North American Auto Industry Crisis news **Pontiac's Last Day (page 28)**

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2009, 08:13 PM
Team Owner

Received 582 Likes on 346 Posts
Let me get this straight, they need more money to cut spending?

WTF kinda business are they running. Close your doors already you've epic failed.
Old 02-17-2009, 08:15 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Originally Posted by agranado
damn.. 100$b to file bankruptcy? uhh
Yeah....totally mindboggling. I'm starting to think maybe it's time to let these turkeys go. I don't want to pay $100 B of my money for this.

Of course, the choice of $100 B to save 2 million jobs vs. $100s of billions of lost production capacity....I'm sure glad I don't have to be the one to make that decision.
Old 02-17-2009, 08:54 PM
I disagree with unanimity

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts
This is getting ridiculously out of hand.
Old 02-17-2009, 10:17 PM
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
47,000 jobs gone under GM restructuring plan

Chrysler asks U.S. government for more in loans, plans to cut another 3,000 jobs
Feb 17, 2009

Tom Krisher and Ken Thomas
THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

DETROIT–General Motors Corp., presenting a dire outlook for the future, said Tuesday it may need US$30 billion in total government financing to weather the economic downturn and would cut 47,000 jobs worldwide and close five more U.S. factories in a massive restructuring plan.

The automaker is already surviving on US$13.4 billion in federal loans and said in a 117-page plan submitted to the U.S. Treasury Department that it would seek an additional $16.6 billion if economic conditions worsen, but it could achieve profitability in two years and fully repay its loans by 2017.

The U.S. automaker presented its turnaround plan as it worked to win concessions from the United Auto Workers union and bondholders to dramatically resize the company. The UAW said it reached a tentative deal with GM, Chrysler LLC and Ford Motor Co. on contract changes, but discussions were still under way about how the companies would fund union-run trust funds that will take over the companies' retiree health care obligations starting next year.

Chrysler LLC, meanwhile, told the U.S. government Tuesday it needs even more taxpayer money to survive and plans to cut another 3,000 jobs so it can stay alive.

Chrysler said it now projects that automakers will sell 10.1 million vehicles in the U.S. this year, the lowest level in four decades.

The restructuring will spill over into Canada as the Canadian units of General Motors, Ford and Chrysler negotiate with the Canadian Auto Workers union for wage and workplace concessions to keep a lid on costs at Canadian plants.

"What we've agreed to do is fully examine our cost competitive advantage with the UAW after their bargaining, (and) take a look at what that means to the Canadian operations," CAW president Ken Lewenza told a news conference in Toronto late Tuesday.

"We've committed that the CAW will maintain a competitive advantage in doing business and creating investment decisions for the future here in Canada and protecting jobs not only for our active members but our retirees moving forward. So we have a lot of work to do."

GM said it was making progress but had not yet achieved all the concessions from union workers, lenders, dealers and suppliers that the Bush administration sought in the loan terms provided last December.

Chief financial officer Ray Young said the company hopes to exchange two-thirds of its roughly US$28 billion in unsecured bond debt by the end of March to meet the loan terms.

Bondholders, he said, signed a letter saying that they were making progress with the company. The UAW also signed a similar letter saying progress had been made on the health care trust fund. The terms of the loan suggest that GM make half of the required $20 billion in payments to the fund as company stock instead of cash.

Young said the talks have reached a critical stage.

`At this juncture we feel we can make progress" and meet requirements to finalize the deals by March 31, he said.

President Barack Obama's administration will review the plans from GM and Chrysler LLC but could pull the loans if they don't approve the turnaround plans by then. The review could be extended into April, but if the government demands the money back it would force the companies into bankruptcy.

Chairman and CEO Rick Wagoner said the plan submitted Tuesday is more aggressive than the one presented to the government in December because besides U.S. sales plummeting to a 26-year low, the global economy and auto sales worldwide have deteriorated since then.

`Today's plan is significantly more aggressive because it has to be," Wagoner told a news conference Tuesday night. "We have taken stronger actions, we needed to."

In December, GM said it might need a total of $18 billion in government financing but only got a commitment of $13.4 billion, including $4 billion that the automaker received Tuesday.

GM predicted it could run out of money next month and said it wants to receive an additional $2 billion in March and an additional $2.6 billion in April.

