Porsche: Taycan News

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2019 | 11:35 AM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Originally Posted by Sarlacc
In the actual EV part of the game, sure. The others will catch up.

Where Tesla isn't ahead is build quality.........

I saw 3 Taycans at the LA auto show and they are just gorgeous cars in and out.
And you believe that Tesla won’t be improving their build quality but simply sitting still...... great.
The future is bright for every automaker if they turn electric but I guess in the next 5 years Tesla will be King of all automakers.
Old 12-13-2019 | 01:11 PM
Azine Jabroni

Originally Posted by Comfy
And you believe that Tesla won’t be improving their build quality but simply sitting still...... great.
The future is bright for every automaker if they turn electric but I guess in the next 5 years Tesla will be King of all automakers.
With what money?
Old 12-13-2019 | 01:43 PM
The Third Ball

But as my friend pointed out...$130k for a car with lines that dont match up. Sure they'll hopefully improve...but its no secret their factories have issues right now.
Old 12-13-2019 | 01:45 PM
The Third Ball

Originally Posted by kurtatx
With what money?
Incentives for the S and X went away this month...now we'll see how sales perform.

Musk always said Tesla was an experiment. He never thought it would make it this far. As long as he is at the helm he'll keep trying to push the envelope but I dont think he cares if Tesla is truly viable long term, he's just out there to show everyone whats possible.
Old 12-13-2019 | 02:00 PM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Incentives for the S and X went away this month...now we'll see how sales perform..
Incentives went away but Tesla raised its prices on Model 3. Defies logic ... right
https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-mode...19-deliveries/

You really think Model S, X buyers care much about the $1800 or so tax credit? Are you serious?
The following users liked this post:
#1 STUNNA (12-13-2019)
Old 12-13-2019 | 02:04 PM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

With what money?
with this money. Your’s and mine.
https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-tsla...ivery-results/
If you haven’t bought a stock in Tesla yet, you’d be in for a rude surprise in 5 years.
Old 12-13-2019 | 02:36 PM
The Third Ball

Incentives went away but Tesla raised its prices on Model 3. Defies logic ... right

You really think Model S, X buyers care much about the $1800 or so tax credit? Are you serious?
It was around $7500 but keep flapping your fingers.
Old 12-13-2019 | 02:46 PM
The Third Ball

And there are still incentives on the model 3 as they are a sliding scale until they are gone.
Old 12-13-2019 | 03:59 PM
2024 Honda Civic Type R

Originally Posted by charliemike
Please stop. It’s getting annoying you two fanboys are constantly doing this. I don’t care if Tesla is better than this. That’s not what I’m talking about.
The constant dick riding is ruining this place. They could at least keep the circle jerk to one thread.
Old 12-13-2019 | 04:04 PM
Azine Jabroni

Part of the problem with Tesla right now is the 3 is not very profitable. The S and X are and are not selling.

That's why they still aren't clear of money trouble.
Old 12-13-2019 | 06:42 PM
Team Owner

To me 200 miles and 300 miles range makes little to no difference. They all face the same issue. Charging time and charging locations when taking a road trip vs. Gas powered cars.

Most of the people use Tesla as commuter/city cars... while you could do road trips but you trip route will be based on where the charging stations are, instead of where you really want to go with the shortest route. not to mention, it will take much longer to do the trip (Charging time + longer route). So while you could, it is not ideal.

That is why 200 miles and 300 miles... who cares... most of the drivers will be driving within the cities anyways and they could charge when they get home.
If you drive more than 200 miles a day, i dont think buying a $100k+ Porsche is a good idea anyway.

The built quality, interior and exterior are way more relevant to the intended use than the range...

Try to drive a Tesla with 5 people with AC/Heater blast and see how far you can go....

Sarlacc (12-13-2019)
Old 12-13-2019 | 06:43 PM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Part of the problem with Tesla right now is the 3 is not very profitable. The S and X are and are not selling.

That's why they still aren't clear of money trouble.
Then it’s the time to buy some stock.

