Monthly Car Sales news

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2012, 11:47 AM
I drive a Subata.

Received 2,603 Likes on 1,571 Posts
Since I really don't drive much during the weekdays, I wouldn't mind a nice Prius for my work commute.

Last edited by JS + XES; 05-10-2012 at 11:49 AM.
Old 05-10-2012, 06:03 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 835 Likes on 519 Posts
Originally Posted by JS + MS3
I used to love Honda/Acura because it used to offer great overall value in comparison to its competitors.

But nowadays, not really. They don't seem to come out with something that's "better" in each and every new generation.

All the competitor brands are coming out with the cars that packs more power and amenities that people really want. In the meantime, Acura had been still rocking the not-much-improved same J-series engine.

It's just sad because they are not very "Advance" in many different ways compare to other brands.

And dude, I drive a high powered fail wheel drive. It's a BLAST to drive around. It's a pretty damn capable machine, but if I have the same car with a RWD, that would be more fun. That's just how it is.
I think it's more about others improving A LOT, while Honda/Acura progresses at the same pace. This goes for "value" as well. While other companies weren't offering great value before, they now do. Consumers have more choices now.

As far as the J-series goes, as I said before, I think it's normal. When the C series was entering its last few years, it was also dated. Same thing for the previous Toyota V6 series, etc. At least we know the ED powertrains are around the corner.

Originally Posted by YEH
Not a trend, but rather the traditional set-up (RWD + V8) for luxury sedans at the upper end.

When Cadillac has its RWD sedan lineup in place - the ATS, the larger, more luxurious CTS and the Omega flagship - which domestic luxury brand (Cadillac or Lincoln) will be compared to the Mercedes and BMW and which will be able to command higher prices?
ahh there you go, traditional, that's the word. But hey, tradiitional isn't the same as technology Having an advanced V8 is technology.

Noticed I didin't mention Lincoln in my list? Because I don't consider that as a luxury brand, despite the fact they have (or used to have) a big V8 + RWD combo (Town Car).

Originally Posted by JS + MS3
And now that I look at your post again. You are talking about the auto industry back in 2003.

The trend of market is changing every second, it seems to me that all other brands are trying very hard to adapt to the changing trend, but Acura is the only brand that is still living in early 2000.

And about that few tenths of difference in acceleration. I always say that because I hate when some people say that "lololol my car is couple tenths second faster than your car from 0 to 60. that means i'm ALWAYS faster! hahahaha". Only dumb ricers read magazine and say their cars are faster because it's faster in 0-60.

0-60 doesn't matter much, period. The quarter mile time and trap speed matter much more than 0-60. That's my point.

But who cares in reality though? :snikers:
Hmm, I was actually looking at past Honda's, hence I also mentioned the NSX. But early 2000's was the only time I could think of where Honda had a car with the highest hp (2g TL-S) in its class. Now that when I think of it, it seems like Honda started that hp war back then! Now, they are not into this hp pissing war anymore, just like most of the other times in the past. The only model that is arguably in the hp war is the American Accord V6.
Old 05-10-2012, 06:21 PM
Safety Car

Received 64 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by YEH
Yeah, and I supposed "inventory" was the reason why Acura couldn't move the RL for pretty much its entire run.

If the RL was still in demand (not that it ever was), you could be sure Acura would be churning them out due to the high profit margins.
I havent heared such retarded statements. RL was in deman for first 3 years. Since there was never a diesel version created for lowered version without AWD. It simply could not sell in rest of the world. and US sells does not justfiy production and incentives. The case is opposite with TSX/Euro Accord where both diesel and 2.0L version contribute to subsidize price in US.
The Mercedes S Class did over 900 units last month despite it being at the end of its cycle (the S Class is even older than the LS460).
They started life in 2007 for both S/LS. Not in 2004. and they are much largers cars for lower price.
for RL your getting same size car as TL but with higher price.
The Nissan Altima in March did over 30k units since Nissan decided to have one last blow-out hurrah before production of the new Altima gets into gear and hits the dealer lots.

Acura has sold a whopping 132 RLs for the 1st 4 months of 2012, do you really think Acura didn't have a few more RL's to sell?
I can show you largest Acura dealer inventory of about 200 vehicles. and guess how many will be RL?. Dont make stupid assumption.
For both 2010 and 2009, Acura only moved 2k RLs - do you really think supply was a problem for those years? (During those years, they sold 30k of both the TSX and TL; if there had been demand for the RL, they would have shifted production to the more profitable RL, if production capacity was an issue - which it wasn't).
Yes there was supply problem and TL introduction made RL redundant.
Honda/Acura execs have admitted that the RL was a flop; evidently some people didn't get the memo.
Flop is cars like Genesis that need constant updates if you understand what flops means globally interms of sales numbers and dedicated platforms for a firm.

