Volkswagen: Tiguan News

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 09:05 AM
Team Owner

Received 582 Likes on 346 Posts
damn, this thing looks pretty slick. But is the 2.0T motor enough power for it? and if not, well since it's the 2.0T it can be chipped and upgraded

the interior looks alright, not the best looking, but I do have to agree that it does look better than the most of the interiors on japanese cars. some of the interiors on the japanese cars, like the civic, are a little too busy. This one is simple and too the point.
Old 11-19-2007, 09:08 AM
has Gloryhole Girls in

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No thanks
Old 11-19-2007, 09:12 AM
What Would Don Draper Do?

i like the exterior a lot. i'll have to see the interior in person.
Old 11-19-2007, 10:43 AM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Exterior is very nice.
Interior is a little bland.
Old 11-19-2007, 10:47 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 638 Likes on 276 Posts
for 22k i think it looks hot!

I'd rock it.
Old 06-24-2008, 03:58 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Resurrection....recall time.

Recall Alert: Volkswagen Tiguan, Passat

Posted: Jun. 12, 2008 11:06 a.m.

Edmunds Inside Line reports, "Volkswagen is recalling approximately 4,000 of its 2008 Passats and Passat Wagons, along with the 2009 Tiguan. The automaker will fix engine control module software that can trigger an unexpected increase in engine rpm, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration." Since the recall is a serious safety concern, dealers have been instructed to stop selling the vehicles until the problem has been corrected.

Autoblog adds, "Owners of potentially affected vehicles are being told not to operate the air conditioning until a VW dealer has serviced the ECM, which is less than terrific news considering it's June and temperatures are around 90 degrees in many parts of the country." The problem with the vehicles, however, "is an engine control module that may not control engine idle when the air conditioning is turned on. In rare cases, the ECM can trigger an unexpected jump in engine RPM, which could obviously lead to an accident."

Owners are encouraged to contact Volkswagen at (800) 893-5298 or the NHTSA vehicle safety hotline at (888) 327-4236.

http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com...Tiguan-Passat/
Old 06-24-2008, 04:05 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Hidden Turbo-Boost!!!!!
Old 06-25-2008, 12:31 AM
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i thought about considering this, but i guess not now. dang vw reliablity sucks! my girlfriend though loves audi, dang how is the reliability of audis?
Old 06-25-2008, 08:25 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Mokos23
i thought about considering this, but i guess not now. dang vw reliablity sucks! my girlfriend though loves audi, dang how is the reliability of audis?
I love Audis too, but I can't bring myself to buy one.
Old 06-25-2008, 09:21 AM
Race Director

yeah i knew reliability wasn't good, but hmm, buy an audi and it's a chick magnet.

j/k
Old 06-25-2008, 09:40 AM
Racer

I saw one of these mini Tiggys on the road yesterday- i was hoping for a mini Touareg , but it looks more like a gawky tall Golf- - too bad

Anyway, I wish VW would figure out this QA shite- I love that upcoming Passat CC , but it would drive me mental having to worry about it breaking all the time
Old 06-25-2008, 09:42 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 269 Likes on 229 Posts
reliability isn't the best on VW or on Audis. But like any other car, give it attention it will serve you. if you really wanna know more go to vwvortex.com, that place is hardcore VW, AUDI and all the Volkswagen owned companies enthusiasts. U can get plenty of info on anything about these cars.
Old 06-25-2008, 09:45 AM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,568 Likes on 985 Posts
Originally Posted by myron
reliability isn't the best on VW or on Audis. But like any other car, give it attention it will serve you. if you really wanna know more go to vwvortex.com, that place is hardcore VW, AUDI and all the Volkswagen owned companies enthusiasts. U can get plenty of info on anything about these cars.
We still don't know if JD Power changed their metrics but Audi's Initial Quality over the last two years has been the best it's ever been.

I know that's only 90-day quality but you gotta start somewhere.
Old 06-25-2008, 10:01 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Steelers Wheels
I saw one of these mini Tiggys on the road yesterday- i was hoping for a mini Touareg , but it looks more like a gawky tall Golf- - too bad

Anyway, I wish VW would figure out this QA shite- I love that upcoming Passat CC , but it would drive me mental having to worry about it breaking all the time
I, too, love the CC. If VW/Audi long-term quality were better, I'd be choosing between a CC and an A3 in a couple years.

Love the A5 as well, but that sucker is way out of my price range.
Old 06-25-2008, 12:45 PM
Registered Type-S Owner

exterior looks decent, but interior...... gotta go!!!
Old 06-25-2008, 01:08 PM
I'm a llama :(

Where's the VR6?
Old 02-04-2011, 12:09 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Mid-Cycle Refresh Revealed....gets the new VW corporate front end.

