Mercedes-Benz: C-Class News

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2014, 05:44 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,273 Likes on 3,050 Posts
Originally Posted by iforyou
hahaha well the Mazda3 looks pretty darn good next to the CLA based on your photos!

I think the interior DESIGN of the CLA is pretty nice. I'm a big fan of it actually. Classy and sporty at the same time. However when I sat in one, the materials were not as high quality as I thought.
Of course. You have to understand it is a car that starts at $29995. So naturally the $50k CLA will share more than half of the interior pieces with its cheapest model.

But to say Mazda 3 interior is better? that is stretching it. Door panel and dash are all leather in the CLA 45. There is really no leather anywhere except for the seat in the Mazda.
Old 06-16-2014, 12:38 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 841 Likes on 524 Posts
Hmmm not sure about the US, but here in Canada, the CLA45 comes standard with Artico, not real leather. Some like it, some don't.
Old 06-16-2014, 01:23 PM
I'm the Firestarter

Received 744 Likes on 448 Posts
Originally Posted by oonowindoo
I understand the build quality (fit, finish and etc...)

What do you guys mean by better materials? I can understand the babycow skin in the bently or whatever exotic materials put in the car. but for a mass produced car, plastic is plastic, they all feel the same to me. Some of them are painted and some of them are black and in my case Piano black plastic, looks nice but still feels like plastic.

Metal feels like metal...

I dont really understand what is a better material?
All plastics are not created equal. There are various types, various grades, foams, etc. The cheapest stuff is harder, shinier, and devoid of texture. The most expensive stuff has very fine grain, is matte, and soft to the touch.

The CLA I sat in had a base interior and a sport package exterior. There were lots of obvious places where hard, plain plastics were used. The base low-res LCD looks terrible, both in terms of graphics and the size and quality of the plastic used for the border (think $100 Android tablet). The Mazda 3 I sat in was the high-end GT, but still far cheaper than the CLA. The materials in places like buttons and arm rests seemed like it had richer plastics in many places. I can't tell you specifically which bits and pieces now, but sitting in the Merc I was surprised by how low grade it seemed, and sitting in the Mazda I was surprised by how nice it was (I have an Audi S-Line and that's what I'm comparing to). The LCD in the Mazda has a bigger screen, smaller bevel, better more fluid graphics etc.

It's possible that if you pay for some upgraded interior in the CLA they replace some of the cheapest parts with better stuff. I haven't seen such an interior yet. I also sat in the the new A3 and the materials seemed pretty good, noticeably better than the CLA. To me it just seems like Mercedes cut a lot of costs in the interior.
Old 06-16-2014, 02:53 PM
Team Owner

See that is the problem.

You are comparing a fully loaded Economy car vs a base German car. Then the fully loaded Econ car is gonna win every time.

For example, Accord touring V6, Maxima, Avalon, even Camry, Mazda 6, and 3 fully loaded is gonna be nicer than a 320i base, CLA or A4 base models. The comparison is not even going to be close.

For example, the base 3 series with the standard 5" or 6" screen. That screen is worse than $100 tablet. But at least it is standard. Now if you get the Navi that has the 8.8" with blackout panels, which has probably one of the most clear resolution on the market with wide screen.

It s like comparing 2014 Samsung/Sony LED vs 2000 LCD.

Like you said, that CLA was a base model. So a base model is a base model regardless if it is a tier 1 car or a economy car. They all need to make room for packages and higher trims.

It is never going to be a fair comparison between fully loaded econ car vs. base luxury German car. The customer bases are completely different. fully loaded econo box buyers will never buy a base model 3 series and base model 3 series buyers will not even consider a Mazda 6 or Accord regardless how nice it might be.
Old 06-16-2014, 03:03 PM
I'm the Firestarter

See that is the problem.

You are comparing a fully loaded Economy car vs a base German car. Then the fully loaded Econ car is gonna win every time.
The base Mazda 3 has the same LCD and the same plastic bits. I'm almost certain that even on the top of the line CLA some of cheap bits have to remain (e.g. buttons, lower dash material). The fact that they lose in subjective quality vs. a base Mazda is Mercedes' problem, not Mazda's. And I don't agree that it HAS to be that way. Audi doesn't lose against a base Mazda. Their LCD and plastics are better than Mazda and the car costs the same as a CLA.

So what I'm saying is, don't buy a CLA, at least if you don't want a cheap interior.
Old 06-16-2014, 03:25 PM
Team Owner

I dont know how you can tell the difference between A4, CLA and 320 interior. They all look and feel cheap to me equally.

Every A4 and Q5 i have sat in (they were not base models), the interior is really Meh to me. It is not the worst but there was really nothing great about it.

Tiny little Navi screen with 1000 buttons in Audi.

I don't think anyone buys CLA250 for its interior. 99% of them is because it is a Mercedes

and i dont think anyone buys CLA45 for its interior either, 99% of them is because it is fuking fast and it is an AMG.
Old 06-16-2014, 03:53 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,568 Likes on 985 Posts
I dont know how you can tell the difference between A4, CLA and 320 interior. They all look and feel cheap to me equally.

Every A4 and Q5 i have sat in (they were not base models), the interior is really Meh to me. It is not the worst but there was really nothing great about it.