And yet, sales of the Genesis keeps on increasing (despite heading into its 5th year of sale in the US) w/ the average MSRP being over $40k (due to the high V8-take rate) and that's despite the Genesis not being available w/ AWD.
Genesis also got 8 speed auto. Large DI engines. Except for Equus where thos tech are shared?
RL tech is shared across TL/MDX etc.
The all new Genesis w/ AWD is not far away, due to launch in 2013.

And the Equus, which is more expensive than the RL, and also w/o AWD, has done about 10X the sales volume of the RL YTD.

Blah, blah, blah - excuses.

Honda used to be able to not have to rely on incentives and commanded higher prices across the board, irrespective of what the competition had to offer.

The new CR-V still has a 5 spd, etc., but it is selling quickly and at good margins for Honda, unlike the Civic and Accord.

http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dl...IL01/305079957
You still dont get it. and nor do you understand why some thing sells and some thing not. Accord is old. and Civic has decent sales despite being a MMC rathe than FMC.
What is Toyota/Nissan? competition against CRV. Old RAV4 and uncompetitive Nissan offerings.
Equus provide value for its size. so it sales will be good. It is like saying MB GL has 6 times better sells than LX570. because MB GL is USDM value leader in this class.
Old 05-10-2012, 06:30 PM

Received 5,922 Likes on 2,919 Posts
Originally Posted by SSFTSX
Flop is cars like Genesis that need constant updates if you understand what flops means globally interms of sales numbers and dedicated platforms for a firm.
This guy's a comedian!
Old 05-10-2012, 06:39 PM
I drive a Subata.

Received 2,603 Likes on 1,571 Posts

Old 05-10-2012, 09:21 PM
YEH
Burning Brakes

Received 115 Likes on 88 Posts
I havent heared such retarded statements. RL was in deman for first 3 years. Since there was never a diesel version created for lowered version without AWD. It simply could not sell in rest of the world. and US sells does not justfiy production and incentives. The case is opposite with TSX/Euro Accord where both diesel and 2.0L version contribute to subsidize price in US.
Since when is 3 years the time frame for "being in demand"?

That's not even enough time for it to get its mid-cycle refresh.

And I'm not talking about the rest of the world, just the US.

Evidently, your definition of "being in demand" differs from the rest of the world.

These are the sales figures for the KB1 RL, starting with its 1st full year of sale in 2005.

2005 - 17,572
2006 - 11,501
2007 - 6,262
2008 - 4,517
2009 - 2,043

Even in its best year (its 1st full year of sale), the RL didn't even manage to crack 20k units, and every year since then sales have cratered.

So, at best, one could argue that it had one "good" year of sale (and not 3 as you claim).

So being at the end of its life-cycle is hardly an argument since sales were never great to begin with and tanked as quickly as in its 2nd year.

The Mercedes S Class is just about as old as the RL and it's still going on strong - so age is no excuse.

The previous gen Lexus GS - which many consider to be a failure for Toyota sold 33.5k units in its 1st year of sale (2005) - basically double that of the RL, and yet Toyoda was very close to discontinuing the GS due to poor sales.

They started life in 2007 for both S/LS. Not in 2004. and they are much largers cars for lower price.
for RL your getting same size car as TL but with higher price.
The LS and S Class were launched in early and mid 2006 while the RL was launched in late 2004 - really not that much of a diff.

As for the pricing, the RL is way cheaper than the LS, much less the S Class, so it should be able to hold onto sales longer.

I can show you largest Acura dealer inventory of about 200 vehicles. and guess how many will be RL?. Dont make stupid assumption.
That's b/c the dealership doesn't want RLs - since no one is buying them.

It's the same reason why a non-4Matic Mercedes E Class is a rarity on dealer lots in New England or a base E Class on dealer lots everywhere b/c no one is interested in buying them.

Yes there was supply problem and TL introduction made RL redundant.
Due to what other markets?

Audi has supply issues of particular models in the US b/c of heavy demand in Europe; can't recall the RL being in heavy demand in any other market.

Was there a supply issue in 2007-2008 as well?

And did the TL make the RL redundant pre-2009 as well? (The RL didn't sell well in 2006, 2007 or 2008; and really, are we talking about the same TL that has been criticized to death for its design as being the reason for the RL's downfall?) lol

What flop?

Genesis sedan sales have increased every year even tho it's into its 5th year of sale (unlike the RL which has seen decreases every year), and the new Genesis sedan (w/ AWD) is due to launch next year.

You still dont get it. and nor do you understand why some thing sells and some thing not. Accord is old. and Civic has decent sales despite being a MMC rathe than FMC.
What is Toyota/Nissan? competition against CRV. Old RAV4 and uncompetitive Nissan offerings.
I do get it.

