Cameras & Photography Because there aren't already enough ways to share photos...

Post your favourite photos (that YOU have taken)

Old 06-17-2005, 10:46 AM
Go B's Go

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
so when are we gonna have the first annual photo competition...and whats the theme
Old 06-17-2005, 10:47 AM
likes it raw

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by BstonBruin
so when are we gonna have the first annual photo competition...and whats the theme
The theme is NWS images
Old 06-17-2005, 10:49 AM
Go B's Go

Originally Posted by JimmyCarter
The theme is NWS images
and others wouldnt be too happy haha jk
Old 06-17-2005, 10:49 AM
The Bearwok

Originally Posted by eclipse23
I use this camera and 5 months later i'm still learning it.
Great camera but yeah i have a fairly thick instructional book that is dedicated to the 20D.

As far as the contest goes here is my idea:

First Ever AcuraZine Photography Contest:

Subject: Doorways and Building Entrances (keep it simple to begin)

Rules:
1 Contest starts today (6/17) and goes for one week (until friday June 24th)
2 Entries will be e-mailed to me in full-size or 800x600 format, if they are full sized i will re-size them for you.
3 In the interest of fairness i will be keeping all the entries in my e-mail until next friday when they will be simultaneously posted for voting, i will create a poll thread with the picture titles you send me and the voting will take place over the weekend.
4 The winner will be decided by the results of the poll as of sunday midnight.
5 Prize is the pride of winning and a cool certificate of achievement to be made by someone other than me.
6 Photos can include people, pets, cars, and whatever you want just keep to the theme!

Happy Shooting!

Whaddya guys think, should i make a thread?
Old 06-17-2005, 10:51 AM
Go B's Go

Originally Posted by charlesgage
Great camera but yeah i have a fairly thick instructional book that is dedicated to the 20D.

Rules:
2 Entries will be e-mailed to me in full-size or 800x600 format, if they are full sized i will re-size them for you.
3 In the interest of fairness i will be keeping all the entries in my e-mail until next friday when they will be simultaneously posted for voting, i will create a poll thread with the picture titles you send me and the voting will take place over the weekend.
5 Prize is the pride of winning and a cool certificate of achievement to be made by someone other than me.
6 Photos can include people, pets, cars, and whatever you want just keep to the theme!

Happy Shooting!

sounds good to me
Photography Nerd

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Nice shots NiteQwill, but I don't think this thread was supposed to be "Post every pic you've taken"
likes it raw

Rules:

Happy Shooting!

Sounds good.
Post a new thread. Also, maybe limit the number of submissions per person. Just so I don't go out and take 50 pictures and fuck up your email
Old 06-17-2005, 10:53 AM
Photography Nerd

Rules:

Happy Shooting!

Sounds good, but scrap the email part and add something about only submitting one photo. People should host their own shots.
Old 06-17-2005, 10:53 AM
The Bearwok

OK, a few other riders, 1 submission per person, and the pictures will be posted at Noon EST friday so we all have time to both get them in on time and look and vote if we are going to be gone over the weekend.
Old 06-17-2005, 10:54 AM
The Bearwok

Originally Posted by Dan Martin
Sounds good, but scrap the email part and add something about only submitting one photo. People should host their own shots.
Well i can put them all on my imagevent for free and i have 20GB of e-mail storage, i just don't want some people to post their pictures early and have more time to have them voted on, make sense?
Old 06-17-2005, 10:55 AM
likes it raw

Well i can put them all on my imagevent for free and i have 20GB of e-mail storage, i just don't want some people to post their pictures early and have more time to have them voted on, make sense?
Don't post the poll until after the deadline hits
Old 06-17-2005, 10:57 AM
Photography Nerd

Originally Posted by JimmyCarter
Don't post the poll until after the deadline hits

They should post their pics on the last day of the contest and voting will be enabled after the time has expired.
Old 06-17-2005, 10:59 AM
Adventurist.

Received 58 Likes on 22 Posts
Nice shots NiteQwill, but I don't think this thread was supposed to be "Post every pic you've taken"
Old 06-17-2005, 10:59 AM
Big Block go VROOOM!

I'm for allowing more than one entry as long as the submission time is limited to something like two weeks.

You must sumbit a title with your image(s) just to make it easier to create the poll later on.

Image sizes should be no greater than 800 pixels on the longest dimension. The other dimension can be cropped to whatever you want.

I think the themes should be more abstract to allow a greater variety of results. For example shorten the first suggestion to just "entrances."

Normal image processing such as sharpening/brightness/contrast/color adjustments and enhancements are expected. "Chopping" such as adding, removing, or reshaping objects is discouraged.

You must be the person that took the photo (idea being we want to encourage new work for the assignments).
Old 06-17-2005, 11:03 AM
The Bearwok

They should post their pics on the last day of the contest and voting will be enabled after the time has expired.
Final Edit?

