doesn't seem to mind the -40 weather we had this week. I have the vibratioin problem and seat memory loss issues, but other than that i'm happy. Enjoy the ride boys.
Old 01-08-2004, 02:39 PM
Advanced

Northern Alberta here.

6-Dynamic SSM/Ebony

Bought the machine in November then left for 6 weeks of vacation. Back home now and enjoying all that she has to offer. no problems at all.

Charles
Old 01-08-2004, 07:14 PM
5th Gear

Toronto, Black/5AT/Navi

Memory seat problem
Rattle from glovebox when it is really cold (like now)

Everything else great.
Old 01-08-2004, 10:05 PM
10th Gear

Originally posted by bluenoser
Silver, 5AT non nav with 5,800Km. No vibrations, sunroof lip, glove box , rear deck rattles and seat memory problems - really minor stuff. I took it in for snows (used my old 205/60/16s on a set of 16" RL alloys) and asked the dealer if they had any fixes, they didn't so I told them I'd wait before asking them to fix any of the problems - I'd like them to have some track record before they tackle my car.
I hadn't driven the EL 42s enough to form a performance opinion, but they sure show lots of wear for 2,300Km use and strangely, the outside of the rears show the most.
Has anyone else noticed abnormally high wear on the EL 42s?
Compared to my 99TL the 04 adds significant refinement and content, plus a nice sporty edge in both appearance and road dynamics.
Mississauga-picking up silver auto next week-can I assume by the post that the winter wheels fit without any problems-have the same size from my current 03tls and wasn't sure wether they would fit?
Old 01-09-2004, 06:14 AM
Instructor

TorTLS,
My snows came off my 99TL and fit fine. I think the 6MT would have a problem clearing the calipers. They are the same overall diameter and work as well as they did on the 99TL, the VSA will obviously make the 04 a more capable winter vehicle over the 99. I only drove the stock tires in one snow fall and really felt the traction was poor, a lot of plowing which I blamed on the width more than the design, anyways all gone with the snows. As a side note, I don't find the snows make any more noise than the EL 42s.
Old 01-09-2004, 11:42 AM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by ludebliss
got to love those nice Brembos peaking behind the rims

whats your easy fix for the squeak? More Kms?
Nah, I'm gunna have the dealer fix them when I ahve time to go, maybe my first oil change? there's stuff that you can buy with new brakes, silicone type stuff that you put on the back of pads so they don't squeek. I'll tell them to use some of that.
Old 01-09-2004, 05:19 PM
10th Gear

Thanks apprecite the response.
Old 01-10-2004, 02:28 AM
2nd Gear

Yeah. I like the idea of having a regional section.

I'm from Calgary, My wife has an 02 TL anthracite...I drive an old Buick...Go Figure!

Car-man,
I'm also looking to purchase, probably in February. I've settled on Blue with Camel / Navi. Which dealer are you looking at. We bought the wife's car at Silverhill. Seemed to be the best deal as we tried Northwest Acura first.
Old 01-10-2004, 08:28 AM
Pro

I have a really early build number for Cdn TL's. Under 200. I have had the following isues, I'm sure they will be resolved but just have not gone to the dealership to get them looked at. Very low level rattle from the sun visors (reproducible by tapping them), noisy glove compartment, memory setting for the driver's seat intermittent loss, unlevel subwoofer and occasional rattle from the parcel tray, clicking from the brake pedal and I believe that's it. I'm not concerned as I realize that I have an early build TL and I think that all of these issues are minor and will be easy for the dealership to resolve. I absolutely love my car and would still recommend it to anyone you asked.
Old 01-10-2004, 11:11 AM
Intermediate

XM in Canada for TL

I have purchased a TL with navigation, and as far as i know they are all pre-wired for XM (am i right), but it is not availabe in Canada, so i was wondering if anyone knew if it was possible to get one set up in the us, all it is missing is the atenna right? Is the stereo system the sme in US and Canada, and do you think this is possible? Any info?

Thank To All!
Old 01-10-2004, 04:11 PM
Intermediate

i'm not sure about the navi version as i didn't look at the stereo long enough, but i do know that the non navi doesn't have the XM button i'm waiting for my manual to see if the infrastructure is there, but not having the button worries me. Maybe navi people can confirm that CDN navis still have a button or don't need a hard button as the screen/software will bring it up.

i'm really hoping they didn't make 2 different head units for navi and non navi, as well as CDN vs USDM

This may affect my navi retrofit plan
Old 01-10-2004, 04:24 PM
Instructor

Glad to hear the snows fit. I wasn't worried but there is always old Murphy out there with his laws. I have had two TLs. Starting with my 99 TL I used a set of Blizzak 225-55 R16s. They would rub if I hit a dip in the road especially with someone in the back seat. I then moved up to a 2002 Type S using the same wheels. No rubbing at all. Acura had changed the rear spring/shock enough that it didn't rub. I still have the Blizzaks on 16" rims and my only concern this time is whether Acura kept the same bolt pattern for the wheels. It sounds like they have and everything should work fine, even better than in the past. I don't put all that many kms on the car so the tires last for a while.
Old 01-10-2004, 04:41 PM
Drifting

Re: XM in Canada for TL

Originally posted by lovetl
I have purchased a TL with navigation, and as far as i know they are all pre-wired for XM (am i right), but it is not availabe in Canada, so i was wondering if anyone knew if it was possible to get one set up in the us, all it is missing is the atenna right? Is the stereo system the sme in US and Canada, and do you think this is possible? Any info?

Thank To All!