There's a reason why Acuras are priced where they are (significantly lower) and why they have to slot their models so that they don't compete head to head with Mercedes and BMW, and why Acuras will be compared against Lincoln, Volvo, Buick and the FWD Lexus ES/RX and not BMW and Mercedes.

Now, there's absolutely nothing wrong with that, but there's a reason why both Honda and Ford have backed away from the investment that RWD + V8 would entail and why even Nissan is planning on buying platforms and engines for the next Infiniti G from Mercedes.

Last edited by YEH; 05-10-2012 at 09:25 PM.
Old 05-10-2012, 10:09 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by YEH
Since when is 3 years the time frame for "being in demand"?

That's not even enough time for it to get its mid-cycle refresh.

And I'm not talking about the rest of the world, just the US.

Evidently, your definition of "being in demand" differs from the rest of the world.

These are the sales figures for the KB1 RL, starting with its 1st full year of sale in 2005.

2005 - 17,572
2006 - 11,501
2007 - 6,262
2008 - 4,517
2009 - 2,043

Even in its best year (its 1st full year of sale), the RL didn't even manage to crack 20k units, and every year since then sales have cratered.

So, at best, one could argue that it had one "good" year of sale (and not 3 as you claim).

So being at the end of its life-cycle is hardly an argument since sales were never great to begin with and tanked as quickly as in its 2nd year.

The Mercedes S Class is just about as old as the RL and it's still going on strong - so age is no excuse.

The previous gen Lexus GS - which many consider to be a failure for Toyota sold 33.5k units in its 1st year of sale (2005) - basically double that of the RL, and yet Toyoda was very close to discontinuing the GS due to poor sales.
Lexus GS launched with two engines and 6speed auto and soon DI engine was added to GS350. RL remain with 5speed auto for 6 years.

[quote]

The LS and S Class were launched in early and mid 2006 while the RL was launched in late 2004 - really not that much of a diff.

As for the pricing, the RL is way cheaper than the LS, much less the S Class, so it should be able to hold onto sales longer.[/ quote]
Difference in technolgoy,wheel base and size.
LS460 has latest DI engine with 8 speed auto. RL remain 5speed auto. It never had the performance, fuel economy, NVH of modern flagship.

That's b/c the dealership doesn't want RLs - since no one is buying them.

It's the same reason why a non-4Matic Mercedes E Class is a rarity on dealer lots in New England or a base E Class on dealer lots everywhere b/c no one is interested in buying them.
Acura will not produce RL unless there is global demand. and Global demand cannot be created without diesel engine. Acura will not supply RL to dealer just to discount it. so people will not see RL at dealership.

Due to what other markets?

Audi has supply issues of particular models in the US b/c of heavy demand in Europe; can't recall the RL being in heavy demand in any other market.
Audi has long list of diesel engines in EU. and most of fleet and taxis prefer it.
Was there a supply issue in 2007-2008 as well?
2007-2008 were good for RL considering its over $50k price, non DI engine and 5speed Auto. Once you reach $50k. Things do change.
Put 5speed auto into Equus and see what happens to its performance/fuel economy. It will not sell 1 single one.
And did the TL make the RL redundant pre-2009 as well? (The RL didn't sell well in 2006, 2007 or 2008; and really, are we talking about the same TL that has been criticized to death for its design as being the reason for the RL's downfall?) lol
RL did sell very good considering Lexus had 6/8speed and DI engines. TL was enlarged to RL size with much lower price.

What flop?

Genesis sedan sales have increased every year even tho it's into its 5th year of sale (unlike the RL which has seen decreases every year), and the new Genesis sedan (w/ AWD) is due to launch next year.
how many engine and transmission updates plus its lower price Genesis ?. I can buy V8 Genesis for under $40k today.
$9k price cut on Eqqus. It is worse than ZDX.
http://www.capitolhyundaisanjose.com/specials/new.htm

I do get it.

There's a reason why Acuras are priced where they are (significantly lower) and why they have to slot their models so that they don't compete head to head with Mercedes and BMW, and why Acuras will be compared against Lincoln, Volvo, Buick and the FWD Lexus ES/RX and not BMW and Mercedes.