Rules:
1 Contest starts today (6/17) and goes for one week (until Thursday June 23rd)
2 One Entry Per Person, 800x600 size (no exceptions)
3 Friday will be post day, the poll will be setup at 3pm EST, so have your entries posted by then
5 Prize is the pride of winning and maybe a cool certificate of achievement to be made by someone other than me.

Happy Shooting!

Better now?
Old 06-17-2005, 11:06 AM
Still trolling

Old 06-17-2005, 11:06 AM
The Bearwok

Sounds like billiam want's to take the reigns, and more power to him, but we should definitely do it! So you have my suggestions, but i think that the shooting time should be weekly, that way there is always interest and you can sit in and out of contests if you want, a week is plenty of time to get out and take a few shots, people will lose interests after 2 weeks
Old 06-17-2005, 11:26 AM
Big Block go VROOOM!

I agree with one week. I was thinking of two weeks to accomodate the schedules of those that wanted to participate but one week is definitely much better from the perspective of AZ. It's not like there's any real $'s or prizes on the line so if you can't make it, tough. I'm also liking one submission per contest. It will make creating the polls a manageable task.

I'll round out the rules and post a new thread. Charlesgage, we'll use your idea for the first theme. Although I'd like to stick with the more abstracted version if you don't mind.
Old 06-17-2005, 11:27 AM
The Bearwok

Originally Posted by Billiam
I agree with one week. I was thinking of two weeks to accomodate the schedules of those that wanted to participate but one week is definitely much better from the perspective of AZ. It's not like there's any real $'s or prizes on the line so if you can't make it, tough. I'm also liking one submission per contest. It will make creating the polls a manageable task.

I'll round out the rules and post a new thread. Charlesgage, we'll use your idea for the first theme. Although I'd like to stick with the more abstracted version if you don't mind.
Sounds cool, you don't need to use my idea though, i just threw it out there as an example. If you do use it that asbtracted is better
Old 06-17-2005, 11:35 AM
Photography Nerd

Final Edit?

Rules:
1 Contest starts today (6/17) and goes for one week (until Thursday June 23rd)
2 One Entry Per Person, 800x600 size (no exceptions)
3 Friday will be post day, the poll will be setup at 3pm EST, so have your entries posted by then
5 Prize is the pride of winning and maybe a cool certificate of achievement to be made by someone other than me.

Happy Shooting!

Better now?
I'd change the subject to just "Entrances" and let the photographers figure out what that means.
I have a couple slight revisions:
Rule 2: Pictures shoud be no bigger than 800px wide or tall. (If I simply downsized my pics straight from the camera they'd be 800x533.)
Rule 5: The winner will be recorded in the official "AcuraZine Photo Contest Hall of Fame" thread. (I'll start a new thread once a champion has been decided and lock it to keep it clean.)
Old 06-17-2005, 11:47 AM
Big Block go VROOOM!

Thanks for the "Hall of Fame" idea Dan. I'll add that to the rules list.

I already had the 800 pixel limit in mind for just the longest dimension.

How long do we want to keep the poll/voting open for? I'm thinking two days should be plenty. I'm thinking that might also make for a nice convenient schedule that would give us one or two contests per month depending on where we're at in the calendar.

1st Friday: contest starts

2nd Friday: submission deadline
Weekend: voting

Four day "breather"

3rd Friday Next contest starts.

Sound like a plan?
Old 06-17-2005, 11:53 AM
Community Architect
robb m.

Received 626 Likes on 277 Posts
makes no sense to have voting only on the weekend.
Old 06-17-2005, 11:54 AM
Community Architect
robb m.

Charles, this was Billiams idea that you have attempted to jack. so yes, lets leave it to Billiam to sort out the details.
Old 06-17-2005, 12:07 PM
sup

okay, i'm done now
Old 06-17-2005, 12:08 PM
At least it's not Jersey

^^^^ Awesome ^^^^
Old 06-17-2005, 12:09 PM
Big Block go VROOOM!

Originally Posted by Astroboy
makes no sense to have voting only on the weekend.
True 'dat, considering most people probably spend > 90% of their time here while at work. I throw out four days in the first set of rules. There's nothing that says we can't change it on the fly.
Old 06-17-2005, 12:18 PM
Suzuka Master

Old 06-17-2005, 12:30 PM
Big Block go VROOOM!

Alright, here's my proposed set of rules. I'll let this sit here for an hour or so. If no one requests any corrections or adjustments, then I'll go ahead and create the thread for the first contest at roughly 1:30pm Central Time.

BTW - I'm going to stick with "entrances" if you want to get a head start.
-----------------------------------

Contest themes should be abstract and limited to one or two words, or a short phrase at the longest.

Any interpretation of the theme that falls within AcuraZine rules is welcome.

You must be the person that took the photo. Previous photos are acceptable as long as you are the one that captured the image.