The company has a $4.5 billion revolving line of credit that must be refinanced in 2011 but now believes that private funding won't be available, so the automaker is asking the government to lend the money.

If market conditions deteriorate, GM says it may also need an additional $7.5 billion revolving line of credit to stay afloat, for a total potential request of $30 billion.

Chief operating officer Fritz Henderson said the company explored three bankruptcy scenarios, all of which would cost the government more than $30 billion.

The government, he said, is the only place the company could get financing for a Chapter 11 reorganization, because the credit markets are frozen. The worst-case bankruptcy scenario would cost the government $100 billion, Henderson said, because revenue would severely drop.

He said there is not a lot of research about whether people would buy cars from an automaker in bankruptcy protection, but "that which is there suggests that sales fall off a cliff."

GM's plan details extensive cuts, but most of the eliminated jobs are outside the U.S. Of the 47,000 jobs to be slashed, 26,000 will be overseas. The new plan has the U.S. work force declining from about 92,000 hourly and salaried employees at the end 2008 to 72,000 by 2012.

In its Dec. 2 plan to the former Bush administration, GM said it would cut the number of plants from 47 in 2008 to 38 by 2012. But the new blueprint goes further, cutting an additional five plants by 2012 to a total of 33 factories.

GM would further reduce the number of vehicle models. The plan envisions a reduction in nameplates from 48 in 2008 to 36 by 2012. That's four fewer models than in the December plan.

GM said all of its major U.S. vehicle launches from 2009 to 2014 would be high-mileage cars and crossovers.

GM's eight brands would be reduced to four core lines – Chevrolet, Buick, Cadillac and GMC – as the automaker said in December. But the company said Pontiac also would remain as "a highly focused niche brand."

GM, which has been reviewing the Saab brand and offered it for sale, said the Swedish unit could file for bankruptcy later this month. GM said it is requesting support from the Swedish government prior to any sale, and the company has developed a proposal that would cap GM's financial support with Saab's operations becoming an independent business by January 2010.

Wagoner said the company is still talking to potential buyers for the Hummer brand.

`We're going to try to draw that to a conclusion one way or another by the end of March," he said.

The Saturn brand, meanwhile, will remain in operation through the end of 2011. GM said it's open to the possibility of a plan from retailers or investors that would allow a spin-off or sale of Saturn.
http://www.wheels.ca/reviews/article/508292
Old 02-17-2009, 10:25 PM
Drifting

the reading material i just reviewed on the UAW and CAW websites is interesting, to say the least.

the language used in the communication is not uncommon to those found in propaganda material observed during WWII.

while reading the material, i'm thinking, "wtf...?"
Old 02-17-2009, 10:31 PM
Drifting

Canada's Auto Industry Needs Long-Term Solutions

The CAW is urging Canadian governments and the auto industry to develop a plan that addresses the industry's structural problems and which provides for a long-term solution. CAW President Ken Lewenza says: Hundreds of thousands of jobs in Canada depend on a vibrant domestic auto industry.
http://www.caw.ca/en/news-events-current-news.htm

are you fucking kidding me, CAW?! have you forgotten a major stakeholder in the development of this business plan?
Old 02-18-2009, 02:35 AM
Kang Ho

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wow GM need a As sad and devastated the US economy will be, I think GM really need to die.
Old 02-18-2009, 06:01 AM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
MORE money? Not to sound like a broken record but the bailout was a bad idea and is proving to be more and more true by the day.

Hey GM...... from a Chevrolet owner
Old 02-18-2009, 09:33 AM
Race Director

Received 630 Likes on 506 Posts
If you have some free time the details of Chrysler's plan can be seen at:

http://www.chryslerllc-info.com/docs/viability_plan.pdf

There's some interesting info in there, especially the part of about the Fiat tie-up. The "liquidation" part at the end paints an ugly picture. They seem to think that the US auto industry is "not viable" in its current form below 9.1 mil annual sales.
Old 02-18-2009, 10:18 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,400 Likes on 704 Posts
Lightbulb Bye-Bye Saturn

Dealers: Saturn's Demise "A Real Travesty" but No Surplise
BY BRENT SNAVELY • FREE PRESS BUSINESS WRITER • February 18, 2009
Saturn dealers expressed frustration, anger and sadness -- but not surprise -- after General Motors Corp. said Tuesday that the 23-year-old brand would likely fade away after 2011.