Now, there's absolutely nothing wrong with that, but there's a reason why both Honda and Ford have backed away from the investment that RWD + V8 would entail and why even Nissan is planning on buying platforms and engines for the next Infiniti G from Mercedes.
Acura is not lower price when you look at the wheelbase, content, warranty, technology.BMW is lower price mass produce manufacturer that give you 4 year maintainance , RFT tires along with latest tech at reasonable price. Just look at RL head lights and Angle eyes of BMW 3 series. Look at RL navigation system and wide screen BMW 3 series with headup display and multiview cameras. compared there wheel base and 19 inch rims.
The amount of technology that you can put in $55k 3 series is well beyond RL.
Now Hyundai is truly low priced vehicles. consider the size, warranty and technology offerred.
Old 05-10-2012, 11:05 PM
אני עומד עם ישראל

Received 810 Likes on 522 Posts
LOL @ going toe to toe with the troll
Old 05-11-2012, 12:52 AM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,146 Likes on 818 Posts
Originally Posted by iforyou

Hmm, I'm talking about both hp and actual performance numbers. This is why I said, even with the 260hp engine, it still wasn't as fast as the E46 330i 6MT, Maxima, etc. And later, G35 caught up. As you mentioned, the E46 330i only had 220-230hp and Maxima had 255hp. These cars are all faster than the TL-S. Despite having the most power, it was BEHIND by a bit. Now, the J series is trailing in power, but at least, in the TL 6MT configuration, it still matches cars that have more power in the 1/4 mile and 0-60mph. But as JS-MS3 said before, who cares about the few tenths of difference in acceleration? I think he said in other threads that only stupid people care about those small differences.
The reason is simple. Honda trannies are notorious to eat up engine horsepower, much more than those from most top auto makers. Honda should have outsourced all it's tranny development to ZF for good.

Even the 2G TL has 260 engine hp, the crappy tranny eats up to ~40hp, and so it ends up that there's only ~210-220 wheel hp left available to move the car.

But don't forget the 260hp 6MT CL-S, it is almost a full second faster than the 5AT TL-S. Now with the power-robbing 5AT out of the way, the 6MT CL-S is at least at fast, if not faster than the same-era E46 330i 6MT, Maxima, G35, etc.

Now this is true apple to apple comparison.
Old 05-11-2012, 04:08 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 439 Likes on 322 Posts
damn the honda civic is the number one compact car in YTD sales....

how the hell is honda suppose to learn to make a better car if their sales are so damn good!
Old 05-14-2012, 01:49 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Originally Posted by Edward'TLS
The reason is simple. Honda trannies are notorious to eat up engine horsepower, much more than those from most top auto makers. Honda should have outsourced all it's tranny development to ZF for good.

Even the 2G TL has 260 engine hp, the crappy tranny eats up to ~40hp, and so it ends up that there's only ~210-220 wheel hp left available to move the car.

But don't forget the 260hp 6MT CL-S, it is almost a full second faster than the 5AT TL-S. Now with the power-robbing 5AT out of the way, the 6MT CL-S is at least at fast, if not faster than the same-era E46 330i 6MT, Maxima, G35, etc.

Now this is true apple to apple comparison.
Yup, that's correct, the 5AT sucks a lot. I think it was more like 200whp with the 5AT, and 220 ish for the 6MT.

Now that you are bringing in the 6MT CL-S, yes it was a fast car and it was as fast, if not faster than Maxima, G35, and 330i 6MT. All of them are low to mid 14's cars.

However, right now, the Accord V6 6MT and TL 6MT are also high 13 second cars and are just as fast as, if not faster than the G37, Altima V6 6MT, Maxima, CTS, C350, etc.
Old 05-14-2012, 09:35 PM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,146 Likes on 818 Posts
Old 05-15-2012, 07:50 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,666 Likes on 930 Posts
Originally Posted by speedemon90
damn the honda civic is the number one compact car in YTD sales....

how the hell is honda suppose to learn to make a better car if their sales are so damn good!
I hear that. However, the Civic's shortcomings -- if unaddressed -- will eventually come back to bite Honda in the arse in the form of declining sales. People are only going to drink the Kool Aid for so long.
Old 06-01-2012, 12:10 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,400 Likes on 704 Posts
Arrow Honda Acura

American Honda today reported May 2012 U.S. sales of 133,997 units, an increase of 47.6% compared to May 2011 (an increase of 36.3 percent based on the daily selling rate*). The Honda Division posted May 2012 sales of 119,411 units, an increase of 46.0% compared to May 2011. Acura’s U.S. May sales of 14,586 units increased 62.1% compared to May 2011.

Honda
- Civic sales up more than 80 percent compared to May 2011; an exceptional sales figure for any month, Honda sold 33,490 Civics in May

- CR-V sets a May sales record (25,186 units), besting previous record by 5,226 units, leading Honda to a May record for light truck sales

- Accord sales (29,737 units) continue to show strength in the tough mid-size segment, up more than 70% from May 2011

"With our best May sales performance since before the financial crisis it’s obvious Honda’s return to strength is in full swing, and our May sales are impressive irrespective of last year’s production supply problems,” said John Mendel, American Honda executive vice president of sales. “Any time Honda Civic sales surpass 33,000 units in a month, it shows real demand in the marketplace."