One submission per contest.

Image submissions will be open for one week from the time the contest is announced.

Images should be no larger than 800 pixels wide or tall. The corresponding dimension can be anything less than or equal to 800 pixels.

A member of the mod staff will create a poll for voting on the images after the submission deadline. The poll will remain open for four days (subject to change).

You must submit a title with your photos. This is just to make creating the poll easier.

Normal image processing such as sharpening/brightness/contrast/color adjustment and enhancement is expected. "Chopping" such as adding, removing, or reshaping objects is discouraged.

You must host your own images.

The contest winner gets to choose the theme for the next contest and the honor of creating the thread for it. They will also be recorded in the official "AcuraZine Photo Contest Hall of Fame" thread.

The contest winner should post these rules in the the thread for the next contest.

Last edited by Billiam; 06-17-2005 at 12:33 PM.
Old 06-17-2005, 12:30 PM
The Bearwok

Originally Posted by Astroboy
Charles, this was Billiams idea that you have attempted to jack. so yes, lets leave it to Billiam to sort out the details.
isn't that exactly what i just said?

I didn't try and jack it i just missed his original post and decided to throw in my

Old 06-17-2005, 12:34 PM
Big Block go VROOOM!

isn't that exactly what i just said?

I didn't try and jack it i just missed his original post and decided to throw in my
I'm with you man, don't worry about it.
Old 06-17-2005, 12:43 PM
The Bearwok

I'm with you man, don't worry about it.
No problems, i just thought astro's comment was unneccecary, all if forgiven / forgotten, let the photos begin!
Old 06-17-2005, 12:54 PM
6 Forward 1 Back

Received 312 Likes on 155 Posts
Any chance the pictures can have their EXIF info posted. I learn a lot from that information when looking at a picture. I'm still learning and it would be great to see the settings on all of these great shots.
Old 06-17-2005, 01:12 PM
Big Block go VROOOM!

Originally Posted by Speed_Racer
Any chance the pictures can have their EXIF info posted. I learn a lot from that information when looking at a picture. I'm still learning and it would be great to see the settings on all of these great shots.
Since we're viewing the images here, I'm almost certain there's no way to do this automatically. There's nothing stopping anyone from manually posting their EXIF info if they wish to do so. I think it would be a good idea.
Old 06-17-2005, 01:24 PM
Community Architect
robb m.

Old 06-17-2005, 01:28 PM
Community Architect
robb m.

Old 06-17-2005, 01:31 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Alright, here's my proposed set of rules. I'll let this sit here for an hour or so. If no one requests any corrections or adjustments, then I'll go ahead and create the thread for the first contest at roughly 1:30pm Central Time.

BTW - I'm going to stick with "entrances" if you want to get a head start.
-----------------------------------

Contest themes should be abstract and limited to one or two words, or a short phrase at the longest.

Any interpretation of the theme that falls within AcuraZine rules is welcome.

You must be the person that took the photo. Previous photos are acceptable as long as you are the one that captured the image.

One submission per contest.

Image submissions will be open for one week from the time the contest is announced.

Images should be no larger than 800 pixels wide or tall. The corresponding dimension can be anything less than or equal to 800 pixels.

A member of the mod staff will create a poll for voting on the images after the submission deadline. The poll will remain open for four days (subject to change).

You must submit a title with your photos. This is just to make creating the poll easier.

Normal image processing such as sharpening/brightness/contrast/color adjustment and enhancement is expected. "Chopping" such as adding, removing, or reshaping objects is discouraged.

You must host your own images.

The contest winner gets to choose the theme for the next contest and the honor of creating the thread for it. They will also be recorded in the official "AcuraZine Photo Contest Hall of Fame" thread.

The contest winner should post these rules in the the thread for the next contest.

You should provide the ORIGINAL image along w/ your modified one if you want this to be a photography contest and not a photoshopograpy contest.
Old 06-17-2005, 01:33 PM
Team Owner

I'd change the subject to just "Entrances" and let the photographers figure out what that means.
I think I could have some fun with this one.
Old 06-17-2005, 01:35 PM
Big Block go VROOOM!

Originally Posted by eclipse23
You should provide the ORIGINAL image along w/ your modified one if you want this to be a photography contest and not a photoshopograpy contest.
I don't think the orignal needs to be submitted along with the final. I'll just add a rule that the original image must be available in case anyone calls
Old 06-17-2005, 01:37 PM
Big Block go VROOOM!

Originally Posted by Always Dirty
I think I could have some fun with this one.
I was wondering how long it was going to be before we saw your comment.
Old 06-17-2005, 01:42 PM
Community Architect
robb m.

i don't use PS at all except to convert the RAW image into something useable. I think it might be a good idea to provide a link to the original image, but i would hope we can trust each other here. Especially since there's not really anything on the line worth cheating for

Quick Reply: Post your favourite photos (that YOU have taken)