What is going on here

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2003, 02:44 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What is going on here

This place is dead, where is everyone? New forum I am unaware of. Whereu all hiding?
Old 10-18-2003, 03:34 PM
Team NBP Stealth Fighter

I think things have died down because most people are still waiting for their TLs. I think we have gotten to the point of knowing almost everything there is to know at this point. Now it's just a matter of more people taking delivery.
Old 10-18-2003, 03:36 PM
More On

I mostly agree with Vtec. Considering where everything is at this point in time, I think the board's doing fine.

But FWIW, I've become less involved since a few days ago because of this:

http://www.acura-tsx.com/forums/show...&threadid=3576
Old 10-18-2003, 04:43 PM
Instructor

Re: What is going on here

Originally posted by moreace
This place is dead, where is everyone?
They're either shopping for DVDs, researching Bluetooth or driving by wire. Whichever it happens to be their computers have been put onto standby.
Old 10-18-2003, 05:04 PM
Pro

what was the thread
y did it go bye bye
y does every forum go after Larch
y can't the red sox catch a break
y am I home on a sat night
y is nothing on
y ask y, try bud dry
Old 10-18-2003, 07:55 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by larchmont
I mostly agree with Vtec. Considering where everything is at this point in time, I think the board's doing fine.

But FWIW, I've become less involved since a few days ago because of this:

http://www.acura-tsx.com/forums/show...&threadid=3576
I say we just talk TL/TSX like we always have .... come on larch ... let's just stick to being TSX owners and participants on the site and be glad for those that pay to keep it here for us.

My 2 cents ...
Old 10-18-2003, 07:55 PM
The Creator

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
larch why are you being such a little baby?

the post was about or google ad... it was nothing bad. but according to google's terms of service we are not allowed to talk about our ads... so i had to remove it or they would close our account.

and of story.

why are you trying to stir up trouble larch? how old are you again? i had thought you were a grown man...
Old 10-18-2003, 08:30 PM
Pro

more importantly, this is my daily entertainment and I am sick of spending hours hitting refresh w/ nothing new coming up. TELL ME ABOUT TL STUFF. I need more info, more opinions, more everything
Old 10-18-2003, 09:55 PM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
moreace-
I bounce between here, the Acura-tl.com forum, and the acura.com website (and real life too sometimes). Could be that preview news is no longer and people just waiting for their cars. Also, it always seemed strange to always log on a TSX site to talk about the TL. I must say that I always enjoy reading most post, yours included.
Old 10-18-2003, 10:14 PM
Pro

Originally posted by legendguy
moreace-
I I must say that I always enjoy reading most post, yours included.

hmmmmm
must say that isa 1st

glad to entertain u
Old 10-19-2003, 02:20 AM
More On

Originally posted by soopa
larch why are you being such a little baby?.....
why are you trying to stir up trouble larch? how old are you again? i had thought you were a grown man...
(And I'm gonna answer Prov too.)

Soopa, it looks like you haven't thought this through very much. That's not a way to try to smooth this over, because you're forcing a discussion of this. I would rather we had resolved it quietly.

When you treat the site and its members in ways that are insensitive, inconsiderate, and discourteous, it has its effects. And Provench, I'm sure that if you felt you were treated in such ways, you wouldn't easily just sail along smoothly either.

In brief: I thought it would be of interest to our members, and maybe also helpful to the site, to have a thread where people talk about whether they've gotten anything through the site's ads. The thread continued for a couple of days, and Soopa himself even participated in it. Then, when I went to post on it, I couldn't find it. I searched and searched. Finally I got the idea that maybe it had been deleted. So, I started another thread (link appears above) where I asked about this, being careful not to say anything about the topic of the original thread because I realized that maybe it was regarded as problematic.