Acura
- Total Acura sales of 14,586 units were up 62.1%, making this Acura’s best month since December of 2010

- The RDX had its best sales month ever (3,301 units), with May 2012 sales up 216.8%. The RDX is expected to be at the top of the compact luxury SUV segment

- Overall, Acura light trucks posted a best-ever May result of 8,226 units, up 64.7%

- The all-new ILX compact luxury sedan went on sale May 22. As dealer inventory builds, the ILX marketing campaign launches with national TV advertising beginning in early June with the NBA conference finals on ESPN

“With the new RDX setting an all-time sales record this month, Acura went well beyond recovering from last year’s supply issues,” said Jeff Conrad, vice president of Acura sales. “Now, with the new ILX reaching dealerships across America, Acura is just beginning a great new hot streak.”
The following 5 users liked this post by TSX69:
AZuser (06-01-2012), Legend2TL (06-01-2012), riomp300 (06-01-2012), Rocketsfan (06-02-2012), ttribe (06-01-2012)
Old 06-01-2012, 01:10 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
oof!!

Fit
Insight
CR-Z

ZDX
RL
Old 06-01-2012, 01:28 PM
_

Received 3,097 Likes on 1,867 Posts

Kia Motors America Sells Four Millionth Vehicle During Record-Setting Month Of May

Fastest-Growing Auto Brand in the U.S. Achieves 21st Consecutive Monthly Sales Record; Fuel-Sipping Optima, Sorento and Soul are Kia's Top Performers in May

IRVINE, Calif., June 1, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- With a diverse line-up of fuel-efficient, stylish and fun-to-drive vehicles that is attracting more new customers to its showrooms, Kia Motors America's (KMA) momentum continued with best-ever May sales of 51,771 units, a 7.4-percent increase over the same period last year. Year-to-date sales are up 18.7 percent, and May also saw the sale of Kia's four millionth vehicle in the U.S. (since entering the market in 1994) and extended the brand's run of consecutive monthly sales records to 21.

Vehicles that achieve more than 30 mpg on the highway[2] accounted for 78 percent of sales in May, while sales of the fuel-efficient 2012 Rio subcompacts, which can deliver up to 40 miles per gallon[3] on the highway, increased 59.5 percent over the same period in 2011. The record-setting May performance was driven by strong demand for the brand's two U.S.-built* products – the Optima midsize sedan and Sorento CUV built at Kia Motors Manufacturing Georgia (KMMG) – as well as the ongoing popularity of the Soul urban passenger vehicle.

"Kia has experienced dramatic growth over the past few years, and our record-breaking momentum continues as we gather industry-wide recognition for reliability, low cost of ownership, increased residual values and outstanding brand loyalty," said Byung Mo Ahn, group president and CEO of KMA and KMMG. "Our line of fuel-efficient vehicles combines cutting-edge technologies with world class design to create a standout value formula, and we'll have more new products and technologies arriving in showrooms within the next year."

Source: PR Newswire (http://s.tt/1dbhX)

Hyundai Drives Sales Growth Streak Into 41st Consecutive Month

MARKHAM, ON, June 1, 2012 /CNW/ - Hyundai Auto Canada Corp. announced today that it had achieved 41 consecutive months of year-over-year sales growth, selling 14,249 units in May. Through the first five months of the year, Hyundai's sales have risen by 4.7%.

"As proud as I am of our continued strong performance, I'm particularly optimistic looking ahead to the second half of the year," said Steve Kelleher, President and CEO of Hyundai Auto Canada Corp. "Over the course of the next month we'll be adding two new members to the highly-acclaimed Elantra family in the form of the five-door Elantra GT and two-door Elantra Coupe. With a stylish sedan, a European-designed hatchback, and a sleek coupe under one nameplate in the compact segment, Hyundai offers Canadians the most comprehensive and versatile line-up in the industry."

With sales of 151 units, May marked the best month of sales in the history of the Genesis luxury sedan. In addition, the radically-styled Veloster three-door coupe saw its best month yet with sales of 613 units. At 2,131 units sold year-to-date, Veloster is one of the top-selling vehicles in the Canadian small sporty car segment. It was also announced in May that the Sonata Hybrid was the top-rated Hybrid/EV in the U.S.-based AutoPacific and Autobytel "2012 Vehicle Satisfaction Awards". In doing so, the Sonata Hybrid outranked well-known competitors like the Toyota Camry Hybrid and Lexus CT200h.

In May, Hyundai vehicles consuming 5.0 L/100 km or less represented 53.3% of total sales. The Accent subcompact, Elantra family of compacts, Veloster 3-door coupe, and Sonata Hybrid intermediate sedan all consume fuel at rates of 5.0 L/100 km or below on the highway.