Old 02-04-2011, 03:19 PM
Mazda3 and Honda Civic in

I freakin love ours!! Just a tad small for an SUV
Old 02-04-2011, 05:02 PM
Pinky all stinky

Received 189 Likes on 117 Posts
best looking compact SUV on the market
Old 02-04-2011, 07:43 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 165 Likes on 127 Posts
Originally Posted by gdubb
I freakin love ours!! Just a tad small for an SUV
What is the cargo space like with the back seats folded down? Could you fit an avg bike in the back (with the front wheel off)?
Old 02-08-2011, 04:02 PM
Mazda3 and Honda Civic in

Originally Posted by West6MT
What is the cargo space like with the back seats folded down? Could you fit an avg bike in the back (with the front wheel off)?
With the seat down I would think so. I have not been able to but both of them down due to the car seat.
Old 02-08-2011, 07:25 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 165 Likes on 127 Posts
Originally Posted by gdubb
With the seat down I would think so. I have not been able to but both of them down due to the car seat.
Cool, thanks.
Old 11-29-2017, 09:26 AM

Received 5,298 Likes on 3,632 Posts
2018 R-Line

https://www.netcarshow.com/volkswage...ne_us-version/

Volkswagen of America, Inc. announced that it will offer the R-LineŽ package on the 2018 Volkswagen Tiguan. The new trim package augments the all-new SUV's sportiness with interior and exterior design elements that give it an even more dynamic appearance. The Volkswagen Tiguan R-Line package was introduced at the 2017 Los Angeles Auto Show.

The R-Line package enhances the robust list of equipment in the Tiguan SEL and SEL Premium trims with performance-inspired treatments. The sporty exterior styling details include 19-inch "Trenton" aluminum-alloy wheels for SEL trims and 20-inch "Braselton" aluminum-alloy wheels on SEL Premium trims. Also included are R-Line badging; unique front and rear bumpers that incorporate stylish air intakes at the front and a diffusor in glossy black paint at the rear; and body color wheelarch extensions and side skirts.

Inside, the Volkswagen Tiguan R-Line models welcome drivers with the R-Line logo on the start screen of Volkswagen's Modular Infotainment Platform (MIB II). Other interior features include an R-Line steering wheel badge; black headliner; stainless-steel sport pedal covers; and stainless-steel door sills with the R-Line logo.

Like the standard Tiguan model, the R-Line will feature Volkswagen's 2.0-liter TSIŽ turbocharged engine and eight-speed automatic transmission. Volkswagen's advanced 4MotionŽ all-wheel-drive system is available as an option. The R-Line package on SEL trims has a MSRP of $1,795, and includes front and rear Park Distance Control (ParkPilot). The package MSRP for SEL Premium models (which already include ParkPilot) is $1,495.

The Volkswagen Tiguan went on sale in the US in summer of 2017 and the R-Line package is expected to go on sale in the first quarter of 2018.
Old 11-29-2017, 09:26 AM

Old 12-05-2017, 02:57 PM
Azine Jabroni

Received 2,158 Likes on 1,386 Posts
How very Acura of them.

Tiguan A-Spec
Old 06-13-2018, 09:16 AM

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/auto/2...tiguan/review/

THE GOOD: The 2018 Tiguan is more spacious and comfortable than its predecessor. Available infotainment and driver aid tech are among the best in class.

THE BAD: It's one of the smallest three-row SUVs available -- there's only room for small children back there. Power, payload and towing capability are down for the new generation.

THE BOTTOM LINE: An odd balance of "bigger is better" and "less is more," the 2018 Volkswagen Tiguan has nevertheless matured significantly for its second-gen model.

Volkswagen's little Tiguan has grown up quite a bit for its second generation. The new Tiguan has gone from a compact and cute choice for young SUV shoppers to being a solid, spacious selection for small families raising the next generation of young drivers. Packing more amenities and more safety tech, the Tiguan is better than ever before in many ways, but it's not perfect.

In growing larger, the Tiguan is also a bit softer. Its performance isn't as sharp as it used to be. Are the comfort improvements worth these performance tradeoffs?

Now with three rows

The new 2018 Tiguan is about 11 inches longer than its predecessor, and both wider and taller, too. This opens up a lot of extra elbow room for all passengers and makes way for a newly available third row, giving compact SUV buyers seating for seven.

Front-wheel drive models come standard with three rows. Tiguans with 4Motion all-wheel drive start with just two rows, but can be upgraded to seven-passenger capability through a $500 third-row seating package. That way-back row is probably too tight for most adults -- I certainly didn't enjoy cramming back there to test it out -- but small kids should fit just fine.

With both the second and third rows folded flat, the Tiguan boasts a spacious 65.7 cubic feet of cargo space, and an optional kick-to-open power liftgate comes in handy when your hands are full. If you value cargo room more than people room, opting for a model without the third row bumps your total cargo capacity up to 73.5 cubic feet, a full 30 percent more than the old Tiguan.

Slightly underpowered performance

The 2018 Tiguan uses a new version of VW's 2.0-liter TSI turbocharged four-cylinder engine, producing 184 horsepower and 221 pound-feet of torque. That's 16 fewer horsepower than the outgoing model, though an extra 14 pound-feet than before. This engine has a flatter overall torque curve than VW's older 2.0-liter powerplant, which helps with responsiveness, especially mid-range. But the larger Tiguan also has to lug around 373 more pounds of curb weight than the outgoing model, so despite having more torque than before, it's basically a wash.