Alright guys. I don’t want to ruin this thread if that’s where it’s heading to. I’ll go slow.
Old 12-18-2019 | 07:48 PM
Sanest Florida Man

$50k for a Tesla that goes 310 miles is “expensive”, but $151k for a Porsche that goes 201 miles is “fine”
Old 12-19-2019 | 09:11 AM
Ex-OEM King

Originally Posted by #1 STUNNA
$50k for a Tesla that goes 310 miles is “expensive”, but $151k for a Porsche that goes 201 miles is “fine”
$70k for an Acura luxury sedan is too expensive. $100k for a 750hp Mustang is a good deal.

Make sense?

To be honest, I don't think the model 3 is expensive at all. It's bang on for price and the sales figures reflect that.
Comfy (12-19-2019)
Old 12-19-2019 | 09:56 AM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Please stop. Create a Tesla thread in Car Talk rather than taking over every EV thread with your agenda. Comfy too.
The following 2 users liked this post by charliemike:
RPhilMan1 (12-19-2019), Sarlacc (12-19-2019)
Old 12-19-2019 | 11:26 AM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Originally Posted by charliemike
Please stop. Create a Tesla thread in Car Talk rather than taking over every EV thread with your agenda. Comfy too.
As said before I’ll try to stick to cars / models which I’m only interested in. Please don’t invite me if you don’t want me here. You’re welcome.

Last edited by Comfy; 12-19-2019 at 11:33 AM.
Old 12-19-2019 | 11:38 AM
The Third Ball

As said before I’ll try to stick to cars / models which I’m only interested in. Please don’t invite me if you don’t want me here. You’re welcome.
You were never invited...
RPhilMan1 (12-20-2019)
Old 12-19-2019 | 12:50 PM
Ex-OEM King

You were never invited...
Old 12-19-2019 | 03:29 PM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

In that case it’s my duty to stick around.
Old 12-19-2019 | 03:41 PM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

www.forbes.com/sites/bradtempleton/2019/10/14/new-104k-porsche-taycan-looks-nice-but-is-no-tesla-killer/amp/

Porsche has unveiled a “cheaper” electric car, the Taycan 4S, coming in around $104,000 for the 80kwh battery which will deliver a European range of 407 km (250 miles.) European ranges are somewhat inflated. It has a 3.8 second 0-60 time and all wheel drive. A larger battery model is also available.The range and acceleration are below a cheaper Tesla model S, so it’s certainly not a “Tesla killer” for those with a focus on performance per dollar, though it has a better shot than the much more expensive (but more powerful) $153,000 Turbo model that was released earlier. In fact, the much cheaper Model 3 performance has superior numbers. More details are currently scant.

For many buyers, though, these range and performance numbers are sufficient, so the question will be, do they want what a Tesla represents or what a Porsche represents? People have never thought a Porsche was a good value for the money because it isn’t. But it has appealed to a particular buying demographic who like its message, and like showing themselves as a Porsche driver to others. The same is starting to be true for Teslas as well. .....
The Teslas have longer range, but more important than that, they have Tesla’s supercharger network. That network makes long road trips in Teslas practical. They’re still not ideal but they work. That’s not true in any other car. The existing network of DC fast chargers is growing out slowly, but charges at a third to half the rate of Tesla chargers. Porsche has developed some very fast charging for their cars, but there is no deployed network of those chargers today. All the cars have enough range to handle driving around your home city without ever charging away from your house, so it is the charging network that matters as much as the range.
Tesla is outselling all the other similarly priced and more expensive cars in the areas in which it is established. There seem to be more people who want what Tesla offers than what Porsche offers. Models like these will not be seen as Tesla killers, but rather as Porsche savers. The sportscar makers can’t coast on their nameplates and must produce electric offerings that are at least competitive. Some sportscar buyers don’t care about price, but most do, and if they can get the Model 3 for half the price, they will pay attention.
Old 12-19-2019 | 03:44 PM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-tsla...-billion-loss/Tesla stock (NASDAQ:TSLA) has set new records once more, with shares breaking the $400 barrier on Thursday’s opening bell. Together with a new record market cap of $72 billion, TSLA stock’s recent displays of strength have given yet another massive blow to short-sellers.