Source: PR Newswire (http://s.tt/1db0C)
Old 06-01-2012, 01:42 PM
אני עומד עם ישראל

Stagnating at its finest.
Old 06-01-2012, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by Moog-Type-S
oof!!

Fit
Insight
CR-Z

ZDX
RL
This.

Originally Posted by Hapa DC5
Stagnating at its finest.
And this. Hyundai/Kia are killing the market right now.
Old 06-01-2012, 03:23 PM
Race Director

Received 630 Likes on 506 Posts
Acura had less than 200 ILXs for the launch?
Old 06-01-2012, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by biker
Continued effects of Tsunami.
Old 06-01-2012, 04:34 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

They had to "create" demand?
Old 06-01-2012, 04:40 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Is there a mistake? 3300 Elantras...and 33000 Civics?

Also...30000 Accords, and 1300 Sonata?

Are these numbers right? I mean, how on Earth can Acura sell almost as much TL as the Elantra?
Old 06-01-2012, 05:45 PM
Race Director

That post with Kia and Hyundai numbers is a bit misleading - one is for US the other for Canada.
The following users liked this post:
ttribe (06-01-2012)
Old 06-01-2012, 06:24 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
As expected, the more mainstream RDX seems to be a winner.
Old 06-01-2012, 06:38 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Originally Posted by dom
As expected, the more mainstream RDX seems to be a winner.
Acura managed to fix a horrible vehicle.

Ugly looks, and poor performing powertrain.

Now it has vanilla looks, and a better powertrain.
Old 06-01-2012, 06:41 PM
_

Originally Posted by iforyou
Is there a mistake? 3300 Elantras...and 33000 Civics?

Also...30000 Accords, and 1300 Sonata?

Are these numbers right? I mean, how on Earth can Acura sell almost as much TL as the Elantra?
That post with Kia and Hyundai numbers is a bit misleading - one is for US the other for Canada.
My bad... Here's the US Hyundai Press Release. It came out 3 hours after the Canada one.

Hyundai Motor America Reports Best-Ever May Sales

- Second best month in company history

- Third month in a row topping 60,000 sales

- Fleet sales mix down to seven percent

COSTA MESA, Calif., June 1, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Hyundai Motor America, the most fuel-efficient automaker in the U.S., today announced an all-time May sales record of 67,019 units, up more than 13 percent over last year's all-time May record, and the second best sales month in company history.

"The industry experienced choppier waters than anticipated in May," said Dave Zuchowski, executive vice president of sales. "While industry demand and traffic remained strong, consumer confidence was clearly conflicted with a recovering market being hedged against the inherent uncertainties of a looming presidential election and some disappointing housing and unemployment news. Amidst this economic backdrop and our own very low inventories, we felt great about setting yet another monthly volume record and are really well positioned for what we fully expect to be a robust summer sales period."

Hyundai is operating with a 32-day supply of inventory, believed to be the leanest among all competitive brands and running at about half of current industry levels. The company's supply of the highly fuel-efficient Accent, Elantra, and Veloster models are running at extremely low levels of availability. "Having demand exceed supply is an enviable position to be in but it forces us to be exceptionally efficient in our production planning, inventory management, and sales velocity," added Zuchowski.

The all-new Azera, a recent recipient of IIHS' Top Safety Pick, the seventh Hyundai model to hold this recognition, continued its strong launch sales pace with a 558 percent increase over last May, while the Veloster saw sales gains of almost 14 percent over last month. Hyundai's family of premium products, Genesis and Equus, continue to deliver outstanding sales results with another all-time record volume month, representing a year-over-year sales increase of about 40 percent. Business to fleet accounts was less than a seven percent mix, among the lowest levels in the industry.

In keeping with its industry-leading fuel efficiency status, Hyundai achieved a corporate average fuel economy level of 37.0 MPG (28.5 MPG label value) in May, while selling 25,614 vehicles (38 percent of total sales) with 40 MPG window label highway fuel economy ratings.

"Demand for Hyundai vehicles in May remained at record levels, and so once again our total sales this month were a reflection of low inventories at Hyundai dealerships rather than market demand," said John Krafcik, president and CEO of Hyundai Motor America. "We've continued to keep our incentive spending and fleet mix low reflecting this situation, while at the same time watching carefully the mixed economic signals we're seeing, especially continued stagnation in the housing market, today's disappointing news on unemployment, and significant incentive spending increases from our key competitors."