The new 2.0T provides adequate power for around-town driving and highway cruising, but this new Tiggy can feel a bit underpowered when climbing steep hills or passing on the interstate. And that's just with one overweight journalist in the driver's seat, I imagine it'll feel more sluggish loaded up with six or seven souls onboard.

An eight-speed automatic gearbox is the only transmission available. It features a Sport setting and a manual shift option, but no paddles on the steering wheel. The transmission tuning certainly emphasizes economy over responsiveness, but the shifts are smooth. Given the Tiguan's primary mission of urban comfort duty, the transmission feels perfectly matched to the turbo engine.

Unfortunately, the decrease in power results in lower towing capacity and payload ratings. The 2018 Tiguan is only rated to tow 1,500 pounds, a 700-pound drop, and overall payload capacity is reduced by 225 pounds, to 970.

If there is a silver lining to the power and capability cuts, it's that the Tiguan is a hair more fuel efficient. My front-wheel drive example is good for an EPA-estimated 22 mpg city, 27 mpg highway and 24 mpg combined. That's a 1-2-mpg gain across the board. I averaged around 25.7 mpg during my testing. 4Motion all-wheel drive models take a slight fuel economy hit, dropping back down to 21 city and 23 combined mpg.

The powerplant is a bit softer and so is the chassis. There's more body movement when cornering, less feedback through the wheel and an overall dulling of responsiveness when initiating a turn. The brakes feel a bit squishy and vague, but did a respectable job hauling the heavier Tiguan to a stop in an emergency. However, the ride is smoother, quieter and much more comfortable, all positives for those looking for a family-friendly errand machine. The suspension is better at soaking up jolts from potholes and those annoying steel road plates. This more comfortable, compliant ride isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it does make this new Tiggy feel less playful.

Excellent dashboard tech

The Tiguan's cabin tech and infotainment amenities see a significant improvement for this generation.

VW's latest Car-Net App-Connect tech is standard across the lineup, with either a 6.5-inch touchscreen for S models or a larger 8-inch display for SE or higher trim levels. Android Auto, Apple CarPlay and MirrorLink are standard technologies, but even without them the onboard software is super easy to use. My top SEL trim levels also add navigation to the tech party.

At the tippy-top SEL Premium trim level, the Tiguan is also gains VW's Digital Cockpit, a 12.3-inch screen that serves as the instrument cluster, displaying traditional driving information -- including speedometer and tachometer gauges -- as well as more advanced functions such as a live navigation map. I especially like this feature because it allows me to control most of the infotainment without looking away from the road or taking my hands off of the steering wheel. If you're a techie looking at a Tiguan, consider Digital Cockpit the car's killer app.

The cherry on top of this great tech package is the sweet-sounding Fender audio system. The 9-speaker, 480-watt rig has a slightly "Beats Audio" bass-heavy character by default, but produces clear and distortion-free audio even at family-unfriendly volumes and sounds good with a variety of music and content types.

Keeping the family safe

The newer platform of this second-gen Tiguan enables a level of driver aid tech that the previous Tiguan could only dream of.

Blind-spot monitoring, rear cross-traffic alerts and pre-collision auto-brake assist with pedestrian detection help prevent fender benders. These features are standard at the SE trim level or better, or part of an $850 Driver Assistance package for the base S model. Post-collision braking keeps a bad day from getting worse by helping to prevent additional collisions after an impact and is standard across the board.

Stepping up to an SEL model grants owners adaptive cruise control that works all the way down to stop and go traffic, while SEL Premium models gain lane keeping steering assist tech, active assistance for the blind-spot and rear cross-traffic systems and automatic high beam headlamps. In parking lots, the top model also showcases a cool multi-camera Area View system that gives 360-degree visibility around the SUV.

How I'd spec it

The bigger, more cuddly 2018 Volkswagen Tiguan starts at $24,595 for the base S trim with front-wheel drive. However, the Tiguan's best balance of value and features comes at the upper SEL ($31,090) trim level. This model rolls in all of the driver aid features that a young family could ask for, the best version of VW's dashboard tech and makes standard a massive panoramic sunroof that makes spacious cabin feel even more open.

The SEL Premium ($36,250) trim tested here adds the Digital Cockpit tech -- which I absolutely loved using for its ability to simplify all of the dashboard tech down to basic steering wheel controls -- nicer leather trim and LED headlamps. If you've got the extra dough to spend, the SEL Premium is nice, but I think the SEL is the sweet spot.

Next, there's the choice of front-wheel drive or all-wheel drive ($1,300). I'd go front drive unless you live an an area that gets much snow or rain. Add $900 for destination charges to reach a recommended $31,990 for the SEL FWD. (For comparison, my SEL Premium FWD tester stickers for $37,150.)