Soopa closed that second thread, and also (not sure but I think this happened) went into my User cp and changed my "Options" to enable PM, so he could send me a private message. He didn't tell me that he had done that. We had a brief interchange via PM. It turned out that he had indeed deleted the thread, without telling me or the board. He said the thread violated google's guidelines. (He didn't explain it further.) His PM's were friendly in tone, but what he was basically saying was "tough s***" -- he didn't think he had done anything wrong, he didn't wish he had done it better or differently, he didn't care that I had been blindsided and inconvenienced, and he didn't think it was important for him to inform the board when he deletes threads, or about guidelines that need to be met or else threads might be deleted.

Stuff like this probably wouldn't matter much to most members, but to me it matters a lot, and I'm sure I'm not the only one who would be so affected. And even if we forget about the human aspect of this thing, and just look at the practical aspects...... It looks like Soopa wasn't going to say anything or explain anything to the board about the deletion of the thread, or about there being a guideline that had to be followed. Why not? Doesn't that just leave it open for us to violate the guideline again? When he deleted the thread he could have just explained up-front that we're not allowed to discuss the ads, as he did now on this thread. (Which, BTW, is the first I hear of it. He didn't explain it when he deleted the thread, nor in any of the PM's thereafter.) And the thing is, explaining it up-front would have taken care of the human element too --because then nobody would have been upset, nobody would have been blindsided or inconvenienced. And the board would have learned something important.

I don't know if it's considered proper for a site owner to go into a member's User cp and change his "Options" without the member's request; but even if it is, shouldn't he at least let the member know?

I'm not trying to stir up trouble. But, I am troubled by what occurred, and of course it affects my degree of interest in the site. And in time, if such an attitude and approach by the administration is continued, it will probably affect the site overall, not particularly because you'll have less participation from one member (which perhaps immodestly I believe is part of what Moreace was noticing) but because other people will be similarly affected . Other things being equal, you'll have a better and more active site when members are treated well.

This site is fine and will be fine. IMHO it would be better, though, if people weren't treated in such a way. It doesn't happen often, which is why it's not fatal. Maybe this instance will trigger some thought and some different attitude -- which is an additional answer to Provench's question: When something untoward occurs and you just let it go, maybe you miss an opportunity to improve things. As it sits right now, things have been made a little worse by how the thread-deletion was handled. It's not necessarily a big deal for the site. That's for the PTB to decide, and I guess the members too. And for the future to tell.

Peace. Let's go on, as best we can. Maybe something has been gained. But I would have preferred it to have occurred more quietly.
Old 10-19-2003, 03:03 AM
Race Director

Damn Larch, what happened, happened..

let it go, this site rules..

I am not defending anyone, but if you have PM off how can he communicate to you, yes he can email you, but PM is faster and better..

You wrote a freaking book LOL LMAO
Old 10-19-2003, 08:20 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Originally posted by VtecMW
I think things have died down because most people are still waiting for their TLs. I think we have gotten to the point of knowing almost everything there is to know at this point. Now it's just a matter of more people taking delivery.
Back to the topic....I've not been on as often because I'M DRIVING THE CAR! And, I must say, having fun. This car is just so fun to drive!
Old 10-19-2003, 10:21 AM
Pro

I just want to chime in, for whatever it's worth, and say that my user cp's change without my knowledge as well. I'm not accusing any moderator of doing it, but I find it weird that I keep going in an unselecting myself from automatic notification when someone replies to my post and also unsubscribing to threads and then a couple days pass and I have 15-30 email reply notifications or subscribed thread notifications.

Truly irritating.

Larch,

I'm sorry this thing has upset you and I do see your point. However, it would suck to see you go over something so trivial. You are a valuable member of this online community IMHO. Much like yourself, I think a little more communication would be great around here. Also, I just want to say I appreciate the Mods and all the work they do. With that said a couple of them (which shall remain unnamed, at least by me) are quick to react, impulsive, curse out board members and generally display behavior that would/could get a person banned with total disregard. Not what one might expect from someone who is here to set an example.

End of rant.
Old 10-19-2003, 10:26 AM
Pro

Larch go put the on the series and relax
chill out and just focus on what is important in life
the best car in the world - the TL
Yankees suck!