Source: PR Newswire (http://s.tt/1dbQd)

Last edited by AZuser; 06-01-2012 at 06:44 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by AZuser:
PortlandRL (06-02-2012), ttribe (06-01-2012)
Old 06-01-2012, 06:46 PM
_

But yeah... US sales are still stagnating.
Old 06-02-2012, 02:44 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by AZuser
But yeah... US sales are still stagnating.
Combined sales of Honda/Acura is still more than Kia/Hyundai combine.
The funny thing is that last year Elantra/Sonata combined sales were 42k. THis year they are 38k. how on earth production fell for the mainstream vehicle. Brand is definitely stagnating despite being newer line up.
New Altima/Sentra will have very negative impact on Korean brands.
Old 06-02-2012, 09:35 AM
אני עומד עם ישראל

^ as recently as 5 years ago would you say Hyundai/Kia wouldn't even be considered in the same arena as HondAcura? Well guess what, they are now.
Old 06-02-2012, 09:37 AM
אני עומד עם ישראל

Weren't the sales goals for the Equus something like 2k a year? Through May they are at 1,600.

What's Honda's flagship selling at? 192 through May.
Old 06-02-2012, 01:36 PM
Race Director

It's semantics - both Acura and Lexus shut down production of the RL and HS in January this year. Lexus admitted that they are cancelling the HS (even though in reality it's being replaced by the ES hybrid). Acura is not admitting that the RL is cancelled and says it's being replaced by the RLX.
Old 06-02-2012, 03:08 PM
Safety Car

Weren't the sales goals for the Equus something like 2k a year? Through May they are at 1,600.

What's Honda's flagship selling at? 192 through May.
Honda is selling V6 flagship at V6 prices with 8 year old tech with mid size cabin. That 6speed auto& non-DI engine is 8 year old tech for flagships.

Hyundai is selling V8 flag ship with V6 prices and 2012 tech.

when you have almost $8k discount on Genesis V8. just imagine size of discount on Eqqus.

http://www.stevenscreekhyundai.com/weekly-specials.cfm
Old 06-02-2012, 03:19 PM
Safety Car

^ as recently as 5 years ago would you say Hyundai/Kia wouldn't even be considered in the same arena as HondAcura? Well guess what, they are now.
Hyundai/Kia models have much shorter refresh cycles. so sales have boost for short term. but once Nissan and Honda updates there models. they will have very negative effect on Hyundai-Kia.
THat new Sentra will sent Elantra to bottom. THere is new PathFinder.
for example. Infiniti JX has one full month 2700 sales. Kia-Hyundai will have hard time this level of sales at this price range from new SUV with single engine option. single engine with standard transmission is much cheaper to built. Kia-Hyundai are followers for segments other creates. forget about anything creating even remotely capable like Infinit QX. They are selling it at close 1000 a month at prices higher than Eqqus.
Old 06-02-2012, 04:32 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
They sent ~1 per dealer on the 'official' launch date. The rest of the cars were shipped later. I know we're different, but we haven't received our first batch to sell yet (due 6/7). We should receive 4 base, 4 Premium and 3 Tech. There might be 1 manual and 1 hybrid also.
Old 06-02-2012, 04:45 PM
אני עומד עם ישראל

Honda is selling V6 flagship at V6 prices with 8 year old tech with mid size cabin. That 6speed auto& non-DI engine is 8 year old tech for flagships.

Hyundai is selling V8 flag ship with V6 prices and 2012 tech.

when you have almost $8k discount on Genesis V8. just imagine size of discount on Eqqus.

http://www.stevenscreekhyundai.com/weekly-specials.cfm
Listen clown the fact is they are still selling. You gave me a link to a weekly special for a dealer down the street from me. All dealers run these types of ads, but yet the car we are talking about the EQUUS is not even listed.
Hyundai/Kia models have much shorter refresh cycles. so sales have boost for short term. but once Nissan and Honda updates there models. they will have very negative effect on Hyundai-Kia.
THat new Sentra will sent Elantra to bottom. THere is new PathFinder.
for example. Infiniti JX has one full month 2700 sales. Kia-Hyundai will have hard time this level of sales at this price range from new SUV with single engine option. single engine with standard transmission is much cheaper to built. Kia-Hyundai are followers for segments other creates. forget about anything creating even remotely capable like Infinit QX. They are selling it at close 1000 a month at prices higher than Eqqus.
Once again clown, they are selling and at record numbers. Once again clown, the point being made was even 5 years ago it was unthinkable for Hyundai/Kia to be seen in the same arena as HondAcura. Got it clown?

I thought you were on the making fun of Honda kick lately and switch allegiances to Nissan (which you did), but it looks like you'll still place Honda above Hyundai since it is too recent in our memories for you to switch. Mark my words you will troll once again. They aren't stagnating is what everyone is trying to say and you still won't admit it.