Tiny little Navi screen with 1000 buttons in Audi.
The Audi interior is really six years old. At the time it was the best in class but the class below it has improved so much that the Audi doesn't feel special anymore. I remember sitting in a S5 at the DC Car Show in 2009 and being blown away by how much better it was than my 2005 S4. Now, it's still very nice but it's not good enough.
Old 06-16-2014, 03:54 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Honest question.

Shouldn't a $30k Audi be nicer than a $28K Mazda? Why do you have to spend $50k to get a proper interior? The extra cost should be from electronics and a bigger engine. Otherwise it's just badgewhoring and I don't know that I'd spend $30k on an A3 that was really worse than a $30k Fusion.
Old 06-18-2014, 06:15 AM
I'm the Firestarter

And that's why some companies can get away with cheaper interiors.

Did you go to an Audi dealer lately, have you sat down in an A4? You'll find all low-gloss materials and satin-finished buttons that are cold to the touch. You will not see the same level of materials on the CLA. Even the Lexus IS has plastics almost everywhere the A4 has metal bits.

Try an S-Line model especially since they add a few nice bits (not sure what the difference is on the latest models but on mine the S-Line replaced plastic fake aluminum with real brushed aluminum trim, alcantara on the seats and a black headliner.

I don't think anyone buys CLA250 for its interior. 99% of them is because it is a Mercedes
Then those people should buy a Mercedes.

and i dont think anyone buys CLA45 for its interior either, 99% of them is because it is fuking fast and it is an AMG.
I agree but that's a completely different price range.

Originally Posted by charliemike
Honest question.

Shouldn't a $30k Audi be nicer than a $28K Mazda? Why do you have to spend $50k to get a proper interior? The extra cost should be from electronics and a bigger engine. Otherwise it's just badgewhoring and I don't know that I'd spend $30k on an A3 that was really worse than a $30k Fusion.
The $30k Audi might still have Quattro, brakes that are twice the size of the Mazda's, more sound deadening, a finished trunk, doors that go "thunk" instead of "clang", etc. I agree with you on buying stripper base models, but the German cars have more under the skin to begin with so to offer the cheapest possible entry price they have to cut down on stuff like real aluminum trim panels. That stuff is way more expensive to make than plastic.
Old 06-18-2014, 06:40 AM
Fahrvergnügen'd

It would be an interesting comparison. The A3 is FWD at $29,900 with the 1.8T.

If car mags had balls they would compare based on price to show what made more sense - the loaded Mazda or the base German.
Old 06-18-2014, 09:34 AM
I'm Craig

Received 299 Likes on 207 Posts
Honest question.

Precisely why I went with the Fusion Ti over the MB CLA250. More bang for your buck. Its subjective. Some people value the badge more. Nothing wrong with doing so, just not my cup of tea.
Old 06-18-2014, 12:31 PM
Team Owner

Honest question.

That question can be asked in pretty much every market, not just cars.

Luxury brand of anything vs. the cheaper alternatives.

But if you really dig deep, other than the brand, there are a lot of things that a $30k Audi has that $28k Mazda does not.

#1. You know you will feel better driving the Audi than a Mazda. It is human nature.
#2. the built quality (not reliability) is significantly better
#3. The way the car drives (not speed) will also feel significantly more "solid" than Japanese cars.

i can list a lot more but i dont wanna sound like a Anti-Japanese cars person.
Old 06-18-2014, 01:26 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

It would be an interesting comparison. The A3 is FWD at $29,900 with the 1.8T.

If car mags had balls they would compare based on price to show what made more sense - the loaded Mazda or the base German.
Would be interesting to see that kind of comparison tests.

Car and Driver did something similar:
http://blog.caranddriver.com/the-que...ase-throwdown/

They did not declare any winner for each comparison.

It's really hard to declare a winner or say which car makes more sense. If you want the most features for your money, the Mazda 3 fully loaded makes more sense. If you want German engineering with a luxury badge, then the base A3 makes sense.
Old 06-18-2014, 02:21 PM
Team Owner

yup.

You can't really say "Why would anyone get XXX over XXX" in this case when they are not really in the same category.
Old 08-26-2014, 05:14 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,854 Likes on 14,002 Posts
Post Mercedes C450 AMG Sport

From here: http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...roit-auto-show

Mercedes-Benz will soon have an answer for Audi’s S line and BMW’s M Performance range, as the automaker from Stuttgart is set to announce a new ‘AMG Sport’ trim that will help bridge the gap between the most powerful non-AMG models and those actually built by the Affalterbach tuner. The first AMG Sport model will be based on the latest C-Class but others based on the CLA-, E- and GLK-Class models are in the pipeline.

According to Automotive News (subscription required), we’ll get our first look at the new C-Class AMG Sport model, expected to be badged a C450 AMG Sport, at the 2015 Detroit Auto Show in January. That’s just two months after the expected reveal of Mercedes’ new C63 AMG at the 2014 Los Angeles Auto Show.

While the new C63 AMG will get a unique engine, in this case AMG’s M178 twin-turbo 4.0-liter V-8, the C450 AMG Sport is expected to share an engine with the current C400. That engine is a turbocharged 3.0-liter V-6, which is rated at 329 horsepower and 354 pound-feet of torque. Expect slightly more oomph for the C450 AMG Sport—possibly as much as 367 hp.

