Canadian TLers

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2004, 05:24 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sometimes there is a fine line between feature and defect.
Old 01-19-2004, 08:21 PM
Racer

On Another Note

Is that damn stero good or what?! Just got Tom Cochran's DVD A Trapeze collection of greatest hits. Now that's Canadian!! Listen to White Hot - one of the best mixes in DVD A I've heard. No wonder it takes me so long to get milk!
Old 01-20-2004, 06:40 PM
Instructor

Picking up my car on Friday. At last. Been waiting since end September. Partially my doing. At the end of October about a week before I was to receive my Silver/non navi, I changed the order to a navi. I think it will be worth the wait.
Old 01-20-2004, 07:10 PM
Drifting

Received 117 Likes on 99 Posts
Re: On Another Note

Originally posted by Peters
Is that damn stero good or what?! Just got Tom Cochran's DVD A Trapeze collection of greatest hits. Now that's Canadian!! Listen to White Hot - one of the best mixes in DVD A I've heard. No wonder it takes me so long to get milk!
I knew you were an old man and confirmed it by checking out your DOB in your profile. I love White Hot and was quite young, say about 17 when that came out and it has real good sound, even on regular stereo systems.
Old 01-20-2004, 07:16 PM
Drifting

Originally posted by OldGuy
Picking up my car on Friday. At last. Been waiting since end September. Partially my doing. At the end of October about a week before I was to receive my Silver/non navi, I changed the order to a navi. I think it will be worth the wait.
Congrats. Whats with the Integra project. My sister had a 1992 and never maintained it, but it kept on running. Good car. With that good reliability, she buys a freakin Jetta 1.8T. Well when she bought the Integra, she really wanted the VW Cabrio. I talked her out of it.
Old 01-20-2004, 08:45 PM
Instructor

Just to let everyone know, this thread is supposed to be for Canadians with 04 TLs to report their problems and solutions. Feel free to start threads about other subjects, you probably will get more feedback. Thank you.
Old 01-20-2004, 08:53 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well Not really a problem but Monday night I wiped down my seats with McGuire's. It did a good job I think but I left the dome light on.

This morning the battery was drained enough that the car wouldn't start and I had to call Roadside assisstance for a boost.

Damn, I've NEVER done anything like that. Well once I left the headlights on in my Dad's oldsmobile while in College. Six hours later it started without a problem.

Roadside assisstance came in under 30 mins and the lady on the phone was friendly and helpfull.
Old 01-20-2004, 09:02 PM
Racer

Re: Re: On Another Note

Originally posted by BLEXV6
I knew you were an old man
Old eh? Well I look young!

I have a 5AT with Navi with vibration problems coming from the tires/wheels. Both flat-spotting and oscillation at speeds over 80km/h. I have snows on now and it seems to be fine. Any Canadians with the flat-spotting problem?
Old 01-21-2004, 11:12 AM
10th Gear

Soon to be Toronto 04 Dynamic owner???
I am less than 2 months from the end of my lease on a 2001 Saab 9-5 Aero 5 spd, I have thoroughly enjoyed my Saab, actually my forth, but I find the price getting hard to grasp.
I test drove a 04 Dynamic 6 spd at Acura 2000 in Brampton and I must admit I have taken a huge liking to this car, I drove it for about 45 minutes on all types of road surfaces, very impressive...
My question is related to lease prices and deals, can anyone in the Greater Toronto area give me an indication of the current lease deals I can expect to get, any advise/help would be great.
I also like the 18" Rim option and maybe the lip spoiler.
Cheers, Manumad
Old 01-21-2004, 01:58 PM
3rd Gear

New Canadian 04 TL Owner

Hi fellow Canadian (and American) TL owners.

I'm pleased to say that I can expect delivery of my Silver 5AT 04 TL w/NAVI on Friday.

I've been here on (acura-tl.com) lurking for months and as my username indicates I was undecided for a while as to what vehicle to purchase. I think I made the right choice.

I placed my order back at the beginning of Nov and have waited close to 3 months so needless to say I’m excited and anxious to finally pick up the TL.

The vibration/tire issue has me a bit worried as I drive upwards of 50,000km a year and having a vibration issue wouldn't make for an enjoyable ride.