That’s a blow worth over $2 billion and a step towards the proverbial $420 per share mark that CEO Elon Musk quoted during a brief attempt at taking Tesla private last year.
Old 12-20-2019 | 08:24 AM
Ex-OEM King

Porsche Taycan demand has already exceeded expectations. No one is anticipating a $150k car to sell in high volumes lol.

People may not think Porsche is a "good value" but they sure do sell like crazy!
Old 01-15-2020 | 09:15 PM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Talking Rejoice guys:2020 Porsche Taycan Turbo S gets 192-mile EPA range rating

When official EPA range numbers for the 2020 Porsche Taycan Turbo came out, the news hit like a ton of bricks (or batteries, same difference). That’s all Porschehas? 201 miles? Yep, that’s what $153,510 will buy you. Compared to the Tesla Model S, that number is shockingly off base. However, the Taycan is a proper sports car that’ll hold up on track, unlike the Model S, which is slanted toward street driving. There’s also an argument to be made in defending the range figure itself, as folks rarely drive more than 201 miles in a day. And if you have over $150,000 to spend on a Taycan, you surely have enough spare cash to get yourself a very nice gas engine car that’ll take you on those longer trips.

That news the other week was just about the regular Taycan Turbo, though. Now, EPA ratings are available for the Taycan Turbo S. Just as one might expect, the faster of the two Taycan Turbos is also less efficient. It gets a rating of just 192 miles on a full charge. That’s nine miles fewer than the Turbo. The last thing anybody wanted to see was less range, but that’s what happens when you add even more performance. The Turbo S is quicker, has more horsepower and torque, comes standard with larger wheels and also adds an assortment of performance handling equipment. All this combined can be attributed to the lower range number.

The Turbo S is also slightly less efficient than the regular Turbo, coming in at 68 MPGe. That makes it the new leader in the clubhouse for the least efficient electric car on sale today, besting the Taycan Turbo’s 69 MPGe figure. Having the least efficient electric car out there isn’t an enviable position to be in, but we’re not surprised that it’s a Porsche.

For comparison’s sake, the Tesla Model S Performance is rated at 97 MPGe, significantly more efficient than the Taycan Turbo S. It also boasts 134 miles more in total rated range, coming in at 326 miles. Picking between the two will force you to determine your priorities in an EV, and it will also assume an empty check, as the Turbo S is selling for $187,610 at launch.
Old 01-30-2020 | 09:34 PM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Here's one dude (I would call him a daredevil) taking a transcontinental round trip (US and Canada) in his Taycan. The first of its kind I guess for the next six weeks, and the challenges he is facing are really daunting. Lack of proper fast charging network, lack of appropriate mapping in the car, as well as faulty charging equipment at some places. The EV community have a challenge at hand. If anyone's interested, he's just started now. Interestingly one of the shots he posted shows 97% (full) charge and 179 miles remaining. Not bad for a Porsche.
https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/th...y-journal.879/

Last edited by Comfy; 01-30-2020 at 09:37 PM.
#1 STUNNA (01-31-2020)
Old 01-31-2020 | 04:33 PM
Team Owner

OK We get it. Tesla is better, we could tell what you are trying to say ....
Have you posted anything else on this forum?

You should screenshot everything you posted here and send them to Tesla.. maybe they will give you some additional discount whenever you are ready to buy.
charliemike (02-01-2020)
Old 01-31-2020 | 09:21 PM
Sanest Florida Man

Here's one dude (I would call him a daredevil) taking a transcontinental round trip (US and Canada) in his Taycan. The first of its kind I guess for the next six weeks, and the challenges he is facing are really daunting. Lack of proper fast charging network, lack of appropriate mapping in the car, as well as faulty charging equipment at some places. The EV community have a challenge at hand. If anyone's interested, he's just started now. Interestingly one of the shots he posted shows 97% (full) charge and 179 miles remaining. Not bad for a Porsche.
Wow great find! I'll be sure to follow along. Quite a ballsy thing to do. This is going to be tough for him, even if he had a Model S he'd have probably have a few charging issues. But taking a brand new Taycan around the continent during winter is quite a challenge.