BTW
http://money.cnn.com/2003/10/07/pf/a...peal/index.htm
U will be happy to see the TSX on that list
Larch u can repost that link in TSX are if has not been done yet
Old 10-19-2003, 01:28 PM
The Creator

jwaters... since you have a real problem... let me help you first before I respond to larchmonts temper tantrum.

go to your control panel, go to the bottom, change the view to `since the beginning` and unsubsribe to any threads in there. then go to options and change `Use Email Notification` to `No. if you still get notifcations then message me and ill try and figure outs whats up.

contrary to larchmonts baseless slander... we do not change anyones preferences.

personally... I would love it if NOBODY ever got email notifcations. they completely kill server resources and I think their just a PITA. but thats just MO

now for larch...
Old 10-19-2003, 01:35 PM
Pro

soopa, get rid of e-mail notificationfor the good of the server
most true members check all unread posts anyways
and it u contribute regularly u suffer from 8 million e-mails
whole feature is not needed

As for Larch, weren't u the cause for the start of teh deterioration of the last site

Just start contibuting again and let it go, this site is too good for u to mess around w/ admins.
Although they should make a new TL page too
get on the ball, take a walk, cool down, and get back in the game
we need u son
Old 10-19-2003, 01:42 PM
The Creator

I have no interest in appeasing you. You are not in a position to question my decisions. Period.

you WOULD NOT `rather we had resolved it quietly` as you did not respond to my last 2 messages. instead you came into this topic and decided to take a `poke` at me and the administration of this site. very immature behavior from a seemingly grown man.

if you feel you have been treated poorly before I truly apologize for your feelings. but i completely disagree that this is the case.

you have been treated very well... and in this case... you have been treated better then you should be despite your comments to me in private and your continuance in being an instigator by your posts in this `thread`

we reserve the right to remove any thread that might adversely effect the greater good of the board. including posts that violate a signed contract we have with an advertiser.

you post violated Google's Terms of Service. PERIOD.

I am not interested in debating how a forum should be run. I am administrator of several successful web communities... and 99.9% of my members are very happy with how I get things done. Including everyone here.

Furthermore... you do not want to submit this subject to the court of public opinion because I will gladly temporarily `undelete` that thread for review and post our private messages. The public will, just as most of my moderator team has, agree with my decision and agree that your actions and comments are completely uncalled for and out of line. If you feel differently... then you should reply to my last 2 messages rather then stirring up trouble in a public forum that is anything but interested in your child like kicking and screaming.

regarding your PM's... when I, an admin, sends you a PM... your account is set to accept it. this is the way it is... and always will be. if i need to contact someone regarding my site i am not going to hunt outside of my site to find them. i am going to contact you via my site.

if you can be on this site 24 hours a day there is absolutely no reason for you to be inconvenienced by reading a PM from me. its no different then reading the 100 posts a day you participate in.

With all that said. I am sorry that the rest of you had to witness this completely childish behavior by larch.

Larchmont your posts in this thread have done absolutely nothing to promote positive discussion in these forums.

Because of that and your comments in this thread I am going to close it.

If anyone would like to discuss this further or reply to my comments I will be more than happy to accept a PM from you... or you may email me at adam@acura-tsx.com or instant message me via AIM at SoopaCLS.

moreace: if you want to continue the original point of your topic... feel free to start a new thread. larchmont... stay out of it next time unless your contribution is `on topic`
Old 10-19-2003, 01:44 PM
The Creator

Originally posted by moreace
soopa, get rid of e-mail notificationfor the good of the server
most true members check all unread posts anyways
and it u contribute regularly u suffer from 8 million e-mails
whole feature is not needed
hehe yea right. i WISH. haha

didnt you see how many complained last time our mail server went down and people werent gettign updates?

it would be mutany. haha

i dont know how people can stand it. personally i would go crazy if my mailbox filled up with notifications about the 1000s of posts a day here. heh