Crossover competition

The new Tiguan sits in an interesting place between classes. On one hand, it's bigger and more spacious than most of its traditional competition -- Honda's CR-V, the redesigned Toyota RAV4, Mazda's CX-5 and the like -- and boasts tech that's among the best in this class. Plus, it's one of the only vehicles in its segment with three rows.

But on the other hand, if three-row capability is a must-have, the Tiguan might not be your best bet. Pricing overlaps with more spacious vehicles like Mazda's CX-9, Toyota's Highlander and VW's own Atlas.

The Tiguan may be a tough sell for families who really need seating for seven. But if it's a well-rounded compact SUV you seek, the Tiguan might just be the ticket.
Old 07-20-2018, 08:48 AM

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/2...di-127224.html

As you might have heard already, Volkswagen is among the manufacturers worst hit by the new WLTP emissions regulations in Europe. That's because it offers numerous models, from the tiny Up! to the large Touareg SUV, all available with a multitude of engine configurations.

French magazine L'Automobile got hold of a spreadsheet detailing the 2019 engine lineup, and the Tiguan will undergo several changes.

The first is that the current 1.4 TSI will be replaced by the new 1.5 TSI. While this is a logical and expected step, it comes at a price. The base 125 horsepower version of the 1.4 TSI isn't getting a successor for now, meaning you will pay more to get behind the wheel of the Tiguan.

In France at least, the cheapest model will become the 1.5 TSI with 150 HP, which at €30,610 is €450 more expensive than the 150 HP version of the older 1.4 TSI.

Furthermore, the 2.0 TSI with 180 HP is being replaced by a 190 HP version that complies with Euro 6b, and while more power is a good thing, it also bumps the price by €900.

The list only mentions two diesel engines, the 2.0 TSI with 150 or 190 HP. Our source interpreted that as meaning that the 2.0 BiTDI with 240 HP will be suspended. Of course, nobody expects the change to be permanent, since the Skoda Kodiaq RS is going to use the same bi-turbo diesel unit when it comes out.

There's also something they missed, and that's the entry-level diesel. Volkswagen made a 120 HP de-tuned 2.0 TDI which was exclusive to the Tiguan. But we can understand why it wasn't that popular.

Volkswagen simply doesn't have enough time and equipment to test all is powertrains and make necessary changes before September 1st. That's why it's focusing on the best-sellers first. However, variety will still be the key to their European sales pitch, and for the Tiguan, that should eventually mean hybrids/PHEVs.
Old 04-17-2020, 07:24 AM

https://www.carscoops.com/2020/04/20...e-nurburgring/

The facelifted Volkswagen Tiguan family, which is due later this year, will welcome the addition of a hot Tiguan R.

Boasting a model-specific body kit, it will set itself apart from the rest of the lineup with new front and rear bumpers, bigger side skirts and a roof-mounted wing. The diffuser will have cutouts on each side for the quad exhaust pipes, and the performance SUV will also feature oversized wheels and ‘R’ badges as seen on this prototype spied at the Nurburgring recently.

VW took extra safety measures for the test car and fitted it with a roll cage, but it’s obvious that it won’t carry over to the production version.

We don’t know what they did to the rest of the interior to differentiate it from the regular facelifted Tiguans, but we could be looking at new front sports seats, unique upholstery options, different graphics for the infotainment system and ‘R’ logos spread throughout the cabin.

The sporty makeover, complete with a re-tuned suspension and bigger brakes, will be complemented by a meaty engine, understood to be a 2.0-liter turbocharged four-cylinder. Recent voices have claimed that it will develop over 300 HP, channeling the output to the 4Motion all-wheel drive system through a dual-clutch automatic transmission.

The power unit might be shared with the all-new Golf R, where it will probably kick out 328 HP (333 PS). The extra oomph does make sense, since the smaller T-Roc R packs a 296 HP (300 PS) 2.0-liter four-pot and sprints to 100 km/h (62 mph) in 4.8 seconds.

Those looking to go green with the facelifted Tiguan will be able to order the Tiguan GTE plug-in hybrid, which could use the 1.4-liter four-pot and electric motor from the new Golf GTE, where it makes 242 HP (245 PS) and 295 lb-ft (400 Nm) of torque.

Old 04-17-2020, 09:06 AM
Ex-OEM King

Received 5,832 Likes on 3,853 Posts
I don't hate it but sure hope they give it some more power to deal with the hell of a lot of extra weight this thing lugs around. Had a Tiguan loaner last time the Golf went in and the thing is fucking massive for a "compact SUV".
Old 04-17-2020, 10:37 AM

They have grown quite a bit from the 1G Tig.
Salesman used one for a golf cart when I test drove the GTI & Alltrack. Comfy in the parking lot drive we took.
Old 05-11-2021, 09:36 PM
Race Director

Received 624 Likes on 503 Posts
It’s coming up on a year since the Volkswagen Tiguan got its mid-cycle update in Europe, and now the U.S.-spec Tiguan is finally arriving. Just as was previewed, our updated Tiguan is a 2022 model year car.