I wish he posted videos.
Old 02-01-2020 | 09:56 AM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Originally Posted by oonowindoo
OK We get it. Tesla is better, we could tell what you are trying to say ....
Have you posted anything else on this forum?

You should screenshot everything you posted here and send them to Tesla.. maybe they will give you some additional discount whenever you are ready to buy.
On the contrary, I have some increasing respect for the Taycan after getting to know about it more.
Some differences in Taycan are
• it has 10% battery kept as redundant so that people don’t charge it to 100% and degrade it (Tesla apparently allows to charge up to 100% - and recommends it only during long trips)
• It doesn’t have one pedal driving. The only regenerative part is while using the brakes, effectively it allows to coast to stop (Tesla uses regeneration only while accelerator not depressed - no coasting, but actual braking is by discs).
• Performance is claimed to be repeatable (but not verified by third party tests)
• Range is not a priority but, sporty performance, consistency of brake feel and driving experience (as compared to other Porsche’s) is. Apparently Tesla’s one pedal driving feels different when it’s charged to 100% or with extreme cold weather.
• Has stellar build quality and stunning looks.

I think the EV space is so wide and open that both these cars have ample space to grow and flourish. I don’t think they are meant to be direct competitors.
Tesla Model S is meant to be (and excels) as a regular practical family sedan which can do it all, at the same time stand up to all sorts of sports cars, where as Taycan is a true expensive less practical sports car.
Old 02-03-2020 | 10:23 AM
Regional Coordinator (Southeast)

Saw a Taycan in person this weekend. Thing is beautiful on the outside. It was turned off sitting in the dealer and when not running man does the interior look super bland. Much prefer a standard Porsche interior with buttons and switches.
Old 02-03-2020 | 11:17 AM
Safety Car

That's a great read so far. If Porsche won't use his documentation for testing and fixing bugs that would be a huge disappointment. This dude needs some reimbursement for this 10,000 mile test!
#1 STUNNA (02-03-2020)
Old 02-03-2020 | 02:56 PM
Ex-OEM King

Apparently EPA range test was not right?

https://www.autoblog.com/2020/02/03/...os-range-test/

A nondescript white van rolls up beside my blue 2020 Porsche Taycan Turbo as I sit at a red light on the Pacific Coast Highway near Huntington Beach, Calif. The driver rolls down his window, gives a hearty thumbs up, and makes it clear via additional hand signals that he wants to see me stand on it. His grinning passenger leans forward and seconds the motion with an enthusiastic nod.

I roll down my own window. “Sorry, but I’m in the middle of a range test.”

They seem to understand. When the light turns green they hang back, content to snap pictures as I accelerate away at a prudent pace. Normal driving is the goal here. To do this right I can neither be hyperactive nor drive like a hypermiler.

That’s because this test has two parts. The first is a controlled drive around a standardized test course I’ve used before. The second is a more freeform road trip to see friends in the isolated desert town of Borrego Springs, Calif.

At the end, I'm hoping to answer two questions we all have about the Porsche Taycan: Is the Taycan Turbo’s 201-mile range achievable in the real world? Can you travel out of town and have a little fun along the way without fretting over range?

A lap of Orange County — or maybe two

I’m driving on what I call my "Lap of Orange County" test loop, an EV range test course of my own design. It’s made up of suburban residential and arterial streets, along with a stretch of the Pacific Coast Highway. Speed limits range between 25 and 60 mph, with much of it in the 35-to-45-mph range. There are no outright freeways, but there are more than 100 potential stoplights and a couple dozen stop signs.

One lap of the circuit is 104.5 miles, which means that two laps would exceed the Taycan Turbo’s rated range by 8 miles. I’m hoping for two laps, but if I make it, I won’t keep going until the Porsche craps out along some random curb. That’s not safe, and it’s not a realistic reflection of how EV ownership works. Besides, no one wants to see the “winch of shame” onto a AAA flatbed.