The C450 AMG Sport will also likely be offered with 4MATIC all-wheel drive, helping to further distinguish it from the C63 AMG which is expected to come exclusively with rear-wheel drive—at least initially. Other enhancements for the C450 AMG Sport will be AMG-spec light alloys, uprated brakes, and some styling mods.
Old 08-26-2014, 06:59 PM
Team Owner

good.

But M sport cost $3000... how much is this AMG sport going to cost?
Old 08-27-2014, 08:27 AM

Received 5,485 Likes on 3,744 Posts
So it's the current 'sport' package with a bit more power & upgraded brakes?
Not downing it, think it's a great idea since BWM & Audi have similar.
Old 08-27-2014, 01:15 PM
Team Owner

If the reported #s are true, i can't call 40hp bump is a "a bit more power"

i am sure there are more cosmetic upgrade in addition to power and brake.
Old 09-19-2014, 12:26 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 69 Likes on 55 Posts
worldcarfans C63 AMG successor

Mercedes has announced the C63 AMG successor "will further raise the bar in terms of performance and fuel consumption."
The company declined to go into specifics but confirmed the model will feature a V8 engine that is "closely related" to the twin-turbo 4.0-liter V8 that resides in the AMG GT. Mercedes is keeping performance specifications under wraps but the entry-level AMG GT produces 462 PS (339 kW) and 600 Nm (442 lb-ft) of torque, while the AMG GT S boasts 510 PS (375 kW) and 650 Nm (479 lb-ft) of torque.
In a statement, AMG CEO Tobias Moers said "It goes without saying that the successor to the current C 63 AMG will again be powered by an eight-cylinder engine. We owe that to our loyal fans, plain and simple." Moers went on to say "The AMG V8 Biturbo engine mesmerizes not only with maximum power and torque, but also with the absolute best fuel economy in the comparative segment“.
Old 09-19-2014, 09:17 AM
Three Wheelin'

Motorauthority

Mercedes-Benz has confirmed that its new C63 AMG will be powered by a version of the M178 twin-turbocharged 4.0-liter V-8 debuting in the 2016 Mercedes-AMG GT sports car, and that in the C-Class-based sledgehammer the engine will deliver up to 503 horsepower and 516 pound-feet of torque. For those at home counting, the hp figure matches the output of the more potent GT S sports car but the torque figure is actually 37 lb-ft higher!

This output will likely be reserved for a new C63 AMG S model, with the stock C63 AMG previously reported to be delivering about 470 hp. By comparison, the 2015 BMW M3 is rated at just 425 hp while the 2015 Lexus RC F makes do with 467 hp.

Rear-wheel drive and a seven-speed dual-clutch transmission are expected to be standard across the new C63 AMG range. And once again there will be sedan, wagon and coupe bodystyles. We’ve also been told that an even more potent Black Series model is planned.

But the story doesn’t end there. In addition to class-leading output, the new C63 AMG is also promised to have the best fuel economy in the segment. Mercedes says the engine will be good for 28.6 mpg on the European combined cycle, although it should be noted that EPA-rated fuel economy tends to be lower than the European figures.

A debut of the new C63 AMG is scheduled to take place later this year, either at the 2014 Paris Auto Show on October 2 or at the 2014 Los Angeles Auto Show the following month.

"The AMG V-8 biturbo engine mesmerizes not only with maximum power and torque, but also with the absolute best fuel economy in the comparative segment,“ AMG chief Tobias Moers said in a statement. "It goes without saying that the successor to the current C63 AMG will again be powered by an eight-cylinder engine—we owe that to our loyal fans, plain and simple."
Old 09-23-2014, 04:21 PM
Three Wheelin'

Mercedes C AMG revealed

Autocar

Mercedes-Benz’s AMG performance car operation has revealed the new C63 super-saloon.

The BMW M3 rival will be offered with a similar power ouput to the company’s recently unveiled GT sports car, with which it effectively shares its engine, when it arrives in UK dealerships early next year. Order books for the model open next month.

The new car, officially named Mercedes-AMG C63, will be begin deliveries in saloon guise from February and in estate form from April, with sleeker coupé and cabriolet variants planned for introduction by the end of next year as part of a four-strong model line-up.

The C63 is the second model to adopt AMG’s new twin-turbocharged V8 petrol engine, which receives a fresh M177 codename in this latest incarnation owing to a lack of dry sump oil scavenging among other detail changes that differentiate it from the M178-designated unit used by the GT.

In line with the recent new model strategy at AMG, the 4.0-litre unit is being offered in two differing outputs, depending on model.

In keeping with the downsizing trend evident across the Mercedes-Benz line-up of late, the new engine gives away a considerable 2226cc in swept volume to the naturally aspirated 6.2-litre engine that has powered the C63 since its introduction in 2007. Despite this, AMG’s latest model packs more power and torque than its direct predecessor.

In the new C63, the M177 engine delivers 469bhp at 5500rpm and 479lb ft between 1750 and 6250rpm – respective 18bhp and 37lb ft increases on the old model’s peaks of 451bhp and 442lb ft.

