Speeding kills?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2003, 06:08 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Speeding kills?

IIHS: Speeding Increasing Highway Deaths

The 70-mph speed limit adopted by many states, particularly in the West, has led to an increase in the number of traffic fatalities, according to a new study from the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS). The IIHS says its report, based on data from 1996 to 1999 and from 22 states which have adopted 70-mph or higher speed limits, found that 1880 more people died in those states than in those with 65-mph limits. States that have 70-mph speed limits saw a death rate boost of 35 percent over states with 65-mph limits, while those with 75-mph limits had death rates 38 percent higher than the 65-mph states. Drivers in Atlanta were among the nation's most egregious speeders: the study shows that despite a 55-mph urban speed limit, 78 percent of the city's drivers exceeded 70 mph on average on one stretch of interstate.

Source: The Car Connection
Old 11-24-2003, 06:10 PM
Moderator Alumnus

I always believed that speed in itself DOES NOT KILL. Or does not lead to accidents to be more acurate. What kills is the DIFFERENCE in speed between vehicles on the highway (if you can even go fast these days on these PACKED to shit highways of ours).

If I am going 55 and you're doing 85 there are more chances we will be in trouble, as opposed to a case where we are both doing 80 mph.
Old 11-24-2003, 06:25 PM
I'm Cool

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by gavriil
I always believed that speed in itself DOES NOT KILL. Or does not lead to accidents to be more acurate. What kills is the DIFFERENCE in speed between vehicles on the highway (if you can even go fast these days on these PACKED to shit highways of ours).

If I am going 55 and you're doing 85 there are more chances we will be in trouble, as opposed to a case where we are both doing 80 mph.

i agree, so does stupid drivers taht are easily disturb (cellphones, makeup, etc.)
Old 11-24-2003, 06:31 PM
Parting out 02 Type S :(

i almost get hit everyday because of people with cells. its getting annoying because some people are like drunk drivers when they are on the phone. sure they drive slower but that doesnt mean they wont get into trouble.
Old 11-24-2003, 08:24 PM
I Feel Too Old Here

first off, guess who profits from saying that speeding needs to be enfored and lower limits should be adopted to keep people from going dangerously fast.......

Insurance Institute for Highway Safety

These reports are always slanted so they can make more money off of people who get caught speeding. they raise our rates astronomically high thanks to the IIHS.

its all bull shit. i did a research paper on this last year. Insurance agencies buy radar and lazer guns for police stations in an effort to increase the enforcement of the limit. reports like this also lead to the ignorant public thinking exactly what they want and drumming up support for lower limits.

insurance agencies are the most evil thing out there aside from religion, but thats another debate.

also, proper offensive driving should be taught as opposed to defensive driving. but thats just my idea.
Old 11-24-2003, 10:01 PM
Happy CL-S Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It seems all BS!, why in places like in Germany where there is no stated speed limit on the Autobhan, the death rate does not increase. Or are those law makers in Germany drunk?

Nashua.
Old 11-24-2003, 10:34 PM
Safety Car

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally posted by ItalianStallion

insurance agencies are the most evil thing out there aside from religion, but thats another debate.

also, proper offensive driving should be taught as opposed to defensive driving. but thats just my idea.
bahahah funniest shit i heard all day

Old 11-25-2003, 05:16 AM
Outnumbered at home

Just give it a month and car and driver or motor trend will have an article pretty much debunking everything they find. So biased to keep the limits low and the ticket money coming in and insurance rates going up.
Old 11-25-2003, 06:30 AM
Moderator Alumnus

I agree with most comments here. I am glad you guys feel this way. Seriously...
Old 11-30-2003, 05:03 PM
Subie Dubie

Originally posted by ItalianStallion
first off, guess who profits from saying that speeding needs to be enfored and lower limits should be adopted to keep people from going dangerously fast.......

Insurance Institute for Highway Safety

These reports are always slanted so they can make more money off of people who get caught speeding. they raise our rates astronomically high thanks to the IIHS.

its all bull shit. i did a research paper on this last year. Insurance agencies buy radar and lazer guns for police stations in an effort to increase the enforcement of the limit. reports like this also lead to the ignorant public thinking exactly what they want and drumming up support for lower limits.

You nailed it Bro !! These scumbags at IIHS or whatever the Fuck it is will take any data and make it come out their way !! These are the same bozos who work to get radar detectors outlawed and promote heavy use of photo enforcement, as Mr. Stallion says, more tickets mean higher rates
Old 11-30-2003, 06:41 PM
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
They need to raise it over here. 65 is way too slow.
Old 11-30-2003, 08:51 PM
A-CL Post Whore w/N2O

Re: Speeding kills?

Originally posted by gavriil
Drivers in Atlanta were among the nation's most egregious speeders: the study shows that despite a 55-mph urban speed limit, 78 percent of the city's drivers exceeded 70 mph on average on one stretch of interstate.

Source: The Car Connection
They should do a study on lower I-270 in Montgomery County, MD (northern DC suburb). It's 12 lanes (6 lanes north [2 lanes "local" and 4 "express" lanes] and another 6 lanes south [similar breakdown]).

You'll get run off the road is you're doing 65 mph in the SLOW lane. I bet 'ya the average speed on that stretch of highway (during non-rush) approaches 70-75 mph!

I should know, I'm the dude in the fast lane doing 85 mph and honking at your slow ass! :P