Side Note for Oldguy:
I believe my car will be on the same delivery as yours as we had the same build date (Jan 8) and we now have the same delivery date (Friday). I'm in Southwestern Ontario and I believe you’re in Kingston. Our TL's will likely be on the same delivery truck

Cheers
Old 01-21-2004, 06:33 PM
10th Gear

Originally posted by Manumad
Soon to be Toronto 04 Dynamic owner???
I am less than 2 months from the end of my lease on a 2001 Saab 9-5 Aero 5 spd, I have thoroughly enjoyed my Saab, actually my forth, but I find the price getting hard to grasp.
I test drove a 04 Dynamic 6 spd at Acura 2000 in Brampton and I must admit I have taken a huge liking to this car, I drove it for about 45 minutes on all types of road surfaces, very impressive...
My question is related to lease prices and deals, can anyone in the Greater Toronto area give me an indication of the current lease deals I can expect to get, any advise/help would be great.
I also like the 18" Rim option and maybe the lip spoiler.
Cheers, Manumad
I picked up my 04 TL silver w/nav last thursday-the car has been amazing to date-a couple of points to note-I leased the car and put the 18" wheel and rim kit on-My deal went something like this-posted rate 7.5 got 7.26(all you loyal Acura owners apply the squeeze) residual of 22,880-if your leasing this is what matters-it has dropped already by $440.00 last time I checked stop looking when I sealed the deal-and best of all paid $20.00 bucks a month to upgrade the wheels-that means the wheel package which is about $2000.00 for the rims and about $300.00 per tire(both conservative) ran me a total of about $800.00 over the 48 months-I have snows from my 03TLS that fit on this car-told them I do not the wheels or rims the car comes with and wanted the upgrade-they told me no problem-worked it out and the difference to trade up-rims and wheells as $800.00-new wheels are Michelin Pilot-240/18/40-stored right now-winters on and no vibration, no flatspotting-oh yah and the insurance from the 03TLS to this 04 droppped by $12.00 a month-so I guess the rims are costing me $8.00-
Word of caution some dealers will tell they will not do the rim exchange-tell them you know it can be done and will find a dealer who will do it-
Without a doubt the best car I have owned-I should say the best Acura-as I have only owned Acura and
Honda-9 in 12 years-driven many others and for the $$$ you cannot do better-just my opinion.
Old 01-21-2004, 07:35 PM
Drifting

Originally posted by TorTLS
I picked up my 04 TL silver w/nav last thursday-the car has been amazing to date-a couple of points to note-I leased the car and put the 18" wheel and rim kit on-My deal went something like this-posted rate 7.5 got 7.26(all you loyal Acura owners apply the squeeze) residual of 22,880-if your leasing this is what matters-it has dropped already by $440.00 last time I checked stop looking when I sealed the deal-and best of all paid $20.00 bucks a month to upgrade the wheels-that means the wheel package which is about $2000.00 for the rims and about $300.00 per tire(both conservative) ran me a total of about $800.00 over the 48 months-I have snows from my 03TLS that fit on this car-told them I do not the wheels or rims the car comes with and wanted the upgrade-they told me no problem-worked it out and the difference to trade up-rims and wheells as $800.00-new wheels are Michelin Pilot-240/18/40-stored right now-winters on and no vibration, no flatspotting-oh yah and the insurance from the 03TLS to this 04 droppped by $12.00 a month-so I guess the rims are costing me $8.00-
Word of caution some dealers will tell they will not do the rim exchange-tell them you know it can be done and will find a dealer who will do it-
Without a doubt the best car I have owned-I should say the best Acura-as I have only owned Acura and
Honda-9 in 12 years-driven many others and for the $$$ you cannot do better-just my opinion.
Where did you get the car, how much are your monthly payments and did you put any money down???
Old 01-21-2004, 08:16 PM
Intermediate

Montreal, Pearl white dynamic pack. Love the car. Its KICK ASS!EY!
Old 01-23-2004, 08:17 PM
Instructor

Picked up my silver/ebony/navi today. Dealer is in Toronto. I live in Kingston so I had a 150 mile drive to savour the new car. Its so great I slowed down to make the trip last longer. I had to stop at a service center because I was playing so much I thought I might have an accident. What a car. I can't believe it. I have none of the problems reported on this site. No tire or vibration issues. No rattles and is it very cold today. Can't vouch for the capability of the EL42s in snow because the roads are bare right now. I am putting my blizzaks on tomorrow.
Old 01-24-2004, 10:55 AM
DML
2nd Gear