With added turbocharger boost pressure and dynamic engine mounts, the downsized AMG engine endows the new C63 S with an even more potent 503bhp at the same 5500rpm along with 516lb ft from 1750 to 6250rpm, giving it 23bhp and 74lb ft more than the old C63 equipped with the optional Performance Package. It is also more than the previous limited volume C63 Edition 507, which had 500bhp and 450lb ft.

By comparison, its keenest four-door performance rival, the newly introduced fifth-generation BMW M3, offers 425bhp at 5500rpm and 405lb ft from its twin-turbocharged 3.0-litre, in-line six-cylinder petrol engine. Among the five-door estate competition is the Audi RS4 Avant, whose naturally aspirated 4.2-litre V8 delivers 444bhp and 317lb ft.

With a kerb weight some 15kg below that of its predecessor at 1640kg in saloon guise, the new C63’s power-to-weight ratio has risen by 14bhp per tonne over its direct predecessor to 286bhp per tonne.

The C63 S saloon tips the scales at the same kerb weight as the old model at 1655kg, giving it an even sharper 304bhp per tonne, or 14bhp more than the car it replaces in the line-up.

Channelling the sturdy reserves to the rear wheels is an updated version of AMG’s seven-speed Speedshift MCT automatic gearbox.

Combined with remote steering wheel-mounted aluminium shift paddles, it offers the driver the choice of up to five different modes via a so-called AMG Dynamic Select programme: C (controlled efficiency), S (sport), S+ (sport plus) and, exclusively in the C63 S, R (race).

An additional manual mode can be accessed via the shift paddles, although the gearbox is programmed to revert back to full automatic operation for improved fuel economy savings.

AMG’s official performance claims reveal that the C63 saloon has taken a significant step forward in terms of straight-line speed with a 0-62mph time that undercuts its predecessor by 0.4sec at just 4.1sec – the same figure BMW quotes for its latest M3 in automatic form.

In estate guise the new C63 hits the traditional acceleration benchmark in a claimed 4.2sec – some 0.5sec inside the time Audi claims for the RS4 Avant. The C63 S is marginally quicker, with respective times of 4.0sec and 4.1sec for the saloon and estate. The top speed for all models is limited to 155mph.

Despite early rumours suggesting that AMG would follow the example of the latest E63 and S63 by providing the new C63 with optional 4Matic four-wheel drive, it is not available on the launch models.

As well as establishing lofty new performance benchmarks, the new C63 also boasts class-leading economy, according to Mercedes-Benz’s official claims. Combined cycle fuel consumption has improved by 11.0mpg over the outgoing model to 34.5mpg, allied to average CO2 emissions of 192g/km. The C63 S is marginally thirstier with figures of 33.6mpg and 195g/km.

The C63 rides on a heavily upgraded version of the standard C-class suspension, complete with three-stage adaptive damping as part of AMG’s Sport Ride Control system.

Among the detail changes over its standard sibling is a wider front track, unique rear wheel bearings offering greater negative camber for improved traction, firmer springs and dampers, altered bushing and a 25mm reduction in ride height.

In a move mirroring that of the GT, the standard C63 receives a mechanical locking differential, while the C63 S gets a more responsive electronically controlled locking differential.

As is now common place on AMG models, the electronic stability control system offers three settings: ESP On, Sport handling mode and ESP off.

The car’s exterior sports plenty of AMG styling cues. Included is a unique front bumper housing a trio of large air ducts and a reworked grille sporting a small AMG insigina. The front wings are subtly widened and receive indents behind the wheel arches with V8 BiTurbo badges mounted on either side. The sills have also been beefed up.

The C63 rides on standard 8.5x18in front and 9.5x18in rear 10-spoke alloy wheels shod with 245/40 front and 265/40 rear rubber. The C63 S sports larger 8.5x19in front and 9.5x19in rear wheels in a five-spoke design with 245/35 front and 265/35 tyres.

Inside, the standard C-class front seats have been replaced by a set of thinly padded AMG sports seats as well as a flat-bottomed multi-function AMG steering wheel, unique instrument graphics, stainless steel-faced pedals and AMG-specific trims.

Optional upgrades include carbon-ceramic brake discs and a performance exhaust system which features a flap that opens in three steps dependant on the gearbox mode the driver chooses.

Pricing is yet to be revealed, though it will remain under £60,000, meaning only a small increase over the £58,475 of today’s car. The estate will command a premium of around £1000, while the more potent S versions will cost around £6000 more than the standard specification models.
Old 09-23-2014, 04:23 PM
Three Wheelin'

Name:  2014-09-24001108.jpg
Views: 227
Size:  75.0 KB
Name:  2014-09-24001126.jpg
Views: 250
Size:  72.6 KB
Name:  2014-09-24001224.jpg
Views: 222
Size:  64.8 KB
Name:  2014-09-24001154.jpg
Views: 234
Size:  81.1 KB
Name:  2014-09-24001144.jpg
Views: 231
Size:  84.7 KB
Name:  2014-09-24001053.jpg
Views: 236
Size:  77.4 KB
Old 09-23-2014, 04:27 PM
Team Owner

are you Yummy's Intern?
Old 09-24-2014, 12:33 AM
Three Wheelin'

who? me?...
Old 09-24-2014, 01:20 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 10,589 Likes on 5,366 Posts
looks like a mini-E63. nicely done, I like it a lot.
Old 09-24-2014, 01:23 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 10,589 Likes on 5,366 Posts
The following 4 users liked this post by srika:
charliemike (09-24-2014), crazyasiantl (09-25-2014), JS + XES (09-24-2014), RPhilMan1 (09-24-2014)
Old 09-24-2014, 11:01 AM
n00b

Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by krio
Old 09-24-2014, 01:07 PM
I drive a Subata.

