For those buying the first run of TLs.

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2003 | 02:19 PM
OG

For those buying the first run of TLs.

If you plan on buying the first 4-6 TLs that dealers are getting they are pre-production cars and were meant for demos, so check for loose screws and make sure the body panels are set correctly in place. We had to make some minor adjustments and replace some missing screws. Don't say I didn't warn you so.
Old 10-05-2003 | 02:23 PM
T-R
Advanced

Justin, does it mean that this minor issue with sunglasses cover in the front doors will be solved for the final versions? Some people mentioned that it's already falling off or something like that. Or that you can see big gaps somewhere.

I think that's what people are talking about. Go to pic 34 in this album, see the gap near the hinge?

http://www.imagestation.com/album/?i...42&mode=invite
Old 10-05-2003 | 02:30 PM
OG

Originally posted by T-R
Justin, does it mean that this minor issue with sunglasses cover in the front doors will be solved for the final versions? Some people mentioned that it's already falling off or something like that. Or that you can see big gaps somewhere.
I can't say for sure till I see the first full run of TLs, so I will keep you posted.

What we have noticed so far...missing screws for the glove compartment, 2 of the 6 TLS had trunks not centered correctly.
Old 10-05-2003 | 03:12 PM
10th Gear

Originally posted by justinjsw
I can't say for sure till I see the first full run of TLs, so I will keep you posted.

What we have noticed so far...missing screws for the glove compartment, 2 of the 6 TLS had trunks not centered correctly.
At Oakland Acura the salesperson told me they were sending back one of the green ones because the hood's color was off compared to the rest of the body.

How can they in good faith sell those "pre-production" cars without informing the customers of that? There should be some law against that! I know for a fact you cannot sell pre-production computer parts, usually known as "engineering samples."
Old 10-05-2003 | 03:26 PM
Instructor

What production date would be considered past the pre-production build?
Old 10-05-2003 | 03:40 PM
Burning Brakes

this is just the demos right? I wouldn't buy a demo anyway
Old 10-05-2003 | 04:03 PM
10th Gear

Originally posted by RJC RSX
this is just the demos right? I wouldn't buy a demo anyway
The first 6 or so that the dealer gets are all demos from what the above poster said.

Just wait for them to get their normal allocations. The Oakland Acura dealer said that they were going to outfit two of the 6 they got as demos and load them up with all the accessories.
Old 10-05-2003 | 04:37 PM
Suzuka Master

Wow, this is scary. Will this hold true for the first batch of 6MT's?
Old 10-05-2003 | 05:52 PM
Three Wheelin'

Maybe this accounts for the reason kevindick said he felt a difference...The one he and skull test drove may have been preproduction, and the one kevin bought is a production model...

Justin- how man preproduction models were made, im sure that the 4-6 cars that the dealers got all couldnt be preproduction. The dealer I went to had 12...
Old 10-05-2003 | 06:29 PM
OG

Originally posted by ryder1650
Maybe this accounts for the reason kevindick said he felt a difference...The one he and skull test drove may have been preproduction, and the one kevin bought is a production model...

Justin- how man preproduction models were made, im sure that the 4-6 cars that the dealers got all couldnt be preproduction. The dealer I went to had 12...
I don't know how many, probably the first 1,500 or so units. It's nothing major, just double ck the fit and finish and look for loose screws.
Old 10-05-2003 | 07:08 PM
Senior Moderator

(PHEW). My # is nearly 1700, I'm sure my car wasn't meant to be a demo. My dealer got a total of 17 in their first shipment. I hope the ones meant for demo were clearly marked, it would be a shame for a dealer to send someone home in a preproduction demo. Fit and finish was fine on mine. I checked that before I took delivery, as I always do.
Old 10-05-2003 | 08:54 PM
10th Gear

Originally posted by neuronbob
(PHEW). My # is nearly 1700, I'm sure my car wasn't meant to be a demo. My dealer got a total of 17 in their first shipment. I hope the ones meant for demo were clearly marked, it would be a shame for a dealer to send someone home in a preproduction demo. Fit and finish was fine on mine. I checked that before I took delivery, as I always do.
Can you take a picture of this "sunglass" area that people are saying broke off on their test drives? I have no idea what I should be looking for.
Old 10-05-2003 | 11:47 PM
Racer

I just took delivery of my new TL today. How do I know if I have a pre-production unit? Any way to tell by the VIN? My sales rep and I went through every inch of the car pretty good and couldn't find anything wrong. I just hand a minor complaint about the headrests - the vinyl/leather? was a little wrinkled. But most of them were like that, just somewhat more on mine.