"I think most people were hoping that it was not going to be so,"
said Gregory Jackson, owner of Prestige Automotive Group, which includes three Saturn dealerships in Jacksonville, Fla. "It's a real travesty ... why Saturn has not been able to capture momentum from a sales standpoint, only God knows. But as a dealer, I am quite saddened."

Saturn's fate was one of the main questions on dealers' minds Tuesday as both GM and Chrysler LLC met a deadline for filing restructuring plans with the Treasury Department. The plans were required as conditions tied to $17.4 billion in federal loans the two companies have received.

GM said Tuesday it remains open to the possibility of Saturn dealers or investors acquiring the brand. But if that doesn't happen, Saturn will be phased out.

"I certainly support the dealers getting together. ... It's an interesting concept,"
said Jackson, who got his start as a Pontiac and Oldsmobile dealer in 1993 near Flint. "I am just not sure if the dealers as a whole can really pull that type of thing off."

GM also said Tuesday it continues to explore the possible sale of Hummer and Saab and said Pontiac will be a highly focused niche brand. It also plans to accelerate its efforts to consolidate its dealers by 25% over the next four years from 6,246 to 4,700 and said it needs another $16.6 billion in federal aid.

This left dealers such as Joe Serra, owner of Serra Automotive Group, trying his best to remain optimistic.

"The only thing I am leaving it with is they finally have a plan,"
said Serra, who owns 21 dealerships. "They are going to reduce the number of models they produce, and they are being realistic as far as what the market might be at, and maybe the break-even point."

Meanwhile, Carl Galeana, owner of Warren-based Galeana Automotive Group, said there was little in Chrysler's plan that was new for dealers. Chrysler said it plans to eliminate the Chrysler Aspen, Dodge Durango and the Chrysler PT Cruiser as part of its restructuring plan.

"There is no surprise there,"
Galeana said. "I haven't had a Durango for quite a while."

Galeana said the key for Chrysler's survival is to complete its pending deal with Fiat SpA.

"I am looking at Fiat as if it is going to happen,"
Galeana said. "Hopefully it will. And that will certainly make things better."

Contact BRENT SNAVELY at bsnavely@freepress.com.

Old 02-18-2009, 04:26 PM
Race Director

Originally Posted by SupaRookie
wow GM need a As sad and devastated the US economy will be, I think GM really need to die.
They dont need to die just get rid of the UAW.
Old 02-18-2009, 05:33 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Trackruner228
+1

can't spend money on r&d when all that money is going to union-related expenses.
Old 02-18-2009, 07:49 PM
I drive a Subata.

Received 2,603 Likes on 1,571 Posts
The only way to get rid of the UAW is to file Chapter 11. No?
Old 02-18-2009, 07:51 PM
I drive a Subata.

When I did a final project for my last business class, we concluded that GM needs to completely wipe out Saturn first... and... they are doing it lol
Old 02-18-2009, 08:25 PM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
Originally Posted by Trackruner228
yeah like that will really help...
Old 02-18-2009, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by subinf
yeah like that will really help...

What is the answer, oh great one?
Old 02-18-2009, 08:29 PM
One on the right for me

I don't have one. But getting rid of the UAW will not solve anything.
Old 02-18-2009, 08:32 PM

I don't have one. But getting rid of the UAW will not solve anything.

Why not? What has keeping the UAW got them?
Old 02-18-2009, 08:37 PM
One on the right for me

I dont' see anything changing. If they get rid of the union, people will still try to organize. I think they will be wasting their time trying to get rid of the union. Deal with it, get your concessions, and focus on making a better product that people want.
Old 02-18-2009, 08:51 PM

They are making a better product. The problem is, they have to add a premium to the cost of the car because the UAW is expensive. This makes their prices too high in people's minds. Get rid of the UAW and you get rid of the premium, thus making the price much more feasible for consumers.

Also, allocating most of their funds to the UAW, makes it that much harder to focus on R&D.
Old 02-19-2009, 12:01 AM
I drive a Subata.

Legacy cost is a huge problem for GM right now.
Old 02-19-2009, 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by JS + TL
The only way to get rid of the UAW is to file Chapter 11. No?