Read this clown, you may change your views once and for all http://blog.caranddriver.com/why-hon...deep-thoughts/

Stage 3 is denial clown
Old 06-02-2012, 07:32 PM

Combined sales of Honda/Acura is still more than Kia/Hyundai combine.
The funny thing is that last year Elantra/Sonata combined sales were 42k. THis year they are 38k. how on earth production fell for the mainstream vehicle. Brand is definitely stagnating despite being newer line up.
New Altima/Sentra will have very negative impact on Korean brands.
Keep beatin' the drum. Someday, you might actually convince one other person of this tripe; bringing the total to 2, including yourself.
Old 06-02-2012, 11:03 PM
Safety Car

Listen clown the fact is they are still selling. You gave me a link to a weekly special for a dealer down the street from me. All dealers run these types of ads, but yet the car we are talking about the EQUUS is not even listed.
Equus wont be any different.

Once again clown, they are selling and at record numbers. Once again clown, the point being made was even 5 years ago it was unthinkable for Hyundai/Kia to be seen in the same arena as HondAcura. Got it clown?
well low prices and higher content with 10 year warranty and with repeated refresh. for example TSX start selling with 5speed auto in 2003 and it is still selling with 5speed auto.
Genesis started with 6speed and now jumped to 8speed with DI engine.
Honda simply not giving new tech.
show me sales of single Kia-Hyundai that has risen without major upgrades?. CRV has same engine and transmission. THere is no turbo like Sportage in CRV.
I thought you were on the making fun of Honda kick lately and switch allegiances to Nissan (which you did), but it looks like you'll still place Honda above Hyundai since it is too recent in our memories for you to switch. Mark my words you will troll once again. They aren't stagnating is what everyone is trying to say and you still won't admit it.

Read this clown, you may change your views once and for all http://blog.caranddriver.com/why-hon...deep-thoughts/

Stage 3 is denial clown
nope. I am not in denial. Kia-Hyundai has already put all the cards on deck in terms of technology and hybrids and we have seen there sales figures and fact they cannot launch premium brand. There whole strategy revolves around giving more for less.
by end of this year. Both Sonata, Optima and Elantra will be some where at the bottom of there pack.
Old 06-02-2012, 11:10 PM
אני עומד עם ישראל

LOL @ going toe to toe with the troll
Laughing at myself right now. Not gonna do it! Back on ignore you go......
Old 06-04-2012, 10:00 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,400 Likes on 704 Posts
Lightbulb Incentives

Average U.S. per-vehicle incentives from auto makers increased 3.9% in May after hitting a near-7-year low in the prior month, according to car-shopping website Edmunds.com.

Edmunds.com reported the average true cost of incentives per vehicle was $2,135, up from $2,055 in April and up 0.6% from $2,122 a year earlier.

"It's likely that incentives will continue a slow but steady rise in the coming months," said Edmunds Senior Analyst Jessica Caldwell. "There will be bigger discounts available on 2012 models through the summer to help dealers clear the way for incoming 2013 models. In fact, 2013 models already account for about 6.5% of new car sales."

U.S. auto maker Ford Motor Co. F -0.79% reported the biggest month-over-month increase in incentives, up 9.3%. Japanese auto maker Nissan Motor Co. (NSANY, 7201.TO) posted the 2nd-highest month-to-month increase in incentive spending, with a 9% increase. Edmunds.com said both Ford and Nissan's increases are corrective measures after the 2 auto makers slashed incentive spending in April and suffered hits to their market shares as a result.

Incentive spending at Chrysler Group LLC and General Motors Co. GM -4.04% rose 1.3% and 2.3%, respectively. Toyota Motor Corp. (TM, 7203.TO) reported a 6.1% sequential increase.

Honda Motor Co. (HMC, 7267.TO) was the only auto maker to see a sequential decline incentive spending, reporting a 1.3% decrease.

Edmunds.com's monthly incentives report takes into account all auto makers' various U.S. incentives programs and bases its calculations on sales volume as well as the proportion of vehicles for which each type of incentive was used.

PHP Code:
Average True Cost of Incentives® (TCISMby Car Manufacturer
Manufacturer     May
-12     Apr-12     May-11     May 2012 vs Apr 2012     May 2012 vs May 2011
Chrysler     
$2,567     $2,535     $2,400     1.3%     7.0%
Ford     $2,594     $2,373     $2,475     9.3%     4.8%
GM     $3,417     $3,339     $3,245     2.3%     5.3%
Honda     $1,207     $1,223     $983     -1.3%     22.8%
Nissan     $2,260     $2,073     $2,221     9.0%     1.8%
Toyota     $1,458     $1,374     $1,250     6.1%     16.6%
Industry     $2,135     $2,055     $2,122     3.9%     0.6
Old 06-04-2012, 01:10 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Originally Posted by AZuser
My bad... Here's the US Hyundai Press Release. It came out 3 hours after the Canada one.

Hyundai Motor America Reports Best-Ever May Sales
Thank you, that makes way more sense.....am I seeing a slight decline in the Elantra?

Quick Reply: Monthly Car Sales news