Received 2,603 Likes on 1,571 Posts
This car looks insane! The wagon is just MMMMMM.

2015 Mercedes-AMG C63 packs up to 503 hp, arrives in March - Autoblog

Old 09-25-2014, 09:53 PM
Senior Moderator

Post 2015 Mercedes-AMG C 63

Press release...

Pure fascination and breathtaking dynamics – the new Mercedes-AMG C 63 sets benchmarks. The high-tech drive, the signature AMG handling and the high level of individuality in equipment choices guarantee an utterly unique driving experience. The top model in the C-Class line-up is driven by a 4.0-litre V8 biturbo engine closely related to the power unit that provides breathtaking propulsion in the Mercedes-AMG GT. The power spectrum ranges from 350 kW (476 hp) in the C 63 to 375 kW (510 hp) in the C 63 S. With an unrivalled fuel consumption figure of just 8.2 litres per 100 kilometres (NEDC combined), the C 63 is the most fuel-efficient eight-cylinder car in the high-performance segment. The extensive range of standard equipment includes the AMG RIDE CONTROL sports suspension with electronically controlled shock absorbers, the mechanical rear locking differential and the AMG DYNAMIC SELECT drive programmes. The highly exclusive “Edition 1” is available from market launch.

Dynamics plus long-distance comfort – as a sports saloon and high-performance estate car, the new Mercedes-AMG C 63 offers compelling engine data with exceptionally low consumption figures, outstanding longitudinal and lateral dynamics and a high level of everyday usability. The interior and exterior design is more distinctive than ever before.

The V8 top model in the C-Class is available in a choice of four variants – the saloon and the estate are both offered as the Mercedes-AMG C 63 S and C 63, with the C 63 S set up for even more dynamic handling and performance. The Mercedes-AMG C 63 celebrates its world premiere on 2 October 2014 together with the show premiere of the Mercedes-AMG GT at the Salon de l’Automobile in Paris. Market introduction begins in February 2015 with the more powerful C 63 S Saloon with 375 kW (510 hp). The C 63 with 350 kW (476 hp) and the C 63 S Estate will follow in April 2015.

“We are also marking the beginning of a new era with the new nomenclature. The successor to the Mercedes-Benz C 63 AMG, which has been incredibly successful worldwide, will now be called the Mercedes-AMG C 63,” says Tobias Moers, CEO of Mercedes-AMG GmbH. “At 40,000 units, the 204 C 63 AMG was the bestselling AMG model. We will now add to this success with the new Mercedes-AMG C 63. Be it in drive, handling or equipment, the Mercedes-AMG C 63 sets new benchmarks and will further strengthen our brand promise ‘Driving Performance’. AMG customers can look forward to an exceptionally dynamic driving experience.”

Best in fuel consumption, best in performance

The C 63 is at the forefront of the competitive field. The new high-performance vehicles from Affalterbach are the only ones in the segment to be equipped with an eight-cylinder biturbo engine. The result is sporty power delivery and a highly emotional engine sound – a signature of the AMG brand. Drivers benefit from unrivalled performance delivered by a supreme level of power and torque. The C 63 S accelerates from zero to 100 km/h in 4.0 seconds and the C 63 in 4.1 seconds (Estate: 4.1 and 4.2 seconds respectively). The top speed is 250 km/h (electronically limited). Power-to-weight ratios of 3.4 kg/hp (C 63 S) and 3.6 kg/hp (C 63) likewise put the new AMG V8 top models at the head of the rankings.

“Naturally, the new Mercedes-AMG C 63 is once again powered by an eight-cylinder engine. The passionate power delivery and highly emotional sound of our 4.0-litre V8 biturbo are truly compelling. At the same time, we are maintaining our leading role in the core issue of efficiency. No other high-performance V8 automobile is more fuel efficient than the new C 63,” says Christian Enderle, Head of Development Engine and Drivetrain at Mercedes‑AMG GmbH.

The C 63 not only holds the top position in terms of engine data and performance, it also sets new benchmarks in fuel consumption. With a figure of 8.2 litres per 100 kilometres (NEDC combined, equating to 192 CO2 g/km), the high-performance car from Affalterbach demonstrates exceptional efficiency that puts it at the top of the segment. And it does not stop there – the C 63 is the most fuel-efficient eight-cylinder, high-performance vehicle in the world. It achieves a remarkable decrease in fuel consumption compared with the preceding C 63 AMG. The new Mercedes-AMG C 63 consumes around 32 percent less fuel than its direct predecessor with the 6.3-litre V8 naturally aspirated engine – while delivering even more performance and the emotional sound that is a signature of the AMG V8.