There's no other way.... the UAW isn't just a parasite anymore, its its own organ integrated into the body of GM, requiring nourishment. Not to mention Chapter 11 will help them reorganize and restructure to save costs and become more efficient. But HELL NO they are not getting away with not needing to pay back the government.
Old 02-19-2009, 08:24 AM
Race Director

Received 630 Likes on 506 Posts
In the details of the plan that Chrysler submited it shows a graph with the total compensation for hourly workers going down to about $60 (from about $75) next year (assuming the UAW concessions are ratified). Then after getting rid of other high cost employees and hiring under new rules their total hourly compensation will be down to $49 - numbers in line with Toyota/Honda. The main legacy costs are health care and those also will be done away with under another deal (VEBA).

Their per vehicle assembly costs are then the same as the others - about 30hr/car.

Their recall rates and warranty claim costs are some of the lowest.

So from a financial point, by 2011 their costs will be the same as Honda/Toyota - the issue then will be one of sales. And with help from Fiat they might be able to eek out a living. This assumes a continued 10+% market share and sales above 10 mil in the US.

Last edited by biker; 02-19-2009 at 08:26 AM.
Old 02-19-2009, 01:44 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,400 Likes on 704 Posts
Post Saturn

Saturn owners have received a letter from the brand alerting them that it may be spun off by General Motors as an independent marketing and distribution company, reports Automotive News. In the letter, which was sent out to about 1.5 million Saturn owners, the brand said it will have to continue selling products from other manufacturers or General Motors.

“An independent Saturn would still have its great retailers, and it would continue to source current products from GM through 2011. If successful, SDC at that point would source products from other manufacturers,” said the letter.

A spokesman from Saturn said that the letter was sent out to assure current customers and potential Saturn buyers that the brand is viable and that GM will back warranties and product quality.

Saturn’s General Manager Jill Lajdziak said that the goal of a spinoff brand will be to find future vehicles to sell that match Saturn’s theme of affordable and fuel-efficient vehicles.
Old 02-19-2009, 03:21 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by biker
This assumes a continued 10+% market share and sales above 10 mil in the US.
these 2 assumptions are very significant, and will require re-evaluation on a periodic basis.

anybody have links to the GM business plan?
Old 02-19-2009, 03:25 PM
TMQ
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Other than removing the hassle of negotiation, Saturn cars aren't that different from other GM vehicles. GM needs to get rid of Pontiac and GMC too.
Old 02-19-2009, 04:22 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Originally Posted by TMQ
Other than removing the hassle of negotiation, Saturn cars aren't that different from other GM vehicles. GM needs to get rid of Pontiac and GMC too.
I beg to differ...the Opel rebadging was bringing in some great vehicles to the GM line-up. Perhaps GM can rebadge some Opels under some more of the brands that remain.
Old 02-19-2009, 04:26 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

I dont' see anything changing. If they get rid of the union, people will still try to organize. I think they will be wasting their time trying to get rid of the union. Deal with it, get your concessions, and focus on making a better product that people want.
I don't see the employees "organizing" at the US Plants of Toyota, Subaru, Mercedes, and BMW.....etc.

Maybe GM should locate more in Right-to-Work States.
Old 02-19-2009, 04:29 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
But the product and the selling of them isnt the problem. They are selling cars. But they are loosing more than they make due to the packages for the union employees.
Old 02-19-2009, 05:51 PM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,144 Likes on 817 Posts
Originally Posted by biker
In the details of the plan that Chrysler submited it shows a graph with the total compensation for hourly workers going down to about $60 (from about $75) next year (assuming the UAW concessions are ratified). Then after getting rid of other high cost employees and hiring under new rules their total hourly compensation will be down to $49 - numbers in line with Toyota/Honda. The main legacy costs are health care and those also will be done away with under another deal (VEBA).

Their per vehicle assembly costs are then the same as the others - about 30hr/car.

Their recall rates and warranty claim costs are some of the lowest.

So from a financial point, by 2011 their costs will be the same as Honda/Toyota - the issue then will be one of sales. And with help from Fiat they might be able to eek out a living. This assumes a continued 10+% market share and sales above 10 mil in the US.
Even though if they can align the assembly cost with the Japanese brands, they still need to overcome another major problem which is to design and engineer good products that appeals to car buyers.
Old 02-19-2009, 06:12 PM
One on the right for me

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
But the product and the selling of them isnt the problem. They are selling cars. But they are loosing more than they make due to the packages for the union employees.
Good job on GM remaining strong at the negotiation table.
Old 02-19-2009, 06:28 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Good job on GM remaining strong at the negotiation table.
You act as if its all GM's fault. The unions hold a gun to their head...if the union does not get what they want, they strike.