So you want a TL w/o XM radio, in the states? Does the antenna bother you that much? As far as the headunit goes, I think my buttons say AM - FM - CD/DVD - TAPE. So do the US spec cars have XM instead of TAPE? Or is there a 5th button? Either way, our stereos seem to be very similar, so I don't see why you couldn't get rid of the XM if you didn't want it.
Old 01-10-2004, 04:50 PM
Intermediate

Re: Re: XM in Canada for TL

Originally posted by gordon_gekko
So you want a TL w/o XM radio, in the states? Does the antenna bother you that much? As far as the headunit goes, I think my buttons say AM - FM - CD/DVD - TAPE. So do the US spec cars have XM instead of TAPE? Or is there a 5th button? Either way, our stereos seem to be very similar, so I don't see why you couldn't get rid of the XM if you didn't want it.
no i live in canada and i want to get xm from the us and i wanted to know if that was possible?
Old 01-10-2004, 04:56 PM
Drifting

Re: Re: Re: XM in Canada for TL

Originally posted by lovetl
no i live in canada and i want to get xm from the us and i wanted to know if that was possible?

Ahhhhhh....i see. Your location says US. Anyways, I think the answer is no. The CRTC won't allow XM radio in Canada. I'm not sure if we even get coverage up here? Your best bet is to email the XM people, or your dealership even. But, I think you're SOL on this one. Lemme do a little more research though, because I'd be interested in picking up XM as well. Even if it does 'stretch' the law a little bit:diablotin
Old 01-10-2004, 05:32 PM
Drifting

Received 117 Likes on 99 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: XM in Canada for TL

Originally posted by gordon_gekko
Ahhhhhh....i see. Your location says US. Anyways, I think the answer is no. The CRTC won't allow XM radio in Canada. I'm not sure if we even get coverage up here? Your best bet is to email the XM people, or your dealership even. But, I think you're SOL on this one. Lemme do a little more research though, because I'd be interested in picking up XM as well. Even if it does 'stretch' the law a little bit:diablotin
I would suggest that there would be coverage here because its satellite, however it may be that they are not allowed in Canada due to CRTC regulations.
Old 01-10-2004, 09:56 PM
Intermediate

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: XM in Canada for TL

Originally posted by BLEXV6
I would suggest that there would be coverage here because its satellite, however it may be that they are not allowed in Canada due to CRTC regulations.
yes there is coverage in canada and it is not allowed but i am willing to take my chances, i was wondering if i took it to acura in the usa if i could get them to set it up???
Old 01-10-2004, 11:35 PM
Instructor

Here is an interesting link showing the XM footprint etc
http://www.pirateden.com/den/xmradio.php
Old 01-11-2004, 02:41 PM
Intermediate

anyone else have any ideas?
Old 01-11-2004, 07:39 PM
Instructor

You can get more information on xm at Http://www.xmfan.com. I learned there that you can get xm in Canada and you can subscribe if you can use a US address. There are several folks on that site from Canada who claim reception is good except sometimes when near tall buildings in downtown Toronto or Montreal. I wish Acura would have installed but disabled it in case we could use it down the road.
Old 01-17-2004, 06:23 PM
10th Gear

In Edmonton, and I have ordered my 5AT/TL for March 1st (on vacation through February). Abyss Blue...wish they had the Anthracite or the Redondo Red in the 5AT, rather than just the 6MT. No Navi...don't need it for daily commutes, although the screen looks great.
Old 01-17-2004, 11:00 PM
TL-SHAWD 6MT Rocks!

If anybody is interested in changing their radio for one that has an XM button, there is one for sale on ebay...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2454134212
Old 01-18-2004, 09:09 AM
7th Gear

Originally posted by bluenoser
TorTLS,
My snows came off my 99TL and fit fine. I think the 6MT would have a problem clearing the calipers. They are the same overall diameter and work as well as they did on the 99TL, the VSA will obviously make the 04 a more capable winter vehicle over the 99. I only drove the stock tires in one snow fall and really felt the traction was poor, a lot of plowing which I blamed on the width more than the design, anyways all gone with the snows. As a side note, I don't find the snows make any more noise than the EL 42s.
Your correct about the caliper clearance on 6MT. Both width and height of caliper require a wide 17" rim. My local tire dealer spent a few days calling all his steel wheels connections and was unable to locate 16" or 17" to fit. We tried three width's. Bottom line seems to be that 17" steel wheels for this car do not exist yet. I bought Blizzak's and mounted on rims for this season. They work really well and look better than the summer tires actually as they lower profile!

BTW, great idea for the CDN posts!
Ajax, ON
6MT, Anthracite/Ebony
6500Km since Mid Nov '03
All is working well and love this car. I have been monitoring the memory seat issue and seem to have no problem (). Interior is very squeeky when it's cold out but seems to minimize when the car gets warm. Turn up the stereo!

Old 01-18-2004, 12:29 PM
Instructor

FYI:

I wrote XMRadio: " I have recently purchased an Acura TL but live in Canada so XM radio is not one of the features. I am interested to know whether XM radio is available in Canada and, if not, why not? Do you have plans to make it available?
> Thanks

Dear ..,

XM is only licensed to provide service to the US (All states except
Alaska and Hawaii), its territories and adjacent waters. Outside of these areas XM is very careful to not exceed the signal strength defined by international regulations. At some locations outside the defined service area, however, even if XM is within the transmission limits, the signal level is still strong enough for you to receive service. In general, it is not easy to answer coverage questions for locations outside of the US since XM has not designed the system to work and has not tested outside the US.

Thanking you,
Sincerely,
Old 01-18-2004, 04:26 PM
Racer

Using SS in snow

Has anyone noticed that after you tap forward at a full stop and start in 2 for traction, you will always start in 2 until you tap down? Pretty good feature actually.....or is it a defect?! Ha! Anyway its a good one either way.

Quick Reply: Canadian TLers