New V8 biturbo closely related to the engine in the Mercedes-AMG GT

This impressive efficiency improvement is rooted in the new drive package. The M177 4.0-litre V8 biturbo engine, the newest member of the BlueDIRECT engine family, is a close relative of the M178, which is the sports-car heart of the new Mercedes-AMG GT. The innovative eight-cylinder is notable for its outstanding power delivery, targeted lightweight design, high efficiency and environmental compatibility. It also fulfils the highest standards in terms of noise and vibration comfort.

The newly developed eight-cylinder features biturbocharging, whereby the two chargers are not located on the outside of the cylinder banks, but instead, within the cylinder V – specialists refer to this as the “hot inside V”. The benefits are compact engine dimensions, optimum responsiveness and low exhaust emissions.

Petrol piezo direct injection with spray-guided combustion

Mixture preparation is handled by the petrol piezo direct injection system used exclusively by Mercedes. The third generation of the spray-guided combustion process has been developed to meet all future legislative requirements. The highly efficient and clean 4.0-litre V8 biturbo engine fulfils the Euro 6 emissions standard, including the rules pertaining to maximum particulate emissions that do not come into effect until 2016. A sophisticated engine cooling system ensures high performance even at ambitious race-track speeds.

Performance exhaust system available as an option

Fascination, emotionality and immediate recognition – engine sound is an important development objective. The C 63 and C 63 S feature a sports exhaust system with exhaust flap. Depending on the AMG DYNAMIC SELECT drive programme, the engine sound varies between low-key for long-distance travel and raw emotionality. The exhaust flap is located in the front third, at the interface between the two pipes. Its infinitely variable actuation is controlled on the basis of the drive programme, performance wishes of the driver and engine speed.

A Performance exhaust system with three switchable exhaust flaps is available as an option for both engine variants. It provides the driver with an even greater spread. In the “Comfort” drive programme, the engine is quieter and more comfortable, while, in “Sport +” and “Race”, the V8 sound is even more dominant and evocative of a race touring car – complete with acoustic up-shift and distinctive double de-clutching feedback. In addition to setting it via the drive programme, the engine sound can also be set individually at any time at the push of a button.

C 63 S comes as standard with dynamic engine mounts

A further new feature of the C 63 S that is unique in the competitive field is the dynamic engine mounts – as used on the Mercedes-AMG GT. They address the conflict of interest between comfort and handling by reducing vibration from the engine/transmission unit. The dynamic mounts can adapt their stiffness smoothly and in fractions of a second to the prevailing driving conditions and style. Soft engine mounts improve comfort by better decoupling noise and vibration. Handling and agility, on the other hand, benefit from slightly stiffer mounts. When driving dynamically, the driver feels more closely connected to the vehicle as a result of increased feedback, while steering response is more direct. The driver benefits overall from a more precise driving feel. Minimized movement of the drivetrain mass calls for less correction on turn-in.

Engine production by hand – “one man, one engine”

Powerful V8 engines have always been one of the competencies of AMG, the Mercedes-Benz performance brand. Mercedes-AMG GmbH is fully responsible for development and production. The 4.0-litre V8 biturbo engine is manufactured in the Affalterbach engine shop in accordance with the “one man, one engine” principle.

Variable dynamics – the AMG SPEEDSHIFT MCT 7-speed sport transmission

A large part of the direct and sporty character of the new Mercedes-AMG C 63 is attributable to the transmission. The AMG SPEEDSHIFT MCT 7-speed sport transmission offers a compelling mix of tailor-made dynamics and exceptional variability. The MCT transmission was extensively redeveloped for application in the C 63 and is now even faster in its reaction times.

Be it automatic or triggered at the steering wheel paddle by the driver, a manual up or down-shift is now noticeably faster than in the last model. The transmission is now significantly more spontaneous in the “Sport +” and manual modes in particular. This increase in responsiveness was enabled by optimisation of the transmission’s hardware and software. Also, the aluminium shift paddles on the Performance steering wheel are now able to transmit the driver’s shift inputs even faster than before, thus further increasing the dynamic feel.

One look at the drive programmes shows the high variability of the AMG SPEEDSHIFT MCT 7-speed sport transmission. The available choices are “Controlled Efficiency”, “Sport” and “Sport +” – as well as “Race”, which is exclusive to the C 63 S. The driver chooses from the various drive programmes with the aid of the AMG DYNAMIC SELECT switch. The “temporary M” function, activated by using the paddles, delivers a further increase in dynamics.

AMG RIDE CONTROL sport suspension with 3-stage adjustable damping

Fascinating agility, high cornering speeds and optimum neutrality – the C 63 is equipped with independent suspension featuring a high proportion of aluminium, dynamic-oriented kinematics, electronically controlled shock absorbers and AMG-specific elastokinematics. With the AMG RIDE CONTROL sport suspension, the customer can vary characteristics in three stages between maximum sporting performance and good long-distance comfort.

