Navi Mapping Updates?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2003, 01:49 AM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Navi Mapping Updates?

Does anyone know who is digitizing the maps for the Navigation system? I've made the deal on a new TL scheduled to arrive in late November but I am still waffling on the Navi. I live in an area that is not covered by the current mapping and I know whoever is doing it will know if and when this area will be covered but I don't know who that is. The dealer says they are making calls to find out but it's been a few days.
Anyone?
Old 10-26-2003, 03:17 AM
Race Director

Received 624 Likes on 503 Posts
Virtually every GPS/Navi manufacturer gets its cartograhy products from NavTech. So it depends on wheather NavTech has surveyed that area and in turn if Honda/Acura has bought the latest version of cartography from NavTech. Go to the dealer and try it out on a demo car - if it's not in there then it won't be in any other model for quite some time either. Since it costs money for Acura to buy new versions from NavTech they will only buy them when it's worth it or you pay Acura for the updated software. Buy the Navi if you need the Navi not if the area of concern is not in the database yet - it will be eventually (that will be a $xxx upgrade when Acura feels like offering it to you)
Old 10-26-2003, 10:10 AM
8th Gear

Thanks biker
The '04 TL's Navi doesn't cover all of Vancouver Island but apparently there will be updated DVDs annually.
I work with digital mapping from ESRI and the area I live in has been mapped for years. They have the full cadastral with layers for pretty well everything you can think of.
Prior to these areas being mapped they had a plan and a timeline. I could look at their plan and know when a specific area is most likely to be mapped.
From what I can tell from NAVTECHs website ESRI is one of their partners, which makes me think my area is fully digitized. However, the folks at my Acura dealer have been unable to give me any details. I suspect there is another partner in the mix somewhere that is putting together the mapping for this system. Alpine's "North American" website shows detailed mapping coverage for thier systems but there are still two problems 1.) The site is NOT for N.A., only U.S. and 2.) I don't actually know which model is in the TL.
Do you (or does anyone) have any more details on who's putting these maps together?
Old 10-26-2003, 12:47 PM
Race Director

Received 624 Likes on 503 Posts
Like most car manufacturers, Acura outsources their NAV work to someone or a couple of someones. Trying to find when the someone will update the info and then when Acura will offer it you is a waste of time. And no amount of complaining (or requesting) to anyone at Acura who has zero control on what makes it on the next version of the NAV will help.
Old 10-26-2003, 02:13 PM
8th Gear

Originally posted by biker
Like most car manufacturers, Acura outsources their NAV work to someone or a couple of someones. Trying to find when the someone will update the info and then when Acura will offer it you is a waste of time. And no amount of complaining (or requesting) to anyone at Acura who has zero control on what makes it on the next version of the NAV will help.

Interesting: This sounds like a pretty @$$ backwards way of doing business. At least not the attention to detail or customer orientation I would expect. I'm glad ESRI has a better relationship with whoever they contract to digitize their mapping or my job would be unnecessarily more difficult. I am inclined to follow your advice though and simply not get the Nav but for the effort it takes I think will continue to ask for now. Can you tell me do you have a specific experience that led you to this conclusion about the automaker's relationship with their suppliers?
Old 10-26-2003, 03:34 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by tlzabob
Thanks biker
The '04 TL's Navi doesn't cover all of Vancouver Island but apparently there will be updated DVDs annually.
I work with digital mapping from ESRI and the area I live in has been mapped for years. They have the full cadastral with layers for pretty well everything you can think of.
Prior to these areas being mapped they had a plan and a timeline. I could look at their plan and know when a specific area is most likely to be mapped.
From what I can tell from NAVTECHs website ESRI is one of their partners, which makes me think my area is fully digitized. However, the folks at my Acura dealer have been unable to give me any details. I suspect there is another partner in the mix somewhere that is putting together the mapping for this system. Alpine's "North American" website shows detailed mapping coverage for thier systems but there are still two problems 1.) The site is NOT for N.A., only U.S. and 2.) I don't actually know which model is in the TL.
Do you (or does anyone) have any more details on who's putting these maps together?
When I bought my 03 TL S w/Nav in the spring of 2002, the dealer told me they would be updating the DVD annually in the fall of each year. Last time I checked the Acura Website they still didn't have an update for the 2001 DVD in my car. I wouldn't hold your breath on getting updates on a timely basis. I would be especially concerned about any areas that weren't mapped before.
Old 10-26-2003, 04:04 PM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
What exactly is the date then of the current DVD in the 04 TLs?
Old 10-27-2003, 08:51 AM
Pro

Originally posted by legendguy
What exactly is the date then of the current DVD in the 04 TLs?
July 2003 is the revision date.
Old 10-27-2003, 02:25 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Would someone with an 04 TL + navi please try and look up a business that is new within the past 9 months or so and see if it shows up? I know July 2003 is showing up as the revision date, but I want to be sure that newer places are actually listed in the database.

Thanks...