Be serious. The unions are not exactly easy to negotiate with.
It's like trying to negotiate with a crime boss.
Old 02-19-2009, 06:39 PM
One on the right for me

The labor law has no teeth - GM can do pretty much whatever the fuck they want and get away with it. Don't like the EE's that are striking, fire them. You make it sound like GM is the little pussy girl crying in the corner. I don't see that as the case.
Old 02-19-2009, 06:57 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

The labor law has no teeth - GM can do pretty much whatever the fuck they want and get away with it. Don't like the EE's that are striking, fire them. You make it sound like GM is the little pussy girl crying in the corner. I don't see that as the case.
Seriously now....GM cannot all in one fail swoop hire scab workers.
Can you imagine the $$$$ loss to retraining the entire work force?!?!?
Old 02-19-2009, 07:17 PM

There is no easy way out of this period, GM has fucked themselves over and over for the last couple of decades with piss poor management decisions, one of which was keeping the UAW around. There's no easy way around it.... now they're choosing which limb goes first and hoping it can grow back later because there's no other choice.
Old 02-19-2009, 07:23 PM
Three Wheelin'

Old 02-19-2009, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by Moog-Type-S
Seriously now....GM cannot all in one fail swoop hire scab workers.
Can you imagine the $$$$ loss to retraining the entire work force?!?!?

They are losing $$$$ by the boatloads by keeping them. Either they want to continue to lose money forever, or they choose to lose for a short time. It's time to pay the piper.

They don't necessarily have to hire scab workers. They can tell the current workers they can stay as long as they are not with the UAW. If you want to stay in the union, we are not paying you and we will hire somebody else. People will stay because there is no other place to go. If not, there are plenty of other people that will be willing to work.
Old 02-19-2009, 08:15 PM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by sho_nuff1997
They are losing $$$$ by the boatloads by keeping them. Either they want to continue to lose money forever, or they choose to lose for a short time. It's time to pay the piper.

They don't necessarily have to hire scab workers. They can tell the current workers they can stay as long as they are not with the UAW. If you want to stay in the union, we are not paying you and we will hire somebody else. People will stay because there is no other place to go. If not, there are plenty of other people that will be willing to work.
You cannot discriminate based on union affiliation.

The National Labor Relations Board will be all over GM's ass.

The only reason GM could offer buyouts to UAW members and replace them with cheaper labor (still UAW members) is because the UAW agreed to it.

If you tell UAW members to either lose their affiliation or lose their job, that's a major Unfair Labor Practice charge waiting to happen.

As much as I disdain the UAW, the workers should be protected by the law... however biased that law may be. FWIW, the National Labor Relations Act is heavily pro-labor.
Old 02-19-2009, 10:50 PM
One on the right for me

Originally Posted by sho_nuff1997

Ehh, it gets a little tricky if you tell the workers like that, but I don't disagree with that direction. I think the union has done some stupid shit over the last decade. They were great in the 80's and early 90's but now I think they are rather shortsighted in what they want. I don't mind them sticking around, but they will have to explain to the rank and file that shit will be drastically different in the future. I know that is a fundamentally different approach than yours but that is just how I see it.
Old 02-19-2009, 10:51 PM
One on the right for me

Originally Posted by Pure Adrenaline
You cannot discriminate based on union affiliation.

The National Labor Relations Board will be all over GM's ass.

The only reason GM could offer buyouts to UAW members and replace them with cheaper labor (still UAW members) is because the UAW agreed to it.

If you tell UAW members to either lose their affiliation or lose their job, that's a major Unfair Labor Practice charge waiting to happen.

As much as I disdain the UAW, the workers should be protected by the law... however biased that law may be. FWIW, the National Labor Relations Act is heavily pro-labor.
Where did you come up with that? There are no teeth to the NLRA, ERs have a TON of rights. Do you realize how fucking hard it is for a group of EEs to organize in the workplace?

Also, Bush's appointees for the NLRB could give a rats ass about ULPs. We'll see if Obama can get Board members who actually apply what little of the law remains.

Quick Reply: North American Auto Industry Crisis news **Pontiac's Last Day (page 28)**