Instead, I’ll add the miles remaining, if any, to the number of miles driven. This “projected range” figure should be quite accurate because the distance-to-empty calculation should be mature after all that time. Then I’ll plug it in and calculate consumption after it’s full. The Taycan’s consumption rating is 49 kilowatt-hours per 100 miles (kWh/100), which is frankly terrible.

Profiling in the O.C.

By my calculation, this is going to take nearly eight hours. But this course has enough to look at to keep things interesting. Along PCH there’s sun, surf, and enough G-Wagens to equip a small army. Not to mention the stoned surfers in white vans looking for an Instagram fix.

I start out in Range mode instead of the default Normal mode because, well, this is a range test. This configures the Taycan to prioritize its front motor, and it also drops the air suspension to low mode regardless of speed. What it doesn’t do is make the throttle pedal react like a dead fish. I usually won’t use the Eco settings in other EVs and hybrids for this very reason, but I’ve got no complaints here.

The road surface varies significantly as I roll through some two dozen municipalities, from aging cracked concrete and baked coarse asphalt to mildly undulating paved ribbons draped over sagging seaside cliffs. The air suspension takes it all in stride, and low mode only seems to lack enough travel over one particularly nasty edge.

As morning turns to midday, the sun melts through the marine clouds. I’ve got the climate control set to 72 degrees in full automatic mode (my standard setting for EV tests), and I don’t mind that Range mode engages the AC’s Eco program because I’m driving solo. The Taycan’s all-glass roof was a worry before I started, but its coating is proving more than up to the task of keeping the radiant heat at bay. Still, this isn’t summer, and I’m not in Phoenix.

This is going to be easy

I begin to get optimistic about the Taycan’s chances after about two hours. The number of remaining miles far exceeds expectations, to the point where the projected range works out to well over 260 miles. But I’m only about one-quarter of the way home. Too early to celebrate.

It’s worth pointing out how I drive this course. The idea is to play it right down the middle, being neither too fast nor too slow, too aggressive nor too meek. Traffic is free flowing, but clustered packs of cars usually define the pace anyway. When it’s more open and I can set my own pace, I’ll limit myself to about 5 mph over, which slots me between the leadfoots and the slowpokes.

The numbers are even better as I make the turn to pass my home the first time. The Taycan’s trip odometer indicates 104.6 miles driven and — get ready for this — 179 remaining. I marvel at the prospect of 284 miles as I begin lap two.

Traffic is slightly worse on the second circuit, especially as commuters start to mix in towards the end. My average speed drops a bit, but the gauge says I’m still pacing about 2-mph faster than my usual average speed on this course.

Lap two is much like the first, with my podcast backlog shrinking all the way. And then it’s over. I roll into my driveway with 209.2 miles on the trip odometer. After two laps of Orange County, the Taycan has surpassed its rated range by 8.2 miles, and it did so with another 78 miles on the range meter. That’s 287.2 miles of projected range, folks, some 43 percent better than the EPA rating.

For perspective, I have seen several other EVs — but certainly not all — best their rated range on this course by 20 percent or so. This result is significant because this is the first time I've seen a car crush it by over 40 percent. The mind boggles further when you consider that this particular Taycan Turbo rolls on massive Michelin Pilot Sport 4 summer tires instead of the workaday all-season rubber you normally see on EVs and hybrids.

Time to have dinner and recharge it for tomorrow.

Over the mountains from beach to desert

Phase two has no set speed, and I stick with the default Normal mode because this isn’t my formal range test. There’s also no standard route; I chose Borrego Springs because friends live there and the scenery is spectacular. It doesn’t hurt that the roads that lead to it are some of my favorites, the sort that automakers choose when they invite the media to drive their newest toys.

There’s some freeway mileage along the coast before the route turns inland, and here I let the Taycan run at the pace of the leftmost lane. I stop at a Cars and Coffee event for an hour or so, then head inland on a four lane with some stoplights. Then the two lane starts. My projected range hovers improbably close to yesterday’s end result even though I’m running on faster roads and taking more liberties.