Thumbs up

I am all for some Canadian content without excluding our friends to the South. It is all good news!
Old 01-30-2004, 10:55 PM
Team Nighthawk Water Boy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The dealer wanted me to pay full price for the 04 Navi....
Old 01-31-2004, 03:49 PM
Instructor

The navis are still scarce and very much in demand. Dealers can only get 30% of the total order as navis. I waited three months to get mine because besides being a navi, it was silver, the most popular colour.
Old 01-31-2004, 04:43 PM
9.5+10.5 22m=Hella Flush

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Just got my new black on black TL w/the OEM bodykit from Vancouver Canada and hoping to lower the car soon and adding some 18's or 19's. I think the car needs to be lower at least 2.25inches front and 2inches in the rear. What does everyone thinks about that.
Old 01-31-2004, 05:17 PM
Drifting

Originally posted by ed99
Just got my new black on black TL w/the OEM bodykit from Vancouver Canada and hoping to lower the car soon and adding some 18's or 19's. I think the car needs to be lower at least 2.25inches front and 2inches in the rear. What does everyone thinks about that.

Nice. I got a black on black(w/bodykit) too. I'm looking to lower mine and get some 19s too. I'd like a 2+" drop on mine too, but I also need it to be a practical city driver. I don't think I could even park on my driveway with a 2" drop. Therefore, I was thinking of the Eibach pro kit, which I believe is a 1" drop? But if you think it's possible to go lower I'd like like to hear.
Old 01-31-2004, 08:11 PM
Team Nighthawk Water Boy

Originally posted by ed99
how much did the kit cost?
Old 02-12-2004, 09:51 AM
Instructor

Well, looks like my account was nuked in the roll-back so I will say hello to my fellow Canadians again.

Onto my second week with my TL and loving every minute of it.

I know there was at least one other poster here from the Richmond Hill, ON area. Where do you take your car to be washed in the winter months? I desperately need mine washed .
Old 02-13-2004, 12:03 PM
Racer

Originally posted by William_B
Well, looks like my account was nuked in the roll-back so I will say hello to my fellow Canadians again.

Onto my second week with my TL and loving every minute of it.

I know there was at least one other poster here from the Richmond Hill, ON area. Where do you take your car to be washed in the winter months? I desperately need mine washed .
I live in Willowdale but I get my car washed in Markham where my parents live.

There's a Sunoco at on Markham Rd just south of 14th. It's touchless and there's no tracks to drive in or around. you just drive into the bay, it washes the car and you drive out.

There's long lineups there sometimes though, I've had to wait at least an hour on a couple of occasions.

But it's the only place I take my car.

It does a good job too!
Old 02-13-2004, 01:20 PM
Instructor

Canadians (GTA) with Vibration Problems?
Has any Canadian solved their vibration problem? Especially in the GTA? I have talked to two dealers in GTA who plead ignorance and say they have not heard of this problem. I was hoping that someone has gone through and solved the problem so I don't have to go through their routine of balance/alignment, etc, just for them to realize it is the tires. My car is getting close to the first service and I want to solve all the issues at this time, and don't really have time to keep bringing the car back and forth.
Old 02-13-2004, 01:23 PM
Racer

Originally posted by 00TLOwner
Canadians (GTA) with Vibration Problems?
Has any Canadian solved their vibration problem? Especially in the GTA? I have talked to two dealers in GTA who plead ignorance and say they have not heard of this problem. I was hoping that someone has gone through and solved the problem so I don't have to go through their routine of balance/alignment, etc, just for them to realize it is the tires. My car is getting close to the first service and I want to solve all the issues at this time, and don't really have time to keep bringing the car back and forth.
Only problem I've had was squeeky brembo's and once the car forgot who I was.
Old 02-13-2004, 03:16 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by SlntSam
I live in Willowdale but I get my car washed in Markham where my parents live.

There's a Sunoco at on Markham Rd just south of 14th. It's touchless and there's no tracks to drive in or around. you just drive into the bay, it washes the car and you drive out.