At the front of the C 63 is a four-link front suspension with motorsport-based radially mounted brakes. Independent steering knuckles and a wider track permit higher lateral acceleration. The multilink rear suspension with independent wheel mounts likewise has a higher negative camber. To improve traction and dynamics, the C 63 has a mechanical locking differential at the rear, while the C 63 S is equipped with an electronic rear locking differential. Both locking differentials reduce slip at the inside wheel without braking input. As a result, the driver can accelerate sooner out of corners and the car maintains its stability when braking at high speed. The locking differential also improves traction when accelerating from a standstill. Compared with the mechanical solution, the benefits of the electronic locking rear differential, which is standard equipment on the C 63 S, are its faster and more finely tuned control, thus pushing the physical limits of the driving envelope even higher. The standard 3-stage ESP® with the functions “ESP ON”, “SPORT Handling Mode” and “ESP OFF” is perfectly networked with the locking rear differential and expertly tuned to the high level of dynamics.

The electromechanical speed-sensitive sport steering ensures precise and agile handling, with the driver benefitting from a direct ratio and optimised response characteristics. It also has variable power assistance, whereby the steering force is adapted relative to the current vehicle speed. The power assistance reacts not only in accordance with vehicle speed, but also in line with current lateral acceleration and the drive programme chosen via AMG DYNAMIC SELECT.

The C 63 runs as standard on titanium grey painted and polished alloy wheels measuring 8.5 x 18 (front) and 9.5 x 18 (rear) in 10-spoke design and clad in 245/40 R 18 tyres (front) and 265/40 R 18 (rear). The tyre dimensions on the C 63 S are 245/35 R 19 (front) and 265/35 R 19 (rear) running on alloy wheels measuring 8.5 x 19 (front) and 9.5 x 19 (rear) in 5-twin-spoke design, painted in titanium grey and polished.

A high-performance, ceramic-composite brake system is available for the first time as optional equipment for the C 63 S. Optional sports tyres ensure a noticeable and measurable increase in grip.

AMG DYNAMIC SELECT drive programmes

The driver can use four different AMG DYNAMIC SELECT drive programmes to influence the characteristics of the C 63. The C 63 S has the additional “Race” programme, which enables a maximum level of individualisation. The driver defines the driving experience using a switch to the left of the touchpad. There is a choice of several different pre-configured driving programmes and an “Individual” drive programme, which allows extensive self-configuration.

“Controlled Efficiency” is the balanced drive programme with a comfortable suspension and steering set-up as well as fuel-optimised drivetrain settings – including soft gearshifts and a more restrained engine sound. The “Gliding Function” is completely new and delivers a further reduction in fuel consumption. If the driver lifts off the accelerator between 60 and 160 km/h, the clutch of the MCT transmission opens and the engine is decoupled from the drivetrain. The electronics system reduces the engine revs to idle, and the resistance generated by the compression and frictional forces produced under trailing throttle are reduced. The “Sport” and “Sport +” drive programmes increase sporting intensity. “Race” is reserved exclusively for the C 63 S and is the optimum setting for ambitious laps on a closed race track.

Form follows performance – the design reflects the technology

Form follows performance – the design of the powerful V8 top model is influenced by motorsport and reflects its fascinating technology. Sensual clarity combines with stylish sporting character – the Mercedes C 63 inspires fascination from the very first glance. From a visual standpoint, the Saloon and Estate are both clearly members of the Mercedes-AMG family. The exteriors of the C 63 and C 63 S are differentiated by specific design elements.

The emotional, sensual surface design of the new C-Class, with its reduced, minimalist forms, now has an added, positive tension that gives it a truly dynamic character. The wider track and powerful eight-cylinder call for a completely standalone front end. The Mercedes-AMG C 63 has aluminium front wings, widened on each side by 14 millimetres and bearing “V8 BITURBO” lettering. The entire front end has also been lengthened by 54 millimetres. In addition, the structure of the body-in-white has been reinforced in specific areas in order to compensate for the extreme longitudinal and transverse forces generated and transmitted by the drivetrain and running gear.

Mercedes-AMG sets clear accents in sporting character, expressed succinctly at the front end – gracing the long aluminium bonnet are two distinctive power domes. Together with the wider wings, they guarantee a particularly muscular look. Positioned low down and with a characteristic arrow form, the “twin blade” radiator grille with AMG lettering lowers the vehicle’s visual centre of gravity.

The “A-wing” takes a three-dimensional form and also serves as an airflow guide for the three cooling air intakes. Flics ensure optimum airflow to the cooling module. Along the lower edge of the front skirt, a front splitter helps to reduce lift. At the rear end, the diffuser insert with three fins is a feature carried over from motorsport, as are the visual air outlets positioned on either side. They generate defined air separation edges and improve the cd figure. The two chrome-plated twin end pipes of the AMG sport exhaust system are perfectly integrated into the diffuser. The C 63 Saloon has a separation edge on the boot lid, while the estate has a roof spoiler – each of which ensure even better grip at the rear axle.

Stunning interior design

Every detail in the interior of the C 63 contributes to a stunning overall effect. The careful choice of select, first-class materials, their sumptuous tactile qualities and their precision craftsmanship deliver a sense of quality that is seldom seen even in higher vehicle classes. Like the exterior, the more powerful C 63 S is distinguished from the C 63 on the inside by a number of design details.