Predictably, our Tiguan also continues to be the long wheelbase version of the crossover that is known as the Tiguan Allspace in Europe. We get the bigger one, because America likes big things, and the long wheelbase version offers exactly that. The photos released today are the first we’ve seen of this version, allowing us to see the visual updates for the bigger crossover.

All of the changes are virtually identical to what we saw months ago on the Euro-spec Tiguan. It gets revised bumpers in front and back. New LED lighting classes both ends of the car up — the horizontal DRL going from one side to the other in front is especially distinctive. New lettering for the badges and the new VW logo are fitted. And every trim level gets new wheel designs to boot. The overall design of the car remains the same, but it looks a touch sportier and a hair classier and tech-forward in person. We like the changes, even if they don’t dramatically change the Tiguan’s looks.

The inside is updated with a range of new tech. VW did away with the analog gauges in favor of two different Digital Cockpit options. The base screen is an 8-inch display, and the upgrade is a 10-inch screen that offers greater customization. VW updated the infotainment system to its MIB3 software, then added neat features like wireless Apple CarPlay and Android Auto alongside a wireless charging pad.

Touch haptic controls replace physical buttons and knobs for both the climate control system and steering wheel. We got our first taste of VW’s touch haptics in the updated 2021 Arteon, and found them to be some of the best-executed touch controls in the business. They certainly look more futuristic than the tired, old controls of before, and you learn how to use them rather quickly. Another bit of enjoyable tech you’ll like to see is the introduction of 15-color interior ambient lighting.

The third row continues to be available as an option, and it continues to be for front-drive models only. Selecting all-wheel-drive forces you into the five-seat configuration. Both front- and all-wheel-drive versions soldier on with the same 2.0-liter turbocharged four-cylinder and eight-speed automatic transmission. VW says it updated the powertrain this year for better drivability, but it still makes the same 184 horsepower and 221 pound-feet of torque as before. In case you were curious about the possibilities of a Tiguan R coming here from VW’s foreshadowing last year, there’s no good news today either. We’re told that even if VW did bring a Tiguan R to America, it would be for a next-generation Tiguan, not this one.

Safety options are made clearer and are more abundant with the update. So long as you don’t get the base model, the Tiguan comes with VW’s IQ.DRIVE suite of driver assistance equipment that includes automatic emergency braking w/pedestrian detection, blind-spot monitoring, rear cross traffic alert, adaptive cruise control (with stop-and-go functionality), lane-keeping assist and VW’s Emergency Assist. All of the above can be optioned to the base model if you’d like, but VW says it’s not standard equipment to keep the Tiguan’s base price competitive with its rivals. There’s a third level of driver assistance technologies that can be added including auto high beams, an automatic parking assistant and road sign recognition software.

New colors for 2022 include Kings Red Metallic and Oryx White (pictured in the gallery above). There’s also a new interior option called Noisette for the SEL R-Line Leather that is a pleasing brown option.

You should expect to see the updated 2022 Tiguan hit dealerships in the third quarter this year. Pricing isn’t yet available, but expect it to come in near the car’s current base price of $27,740.
2022 VW Tiguan makes U.S. debut with added tech, classier styling | Autoblog
Old 05-11-2021, 09:48 PM
Ex-OEM King

Received 5,832 Likes on 3,853 Posts
It shocks me that VW isn't bringing the Tiggy R or the T-Roc R to the US market. I figured they'd both clean house compared to the Golf R in today's SUV market.
Old 09-10-2021, 09:41 AM

https://www.netcarshow.com/volkswage...an_us-version/

The 2022 Volkswagen Tiguan has arrived with a sharpened exterior as well as a refined interior. The brand's best-selling vehicle comes equipped with new standard and available tech features, while retaining Volkswagen's signature fun-to-drive character, spacious interior and impressive feature set.

Available in four trim levels-S, SE, SE R-Line Black, and SEL R-Line-the 2022 Tiguan benefits from an even further democratization of state-of-the-art in-vehicle technology. All 2022 Tiguan models come equipped with the 8-inch Volkswagen Digital Cockpit instrument cluster, while a 10.25-inch Digital Cockpit Pro is available on the top trim. Other standard features include LED headlights and taillights, KESSYŽ keyless entry with push-button start, Car-Net with Wi-Fi capability, heated front seats, Driving Mode Selection, Front Assist, and Side Assist.

The starting MSRP of the refreshed 2022 Volkswagen Tiguan is $25,995 for the S front-wheel-drive model and $27,495 for the S 4MotionŽ all-wheel drive model. Destination is $1,195 for all Tiguan models.

Exterior

For 2022, the Tiguan's exterior design sees a bold refresh, giving the SUV sharper lines that serve to accentuate its purposeful stance. An entirely new front end brings Tiguan in line with design cues first seen on Atlas and Atlas Cross Sport: the distinctive, low-slung bumper sits under a broad grille featuring Volkswagen's redesigned logo at its center. It is bookended with redesigned LED headlights, now standard on every Tiguan, and an available illuminated grille light line. The distinctive side profile of the Tiguan remains with its strong character line running the length of the vehicle. Roof rails are black on S and SE R-Line Black models and silver on SE and SEL R-Line. Around back, standard LED taillights flank new, upscale lettering for the model name, which now sits centrally below the logo. For 2022, Oryx White and the all-new Kings Red exterior colors join the available color palette.