Tourists soon dictate a pace I don’t like, and I make a snap decision to detour up and down Palomar mountain on S6 and S7, two of my favorite side roads. The way up is a sinuous hairpin-laden beast that would be in the Tour de France if this were France, but it settles for the Tour de California. There’s no one in front of me, so I do what you would do.

The Taycan’s fat Michelin Pilot Sport 4 summer tires produce immense grip as the electric Porsche leaps from hairpin to hairpin, utterly unfazed by the gradient. Tiny pebbles ting off the flat underbelly of the car as the dual motors noiselessly get down to business. The steering is even more precise and well-weighted than I remember it from an earlier drive in Europe, and there seems to be no end to what the brakes can do.

The more flowing road that leads back down reinforces a lament I’ve noticed before. I wish Porsche saw fit to enable a real lift-throttle regeneration driving mode that does more than merely simulate engine braking. I get it, it’s a drivers' car. But one-pedal driving can be massive fun, too. Give us a choice.

The last miles

I check the range gauges at the end of my 20-minute detour. The blast up and down the mountain cost me, but with 113.6 miles driven, the car says it still has 132 miles left in it. That’s still 245.6 miles of projected range. I’m impressed.

I’m even more amazed when I realize that there’s still another significant downhill stretch between here and my destination. Borrego Springs lies at a similar elevation to my starting point but, relatively speaking, I’m still in the highlands. Up ahead, highway S22 dives off the side of a mountain of boulders through dozens of coiled corners before delivering me smack into town.

The Taycan generates electricity all the way down, but the brake pedal feel is so outstanding that it’s unclear which percentage of the slowing is coming from the motor’s magnetism or the massive 10-piston Akebono front calipers. The regenerative system can generate as much as 0.4g, so I’d guess that even here the motor’s doing more than the rotors.

The numbers seem to bear that out. Once I’m at the bottom, I meet up with my friends, drive to the far edge of town to take some sunset pictures of the car, then go out to dinner. Finally back at their place, the two meters read 167.5 miles driven and 86 miles to go. That works out to 253.5 miles of projected range, otherwise known as 7.9 more miles than I had at the top of S22.

Bottom line: Stop worrying about the Taycan’s range

I’ve taken numerous trips in many different electric cars, so I was never concerned about the Taycan even if its range did prove to be “just” 201 miles. But it’s now abundantly clear to me that the Taycan Turbo’s real world range is easily better that the number the EPA gave it.

My result of 287 miles of projected range in around-town driving shows that there’s ample cushion if you drive normally. It took 72.9 kWh to replenish the battery afterwards, and the math works out to a consumption rate of 34.8 kWh/100. That’s fully 29% better than the EPA rating of 49 kWh/100.

It's true that most EVs can exceed their rated range when driven prudently, but I've never seen this much margin on this course. Still, an EV's published range is conservative by design, the result of lopping 30 percent off the number generated by the EPA test protocol. As it happens, 201 miles is exactly what you get if you take 30 percent off my 287-mile result. I'm not saying that my course mimics the EPA EV test pattern exactly, but maybe this result says something about the by-the-book nature of Porsche's numbers in the context of the EPA procedure.

Better still, the numbers didn’t plummet on a more spirited road trip. Higher speeds and a bit of light hooning up a mountain had an effect, but it was nothing like I expected. My projected range was still more than 50 miles better than its official rating after all that. So let’s agree to stop wringing our collective hands about the 2020 Porsche Taycan Turbo’s range. It’s more than fine.
Comfy (02-04-2020)
Old 02-04-2020 | 11:01 AM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

That’s good to know. Maybe more independent verifications may lead the EPA range to be revised.
Old 02-04-2020 | 12:31 PM
Sanest Florida Man

It's my understanding that it's up to the OEM to test the range and report it to the EPA
Old 02-04-2020 | 01:11 PM
Sanest Florida Man

Seth Weintraub, the head guy at Electrek did a review on the Taycan recently, and he dropped this tidbit in the comments of the review