There's long lineups there sometimes though, I've had to wait at least an hour on a couple of occasions.

But it's the only place I take my car.

It does a good job too!
Good to know, I work in Markham so that is not too far from me .
Old 02-16-2004, 01:48 PM
Instructor

Got a flat tire yesterday on the QEW, roadside assist was there in about 30 minutes. Called Acura this morning for a new tire - there arent any around the TO area until Friday!!!

I called an Acura dealer in the States to see whether they had any. The parts guy wanted to know whether my 2004 TL was the ordinary 2004 model or the S model. Oh well.
Old 02-18-2004, 06:56 PM
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts
There is a post in one of the other threads that indicates Acura will be replacing the Bridgstone tires. Does anyone know if this will apply in Canada?
Old 02-18-2004, 09:35 PM
Intermediate

"There is a post in one of the other threads that indicates Acura will be replacing the Bridgstone tires. Does anyone know if this will apply in Canada?"

My dealer in hamilton is not admitting to any problems....sent copy of the thread to my contact at Corporate Honda.
Will post the response.
Old 02-21-2004, 10:40 AM
10th Gear

I was at the Canadian International Auto Show yesterday and took the opportunity to speak to a rep from Acura Canada about the EL-42 tires on the TL. He assured me that a fix was in the works that would be applied to all 04 TL owners. He couldn't give me a time for the fix, but implied that Bridgestone was making new replacement tires for the TL as the wrong compound had been used in the EL-42s. He also indicated that TL owners who had replaced the tires at their own expense before the fix would be compensated.

I consider this to be excellent news.
Old 02-21-2004, 02:49 PM
Pro

That would be good news if it is in fact true. It does however, contradict what the US owners have been told. They have been told that only owners who have complained about the vibration were going to get a replacement tire. I'm hoping that they offer the new tires to everyone.
Old 02-22-2004, 07:49 AM
10th Gear

Canadian Warranty

Why does Acura USA give a 4year Bumper to Bumper warranty vs, Acura Canada a 3 year Bumper to Bumper

USA 50,000 miles vs Canada 60,000 Kms

50,000 miles equals appox. 80,000 Kms

The cars sold in Canada and the one sold in the USA are all made on the same assembley line , Right??

why the difference??

Some must know why?
Is Acura not the Luxury Division of Honda?

All these other Luxury Makes give a 4yr / 80,000 Km in Canada

Lexus
Audi
BMW
Cadillac
Infiniti
Lincoln
M-Benz
Volvo
Jag
Saab
Crap even VW

Maybe Acura is not in the same class in Canada

:smackhead :wow:
Old 02-22-2004, 07:07 PM
Drifting

Re: Canadian Warranty

Originally posted by poolfool
Why does Acura USA give a 4year Bumper to Bumper warranty vs, Acura Canada a 3 year Bumper to Bumper

USA 50,000 miles vs Canada 60,000 Kms

50,000 miles equals appox. 80,000 Kms

The cars sold in Canada and the one sold in the USA are all made on the same assembley line , Right??

why the difference??

Some must know why?
Is Acura not the Luxury Division of Honda?

All these other Luxury Makes give a 4yr / 80,000 Km in Canada

Lexus
Audi
BMW
Cadillac
Infiniti
Lincoln
M-Benz
Volvo
Jag
Saab
Crap even VW

Maybe Acura is not in the same class in Canada

:smackhead :wow:
Good question, and I have never been able to figure this out. Perhaps its the fact that the cars here are actually cheaper to buy, than in the USA taking into account the dollar difference and this is a cost cutting measure.
Old 02-22-2004, 08:37 PM
Intermediate

"Canadian Warranty"
I raised that question long time ago ( Nov 2003 ) and the response I got from Corporate contact was that Canada is getting 5yrs/100,000Km on power...engine and tranny to offset the 3Yrs/60,000 km total warranty.
US is getting 4yrs/80,000Km but did not get any reasons why?
Typical Acura response..same issue with the different colors US vs Canada.
Old 02-23-2004, 01:32 PM
Racer

Canadian Warranty

Webster, I got the same response when I asked about the warranty. I pointed out that most cars sold in Canada come with a 5 year powertrain warranty. The salesman indicated that Acura's powertrain warranty was more comprehensive than the typical warranty. I got the impression that he had been pressed on this issue previously.