Both Tiguan R-Line trim levels carry R-Line badging, along with R-Line bumpers and body color-matched side sills.

Newly designed aluminum-alloy wheels are found on all trim levels: S models come standard with 17-inch wheels, while SE models have 18-inch alloys. SE R-Line Black models sport 19-inch black alloy wheels, and SEL R-Line models offer 20-inch wheels. Tiguan S trims come with 215/65 all-season tires, with 235/55 on SE, 235/50 on SE R-Line Black and 255/40 on SEL R-Line.

Interior

Spacious and sophisticated, the new Volkswagen Tiguan interior boasts upgraded comfort and convenience features, as well as a plethora of advanced technology. Getting on your way is easier than ever with standard KESSYŽ keyless access and push-button start, and remote start is standard from the SE trim. Heated front seats are now standard, with a heated steering wheel and ventilated front seats as available options. A leatherette steering wheel is available on base models and standard on SE; SE R-Line Black comes equipped with a perforated leather-wrapped R-Line sport steering wheel, while SEL R-Line models feature a leather-wrapped and heated steering wheel.

Interior colors include Titan Black, Storm Grey, Cinnamon, and Noisette. Tiguan S models come with cloth seats; SE and SE R-Line Black models feature leatherette seating surfaces and SEL R-Line trims have leather seating surfaces. The SE and SE R-Line Black front seats include an 8-way power driver's seat with lumbar adjustment and a 6-way adjustable passenger's seat. SEL R-Line models add 3-position driver-seat memory, and an 8-way power passenger's seat with 2-way lumbar adjustment.

The seating versatility of Volkswagen Tiguan continues to set it apart from its competition. In front-wheel-drive Tiguan offerings, three rows of seating are standard, providing space for up to seven with a 50/50 split third row that folds down for extra cargo space. It has 12 cubic feet of cargo space behind the third row, expanding to 33 cubic feet behind the second row and 65.3 cubic feet when all seats are folded. When configured with 4Motion all-wheel drive, 2022 Tiguan models come standard with two rows, including a 40/20/40 rear bench. There is 37.6 cubic feet of cargo space behind the second row and 73.4 cubic feet with the seats folded.

Dual-zone ClimatronicŽ automatic climate control is standard on Tiguan SE and above, and is upgraded for MY22 with touch-sensitive controls in the center stack. It can also be activated with natural-language voice control, with commands like "Hello Volkswagen. I'm hot" or "my feet are cold." Wireless App-Connect and wireless charging for compatible devices are standard features on SE models and above.

R-Line models feature a standard 15-color LED ambient lighting system. Coordinated with the Driving Mode Selection feature, the system provides soothing indirect white light in the Normal profile, red light in the Sport profile and blue light in the Eco profile. The driver can set any of the colors using Manual or Custom mode.

To let the outside into the VW Tiguan cabin, there is an available panoramic glass tilt-and-slide sunroof. This aerodynamically and acoustically optimized panoramic roof is comprised of an opening glass panel at the front and a fixed glass panel at the rear. It features pinch protection and an electrically operated one-touch sunshade that covers the inside of the entire glass area. The expansive sunroof is available on the SE trim and is standard on top trims.

Powertrain

The 2022 Volkswagen Tiguan is powered by an advanced 2.0-liter version of the EA888 four-cylinder engine. This version of the benchmark EA888 four-cylinder, turbocharged direct-injection engine uses an innovative modification to the conventional four-stroke cycle, offering an outstanding combination of power, efficiency, and responsiveness. It incorporates a modified version of the Miller cycle called the Budack cycle for improved combustion efficiency. The upshot is 184 horsepower that kicks in at 6,000 rpm, and maximum torque of 221 pound-feet is available from just 1,900 rpm. All Tiguan trims are equipped with a standard eight-speed automatic transmission.

A Start/Stop system is standard for all Tiguan trims, and is designed to help improve fuel efficiency. This technology stops the engine during idle when the brake pedal is held (such as when waiting at a red light). When the brake pedal is released, the engine quickly restarts.

Tiguan models configured with front-wheel drive have 15.3-gallon fuel tanks; models with 4Motion all-wheel drive feature 15.9-gallon tanks. EPA-estimated fuel economy for front-wheel drive models is 23 mpg in city driving, 30 mpg on the highway and 26 mpg in combined driving. S and SE models with 4Motion all-wheel drive are rated at 22 mpg in city driving, 29 mpg on the highway and 25 mpg in combined driving; R-Line 4Motion models are rated at 21 city, 28 highway and 24 combined.

Tiguan models have a maximum towing capacity of 1,500 lbs when equipped with a dealer- or port-installed trailer hitch.