Old 02-04-2020 | 03:15 PM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

It's my understanding that it's up to the OEM to test the range and report it to the EPA
From what I understand it can be either way. EPA will perform the test in about 10% of cases and the rest it will rely on manufacturers numbers (since it doesn’t have the support staff necessarily to do all by itself). It picks randomly which one to do themselves. In Taycan’s case EPA decided to test it themselves.
Old 04-19-2020 | 10:12 AM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

As you guys already might have heard Porsche has released it’s Taycan 4S with a price tag little over $100,000 and range of about 203 miles. What do you guys think about it? Will it give the Model S a serious run for it’s money?

2020 Porsche Taycan 4S EPA Driving Range Estimates Are Likely Conservative

The cheapest Taycan EV was expected to deliver a little more range. It still might.

Apr 17, 2020The 2021 Porsche Taycan 4S has proven to be a serious Tesla competitor. Although it's slightly less powerful than other Taycans, the 4S is much more affordable, lining it up better with the Model S, and still quite fun to drive. Now, we're learning a few more details about the least-expensive Porsche EV that arrives in U.S. dealerships today. The 4S gets an EPA-estimated range of 203 miles, a number that we suspect is too low, based on our previous experience with the Taycan.
Keep in mind that this rating applies only to 4S models with the upgraded Performance Battery Plus. Going by the EPA numbers, these 4S models achieve more range than the Turbo and Turbo S, rated at 201 miles and 192 miles, respectively. That said, those less-efficient Taycans strongly out-perform their EPA numbers outside of a lab. In our real-world range test of the Taycan Turbo S, we achieved 254 miles between charges.
The initial batch of 4S models arriving in dealerships have the Performance Battery Plus specification. Base models with the standard battery will arrive in the U.S. at a later date (and likely receive a different EPA range figure). A $6,580 option, the Performance Battery Plus trades the standard 79-kWh battery pack for a 93-kWh unit. Instead of making 429 horsepower (or 522 with launch control overboost), these upgraded models deliver 482 horsepower (or 563 with overboost). The 4S models available now also come with the fixed glass panoramic roof and an upgraded mobile charging cable.

There is yet another indication that the 4S's real-world driving range will likely be higher than the EPA estimate. Porsche commissioned third-party range testing from AMCI, and the results are pretty strong. The independent firm is estimating 290 miles for the 4S Performance Battery Plus in Range mode—certainly possible from the least-powerful, lowest-power-draw Taycan with the same size battery as the juice-thirstiest Turbo S we tested (which, remember, turned in 254 miles in our hands).

https://www.motortrend.com/news/2020...ing-range-epa/
Old 04-19-2020 | 01:44 PM
Safety Car

There is $7500 federal credit for prosche.. Model S and Model X sales are so low that it wont matter adding another competitor. but we have to look at lease deals and residual values. No one keeps these cars for long term.

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto...109784984.html
I am offering a LEASE TRANSFER. This is a $61,000 car and is fully loaded. $800 / month plus $2,500 downpayment.

Old 04-19-2020 | 05:05 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

As you guys already might have heard Porsche has released it’s Taycan 4S with a price tag little over $100,000 and range of about 203 miles. What do you guys think about it? Will it give the Model S a serious run for it’s money?

2020 Porsche Taycan 4S EPA Driving Range Estimates Are Likely Conservative

The cheapest Taycan EV was expected to deliver a little more range. It still might.