I am taking delivery of my TL on the 19th of March on a 4 year lease. I got the dealer to throw in the Acura extended warranty for one year to match the lease. However, the extended warranty has a few major wholes. The big ones that I quickly identified were the radio and the Navi. I sure hope my problems, if any, with either system occur in the first 36 months.

The lack of a 4 year warranty was one of the negatives when I was comparing the G35 Coupe to the TL. However, I couldn't get comfortable sitting in the Coupe so I went for the TL.
Old 02-23-2004, 06:42 PM
Burning Brakes

Re: Canadian Warranty

Originally posted by smoore

However, the extended warranty has a few major wholes. The big ones that I quickly identified were the radio and the Navi. I sure hope my problems, if any, with either system occur in the first 36 months.
I have the 6 year extended warranty and it specifically says in the warranty manual that all components in the sound system and navigation system are covered. Who told you they weren't?
Old 02-23-2004, 06:53 PM
Burning Brakes

Re: Re: Canadian Warranty

Originally posted by Jss1
I have the 6 year extended warranty and it specifically says in the warranty manual that all components in the sound system and navigation system are covered. Who told you they weren't?
I stand partially corrected. I read the details of the actual 6 year warranty and looks like you are right about the radio not included in the extended warranty. However it looks like the navi system is included as it doesn't seem to be on the exclusion list. The book shows the 5 year warranty as an example but I guess they are all different.
Old 02-23-2004, 07:14 PM
Racer

Re Canadian Extended Warranty

Jss1. Now I am really confused. I haven't picked up the car yet so I am working from the brochure "Acura Extended Security Plan Plus". It indicates that DVD and LCD displays are excluded. It then indicates that all genuine Acura electrical accessories [excluding audio systems, DVD/TV and phone] are covered. I have no idea if the Navi is covered or not. Hopefully, the warranty book you have is clearer.

Frankly, I am a little disappointed that an extended factory warranty doesn't just extend the original manufacturer's warranty by one year. At least I am getting a road hazard warranty on the tires. I ran over debris at 7000 km in my Avalon and had to pay for the new tire myself.

I think 4 year leases are pretty popular and manufacturers who provide 4 year coverage have a significant advantage over Acura for people interested in 4 year leases.
Old 02-23-2004, 09:00 PM
Burning Brakes

Re: Re Canadian Extended Warranty

Originally posted by smoore

Frankly, I am a little disappointed that an extended factory warranty doesn't just extend the original manufacturer's warranty by one year. At least I am getting a road hazard warranty on the tires. I ran over debris at 7000 km in my Avalon and had to pay for the new tire myself.

I think 4 year leases are pretty popular and manufacturers who provide 4 year coverage have a significant advantage over Acura for people interested in 4 year leases.
I was told by the salesman that everything including the electronics was covered with the extended warranty and just extended the three years to six. I specifically asked about the navi system. I don't know if he was just telling a story or didn't know. This sort of electronic stuff usually works pretty well long term and I am not too worried. I agree it should be set out more clearly. I think the dvd/tv refers to an option on the MDX with the rear screens but who knows.
Old 02-23-2004, 09:03 PM
Intermediate

"I was at the Canadian International Auto Show yesterday and took the opportunity to speak to a rep from Acura Canada about the EL-42 tires on the TL. He assured me that a fix was in the works that would be applied to all 04 TL owners. He couldn't give me a time for the fix, but implied that Bridgestone was making new replacement tires for the TL as the wrong compound had been used in the EL-42s. He also indicated that TL owners who had replaced the tires at their own expense before the fix would be compensated.

I consider this to be excellent news."

PMF13....was the rep from Acura Corporate or one of the Acura dealers ?
It appears there so much conflicting info from so many sources and it appears that Acura Corporate is really doing nothing official.

The response I got from Corporate contact was so stupid that I will not bother to repeat...the only thing I can say they are doing nothing official.

This attitude from Acura definitely delayed my purchase...waiting for the arrival of the new S40 before I decide.
Old 02-24-2004, 08:44 AM
Instructor

Hood Edge Protector

Has anyone had one of these fitted to the new TL? I do a lot of highway driving and am wondering whether it really works.

Also are there any problems like whistling noises?

Quick Reply: Canadian TLers