Couple of things I want to mention that I got from the manual. You can open all windows and moonroof with the remote, but not close them. However, you can open and close all of them by using the key in the driver's door.

Also noticed that the new TL uses 5W-20 motor oil. Isn't this a little thin? What do '03's use?
Old 10-05-2003 | 11:57 PM
Race Director

Originally posted by BigBluu
Couple of things I want to mention that I got from the manual. You can open all windows and moonroof with the remote, but not close them. However, you can open and close all of them by using the key in the driver's door.
I know, Thats exactly how the Accord is!

I thought maybe they would let you close the windows with remote, but I guess its a safety issue
Old 10-06-2003 | 12:16 AM
Banned

I just took delivery of my new TL today. How do I know if I have a pre-production unit? Any way to tell by the VIN? My sales rep and I went through every inch of the car pretty good and couldn't find anything wrong. I just hand a minor complaint about the headrests - the vinyl/leather? was a little wrinkled. But most of them were like that, just somewhat more on mine.

Also noticed that the new TL uses 5W-20 motor oil. Isn't this a little thin? What do '03's use?
I bielive I saw the TSX had the same requirement for oil, 5W/20 when I popped the hood open.
Old 10-06-2003 | 01:52 AM
Instructor

Originally posted by Lore
Can you take a picture of this "sunglass" area that people are saying broke off on their test drives? I have no idea what I should be looking for.
I wish I'd taken a photo, but didn't.

Here's what to look for:
- open the driver's door
- pull open the expandable storage area
- look at the door side of the storage area (as opposed to the area nearest the driver). the break I saw was where the the sunglass area met the main pocket area, on the outer side, away from the driver.
- the same flaw likely exists on the passenger side.

i don't know if this is the same as what other's reported, but there was a clear break in the plastic at that point. also, i was the second or third person to test that unit, so the break was certainly not as a result of wear and tear.

-ferg
Old 10-06-2003 | 11:32 AM
Racer

Originally posted by 2004TL
I know, Thats exactly how the Accord is!

I thought maybe they would let you close the windows with remote, but I guess its a safety issue
Yeah, you probaby don't want to close the windows remotely and cut someone else's head off at the same time. Or maybe you do? I don't know.
Old 10-06-2003 | 03:55 PM
Banned

Lowest number I saw at the dealer was in the 1010's (first car in and the demo unit), with some already in the 1900 range, mine is in the 1600's so I hope I am ok

Only thing I was thinking is, the test mules, press demos, and Ride and Drive units may have cut into the 1500 qty, so what is the real number.
Old 10-06-2003 | 04:03 PM
Race Director

Originally posted by lamster
Yeah, you probaby don't want to close the windows remotely and cut someone else's head off at the same time. Or maybe you do? I don't know.
Well Say I leave my windows open, and i am coming back and I find some guy sticking his head into the car and trying to steal stuff, than I could Close the window with my remote
Old 10-06-2003 | 04:09 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Re: For those buying the first run of TLs.

If you plan on buying the first 4-6 TLs that dealers are getting they are pre-production cars and were meant for demos, so check for loose screws and make sure the body panels are set correctly in place. We had to make some minor adjustments and replace some missing screws. Don't say I didn't warn you so.

Is it just me or does this make no sense. I'm saying saying I don't belive Justin but WTF would Honda sell preproduction cars?

Crush em and make new ones. Are they that hard up for profits that they have to sell each and every car even though its faulty in some areas. I hope those who buy these cars are seing huge discounts.

Justin, was this the case with the TSX?
Old 10-06-2003 | 04:20 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by Lore
Mine isn't broken, but I'll take a picture of the area tonight and post it. Gotta finish work or I can't make that car note....
Old 10-06-2003 | 04:26 PM
Racer

Originally posted by LED Master
Lowest number I saw at the dealer was in the 1010's (first car in and the demo unit), with some already in the 1900 range, mine is in the 1600's so I hope I am ok

Only thing I was thinking is, the test mules, press demos, and Ride and Drive units may have cut into the 1500 qty, so what is the real number.

Sh#t! My VIN ends in the 000200's.
Old 10-06-2003 | 04:26 PM
Banned

Re: Re: For those buying the first run of TLs.

Originally posted by domn
Is it just me or does this make no sense. I'm saying saying I don't belive Justin but WTF would Honda sell preproduction cars?

Crush em and make new ones. Are they that hard up for profits that they have to sell each and every car even though its faulty in some areas. I hope those who buy these cars are seing huge discounts.

Justin, was this the case with the TSX?
I agre with you Domn, if these were really intended to be the demos, would they not be perfect? That is what you would want your best cars to be, the ones that everyone are driving and getting that first impresion.