Driving Mode Selection

For 2022, all Tiguan models offer the Driving Mode Selection feature as standard equipment. This system includes four modes to choose from: "Normal," "Sport," "Eco," and "Individual." Normal mode gives a balanced drive experience, while Sport is tuned for a more dynamic throttle response, more steering weight and more spirited ACC settings. Eco mode optimizes shift points, throttle response and climate control settings for improved fuel economy compared to other drive modes. Individual allows a driver to tailor the steering and throttle, ACC, and climate control settings.

4Motion All-wheel-drive System

Volkswagen Tiguan can be equipped with the 4Motion with Active Control all-wheel-drive system. The latest generation 4Motion system is designed to activate before wheelspin occurs, helping eliminate traction losses. The system achieves this by using an advanced control function based on specific driving conditions. When operating under a relatively low load or when coasting, the front wheels are driven and the rear wheels are decoupled, helping to save fuel. However, the rear wheels can be engaged automatically in fractions of a second whenever necessary via the center differential, which is activated by an electro-hydraulic oil pump.

A control unit continually calculates the ideal drive torque for the rear wheels and controls how much the multi-plate clutch should be closed by activating the oil pump. The oil pressure increases the contact pressure at the clutch plates in proportion to the torque desired at the rear axle. So, the amount of pressure applied to the clutch plates can be used to continuously vary the amount of torque going between the front and rear wheels, up to a maximum of 50 percent at the rear axle.

In addition to the center differential that acts longitudinally, electronic differential locks that are a function of the Electronic Stability Control (ESC) system act laterally. The system can briefly brake a wheel that is slipping, enabling uninterrupted and stable transfer of drive power to the wheel on the opposite side.

Active Control

All Tiguan models with 4Motion all-wheel drive feature Active Control, which allows the driver to select specific vehicle profiles based on driving conditions. It has four settings: Onroad, Snow, Offroad, and Custom Offroad. Within the "Onroad" setting, additional options are offered: Normal, Sport, Comfort, and Individual. These alter operating parameters for drive systems like the engine, transmission, steering, and Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC), as well as traction-assistance systems like Hill Descent Assist and Hill Start Assist. The singular user interface is highly intuitive, comprising both a rotary knob and a push-button. Turning the knob engages the various drive modes, while pushing the button triggers a pop-up menu on the screen of the infotainment system, allowing the driver to fine tune the Onroad mode.

Onroad mode is the default setting. Here, Tiguan automatically varies the drive distribution between the two axles, accounting for road conditions. A press of the button triggers the driving profile selection screen to pop up on the infotainment screen, offering the driver a choice of "Normal", "Sport", "Eco", and "Individual" drive modes. Within each, the tuning parameters for the engine control, gearbox, steering, and optional ACC are varied.

In Snow mode, the response curve of the accelerator pedal is flattened to help negate unintentional and excessive wheelspin, and the transmission upshifts earlier to help optimize traction. Communicating with the accelerator pedal and individual wheel speed sensors, the Traction Control System (TCS) helps reduce engine power the moment it detects slippage. The sensitivity of the system is more relaxed in straight-line situations to allow adequate power transfer, while the limits are tightened in cornering, where traction is of paramount importance. Last but not least, ACC is switched to the more defensive "Eco" driving profile when in Snow mode.

Offroad mode offers similar throttle and transmission characteristics to Snow mode, adding manual control of transmission shifting via TiptronicŽ (only the throttle kickdown switch will force a downshift). The Start/Stop system is switched off in this mode, and ACC operates normally. The ESC system is relaxed to help avoid false positives often encountered off-road, and Hill Descent Control is automatically activated on gradients of more than 10 percent. It functions up at speeds between 1 mph and 19 mph and is adjustable via brake or throttle.

With unique Offroad ABS programming, the wheels can lock up briefly before the system reduces the brake pressure. This allows time for a small wedge of material from the ground (such as gravel or sand) to build up in front of the wheel, thus helping increase the braking effect. This means that the car remains steerable while its stopping distance is reduced. Custom Offroad mode allows the driver to alter the steering, engine and transmission behavior, as well as Hill Descent Assist and Hill Start Assist.
Old 09-19-2023, 08:02 AM

https://www.netcarshow.com/volkswagen/2024-tiguan/

In a world premiere, Volkswagen presented the all-new Tiguan and with it the third generation of the bestseller. The Tiguan is one of the most successful Volkswagen models in the world today. More than 7.6 million buyers have chosen the compact SUV since its debut in 2007. The new model will reach dealerships as early as the first quarter of 2024.

Kai Grünitz, Brand Board Member for Technical Development: "The latest evolutionary stage of the Modular Transverse Matrix (MQB evo) forms the highly innovative technical basis of the third generation of the Tiguan. Thanks to the large economies of scale of the MQB evo, Volkswagen is once again democratizing numerous high-tech developments such as the DCC Pro or the new hybrid drives with an electric range of around 100 km and making them available to hundreds of thousands of drivers."