Apr 17, 2020The 2021 Porsche Taycan 4S has proven to be a serious Tesla competitor. Although it's slightly less powerful than other Taycans, the 4S is much more affordable, lining it up better with the Model S, and still quite fun to drive. Now, we're learning a few more details about the least-expensive Porsche EV that arrives in U.S. dealerships today. The 4S gets an EPA-estimated range of 203 miles, a number that we suspect is too low, based on our previous experience with the Taycan.
Keep in mind that this rating applies only to 4S models with the upgraded Performance Battery Plus. Going by the EPA numbers, these 4S models achieve more range than the Turbo and Turbo S, rated at 201 miles and 192 miles, respectively. That said, those less-efficient Taycans strongly out-perform their EPA numbers outside of a lab. In our real-world range test of the Taycan Turbo S, we achieved 254 miles between charges.
The initial batch of 4S models arriving in dealerships have the Performance Battery Plus specification. Base models with the standard battery will arrive in the U.S. at a later date (and likely receive a different EPA range figure). A $6,580 option, the Performance Battery Plus trades the standard 79-kWh battery pack for a 93-kWh unit. Instead of making 429 horsepower (or 522 with launch control overboost), these upgraded models deliver 482 horsepower (or 563 with overboost). The 4S models available now also come with the fixed glass panoramic roof and an upgraded mobile charging cable.

There is yet another indication that the 4S's real-world driving range will likely be higher than the EPA estimate. Porsche commissioned third-party range testing from AMCI, and the results are pretty strong. The independent firm is estimating 290 miles for the 4S Performance Battery Plus in Range mode—certainly possible from the least-powerful, lowest-power-draw Taycan with the same size battery as the juice-thirstiest Turbo S we tested (which, remember, turned in 254 miles in our hands).

https://www.motortrend.com/news/2020...ing-range-epa/
I feel like the Tesla Model S is getting dated now. It's still quite a bit cheaper than the Taycan 4S.

What I like about the Taycan though is that its performance is highly repeatable. Car and Driver did 15 acceleration tests in a row for both the Taycan and Model S Performance, the Taycan was extremely consistent, whereas the Model S went from a 10 second car in the 1/4 mile to being a 14 second car within 3 runs or something. You also need to do quite a bit of warm up to get the Model S to do that one hero run, with a very full battery.

Also from what I've read, the Taycan drives like a proper Porsche, which is fun to drive, super fast on all kinds of roads, steers like a Porsche, corners like a POrsche, stops like a Porsche, and you feel like you are in a 911.

I believe the Model S P starts at $95k and the Taycan 4S starts at $104k before options and incentives. I'd be happy to spend that extra 10% or so on the Taycan 4S.
Comfy (04-20-2020)
Old 07-20-2020 | 02:28 PM
Sanest Florida Man

Porsche is having a slow start with its first electric car — the Taycan — with 4,480 deliveries during the first half of 2020.

The first deliveries of the Taycan started late last year, and therefore, 2020 is the first full year of production and deliveries for Porsche’s first all-electric car.

The German automaker isn’t likely to get a perfect idea of the demand for the electric sedan considering the current economic situation caused by the pandemic.

Today, Porsche announced that it delivered fewer than 5,000 Taycans during the first half of the year:
The Taycan likewise continues to be well-received by customers: Porsche delivered 4,480 units in the first half of the year within the context of a staggered market launch.
At first, it may not sound that bad for a smaller automaker like Porsche, but the company had great ambitions for the Taycan.

Porsche had originally planned a production capacity of 20,000 units per year for the Taycan, but it said that it is increasing Taycan production capacity after seeing high demand.

Some sources have even suggested that Porsche could be looking at a production capacity of up to 40,000 cars per year, which would make the electric car one of its best-selling models.

Aside from the pandemic, another thing that could have affected Taycan sales in the first half of the year is that the Taycan 4S, the cheaper version of the electric sedan, arrived just a few months ago.

Furthermore, Porsche recently announced the RWD version of the Taycan, which will bring the base price even lower. However, the German automaker has only confirmed deliveries of that version for the Chinese market so far.

With the 2021 version of the Taycan, Porsche is introducing several beautiful new color options.

The 2021 Porsche Taycan is expected to start at $104,000 for the 4S base version. Some deals might become available during the second half of the year for 2020 units.
Old 07-20-2020 | 04:33 PM
Team Owner

With that much torque down low, wouldn't the RWD only Taycan only good for burnouts?
Old 07-27-2020 | 09:02 PM
Senior Moderator

Neat read: https://www.supercars.net/blog/porsc...rging-station/

Quick Reply: Porsche: Taycan News