Also, demo's get sold at some point, so how could Acura release pre-productions for demos only and not mark them NOT FOR SALE?

Sorry Justin, I belive what you say you have found, but it sounds like to me they made the errors in their rush to get them out. Ever watch that movie "Gung Ho", with Michael Keaton in it, where they needed to pump out X amount of cars per month to keep the Japanese company from closing it? Sound like the same thing where they missed some parts, only they forgot some engines too?
Old 10-06-2003 | 05:59 PM
OG

Maybe by saying the first run of cars are pre-production is too strong of a term. This first 1500 or so cars came off line the same time as the cars we were using for the R/Ds and press releases. All Im saying is it may not have gone thru the same quality controls as they normally would have.

My intentions were just to let you guys know to double ck your cars at the dealer before driving it home.

This cars the dealers have were not even cars that dealers had ordered from the factory...those cars will not get in till mid to late Oct.

So from now on good or bad I will just keep my mouth shut. You guys are all on your own.
Old 10-06-2003 | 06:02 PM
Instructor

Maybe by saying the first run of cars are pre-production is too strong of a term. This first 1500 or so cars came off line the same time as the cars we were using for the R/Ds and press releases. All Im saying is it may not have gone thru the same quailty controls as they normally would have.

My intentions were just to let you guys know to double ck your cars at the dealer before driving it home.

This cars the dealers have were not even cars that dealers had ordered from the factory...those cars will not get in till mid to late Oct.

So from now on good or bad I will just keep my mouth shut. You guys are all on your own.
Right. That is exactly what my dealer said to me. I am glad they did not sell me one from that first batch, they got those for the 'launch party' later this month.
Old 10-06-2003 | 06:58 PM
Race Director

Dont keep your mouth shut

Talk as much as you want

Your the most credible source we have on this whole site :P
Old 10-06-2003 | 07:29 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

I don't understand that statement? Noone here attacked you for giving that information, most of us could'nt understand why Acura would do that.

But thanks for the clarification.
Old 10-06-2003 | 09:22 PM
Suzuka Master

All in all, does everyone here pretty much agree the front door map pockets and the pockets on the back of the front seats are flat out CHEAP!
Old 10-07-2003 | 11:37 AM
OG

Originally posted by domn
I don't understand that statement? Noone here attacked you for giving that information, most of us could'nt understand why Acura would do that.

But thanks for the clarification.
I was being an ASS.
Old 10-07-2003 | 04:14 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by EmuMessenger
All in all, does everyone here pretty much agree the front door map pockets and the pockets on the back of the front seats are flat out CHEAP!
Yeah they are. But the rest of the interior makes up for those chintzy parts.
Old 10-07-2003 | 07:33 PM
Racer

They also skimmed on the sun visor extensions. The '03 had it, but not the new one. I was driving to work this morning with the sun on the driver side of the car, and of course the visor wasn't quite long enough to block it. Seems such a little thing to skim on.

And the wife hates the light on the roof instead of integrated into the visor mirror like most cars.
Old 10-07-2003 | 09:11 PM
Drifting

How do you like that abyss blue/quartz combo? Blue is the color I would buy. What did you think of the camel?
Old 10-08-2003 | 10:45 AM
Racer

Originally posted by Jason
How do you like that abyss blue/quartz combo? Blue is the color I would buy. What did you think of the camel?

I didn't like the clash of wood and aluminum in the light interiors. What would have been really nice is the ebony interior for the blue - but they don't offer that. Otherwise, the quartz looks good.

The Abyss Blue exterior is really dark - and very striking when the sun's out. But after it sets, it looks black. It could have been a shade lighter. IMO the Abyss/Quartz is the best color combo. I like the Silver/Ebony too, but silver is just so common now. Plus, those are Raider colors - don't want that now do we.
Old 10-08-2003 | 01:39 PM
Drifting

I didn't like the clash of wood and aluminum in the light interiors. What would have been really nice is the ebony interior for the blue - but they don't offer that. Otherwise, the quartz looks good.

The Abyss Blue exterior is really dark - and very striking when the sun's out. But after it sets, it looks black. It could have been a shade lighter. IMO the Abyss/Quartz is the best color combo. I like the Silver/Ebony too, but silver is just so common now. Plus, those are Raider colors - don't want that now do we.
I took my TSX in for an oil change today and they had a blue/camel out front. Camel sucks. The blue is nice though. I don't know if I'd want back to back quartz cars, but the light interiors on the TL suck so we'll see. Why can't they come out with a dark tan?