The new technological developments realised with the MQB evo improve the Volkswagen Tiguan in practically every area. New hybrid drives with an all-electric range of around 100 km make this SUV more efficient than ever before. In addition, AC charging will be faster in all eHybrid versions, and fast DC charging will also be possible as standard for the first time. A cleanly designed Digital Cockpit based on the MIB4, the fourth-generation modular infotainment matrix, offers the highest level of information and brings digital services and apps on board. The operating concept is designed to be consistently self-explanatory. In addition, new systems such as a pneumatic massage function for the front seats or the IQ.LIGHT HD matrix headlights - used for the first time in the Tiguan - are derived from the premium Touareg model. The new adaptive chassis control DCC Pro optimises comfort and dynamics. The latest Park Assist generation automates driving in and out of parking spaces.

Expressive design & improved aerodynamics

The compact SUV comes with a completely new design. As a particularly striking feature, the front of the vehicle has a powerful look with very flat LED headlights and glass-covered horizontal strip. The radiator grille openings are now located at the outer sides of the bumper, where air curtains ensure optimum air routing. The cleanly designed front end highlights the fact that the drag coefficient has improved from 0.33 to 0.28. This silhouette is characterised by athletic shoulders over the wheel housings (with up to 20-inch wheels). A new horizontal LED strip adds emphasis to the unmistakeable Tiguan rear end.

New cockpit and infotainment system generation

The interior of the VW Tiguan features a completely new concept and design. It stands out with its high standards of material and workmanship. In addition, the new cockpit landscape is intuitive to use, closely integrated, and has a clean and smart design. The modules include the new Digital Cockpit (digital instruments with anti-reflective coating in tablet landscape format), an infotainment screen that measures up to 38 centimetres (15 inches) and has an entirely new menu structure and graphics, a new head-up display (projections on to the windscreen) and a new multifunction driving experience switch with integrated OLED display. This new rotary control with its own mini screen can be used to control the driving profile, radio volume or also the background lighting colours. In contrast, numerous vehicle and infotainment functions can be easily adjusted using natural language with the new IDA voice assistant.

Efficient range of drives

Thanks to MQB evo, various drive types can be implemented in the Volkswagen Tiguan. For example, there will be turbo diesel engines (TDI), turbo gasoline engines (TSI), mild hybrid turbo gasoline engines (eTSI) and plug-in hybrid systems (eHybrid), which will be offered exclusively in conjunction with the automatic transmission (DSG) in the future. Like on the Volkswagen ID. models and the new Passat, the gear position will be changed in future by means of a steering column switch on the right of the steering wheel with a self-explanatory operating principle. The switch is turned forwards to "D" to drive forwards and backwards to "R" to reverse, while the parking brake is activated by pressing the side of the switch. All Tiguan models additionally have paddles behind the steering wheel.

Electronically controlled running gear for added convenience and dynamics

The MQB evo provides the basis for a new running gear generation. Alongside a host of individual measures, Volkswagen has revamped the adaptive chassis control DCC: with the optional DCC Pro with two-valve shock absorbers. The new model is additionally equipped as standard with a Vehicle Dynamics Manager - an MQB system that made its debut in the current Golf GTI. The system controls the functions of the electronic differential locks (XDS) and the lateral dynamics components of the controlled shock absorbers in the DCC Pro system. Wheel-specific braking interventions and selective changes in the shock absorber hardness lead to greater comfort and enhanced performance during dynamic cornering. This makes the vehicle handling more stable, agile and precise.

Seats for long distances

The new ergoActive Plus seats with pneumatic four-way lumbar adjustment and pneumatic 10-chamber pressure massage function are a perfect match for the high-quality character of the Tiguan. In addition, there is a programming function for automatic activation of the seat heating or seat ventilation at certain outside temperatures.

HD headlights in the Tiguan for the first time

The Volkswagen Tiguan is the first MQB model to be launched with the newly developed IQ.LIGHT HD matrix headlights. The interactive lighting system was also developed in parallel for the premium-class Touareg - both SUVs therefore share the same basic design of the headlights. HD stands for High Definition, meaning a high resolution of the light sources. In the case of the Tiguan, a total of 38,400 multipixel LEDs (19,200 multipixel LEDs per headlight) illuminate the road and the surrounding area to a completely new level and therefore improve comfort and safety.

High-performance assist systems

The Volkswagen Tiguan is equipped with a large number of convenience and assist systems as standard. In addition to Side Assist (lane change system), Front Assist (Autonomous Emergency Braking), Lane Assist (lane keeping system) and Rear View (rear view camera system), these also include Dynamic Road Sign Display. There will also be an extensive range of optional systems. These include among others the following technologies: Park Assist Pro with remote parking capability (for automatic driving into and out of parking spaces controlled by the driver from outside the vehicle using a smartphone app) or also Trailer Assist (for assisted manoeuvring with a trailer).

Larger luggage compartment in the Tiguan

The new Volkswagen Tiguan has increased in length by approximately three centimetres. The height, width and wheelbase remain practically identical to the predecessor. The luggage compartment capacity of the new generation shows just how good the use of space is: although the SUV is only slightly longer, its luggage compartment capacity has increased by 37 litres to 652 litres (when loaded up to the height of the rear seat backrests).