The dashboard is finished in black ARTICO man-made leather, with the premium look-and-feel further enhanced by stitching in crystal grey, the wing-like trim element in aluminium and the AMG-exclusive, IWC-design analogue clock (depending on equipment choice). Next to the touchpad is the AMG DYNAMIC SELECT switch as well as a number of AMG-specific controls, such as the button for the 3-stage RIDE CONTROL sport suspension, the 3-stage ESP® and the optional button for the Performance exhaust system with flap control.

The instrument binnacle and the 3-spoke Performance steering wheel with 12-o’clock mark deliver a dynamically sporty ambience. Equipped with dedicated carbon-look dials, the speedometer scale goes all the way to 320 km/h. Performance seats are also available as an alternative to the standard sports seats in ARTICO man-made leather / DINAMICA microfibre. They give occupants a lower seating position and ensure increased lateral grip due to their more powerfully contoured form.

A range of further optional equipment means the Mercedes-AMG C 63 can be extensively tailored to individual preferences.

Exclusive and irresistible – the C 63 “Edition 1”

The Mercedes-AMG C 63 und C 63 S are also available from market launch in “Edition 1” variants – with a stunning and irresistible combination of exclusive design and equipment features. There are six attractive exterior paint finishes to choose from: polar white, designo diamond white bright, iridium silver metallic, palladium silver metallic, obsidian black metallic and the AMG-exclusive paint finish designo iridium silver magno. The “Edition 1” is available as saloon and estate and can be identified from the outside by a number of design highlights:

-Forged wheels in 8.5 x 19 and 9.5 x 19 cross-spoke design, painted matte black with the rim painted in red; tyres are 245/35 R 19 (front) and 265/35 R 19 (rear)
-Night package (A-wing and trim in high-gloss black, wing mirror housings in high-gloss black, sill cladding inlays in high-gloss black, waistline trim and window frames in high-gloss black, radiator grille with double fin in silver chrome, heat-insulating tinted glass rearward of B-pillar)
-Separation edge in high-gloss black (saloon only)
-Black-chromed twin end pipe fairings
-Red accents (decals) on radiator grille and wing mirrors
-Sport stripes (decals) in matte graphite grey above sill cladding

The distinctive colour combination carries into the interior:

-Performance seats, door centre panels and armrest in black nappa leather with diamond pattern and red contrasting stitching
designo seatbelts in red
-Performance steering wheel in DINAMICA microfibre, flattened bottom, with red 12-o’clock marking, red contrasting stitching, steering wheel fairing in silver chrome with “Edition 1” lettering and silver-coloured aluminium shift paddles
-Trim element in carbon red pepper / light aluminium with longitudinal grain and red filaments
-Foot mats in black with “AMG” lettering and piping in red

Highest safety levels

The stated aim of Mercedes-Benz is to make the highest level of safety available to all. For this reason, the C-Class features many of the new and extensively enhanced assistance systems that celebrated their world premieres just a few months ago in the S and E-Class. Standard equipment on-board the C 63 includes enhanced drowsiness warning system ATTENTION ASSIST and COLLISION PREVENTION ASSIST PLUS, which helps to avoid rear-end collisions. The assistance systems increase both comfort and safety. Mercedes-Benz calls this “Intelligent Drive”. The predecessor to the new C-Class already demonstrated impressive results in terms of passive safety. The new model exceeds these and sets new benchmarks.
Old 09-25-2014, 09:55 PM
Senior Moderator

Sedan...

Old 09-25-2014, 09:56 PM
Senior Moderator

Estate...

Old 09-25-2014, 09:57 PM
Senior Moderator

Interior...

The following 2 users liked this post by Yumcha:
00TL-P3.2 (09-26-2014), JS + XES (09-26-2014)
Old 09-25-2014, 10:00 PM
I love me some Curry...!

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Well done and these seat seal the deal!
Old 09-25-2014, 10:04 PM
Race Director

Received 596 Likes on 430 Posts
Old 09-25-2014, 11:10 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

i want the estate...............wagon i mean
Old 09-25-2014, 11:18 PM
Team Owner

Ipad doesn't bother me anymore.... Only if it had a stick.... sigh
Old 09-25-2014, 11:40 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

lol when was the last AMG car with MT anyway?
Old 09-25-2014, 11:48 PM
Team Owner

I'd take a C400 stick still. Wait they don't have that either.

You can tell MB never had stick on their mind when they designed the new C class.
They will have to have an almost completely different interior to accommodate the handbrake and stick... and relocate the whole Idrive crap and the cup holder cover.

Last edited by oonowindoo; 09-25-2014 at 11:51 PM.
Old 09-26-2014, 09:26 AM
2024 Honda Civic Type R

Received 1,475 Likes on 932 Posts
Those seats! Wow.
Old 09-26-2014, 09:50 AM
Fahrvergnügen'd

I'd take a C400 stick still. Wait they don't have that either.

You can tell MB never had stick on their mind when they designed the new C class.
They will have to have an almost completely different interior to accommodate the handbrake and stick... and relocate the whole Idrive crap and the cup holder cover.
I can't imagine that they ever had any intention of building that car with a manual transmission. If they did though, it would probably have an e-brake and not a mechanical handbrake.

Quick Reply: Mercedes-Benz: C-Class News